• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

the word humane

ocean eyes

an undiscovered personality
Local time
Today 12:16 PM
-->
some where looking at the world through my window
Humane:
–adjective
1.characterized by tenderness, compassion, and sympathy for people and animals, esp. for the suffering or distressed:

Hold on, there is a method to my madness. I was thinking about humanity and and english project on vocabulary that i had a few years ago. I realized that our definition of humane is somewhat obsolete. Here is why:

How can humane be possible when the way of humans is to kill and torture? We no longer peacefully absolve conflict and kill animals withour causing to much pain and suffering. So how can they say they will do something humanely when the will of humans is to cause pain and kill? We fight wars, killing innocent people for reasons that make no sense.

Thoughts and comments?

citrusbreath95

Tourist of this dimension
Local time
Today 3:16 PM
-->
I've had this thought several times. I think the concept of the word humane is to spark the realization that humans are conscious of their actions. We are the only species (from as far as I know anyway) that can analyze their own behaviors, thoughts, feelings, and decisions. In the animal world, survivalism is of most importance. And while that may
correlate to the human world as well, because of our consciousness, we can go against natural instinct to help for the sake of others, even if it means risking our own health or safety. Humane is perhaps just putting an emphasis on going against this instinct that we share with other species; of staying alive, despite what it means to do such. And, thinking of how it effects the rest of the situation and those involved. The pain and distress that could potentially go along with said decision.

SkyWalker

observing y'all from my UFO. inevitably coming dow
Local time
Today 9:16 PM
-->
Introverts (Fi or Ti function) still are humane and will always be

Extraverts (Fe or Te function) are not, because the moral of society is not and they just copy

It's the job of introverts now to change the moral of society, so the extraverts can become humane again

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 1:16 PM
-->
I have always had a peeve with that word. It's the product of misguided enlightenment ideologies that thought man is inherently 'good'...

One more in the list of enemies of my War of the Words.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:16 PM
-->
Two words can be similar in some ways yet mean different things. "humane" may be derived from "human" or from whatever "human" was derived from, but they're not the same word. Their definitions don't have to rely on the definition of the other to retain it's meaning.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 7:16 PM
-->
Curously, yet understandably, I often confuse this word with methane.

Nocturne

Vesper.
Local time
-->
Humanity is limited. That is true. But there is good. As long as you look in the right places, 'humane' is not obsolete. Shall we forget the ones who actually mean what kindness they do?

Top Bottom