• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Type Reading | Series

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
Today 2:29 AM
-->
Hellos! ^_^

I'll be releasing the rest of the videos in the Larin Visual Reading series all in this one thread to condense space. Please feel free to ask any questions.

SeFi ::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0DhS7Mp3A0

@Ink & others, sorry for my recent irritation. >.<
I was stressed out a bit, but I'll be nicer from now on, I pwomise..

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
Today 9:29 AM
-->
Re: Type Reading - Aggregation

Auburn, do you feel your understanding complements the stickied Cognitive Functions 100 thread that Adymus compiled?

Either way, if you're putting so much effort into organising these videos, maybe this thread should be stickied. @mods?

Ink

Local time
Today 10:29 AM
-->

Great stuff, I would've typed Robert Pattinson as Ni-dom, but your typing makes more sense...

Cybeny

Lead, follow, or get out of the way
Local time
Today 10:29 PM
-->

These are looking great Auburn! :)

I really liked those signal tips in the latest one. They do a great job of explaining what to look for. Sometimes just the video with the annotations can be a bit overwhelming.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
Today 3:29 AM
-->

Is the SeFi video a celebrity? She looks like somebody I went to school with who is now into movies and tv.

Are the enhancements to the video your own work?

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
-->

I'm still not totally sold on this concept, but after seeing the intp one I'm a lot more convinced. Do you have any sources that I could study from and test out?

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->

:D Awesome!
I'm glad you're finding it relating to your experience. I definitely wouldn't expect anyone to accept it if it isn't apparent in their own life's exposure, and I can't expect anyone to be able to compare it to their life unless I present a comprehensive/complete theory. So I definitely gotta get to that first. I hope to release a lot more soon. Thus far this is the material I can provide:

Current Articles:

Spoiler: The NiFe video will be coming out next. (likely tomorrow)​

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->

NiFe / (INFJ)
Film demonstrating what an NiFe (mbti-"INFJ") really looks like, with a medium list of signals. This video features 5 NiFe examples. (full-view to read the text :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YCQCMt4uwM

- NiFe : Jane Goodall
- NiFe : Olivia Williams
- NiFe : Leonardo DiCaprio
- NiFe : Morgan Freeman
- NiFe : Bruce Lee

As well as two comparison features between:
- NiTe : Aubrey Plaza
- NiFe : Cate Blanchett

I hope this helps for those who are confused as to being TiNe, NiTe or NiFe. FiNe will also be released eventually.

@Cheeseumpuffs - I took your advice and broke down a few cues via pausing & explaining. Couldn't do it for all of them but i hope it's clearer.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:29 PM
-->

I love these, keep 'em coming!

Note: At about 5.23, when you've got the Hierarchy Chart and are talking about proportions, I think the second line is meant to read 'the judgement wheel' rather than 'perception wheel'.

"The Perception Wheel is largest because it occupies the largest role in the individual's psychic consideration, while the perception wheel is secondary and supportive of that consideration."

The pausing and explaining makes it much clearer.

Ink

Local time
-->

I would've typed dicaprio as Si-Fe, I am curious Auburn how much material of a person do you watch before making a typing?

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->

@cheese - oh, drat. i'm wondering if i should re-upload it. perhaps before i do, does anyone else see any other error i can fix while i'm at it? o.o (thanks cheese!)

@Ink - We seem to be differing a bit less now in opinion, I'm glad.

If the signal is strong and evident I can type a person in a couple seconds.
But for these videos, I'm being more cautious, of course. I've probably watched about an hour+ of film for each?

It doesn't take that long if you've already spent months around people of that type and identified the signature of their behavior. Y'see it's not just a list of signals, there is a reason to each signal and that reason is tied to a psychological cause. So reading a person's type visually isn't arbitrarily deducing, but just a much more honed version of the type of reading we all do by instinct.

You can read when a person is upset, or happy, or confused.

I can read when a person is contemplating their worldview, or assessing their moral/logical compass.

I can see when a person is emitting an interpersonal smile for the purpose of impact, or when their smile is giddy and accidental.

It is not all that different from the way humans draw associations in every other area of study. A person shrivels their face a certain way and somehow we know that they're "angry". We weren't born knowing what angry faces appear as. How we know this is because in times past we've seen that face and observed that hostile actions or violence follows. That association was made. It's the same here with this theory.

Mentally understand at least one person, however many months that takes you, and then observe them in action. Try seeing how/why their psychology is giving rise to their countenance. See them in varying states (excited, sad, happy, neutral) and learn the general threshold of their expression's variation - and what signals they most emit, never or rarely emit, and what it means.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->

- NiFe : Jane Goodall
- NiFe : Olivia Williams
- SeNi : Leonardo DiCaprio
- NiFe : Morgan Freeman
- SeNi : Bruce Lee

As well as two comparison features between:
- NiTe : Aubrey Plaza
- NiFe : Cate Blanchett

Bruce Lee with that inferior Se! Dicaprio I could understand if it weren't for the fact he sucked in school and is to consequent in his way of acting (irl) to be an INFJ chameleon.

Ink

Local time
-->

It was a long time I ago I typed him as Si-Fe, just watched a couple of clips of him and I can definitely see the Ni-dom there... Btw, I still see both Jim Parsons and Jimmy Fallons as Ti-Nes, still hold on to that they use Fi?

Ink

Local time
-->

I remember a bucnh of people typed Bruce Lee as ISTP, since they share all the functions is it possible you mistyped him Auburn? Haven't watched anything of him personally though...

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->

@Cherry Cola - Well as per the video, Se is the second most fundamental aspect of the NiFe's identity -- and the necessary point to reach for the Ni-Se wheel to oscillate. The fourth function is wrongly named "inferior" (i prefer "polar" since it is the polarity of the lead process) as it plays a crucial and complex part in the psyche.

It is actually quite typical for Ni-leads to have a sensational fetish, and Bruce Lee is an example of an NiFe mastering their Se through the often mystical lens of Ni.

@Ink - It is possible that I mistyped him given there is little footage of him. Though I've seen most all his movies, which are less reliable sources. But I think if you compare the footage available and compare with TiSe, he resembles NiFe a lot more.

Here's an example of a TiSe: Tony Hawk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hLrt5wFlmo

While watching think back to the TiNe video. You should see a lot of correlations. The way his posture is passively held, meticulous and constantly receding back into himself. Yet instead of the Ne eyes he has the Ni/Se zone-out at places like 0:39.

At places like 0:57 he momentum-halts quite intensively, before pushing out Fe strongly.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->

An INFJ who mastered his inferior function before turning 32 considering he died at that age, and who spent his life trying to come up with the perfect fighting style of no style and mastering it?

Sounds terribly INFJ:ish. No wait it sounds ISTP:ish and is part of the reason why everyone and their grandmother concluded that he is one. The fact that you think you can tell otherwise through reading gestures is arrogant.

If put on a scale the gesture reading would come up as 1kilo, whereas the actual analyzing of the persons behaviour and what his thoughts were would come up somewhere above 100kg, in the case of Bruce, likely more.

How is this any different from Pod Lair? Where's the evidence? All I see is an attempt to compensate for a lack of willingness to do the hard work and unwillingness to admit that it needs to be done. Gestures vary according to a lot of stuff, such as social context, mood, energy level, health, mental health, level of comfort with interviewer etc etc.

I see a ton of students and teachers at the school I work do them everyday, very few of them are INFJ's.

I'm not cathegorically claiming the method invalid, but I disapprove of it being used as a shortcut. I stands within reason that the material used for determining type by means of visual cues should be a lot larger and more varied too allow for any certain conclusion to be reached. This is just looking at a complex geometrical object from one view and then deciding "that's how it looks" without bothering to check it out from all the different angles. Or grading a film after having watched a few minutes... simple metaphores but really.

The result is crap like Bruce Lee being an INFJ.

Edit: It would be awesome if he was though.

samjonathan

often inexplicably absent for long periods of time
Local time
Today 7:59 PM
-->

i really really like what you're doing here auburn, the only thing i don't like about it is that it's not all available for me to read right now, suffice to say i relate a lot to the stuff you've said and i've been looking for the function cues you've demonstrated in people i know.... aaaaaaaanywayyy keep up the good work man :cool:

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Regarding snarling smile, warming smile - Can't I decide myself who have what? What if I say it's the other way around? The 'snarling smile' seems more genuine, and can therefor be interpreted as true/warming. The 'warming smile' as fake/snarling. Would you say I would be deluded?

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
That works too. It can be seen from both angles.
(I'd argue both are genuine in their own way).

What's most important is that a distinction be seen between them. If the word "warm" is too ambiguous, try instead to just look at the event/motion taking place and what the pattern of the behavior is doing.

Like in the phrase "Fe warm push", what is actually happening is there is a bell-shaped acceleration/deceleration (swell) in the path of the limb's movements, whereas the term "Te blunt/quick Push" refers to a quick/sharp spike in acceleration which is then maintained at a more leveled plateau of velocity for the continuation of the motion. An attempt to explain, below:

ppDTeVy.png
And so this could be tracked and the shape of the graph could be plotted with motion-sensing software. The limb motions of Fe/Ti users will plot a different graph than that of Te/Fi, even if it isn't quite like the quick visualization above. Which is an oversimplification.

The voice should also generally match that pattern and it's important to use the voice's fluctuation to double-check which of the two it is. One cue is not disconnected from the rest of the cues. There are a few cases where contradictions rise when signals are taken in isolation, but the essence of the cognitive process isn't in the particular signal (the signals are byproducts/effects which can help identify them).

I should clarify though that my aim is to point people in the direction of these phenomenons by giving the most 'literal', unambiguous and contrasted signals, which definitely suffices in communicating the phenomenon. But the most literal and reductionistic approach to reading people will not hold true 100% of the time, though it will hold true most of the time.

This phenomenon is far too complex, as is the mind, to be that easy to crack. If the patterns were really that obvious and had zero cross-over we'd have figured it out long ago. So it's important to keep in mind that the Larin series is a framework. It can provide a template to what the most "default" appearance of each type is (but not account for all the millions of flavors, which takes real-life experience to catalogue).

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 10:29 PM
-->
So the diagrams above are currently mislabelled?

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
No? :confused:

Fe warm push ::
A bell-shaped acceleration/deceleration (swell) in the path of the limb's movements.

Te blunt/quick Push ::
A quick/sharp spike in acceleration which is then maintained at a more leveled plateau of velocity for the continuation of the motion.

The Fe/Ti graph has the bell shape,
The Fi/Te graph lines quickly rise then proceed to stay on a level plateau.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:29 AM
-->
@Auburn

When will the Jungian Functions Assessment on Cognitive Type be complete? :cat:

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 10:29 PM
-->
You changed it, Auburn! Edit ninja, I swear. You had TeFi on the bells, and TiFe on the plateaus! :phear:

Or I go crazy :storks:

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Thanks, I understand now what you meant, maybe... Yes, I agree, that if you find differences consistently, one can label the phenomena as one think is descriptive. How others will interpret the limb movement isn't so important.

The graph describing the Fe/Ti is funny though. It's like one transforms steadily back and fourth from a dead doll, to super alive. While Te/Fi is more humanly on at a steady phase, with a few 'snarls' occasionally. Maybe one can liken an adventure with a Te/Fi to road trip, with the occasional curves and steady lively scenic influence. While the affair with the Fe/Ti is an ocean voyage, with large steady waves, that feels like falling in to crush you at the bottom, and that one can fly at the tops.

Nonetheless. Both persons/voyages/trips will provide pleasures. Maybe do one each second week :cool:,

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
Today 11:29 AM
-->
@Auburn

Just a note, the new NiFe video seems to be un available on the cognitive type website (!!)

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
hahahaha does this have sources or anything resembling coherence?

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
@Auburn

Just a note, the new NiFe video seems to be un available on the cognitive type website (!!)
Really? :confused:
It's up for me. Mm.. perhaps refresh or revisit the page?
http://cognitivetype.com/visualreading/
It should be next to SeFi, unless your monitor isn't widescreen, as it could be cut-off the edge of the page. The direct link's here:
http://cognitivetype.com/visualreading/vnife.html

@forum - what are your thoughts on the content thus far? are the things described in the videos things you can see irl?

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
-->
@Auburn

I can see 20 video slots (including ones uploaded), is that the right amount? I still can't see it, perhaps this is an issue you should consider.

As far as the content goes, I've already used it several times :eek: and it works ;), but I do cross check to make sure.

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
Yeah, it was probably off the page. Fixed it, I believe?
Thanks for the heads-up Cooly! ^^

I'm gonna start production
on the remaining videos soon,

Q. What types would you guys like to see next?:kodama1:

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
Today 5:29 AM
-->

If your functional analysis theory checks out, then we ought to see the same functions but in the opposite order in polar types; therefore, since we've seen the INTP and most of us here are INTPs, let's do the ESFJ next. It would be the ultimate test of your concept.

-Duxwing

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
@forum - what are your thoughts on the content thus far? are the things described in the videos things you can see irl?
Every time I see these visuals I ask myself, "Which came first? The visuals or the temperament names? For example, do we see the TiNe visuals first and then label them "TiNe"? How do we know they are TiNe or do we assume that? Do we equate TiNe to the verbal descriptions? If this question is not clear Auburn, I can try harder .

Cybeny

Lead, follow, or get out of the way
Local time
Today 10:29 PM
-->
Hey Auburn.

If I PMed you a video of myself, would you be able to quickly type me using your techniques? I'm pretty sure I know what type I am, but I'd be interested to see if your system gives me the same result.

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
-->

Problem solved.

ENTP
ISTP
INFP
ESFJ

Just to help alleviate confusion, and that with these types in the bag, they will be good experience for anything I believe.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
@Auburn
One of the most glaring things I didn't state before is the age representations of the videos are not random. Could this be because the ages represented are the most practical for those who wish to select people for vocations and therefore value MBTI?

By selecting this age group, would not MBTI conclusions be more likely to stand out because of incomplete cognitive development? Could the actual temperaments of older peoples be more difficult as with A. Einstein or maybe Clint Eastwood?

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
Err.. samples so far & approximate age in video:

Elijah /Volunteer ~20
Asa Butterfield ~15
Rain /Volunteer ~20
Ashley Olsen ~26
Alanis Morissette ~ 30
Juan Sandoval ~23
Renee Bayard ~26
Dakota Fanning ~18
Rebecca Black ~16
Robert Pattinson ~25
Jane Goodall ~75
Olivia Williams ~42
Leonardo DiCaprio ~16
Morgan Freeman ~73
Bruce Lee ~30

I wouldn't call it the most even but I also wouldn't say there's a "glaring" difference. :confused: There's young, middle and old.

I'm curious to know whether others see the patterns being described in these samples. The question of whether the pattern (if seen at all) measures consistently abroad all races and ages is another matter altogether which would take many more samples (dozens/hundreds) than what can be given in these introductions. ^^;

Certainly an important question though.

Could the actual temperaments of older peoples be more difficult as with A. Einstein or maybe Clint Eastwood?
Older people's types can be identified pretty much just as easily as younger folk. There will be videos in the future for people of all ages up to 80ish. :)

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
TeNi / (ENTJ)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIPdQ202d5c

This video features...

- TeNi Richard Feynman
- TeNi Robert Downey Jr.
- TeNi Mila Kunis
- TeNi Hugh Laurie

I was also gonna add:
- TeNi Sarah Polly (which was done a bit in the premier video)
But I ran out of time.. c.c So the male/female ratio's a bit off but
do feel free to look at Sarah if you'd like another example of a female TeNi.

Notes on Shades:

Feynman is a very Te/Fi wheel heavy TeNi. Innocent Fi.
Robert Downey has more use of his Se/Ni.
Mila has strong use of Te as well as Se. Sassy Fi.
Hugh has more Ni use than the others, and more viscosity.

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
-->
I thought Feynman was the epitome of ENTP?

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
Yeah... There seems to be a common belief online that Feynman, Downey and Laurie are all ENTPs. This isn't really true.

It may seem true only if you type them via the 4 individual letters. But if you're looking for Ne and Ti you won't see them in them.

There's actually a massive misconception about what ENTPs/NeTi's are. They're actually super similar to TiNe in that they will appear "introverted" due to the nature of Ne's proxy-reality. Ne is a proactive exploration process but it is not like Se in that it's pro-activity doesn't result in tactile and applicable results in reality. They can be very disjointed in reality and not flow gracefully in it - as the TiNe.

Here are a few examples of real NeTi:

A shy NeTi girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5grAqOSpWKI

A confident NeTi girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDMRTK3FuQI

People usually type real NeTi's as introverts, or if they're NeTi they type themselves as an introvert (and in a sense, rightfully so, because by the "conventional" definition they are --- but they use Ne as a lead process. They exhibit all the "introverted" behavior yet with dom Ne; MBTI just doesn't account for this).

And so if they're typing all real NeTi's as introverts, then what takes the place of the extroverts? What do they call "ENTPs"? A type that is quite clearly extroverted (Te lead) which is also logical (T lead) intuitive and sometimes messy/lazy. The laziness of Te is actually a nonchalant dismissiveness of irrelevance. They aren't the 'ocd' people they're made out to be.

Quite honestly, being OCD is entirely counterproductive to efficiency [Te]. Repeating meaningless tasks over and over which don't create a significant net gain in usefulness to a system -- is exactly what Te doesn't do. It cuts to the chase, finds what works and doesn't do what it doesn't think will work. So it can be minimalistic and prone to despise tedious tasks, just as lots of other types.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->
Quite honestly, being OCD is entirely counterproductive to efficiency [Te]. Repeating meaningless tasks over and over which don't create a significant net gain in usefulness to a system -- is exactly what Te doesn't do. It cuts to the chase, finds what works and doesn't do what it doesn't think will work. So it can be minimalistic and prone to despise tedious tasks, just as lots of other types.

Maybe that's why it's called a "disorder" though.

It could be you're referring to "acting OCD" and I missed the point.

Has a correlation between cognitive type and OCD been identified? I would be reluctant to specifically exclude Te-doms as susceptible to OCD.

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
-->
Ok, but how is Feynman not an ENTP?

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
-->
Maybe that's why it's called a "disorder" though.

It could be you're referring to "acting OCD" and I missed the point.

Has a correlation between cognitive type and OCD been identified? I would be reluctant to specifically exclude Te-doms as susceptible to OCD.

Personally, I think OCD transcends type and that a different manifestation of OCD will occur in each type. I think it has to do with an off-balance relationship with the inferior function. At least that's one idea I've been toying with.

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
How is Feynman not an NeTi..?

Feynman not a person with naive, scattered eyes that are the result of constantly exploring and intaking reality with a buoyant energy. He's very conclusive, decisive and deliberate (J-lead) and not at all scattered. His psyche follows a method and sequence to its deduction, and these deductions have a power/nativity in articulation. (Je-lead)

His articulation is stern/cold and exacting. The articulation of an NeTi would be warming, mixed with whimsical momentum (bubbling energy) and continual tangents or 'sideconversations' with themselves. All this combined with Ti processing; introspecting in a dispassionate/detached manner which causes them to disengage from the environment and lose all emotional energy. This pausing is seen in the two NeTi above. Feynman doesn't do Ti pauses.

Furthermore he does all the signals of Fi. He actually has quite an 'innocent' and giddy Fi. His love for his father causes him to shrivel in a way NeTi's never do. And this is noted in the video. It's similar to what SeFi Robert Pattinson did in the SeFi video.

@Montresor - I'm not entirely sure. When I analyze it, it seems to more a matter of needing 'control' or predictability. I won't pretend to be learned on that though. I don't think it's specific to any types. Hence why I was just trying to pre-debunk the stereotype that 'ENTJs' were micro-managing, ocd individuals and make a point that that's not what they are.

It does fascinate me though, and I'd like to look more into all this.

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
-->
Feynman doesn't do Ti pauses.

You are absolutely right! The pauses are signature Ti at work. I looked through several videos and he never misses a beat.

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
-->
This feels eerily contradictory.

How so?

What I was trying to say is that I do not believe that OCD is related to any one personality type. Each type can display OCD in a different way. For example, 2 of the 3 ENFPs I know seem to be germaphobes, to the point that their hands are dry and cracked from excessive cleaning. I know a couple of INxJs with eating disorders. I know a couple of ISFJs that have irrational fears of bad things happening to their children and have odd compulsions to stay those fears (such as circling about with the stroller every few meters when going on walks). Etc.

Top Bottom