• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

~*The Paradox Thread*~

Amy Winehouse

Local time
Yesterday 10:50 PM
-->
If you all get raging mind boners when that last peace of the puzzle falls in place and your auto-pilot thought train derails into an infinite loop til you giggle like a schoolgirl, then this is the place for you!

1) Defining perfectly random numbers(or randomness in general). The consensus is that random numbers or events are those which came from no premise and/or were generated completely arbitrarily. Well THAT is now the premise for them. So they DO have a premise, and they are not arbitrary. The definition of a perfect random number is that is has no definition and around and around we go.:storks:

2) Your kill-death ratio when you go 10-0:kilroy:
KABOOM goodbye universe

3) "How do you feel about thoughts?"
4) "What do you think about feelings?"

What are your paradoxes?

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Today 12:50 AM
-->
1 No thing, nothing and Nothingness are random

3) How? but not where, when, who, what and Why?

4) What? " "

Paradoxes are created by the inadequacies of language, there are no paradoxes in reality.

However, there are double binds, e. g. Damned if it Is / Damned if it is Not

C.J_Finn

Local time
-->
There's the free will paradox. Basically, the Abrahamic god made every man with free will, but it also knows everything that has happened in the past, everything that's happening now, and everything that will happen in the future. So if this god exists then there is no free will since god already knows what you're going to do before you even know. People try to argue that god gives you choices, but this leads us back to god knowing the future which means that god knows what choice you'll choose.

SkyWalker

observing y'all from my UFO. inevitably coming dow
Local time
Today 6:50 AM
-->
The functions are paradoxical.

If you use Ne you have to ignore Si.

If you use Te you have to ignore Fi.

You cannot use them at the same time.

Amy Winehouse

Local time
-->

4) What? " "

Paradoxes are created by the inadequacies of language, there are no paradoxes in reality.

I never said I was talking about reality, I assume everything we "talk" about is in the context of language.

So what are all of your paradoxes( in the context of language and not necessarily reality) everyone! That seemed somewhat more gratuitous at the time.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Sorry! I have a warped sense of humor or so I have been told:smiley_emoticons_mr

I have never paid much attention to paradox, it seemed pointless e.g. the standard paradox "If God is omnipotent, can He create a stone He cannot destroy?" is a meaningless word game.

As far as psychological Double Binds, which are very real, I borrowed a few from

http://www.amazon.com/Paradoxes-Group-Life-Understanding-Jossey-Bass/dp/078793948X

click on the Table of Contents

A good read for the first 60 pages or so, which I summarized here

http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=2350

Is God paradoxical as Kierkegaard contends? I do not believe so, but if there is a single paradox n the universe it is most likely associated with God. Causality may be a paradox (?)

Omniscience and omnipotence are mutually exclusive philosophical abstractions, at least, in a quantum universe... see below

Amy Winehouse

Local time
-->
I do see what you mean though, I guess the crux of the paradox about randomness lies in an attempt to conform the concept to language, and the more I think about it, you can probably root a lot of words to their definitions and see a paradox.

Alternatively, you can click this link and see a paradoxies
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2444241810_e3c2a23d6d.jpg

Miniature daschunds are so cayoooote ^_^

Felan

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

4) What? " "

The only real paradox in that is what happened to number 2. Flushed away I suppose.

NRS

Madman in da making
Local time
Today 1:50 AM
-->
An omniscient God would know the effects of the placement of every atom... so he would predestine the universe through the butterfly effect, if nothing else.

Abraxas

γνῶσις
Local time
Today 7:50 AM
-->
What happened if Pinocchio said "My nose grows now."?

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
-->
His nose would grow. (The way you worded it says that it is growing at the time of the statement.)

Abraxas

γνῶσις
Local time
-->
His nose would grow. (The way you worded it says that it is growing at the time of the statement.)

I worded it on purpose that way.

The moment he says "now" is the moment when it's supposed to grow. So if it grows at that precise moment, why does it grow? He's telling the truth by pointing out that it is growing, so it can't grow right?

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
-->
But it wouldn't start growing until the end of the end of the statement. His nose didn't grow until the conclusion of whatever statement he was making.

fivepointer

Redshirt
Local time
-->
"If God is omnipotent, can He create a stone He cannot destroy?" is a meaningless word game.

To reference C.S. Lewis, this particular question would be akin to asking "is yellow round or square? Is funny nine or three?" Essentially, it's a nonsense question.

soupymess

kick trees
Local time
Today 5:50 AM
-->
"If We Did It"

A hypothetical confessional in the style of OJ's "If I Did It" written by a member of the secret cabal controlling world events. I think the title qualifies as one.. ?

aiyanah

_aded
Local time
-->
If you all get raging mind boners when that last peace of the puzzle falls in place and your auto-pilot thought train derails into an infinite loop til you giggle like a schoolgirl, then this is the place for you!

1) Defining perfectly random numbers(or randomness in general). The consensus is that random numbers or events are those which came from no premise and/or were generated completely arbitrarily. Well THAT is now the premise for them. So they DO have a premise, and they are not arbitrary. The definition of a perfect random number is that is has no definition and around and around we go.:storks:

2) Your kill-death ratio when you go 10-0:kilroy:
KABOOM goodbye universe

3) "How do you feel about thoughts?"
4) "What do you think about feelings?"

What are your paradoxes?
1. i find existence itself to be paradoxical.

2. that's at least 20 representatives of the collective out to get me and scheming my demise. needless to say it's bad karma but on that scale would be unsavory.

3. i think thoughts are messy little diagrams of the world we draw up for ourselves in private, how many perspectives one can manage in their own head is what defines clarity of thought.

4. great evolutionary tool for forming pack dynamics.
real pain in the arse when i have to deal with your feelings or you with mine.

general paradoxes
-god
-mandela effect
-fiction
-atheism vs religion
-religion vs religion
-nuclear energy meets greenpeace
-the general binary nature of the axions that make up reality as we know it right now

Top Bottom