• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Velocitas eradico

gruesomebrat

Biking in pursuit of self...
Local time
Today 6:17 PM
-->
I had heard that the Navy was looking at this, but didn't know they were testing it. That's absolutely incredible, but I can't help but think there must be one hell of a recoil on the thing. I mean, if the projectile is accelerated to Mach 7 in a pickup truck-sized gun, I would imagine the kick would make it relatively useless at sea, wouldn't it? I can't seem to get the imago of a battleship firing their cannons and being shoved 500 meters sideways in the water... lol.

OrionzRevenge

Local time
-->
TBH, the kinetic energy involved is only about the same as a ~33 ton truck ramming the side of the ship at 100MPH. When the ship weighs about 60,000 tons, this isn't going to make much of a difference.

The image is still entertaining though :)
yeppers.

116000000 lbs. Iowa class (fully loaded)

5376 mph (mach 7)

20 lbs. projectile

f=m*a projectile = 107520
f=m*a ship's recoil = -107520

Ship's initial recoil speed = -.0009 mph

gruesomebrat

Biking in pursuit of self...
Local time
-->
Hmm, when put that way, the imagery falls apart pretty rapidly. That doesn't bother me though, as the imagery was the result of a sleep-deprived mind. I was actually going to see about calculating the recoil when I got home from school, but I see it was done for me while I was at school... Thank you, Orion

Top Bottom