• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Uber-xNTJ pwning Jeopady

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
Today 8:28 AM
-->
Have any of you guys seen this dude? I was laid up on the couch recovering from a root canal last night and caught some Jeopardy TOC. This guy was killing it and his strategy and awkward/hyperintelligent/probable sociopath demeanor (:hearts:) intrigued me so I googled him. He used to be a poker player but now works as a currency trader. Totally game theory-ing the game.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 1:58 AM
-->
Visitor wall or PM next time. :rolleyes:

Could you explain what this guy is doing that's got knickers knotted? I've never seen Jeopardy, and from what I've read this is not the first person to apply game theory. Is it actually game theory being applied or just theories about games?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 10:28 AM
-->
INTJ and he is not socially awkward either.

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
Could you explain what this guy is doing that's got knickers knotted? I've never seen Jeopardy, and from what I've read this is not the first person to apply game theory. Is it actually game theory being applied or just theories about games?

Arthur Chu used a similar strategy first.

So what makes Chu so unusual? While most players will start from the top of each column on the Jeopardy board and progress sequentially as question difficulty increases, Chu picks questions at random, using what's called the Forrest Bounce to hunt for the three Daily Doubles, which are often scattered among the harder questions in every game. Instead of moving from the $200 question to the $400 question and so forth, Chu might bounce between all of the $1,600 or $2,000 questions—not the kind of strategy you often see on Jeopardy.

Chu does this for two reasons. For one, it throws everyone off balance. "It's a lot more mentally tiring to have to jump around the board like that," Chu told me.

More importantly, snagging those Daily Doubles offers him a massive statistical advantage. Since Daily Doubles allow players to bet up to their entire bankrolls, just one can swing an entire Jeopardy match—and Chu's strategy is to control them all, even just to prevent other players from using them.

"The only chance you have to give yourself an edge—the only moment of power, or choice you have in Jeopardy is choosing the next clue if you got the last one right," Chu said. "So if you're unpredictable when you do that, and keep opponents on their toes, it's a lot more mentally tiring and might tick off people in the audience, but it lets you gain and keep an edge that's very important to winning the game."

I didn't watch Chu and this was the first time I'd seen someone play Jeopardy like that so this Alex guy caught my attention. He's also amusing to watch because he seems so calm and almost dizzy or spaced out but is actually very aware and focused.

I just watched this:

Not sure where folks are getting the sociopath vibe? (Says the INTJ...)

:D Yes, he actually seems fairly harmless and laidback despite the extreme NTJ-ness...Matt Jackson's the one with the real Patrick Bateman vibe but I think he's more autistic than sociopath.

Alex and Matt are facing off tonight and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 1:58 AM
-->
If you like this sort of stuff you might like watching poker. I've recently taken an interest and the principles Alex is using are generalised from poker. Thinking in terms of relative mental fatigue, comfort deprivation, statistical approach to risk/reward, relative position etc., these are things that are refined through grinding the game for hours. They appear in other games, but they rarely play such a distinct role. It's a mix of raw rationality and social intuition/control.

There's a lot of hollywooding on youtube that makes for good watching. I'm a big fan of all the more aggressive social plays, though I know they're probably less relevant to getting good at the game itself.

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
Edit: Goddammit INTPf formatting.

So yeah, he won again.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
Today 5:28 PM
-->
Thinking in terms of relative mental fatigue, comfort deprivation, statistical approach to risk/reward, relative position etc., these are things that are refined through grinding the game for hours.

Indeed. As a poker pro, one becomes obsessed with thinking about everything in terms of these concepts, very much like chess players become paranoid in real life because they have to be paranoid in the game.

Top Bottom