• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

the morality of frankeistein and genetic engineering

sushi

Local time
Today, 04:48
My understanding of frankeinstein is that do not play god and conduct experiments on human life and biology. Yet today, biotechnology and genetics, is moving more and more towards this direction. what consequences and benefits do you forsee in this trend, do you think it is ethical or not?

how bad or how good can it get?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today, 11:48
We can't play god. Playing god is establishing the rules of nature. What geneticists are doing are simply making things more efficient within said rules.

Like my prof once said, we are developing tech so fast that ethics can't keep up with them. I really would appreciate it if humanities people upgrade their stuff once in a while.

How good? Well how about the banishment of bad genes (sickle cell anemia, color blindness etc.)

How bad? I really don't care about that.

Cognisant

Condescending Bastard
Local time
Yesterday, 16:48

sushi

Local time
We can't play god. Playing god is establishing the rules of nature. What geneticists are doing are simply making things more efficient within said rules.

Like my prof once said, we are developing tech so fast that ethics can't keep up with them. I really would appreciate it if humanities people upgrade their stuff once in a while.

How good? Well how about the banishment of bad genes (sickle cell anemia, color blindness etc.)

genetic technology is different from others in sense it could be abused.
do you watch biotech movies like resident evil?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time

genetic technology is different from others in sense it could be abused.
do you watch biotech movies like resident evil?
Lolz. I'll wager that my college level bio and chem knowledge is much more dangerous than my biotech knowledge.

Yup, funny thing is, they're fiction.

Cognisant

Condescending Bastard
Local time
Yesterday, 16:48
Bioweapons exist, they're not the fun kind of bioweapons like zombies and monsters but rather highly infectious/debilitating diseases transmitted by difficult-to-contain vectors like fleas and mosquitoes.

Imagine you get bitten by a mosquito and just like that you've got Ebola, or AIDS, or Ebola and AIDS, or Ebola, AIDS and this really bad itch that won't go away.

You feel itchy now don't you?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Bioweapons exist, they're not the fun kind of bioweapons like zombies and monsters but rather highly infectious/debilitating diseases transmitted by difficult-to-contain vectors like fleas and mosquitoes.

Imagine you get bitten by a mosquito and just like that you've got Ebola, or AIDS, or Ebola and AIDS, or Ebola, AIDS and this really bad itch that won't go away.

Now that's basic microbiology and/or chemistry. You just need large amount of culture media/cells to breed bacteria and viruses for your warfare needs.

As for insect warfare, it's kinda less dramatic but still debilitating. See the 1989 medfly attack.

sushi

Local time

its not that simple when you can control and manipulate the entire genetic code.

Top Bottom