• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Total War!

Which Total War game do you like the most?

• Shogun

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medieval

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Rome

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Medieval II

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Napoleon

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Empire

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Shogun 2

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Lucifer van Satan

Local time
Today 9:09 AM
-->
Any Total War games fans here? I'm really surprised I haven't found any posts about the franchise on this forum :confused: .

I personally enjoyed the great mix of real-time and turn-based game all in one, my favorite being Shogun 2.
Which ones did you play? What did you like the most about them and what would you improve?

Finally, do you think that the entire "conquering the world" thing is more INTP-ish or INTJ-ish?
Curious to hear your thoughts.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 3:09 AM
-->
I used to play Shogun and Midieval. I liked them both. Got to where I could win on any faction at the harder level and haven't played since. Solid games I thought. I was wicked on defense.

kvothe27

Local time
Today 1:09 AM
-->
Rome with the historical accuracy mod was my favorite.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Today 12:09 AM
-->
I played Medieval. It was super fun. My computer at they time was crap, though. so I never got to command any battles. I played as Spain. Seemed like a good place to start, and it's easy to defend. Those Moors didn't know who they were dealing with:cool:

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 3:09 PM
-->
I only played the first Medieval game. I played Rome but got bored since my agents die of old age. I like to build my Assassins :D and kill pesky generals and religious figures. I enjoyed playing as the underdogs such as Late Game Byzantines and the Turks.

I think any personality type may dream of world domination. They just have different motives on doing it.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
Today 7:09 AM
-->
I've played Rome and Empire. I prefer Empire.

SW

Lucifer van Satan

Local time
-->
I've played Rome and Empire. I prefer Empire.

SW

Empire was beautiful and literarly world-conquering. Yet, AI was bad. The navy lost its significance in Napoleon, because Europe was the only map, but AI was better. Shogun 2 is a balance of the two.
I sincerely hope that they will do a remake of Empire, I love the historical period, the open-worldness and the units.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
Empire was beautiful and literarly world-conquering. Yet, AI was bad. The navy lost its significance in Napoleon, because Europe was the only map, but AI was better. Shogun 2 is a balance of the two.
I sincerely hope that they will do a remake of Empire, I love the historical period, the open-worldness and the units.

Yes, I agree. I've never played Shogun 2 – I'll try to do some at some point.

SW

Magus

Local time
-->
I only own Rome and Napoleon, both of which I found to be really great. Gameplay tends to get a bit repetitive sadly (you get used to the same unit combinations/tactics/maps) but oh well. I mostly stuck to pitched battles over the campaign (short attention span I guess).

Rome 2 looks fantastic though. I'm guessing many people have already seen the previews but here is a link to one if you haven't. The duel land/sea battles is a nice touch, its in some of the other videos like the siege of Carthage one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zf_DV9zhIQ

ummidk

Local time
Today 2:09 AM
-->
I think there really good games, I played shogun, Rome, Medieval, and Napoleon. Romes my favorite, but I only put a decent amount of time into Shogun and Rome because as Magus stated in the post above me, they get quite repetetive and Medieval/Napoleon felt very similar to Rome, and even more similar to each other.

Lucifer van Satan

Local time
-->
I only own Rome and Napoleon, both of which I found to be really great. Gameplay tends to get a bit repetitive sadly (you get used to the same unit combinations/tactics/maps) but oh well. I mostly stuck to pitched battles over the campaign (short attention span I guess).

Rome 2 looks fantastic though. I'm guessing many people have already seen the previews but here is a link to one if you haven't. The duel land/sea battles is a nice touch, its in some of the other videos like the siege of Carthage one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zf_DV9zhIQ

Yes, Rome II looks stunning. Yet, the guy in the video plays horribly :)
But I liked that at least he demonstrated the new battle bits about Rome II. It looks more realistic and complex than any of the previous games (AI looks great). We can only hope that all of that will contribute to some situations not being repetitive. The idea of bringing navy to help in land battles is amazing. We can finally plan our campaigns in a Lelouch-Lamperouge-like ways.
Pity that the map isn't larger, but yea... the limits of the known world back then.
Thanks for sharing the demo ;)

kvothe27

Local time
-->

Lucifer van Satan

Local time
-->

kvothe27

Local time
-->
How is shogun II compared to Empire? I didn't like Empire much.

Lucifer van Satan

Local time
-->
Well, even though maps are different, Empire is definitely bigger. And it is taking place in a very exciting historical period of imperialism, those two making the navy much more important. And that's about it, everything else is a caricature of Napoleon. So worse AI, a lot larger regions than necessary etc.

Compared to that, Shogun II is amazing. AI is the best in the series. Campaign is better in a lot of ways, starting form the new contract options, family and general management, relatively small map (but the navy is still important in this game) and unique political relations, different bonuses from each clan, different units nation-wide etc. I still don't like how everyone starts hating on you once you get more than "noted". You need to be seriously dedicated to improving relations if you don't want everyone rushing to take you down. There are also a few more things worth mentioning but that's about it.

Top Bottom