• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Trance, Hardstyle, electro, EDM music?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:34 PM
-->
Super hard to find good hardstyle. I tried and it's the only fun track I got
Can you recommend anything?

Some good trance stuff I found recently:
Uplifting trance is too slow and needs to be more melodic, full on trance needs less distorted moments and uses too much of the same synthesizer.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 9:04 PM
-->
I heard the song you posted above and groked this genre. I believe that there is a genre that is perhaps better than this and also fulfils all the requirements except one: diverse percussions (this is not what you specified but believe me, you need it after some time)

I am talking about DnB.

DnB has one caveat though and that is it is a lot like metalcore: good stuff is really good and average stuff is corny and bad stuff sounds like mario's soundtrack.

Also, special mention to Skrillex and Aphex Twin. They are not too concerned with melody but the occasional break from formula is nice. Also, they are pretty hard.

Skrillex:
- kill everybody
- kyoto
- bangarang
- cimema

For DnB:
- Rameses B: Neon Rainbow
- Feint: Words: We won't be alone
- Cartoon: Why we lose
- INTERCOM: Decoy World
- Be electric: The Qemists
- Rameses B: Timeless ft.Veela

Special mentions:
- Dance with the dead: Go
- DWTD: Riot
- Seven Lions: (Dabin's Remix) Freesol
- MitiS: Moments

joynerwheel

Redshirt
Local time
Today 10:34 PM
-->
Still heard Mario soundtrack? i just play Super Mario bros

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
After listening to DnB and a lot of different EDM genres I could find I concluded that there are exceptions in most of them that I enjoy, but I can't pin them to a single genre. Each EDM genre has something good to offer, though it's lost in a sea of generic and uninspired music, but the same problem exists outside of EDM in metal and other genres too.

Stuff I enjoyed covers synthwave, trance, DnB, chiptune, electro swing etc. Best examples here if you're looking for some EDM to try:

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 9:04 PM
-->
I recently found another amazing track of your requirements. Careful to not listen it it too frequently or else it will lose its appeal. It has for me and that is obvious due to lack of cerebralness to it found in evergreen songs (even simple ones such as 'Losing My Religion')

Another trance + trap + DnB I found is this artist: seversvlt. However, as usual, the tracks become rather monotonous after you listen to them a couple of times. Also, try not to consume too many of their songs, they are quite similar in most aspects, you will lose the fun.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
TY BurnedOut :)
I love this one it's the best antidepressant for me:

mikrokosmos

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:34 PM
-->
As someone who isn't familiar with these music genres (besides electro swing), what do you all find appealing about them? And are these the kinds of genres that best suit certain situation (like background noise as you're doing an activity) or certain moods? I ask all this from a place of curiosity.

I know for me personally, I enjoy listening to post rock when I'm feeling introspective, but like some of you have mentioned, some genres are more repetitive in nature, and post rock is certainly one of those genres. That's why I tend to use the music to help focus on another thing rather than on the music exclusively. Though that isn't to say the music itself isn't excellent!

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
As someone who isn't familiar with these music genres (besides electro swing), what do you all find appealing about them?
The appeal, to me at least, is in the strong tempo and patterns that help with focusing on work or in the musical soundscapes that are not unlike those in post rock. EDM music can be melodic and satisfying rhythmically, but is generally simpler than prog metal or jazz fusion etc so it doesn't tax my attention when working. Frankly I listened to so much progressive rock and metal over the last 20 years of my life that I needed a progressive metal sounding music in a different flavor or style to take a break from the guitars.

I recently discovered complextro and more progressive trance that finally does what I want EDM to do. Here's a rundown of the cool stuff. It generally pays to follow good artists and ignore the genre labels. I dig most of Nhato's and Taishi's music.

Also terran themes from starcraft are killer productivity music and fall into 'electro'

PiedPiper

Breathe
Local time
Today 8:34 AM
-->
Super hard to find good hardstyle. I tried and it's the only fun track I got
Can you recommend anything?

Some good trance stuff I found recently:
Uplifting trance is too slow and needs to be more melodic, full on trance needs less distorted moments and uses too much of the same synthesizer.
Boris Brejcha
Tony Igy
Robert Miles
Bad Smith
Metaprog

Phoenix (feat. Helen Engels) - YouTube
My name is hardstyle - YouTube
ANJ - Atria (Original Mix) [Fresco Records]
Authority - YouTube
No Control - YouTube
SKREN - STAUB (Video Version) #industrialmusic #ebm #industrial #darkelectro - YouTube
Revolt - YouTube
Pillow Talk (Can We Just Fuck Already?) - YouTube
Demon Dance - YouTube
RYLLZ - Purgatory - YouTube
We All Shall Die - YouTube

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
What kind of electronic music would you point to with a similar complexity as progressive or jazz fusion?

I was introduced to IDM years back and something like Autechre is the main thing that springs to mind.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
What kind of electronic music would you point to with a similar complexity as progressive or jazz fusion?

I was introduced to IDM years back and something like Autechre is the main thing that springs to mind.
Autechre sounds percussion dense, high tempo and slightly psychedelic. What kind of jazz fusion are we talking?

Try this first and let me know if it's the right thing:

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
This is great! Boris Brejcha is interesting. Metaprog is the best Goa Trance I've ever heard. 'My name is hardstyle' is the kind of hardstyle I was looking for. ANJ is really good too.

Will listen to the rest later, thanks :)

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->

Autechre sounds percussion dense, high tempo and slightly psychedelic. What kind of jazz fusion are we talking?

Try this first and let me know if it's the right thing:

Hahaha, listening to these makes me feel like a grumpy old man. Bits of Tin Soldier was okay. Thanks for putting these together though.

I was mostly curious. I wouldn't consider these complex in the same way that listening to a jazz fusion group like Mahavishnu Orchestra or Frank Zappa is as this music feels more tonal and predictable. That's not a good or bad thing, being complex or simple isn't what makes music good.

I had a friend who was really into electronic music and of the stuff he showed me it was mostly some IDM and Warp Records groups that I really enjoy listening to. Mostly the most talked about ones like Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Autechre, etc. So I should probably start there again and branch out into associated acts.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Hahaha, listening to these makes me feel like a grumpy old man. Bits of Tin Soldier was okay. Thanks for putting these together though.

I was mostly curious. I wouldn't consider these complex in the same way that listening to a jazz fusion group like Mahavishnu Orchestra or Frank Zappa is as this music feels more tonal and predictable. That's not a good or bad thing, being complex or simple isn't what makes music good.
Try finding another Frank Zappa in any genre :D, he is unique. The issue with "IDM" or "EDM" is that a lot of it isn't going to be like Zappa or Mahavishnu because they are at some level a form of dance music with a clearly defined, repetitive beat and structure. This is going to limit the amount of free form experimentation that you would expect from something "Zappa".

In a fundamental sense most pieces of music have a rhythm, harmony and melody. So complexity of any given track can be expressed with lots of layered tones making interesting harmony, advanced relationships between rhythmic elements or its sheer density or patterns and finally a melody can be extensively developed into phrases, motifs, counter melodies, storytelling, soundscapes and so on.

From what I've heard of Frank Zappa is an experimental musician. His music is very advanced rhythmically with many note subdivisions, polyrhythms and so on. His melodies are sometimes advanced and sometimes really basic and his harmony is super simple. Mahavishnu is characterized by very simple harmony, and more complex melody and rhythm. Some prog rock, some jazz and some psychedelic rock in there.

Based on Autechre, Zappa and Jazz you seem to be looking for fewer instruments, maybe 3-5 layers at most, complex rhythm and experimental artists. Things that could be completely absent for you are: structure, motives, melody or harmony. But at the same time I think you like new and unique sound and it doesn't have to be similar to what you are familiar with.
I had a friend who was really into electronic music and of the stuff he showed me it was mostly some IDM and Warp Records groups that I really enjoy listening to. Mostly the most talked about ones like Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Autechre, etc. So I should probably start there again and branch out into associated acts.
Aphex Twin is experimental in a similar vein of Autechre so it's a good starting point. It has that Zappa rhythm going for it too sometimes.

I think you're simply looking for experimental, unique music of any kind :p so sticking to genre labels won't help much with discovering the most outlandish of outliers. My favorite experimental musician has to be Sevish. I'm curious what you think about the first two tracks.
Other cool finds

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->

Try finding another Frank Zappa in any genre :D, he is unique. The issue with "IDM" or "EDM" is that a lot of it isn't going to be like Zappa or Mahavishnu because they are at some level a form of dance music with a clearly defined, repetitive beat and structure. This is going to limit the amount of free form experimentation that you would expect from something "Zappa".

In a fundamental sense most pieces of music have a rhythm, harmony and melody. So complexity of any given track can be expressed with lots of layered tones making interesting harmony, advanced relationships between rhythmic elements or its sheer density or patterns and finally a melody can be extensively developed into phrases, motifs, counter melodies, storytelling, soundscapes and so on.

From what I've heard of Frank Zappa is an experimental musician. His music is very advanced rhythmically with many note subdivisions, polyrhythms and so on. His melodies are sometimes advanced and sometimes really basic and his harmony is super simple. Mahavishnu is characterized by very simple harmony, and more complex melody and rhythm. Some prog rock, some jazz and some psychedelic rock in there.

Based on Autechre, Zappa and Jazz you seem to be looking for fewer instruments, maybe 3-5 layers at most, complex rhythm and experimental artists. Things that could be completely absent for you are: structure, motives, melody or harmony. But at the same time I think you like new and unique sound and it doesn't have to be similar to what you are familiar with.
Aphex Twin is experimental in a similar vein of Autechre so it's a good starting point. It has that Zappa rhythm going for it too sometimes.

I think you're simply looking for experimental, unique music of any kind :p so sticking to genre labels won't help much with discovering the most outlandish of outliers. My favorite experimental musician has to be Sevish. I'm curious what you think about the first two tracks.
Other cool finds

I'm finding Sevish more interesting so far and could see myself giving it more of a listen (I've got Rhythm and Xen playing in the background at the moment.) :)

That's fair enough. I'm not a musician and I'm not musically trained. So I'm sure when you say something is complex that's more in alignment with music theory. I think your assessment of my taste in music is right. Maybe it's more accurate to say experimental and novel rather than complex. I appreciate popular music that incorporates experimental aspects like the Beach Boys, Kendrick Lamar or Bjork for example. It isn't an edge lord thing so much as what excites me.

I definitely have a tendency towards complex rhythms and polyrhythms. I like other music as well though. Like these pieces for example, more ambient than dance, that are more about creating an atmosphere:

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm finding Sevish more interesting so far and could see myself giving it more of a listen (I've got Rhythm and Xen playing in the background at the moment.) :)

That's fair enough. I'm not a musician and I'm not musically trained. So I'm sure when you say something is complex that's more in alignment with music theory. I think your assessment of my taste in music is right. Maybe it's more accurate to say experimental and novel rather than complex. I appreciate popular music that incorporates experimental aspects like the Beach Boys, Kendrick Lamar or Bjork for example. It isn't an edge lord thing so much as what excites me.

I definitely have a tendency towards complex rhythms and polyrhythms. I like other music as well though. Like these pieces for example, more ambient than dance, that are more about creating an atmosphere:
You're the second person I know who's at least open to listening Sevish and I tried quite a few people so you're definitely an experimentalist :D

Sevish uses microtones to make music, which means sounds with frequencies outside of the western chromatic scale. It's an example of harmonic complexity, it leads to the creation of new groups of tones and new relations between tones. Most people become habituated listening to the familiar 12 tones (notes) of the chromatic scale and when they are presented with the Hindu Shruti scale which has 22 tones or something microtonal like Sevish they just hear it as noise and ignore it. A lot of brilliant new music can be made if the western scale is abandoned and musicians are only beginning to explore these things (It's a late 20th century and 21st century idea). Microtones take some getting used to, so if you don't get one track, you could try listening a few more times because your ear is unused to listening to sounds outside of the usual frequencies. Most people would need to be retrained to start recognizing this as music and not noise. It would be great to expand the audience for this music into the thousands as that would encourage more musicians to make it.

Re complexity. It's a subjective description, or at least something is complex in relation to mainstream music. Stuff that sounds "complex" to one person could be "typical" to another. Abstraction of ideas and quantity of elements both give rise to complexity, mainstream music generally has fewer elements and the ideas are also simpler. Music doesn't need multiple instruments to be novel. A solo singer could make complex music by jumping vocal registers, using different techniques to produce sound, changing the rhythm, dynamically varying the volume, producing a different timbre, texture of voice, making pauses, singing in microtones (singers frequently produce notes that are just a bit off pitch or slide between notes in a way no other instrument can). Music isn't done, we're just done exploring the western 12 tone canon of it, just a small fraction of stuff that's possible.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->

You're the second person I know who's at least open to listening Sevish and I tried quite a few people so you're definitely an experimentalist :D

Sevish uses microtones to make music, which means sounds with frequencies outside of the western chromatic scale. It's an example of harmonic complexity, it leads to the creation of new groups of tones and new relations between tones. Most people become habituated listening to the familiar 12 tones (notes) of the chromatic scale and when they are presented with the Hindu Shruti scale which has 22 tones or something microtonal like Sevish they just hear it as noise and ignore it. A lot of brilliant new music can be made if the western scale is abandoned and musicians are only beginning to explore these things (It's a late 20th century and 21st century idea). Microtones take some getting used to, so if you don't get one track, you could try listening a few more times because your ear is unused to listening to sounds outside of the usual frequencies. Most people would need to be retrained to start recognizing this as music and not noise. It would be great to expand the audience for this music into the thousands as that would encourage more musicians to make it.

Re complexity. It's a subjective description, or at least something is complex in relation to mainstream music. Stuff that sounds "complex" to one person could be "typical" to another. Abstraction of ideas and quantity of elements both give rise to complexity, mainstream music generally has fewer elements and the ideas are also simpler. Music doesn't need multiple instruments to be novel. A solo singer could make complex music by jumping vocal registers, using different techniques to produce sound, changing the rhythm, dynamically varying the volume, producing a different timbre, texture of voice, making pauses, singing in microtones (singers frequently produce notes that are just a bit off pitch or slide between notes in a way no other instrument can). Music isn't done, we're just done exploring the western 12 tone canon of it, just a small fraction of stuff that's possible.

I did listen to Sevish a bit more. This is probably my favourite track so far :^^:

Being honest there aren't any Sevish pieces I've heard that sound like noise or are inaccessible to me. It sounds like quirky dance music. By your logic I'm guessing I must've already heard a lot of microtonal music without realising it.

When I was 19 I first started training myself to like experimental music after listening to Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica. After that a lot of things are easier to listen to, I'm curious if it has any microtonality or not :dolphin: But I agree it can be hard for the public to make that transition, especially when people are accustomed to having short attention spans with music.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Being honest there aren't any Sevish pieces I've heard that sound like noise or are inaccessible to me. It sounds like quirky dance music. By your logic I'm guessing I must've already heard a lot of microtonal music without realising it.

When I was 19 I first started training myself to like experimental music after listening to Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica. After that a lot of things are easier to listen to, I'm curious if it has any microtonality or not :dolphin: But I agree it can be hard for the public to make that transition, especially when people are accustomed to having short attention spans with music.
You've adapted to Jazz. Jazz, especially Jazz avant-garde, is in itself a huge departure from popular and classical music, because it discards the structure, favors improvisation, solos and even does stuff like mimicking human speech, animals, noises and ambient sounds with instruments to create impressions of shouting, arguments or talking, street traffic and so on. There are microtonal elements to Jazz, first thing that comes to mind is the trumpet, it's a very flexible instrument that doesn't have to produce clear notes and often slides between sounds. Brass instruments in general do a lot of mimicry of speech and 'noisiness', as do the vocalists.
This fragment is not even 'music' in a strict sense. It's a trumpet creating a voice that lies outside of the chromatic scale, it's speech and mumbling without planned microtones, but it is microtonal.

By broadening your tastes towards Jazz you've definitely made it easier to wrap your head around any other type of music. Sevish isn't that crazy rhythmically or structurally so I understand why it's no biggie when you're used to free form improvisation.

I like unstructured improvisation and stuff, but I also enjoy structure and tight repetition that EDM often does very well. One thing is certain though, we need an improvisation focused thread and some experimental threads to discuss this more :)

Can you listen to Frank Zappa or experimental things every day? For me it's something to try when I want to focus solely on the performance and have an experience. But when it comes to daily music habits I want music that is structured and fits a particular energy or mood that I want to enhance when I do something else.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->

You've adapted to Jazz. Jazz, especially Jazz avant-garde, is in itself a huge departure from popular and classical music, because it discards the structure, favors improvisation, solos and even does stuff like mimicking human speech, animals, noises and ambient sounds with instruments to create impressions of shouting, arguments or talking, street traffic and so on. There are microtonal elements to Jazz, first thing that comes to mind is the trumpet, it's a very flexible instrument that doesn't have to produce clear notes and often slides between sounds. Brass instruments in general do a lot of mimicry of speech and 'noisiness', as do the vocalists.
This fragment is not even 'music' in a strict sense. It's a trumpet creating a voice that lies outside of the chromatic scale, it's speech and mumbling without planned microtones, but it is microtonal.

By broadening your tastes towards Jazz you've definitely made it easier to wrap your head around any other type of music. Sevish isn't that crazy rhythmically or structurally so I understand why it's no biggie when you're used to free form improvisation.

I like unstructured improvisation and stuff, but I also enjoy structure and tight repetition that EDM often does very well. One thing is certain though, we need an improvisation focused thread and some experimental threads to discuss this more :)

Can you listen to Frank Zappa or experimental things every day? For me it's something to try when I want to focus solely on the performance and have an experience. But when it comes to daily music habits I want music that is structured and fits a particular energy or mood that I want to enhance when I do something else.

Yeahhh, sorry if I've hijacked your thread. I don't mind if we created another one.

Free-form improvisation is the ideal that I strive towards in all the art-forms that I'm personally involved with. As I think this is synonymous with being in a flow state and that it's art as it's directly lived in the moment that is the most fun and life-celebrating to participate in as an artist. It exists in that moment to never be repeated again in the exact same way.

I'd add that I think improvisation is usually contingent on structure and the mastery of that first though. For example, in massage therapy they will learn certain defined structures and routines and once they've mastered those they'll begin improvising within the structures. So there is structure behind the improvisation, it's just invisible and in the background.

I think it's the same with music, most jazz musicians (including Frank Zappa) are highly disciplined and have probably spent time mastering musical structures. Even avant-jazz will often have structures like a base rhythm that gets improvised over, e.g.:

Beefheart is something of an anomaly and falls more under the category of "outsider art". He's definitely inspired by avant-garde jazz like Ornette Coleman (and blues music primarily like Howlin Wolf). But he had no musical training, he literally just sat down at a piano for the first time and banged these pieces out. It's also a myth that it's improvised. The horn pieces are probably improvised. The guitar and drum pieces were rehearsed to come out the same way each time it's played.

To answer your question it depends on how we define experimental. I listen to Zappa / Coleman / Beefheart kind of music a lot. But I'd also count something like The Beatles' Sgt. Peppers or Beach Boy's Pet Sounds as experimental and I think we'd both agree they're pretty accessible and easy albums to listen to.

Top Bottom