• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Visualising the world through images

moody

Local time
Yesterday 10:51 PM
-->
Especially if you've been butting heads with him a bit or you feel he's going down a riskier path this time around.

Haha! No, not at all. I meant I remind him of his limitations with health, not in the grand scheme of the universe. If anything, he's not aware of how good he is at what he does in favor of focusing on self-improvement.

Priests of ancient civilization, psychics and the like would say that god would talk through them, a neurological reason this could be so was seen in a damaged corpus collosum: this was the link between both hemispheres of the brain. A way to get around this damaged colossum was to circumvent the signals to the anterior commisures causing an auditory hallucination. What they understood as god was actually their executive function sending a signal when normal means were obfuscated.

The examples I'd shown are unique to life-or-death situations, and PTSD flashbacks.

As for the priests, I don't reckon it was always this complicated. How convinced we are of something influences our senses. If someone is convinced that they are a prophet and can hear the voice of god, the sheer will of expecting to hear a voice will cause you to unconsciously imagine hearing it, thus when you're a but tired or in the thralls of a social extravaganza, you will probably have a moment where you think you hear the voice of god speaking to you.

Another option is that they were tripping. I'm willing to bet the use of psychedelics is responsible for a lot of religious and social developments. Look at the Hindu gods--they look like what people describe seeing if they take psychedelics. All those colors, arms, and mix-and-matching of heads. Plus, the "one is all" phenomenon. Same theories of enlightenment and feelings of inter-connectivity have been reported by individuals who tripped on shrooms.

When we "practice" something without physically doing it, we are stimulating the same parts of our brains that would be used when we actually do the task. This is how musicians and athletes can practice without physically moving. The more vivid you imagine going through the physical motions, the more your brain consolidates that practice.

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
Today 5:51 AM
-->
Especially if you've been butting heads with him a bit or you feel he's going down a riskier path this time around.

Haha! No, not at all. I meant I remind him of his limitations with health, not in the grand scheme of the universe. If anything, he's not aware of how good he is at what he does in favor of focusing on self-improvement.

Priests of ancient civilization, psychics and the like would say that god would talk through them, a neurological reason this could be so was seen in a damaged corpus collosum: this was the link between both hemispheres of the brain. A way to get around this damaged colossum was to circumvent the signals to the anterior commisures causing an auditory hallucination. What they understood as god was actually their executive function sending a signal when normal means were obfuscated.

The examples I'd shown are unique to life-or-death situations, and PTSD flashbacks.

As for the priests, I don't reckon it was always this complicated. How convinced we are of something influences our senses. If someone is convinced that they are a prophet and can hear the voice of god, the sheer will of expecting to hear a voice will cause you to unconsciously imagine hearing it, thus when you're a but tired or in the thralls of a social extravaganza, you will probably have a moment where you think you hear the voice of god speaking to you.

Another option is that they were tripping. I'm willing to bet the use of psychedelics is responsible for a lot of religious and social developments. Look at the Hindu gods--they look like what people describe seeing if they take psychedelics. All those colors, arms, and mix-and-matching of heads. Plus, the "one is all" phenomenon. Same theories of enlightenment and feelings of inter-connectivity have been reported by individuals who tripped on shrooms.

When we "practice" something without physically doing it, we are stimulating the same parts of our brains that would be used when we actually do the task. This is how musicians and athletes can practice without physically moving. The more vivid you imagine going through the physical motions, the more your brain consolidates that practice.

I think imagination is a product of thinking, if you want a thought to occur it will be produced: The auditory hallucination is seen as the executive function of the brain communicating to the language/Wernicke's area of the brain. The model of the bicameral mind incorporates this notion as desire and the subsequent decision made, if one wants something badly, they will decide they want it, the executive function will make that happen for something as simple as the executive mind sending a command to wernicke's area ultimately producing the auditory hallucination of a god.

Psychedelics surely have an effect on how we percieve reality, different parts of the brain are elevated and some are nullified. These experiences can only be surreal to a previously sobered mind.

EndogenousRebel

mean person
Local time
Today 12:51 AM
-->
I work on not getting trapped within myself, since that inevitably causes more anxiety and strife. Daydreaming is often a constant, though--takes reminders for me to tell myself to be present than to think. INTPs are often like that, though.

I actually have a neurological autoimmune disorder. I used to think it was laziness, before I got diagnosed.
MBTI is basically just similar "self" perceptions, right. It's not crazy to say that that shows how we face similar demons.
I actually have a neurological autoimmune disorder. I used to think it was laziness, before I got diagnosed.
I read this the other day and didn't realize why it didn't sit well with me, and upon looking at your latest profile pic and reflecting on what they have been before I now feel like I have more understanding of you, an understanding I can relate to.

Dealing with ADHD growing up, I always felt like I was trapped into being a certain way, a way that was not ideal considering the world we live in. I longed to change myself even wrote poetry that proclaimed that one day I would not hold myself back and that I would flourish. (it was the throwaway kind)

Then into my first year of uni, idk, perhaps out of the stress of not being able to complete my assignments added with way too many other stressors, I snapped. It was not a violent snap, it was just me unraveling into a state of psychosis. I walked around campus in this altered state and descended deeper and deeper into insanity (during finals, no less.) It ended 2-3 weeks later with me getting a double diagnosis (2 different institutions) one for schizoaffective (Psychiatrist who actually talked to me for more than 5 minutes) and another for flat out schizophrenia(just worried about hallucinations.) It was a waking dream basically, pretty fucking trippy, I'm sure I could've ignored it, or maybe even enjoyed it,( I did at some points) but I suspect my amygdala was having a field day and just cycling through intense horror and imagined clarity.

Point is, I am someone who struggles with this sort of mentality, as the all-powerful algorithmic belief system that is science is at odds against me ever being normal and worse, being unexceptional(1/3 homeless people have a disease like this.) I am just making a plea that we do not limit ourselves because of apparent handicaps. Yes, all things physiological affect psychological states, but to me, when you consider things like placebo/hypnosis(which are getting stronger), it makes me see a gradient between the physical and the mind where one may have a disproportionate amount of influence, but the other can still exert it's will to change. We just have to be creative.

moody

Local time
Yesterday 10:51 PM
-->
MBTI is basically just similar "self" perceptions, right. It's not crazy to say that that shows how we face similar demons.

Is that how it's commonly defined? How we see ourselves? I've always regarded it more of how we internalize stimuli and approach problem solving, not necessarily how we define ourselves. Unless I'm just reading too much into your semantics, and you meant something along the same lines.

On demons: I agree; though I've seen more live examples of the textures in maturity levels rather than how we'd approach problems in themselves.

I read this the other day and didn't realize why it didn't sit well with me, and upon looking at your latest profile pic and reflecting on what they have been before I now feel like I have more understanding of you, an understanding I can relate to.

Dealing with ADHD growing up, I always felt like I was trapped into being a certain way, a way that was not ideal considering the world we live in. I longed to change myself even wrote poetry that proclaimed that one day I would not hold myself back and that I would flourish. (it was the throwaway kind)

Then into my first year of uni, idk, perhaps out of the stress of not being able to complete my assignments added with way too many other stressors, I snapped. It was not a violent snap, it was just me unraveling into a state of psychosis. I walked around campus in this altered state and descended deeper and deeper into insanity (during finals, no less.) It ended 2-3 weeks later with me getting a double diagnosis (2 different institutions) one for schizoaffective (Psychiatrist who actually talked to me for more than 5 minutes) and another for flat out schizophrenia(just worried about hallucinations.) It was a waking dream basically, pretty fucking trippy, I'm sure I could've ignored it, or maybe even enjoyed it,( I did at some points) but I suspect my amygdala was having a field day and just cycling through intense horror and imagined clarity.

I don't know what to say, other than I really appreciate your connection. It's not often you can relate so strongly to someone off of so few words, and when it happens it's invaluable. Thank you for sharing!

I've had very similar experiences. I didn't have ADHD, but I always picked up on a difference between me and others. I had a hard time being responsive to people, despite my mental processing being normal (I now know that this was a sort of severe anxiety). I didn't have a problem understanding and relating to other people, but there was this great chasm between actually being able to communicate the way I knew I should. My family was very active and their professions were all in a performance arena, so it was always clear to me that this was a problem I had.

I started having really bad symptoms in the middle of high school. I also had moved a lot in high school, so no one would've been able to notice if something about me had changed. Yet, I knew I wouldn't be able to go to a 4-year-university unless I got good scholarships, so I grew obsessive about my grades and extracurricular things. Looking back, I see how abnormal I was with the extent I had to micromanage myself. My parent I lived with thought I was emotionally disturbed, and made me see a therapist who thought I had ADHD, and pondered if I had bi-polar disorder. I agreed with the trends she saw....but there was something off about each of those diagnosis, so I never put too much faith into them nor did I get on board for any sort of medication/treatment plan.

Starting college, like you, I was under the impression everything would be fine if I'd just revise all of my habits, and be stricter on myself. Much like you expressed, this...did not...work. It got far worse. Because I was around people far more than I ever was in high school, for the first time, it became clearer to me the things I dealt were more than what others did.

After a bad incident, I finally saw a nurse who had the wherewithal to refer me to a neurologist, and between then I figured out symptoms I had that I'd never considered "symptoms" before, so I knew the right things to say going into the appointment. Later, I finally got the right diagnosis.

It was so relieving. The entire time, I just thought I wasn't as efficient or strong or as good as everyone else. I'd never allowed myself to think that something else could be wrong, because I never wanted to give myself an excuse to do less than I knew I could.

I can also relate the amygdala torturing you...I do not hallucinate when I am fully awake, which is why I never entertained schizophrenia. However, I've had hard-core sleep paralysis and hallogenic hallucinations that have been so intense I was in a daze for hours afterwards. I was afraid to voice the extend of these until after I was diagnosed, because I was afraid someone would try to tell me (again) that I was disturbed, or entertain a type of schizoid disorder. My willpower and rationality was the only think I could rely on, so I wouldn't have been able to handle someone trying to tell me I was wrong about the one thing I trusted. Unfortunately, because this was an anxiety of mine, my nightmares/sleep hallucinations would become all the worse.

Point is, I am someone who struggles with this sort of mentality, as the all-powerful algorithmic belief system that is science is at odds against me ever being normal and worse, being unexceptional(1/3 homeless people have a disease like this.) I am just making a plea that we do not limit ourselves because of apparent handicaps. Yes, all things physiological affect psychological states, but to me, when you consider things like placebo/hypnosis(which are getting stronger), it makes me see a gradient between the physical and the mind where one may have a disproportionate amount of influence, but the other can still exert it's will to change. We just have to be creative.

I am with you. That is why I never reflected on any ailments/set-backs I had, which unfortunately made me not notice all of my symptoms. Even so, I kept my GPA and got into all the schools I applied for...even if I did have the capacity to feel proud about then, I can look back and thank my past-self for my obsessive willpower.

I have to be flexible and responsive day-to-day with how go about my day and get things done, which becomes really strenuous because I can never just stick to a plan, but it's how I survive. I'd go crazy if I just did nothing to "figure my health out" like the stupid people say. That never works, unless you physically need bed rest or rehabilitation.

EndogenousRebel

mean person
Local time
Today 12:51 AM
-->
Is that how it's commonly defined? How we see ourselves? I've always regarded it more of how we internalize stimuli and approach problem solving, not necessarily how we define ourselves. Unless I'm just reading too much into your semantics, and you meant something along the same lines.

On demons: I agree; though I've seen more live examples of the textures in maturity levels rather than how we'd approach problems in themselves.
I don't know what you mean by textures in maturity levels, do you mean like a specific type and intensity of maturity?

Perhaps some questions have more certainty behind them, but I'm only INTP if I myself believe I am INTP. "You often think about what you should have said in a conversation long after it has taken place." One could look back in their memory and come to the conclusion that they do this, but relative to someone else, they could be not nearly as thoughtful, thus I would say self-perception is the biggest factor here unless you're responding based on other peoples educated assessment. We can infer a whole bunch of things from the information given/resulting from the test, but it stems from self-perception- but rereading what you wrote, emboldening the problem-solving method, do you mean this in how we come to the answer of these questions? lol makes sense but if you ask me there is only one right way to do so, everyone else is doing it wrong.

I don't know what to say, other than I really appreciate your connection. It's not often you can relate so strongly to someone off of so few words, and when it happens it's invaluable. Thank you for sharing!

I've had very similar experiences. I didn't have ADHD, but I always picked up on a difference between me and others. I had a hard time being responsive to people, despite my mental processing being normal (I now know that this was a sort of severe anxiety). I didn't have a problem understanding and relating to other people, but there was this great chasm between actually being able to communicate the way I knew I should. My family was very active and their professions were all in a performance arena, so it was always clear to me that this was a problem I had.

I started having really bad symptoms in the middle of high school. I also had moved a lot in high school, so no one would've been able to notice if something about me had changed. Yet, I knew I wouldn't be able to go to a 4-year-university unless I got good scholarships, so I grew obsessive about my grades and extracurricular things. Looking back, I see how abnormal I was with the extent I had to micromanage myself. My parent I lived with thought I was emotionally disturbed, and made me see a therapist who thought I had ADHD, and pondered if I had bi-polar disorder. I agreed with the trends she saw....but there was something off about each of those diagnosis, so I never put too much faith into them nor did I get on board for any sort of medication/treatment plan.

Starting college, like you, I was under the impression everything would be fine if I'd just revise all of my habits, and be stricter on myself. Much like you expressed, this...did not...work. It got far worse. Because I was around people far more than I ever was in high school, for the first time, it became clearer to me the things I dealt were more than what others did.

After a bad incident, I finally saw a nurse who had the wherewithal to refer me to a neurologist, and between then I figured out symptoms I had that I'd never considered "symptoms" before, so I knew the right things to say going into the appointment. Later, I finally got the right diagnosis.

It was so relieving. The entire time, I just thought I wasn't as efficient or strong or as good as everyone else. I'd never allowed myself to think that something else could be wrong, because I never wanted to give myself an excuse to do less than I knew I could.

I can also relate the amygdala torturing you...I do not hallucinate when I am fully awake, which is why I never entertained schizophrenia. However, I've had hard-core sleep paralysis and hallogenic hallucinations that have been so intense I was in a daze for hours afterwards. I was afraid to voice the extend of these until after I was diagnosed, because I was afraid someone would try to tell me (again) that I was disturbed, or entertain a type of schizoid disorder. My willpower and rationality was the only think I could rely on, so I wouldn't have been able to handle someone trying to tell me I was wrong about the one thing I trusted. Unfortunately, because this was an anxiety of mine, my nightmares/sleep hallucinations would become all the worse.
Of course, I'm happy to do this with you. Thank you for sharing, the reminder that I am not alone in my struggle just feeds my resolve.

Unfortunately, I was not a stickler or someone who all that paid attention to the differences between me and others, this was until junior year in high school when I got my heartbroken. Maybe not comparing myself to others was a good thing, but I outright ignored others and just played in my head. I was in advanced classes and my schools never really challenged me so I could skate by. Every year since 7th grade I would make the claim that I would actually try and get honor roll, but I would always say fuck it and be happy with Cs and Bs.

I was pretty active in extracurriculars took college classes with mild success, and technically being a minority, I was able to get into a respectable university with need-based scholarships. This is where I began to see clearly, that to pretty much everybody's, life is a competition. Wasn't a big deal, I could change myself I thought. Most of my first-year friends being international students, they were from the top percentage of their class, so I felt the need to prove myself in some way and bit off more than I could chew, especially considering how "lazy" I was before. I was sprinting when I should've been pacing myself like a marathon. Money was tight, so I got off my non-stimulant ADHD meds and just lost my cool.

Those three weeks where I was basically high as a kite felt at least like 7 months to me. I had conversations I remember going differently, or didn't remember at all. I went through a groundhog day nightmare where I would always die. I had problems with causation, logic, paranoia, and focus. There were moments of intense euphoria, but those moments were not worth it. There was an aspect to it where I felt my subconscious was rationally communicating with me, but that was scattered and lost everywhere through the chaos.

I am with you. That is why I never reflected on any ailments/set-backs I had, which unfortunately made me not notice all of my symptoms. Even so, I kept my GPA and got into all the schools I applied for...even if I did have the capacity to feel proud about then, I can look back and thank my past-self for my obsessive willpower.

I have to be flexible and responsive day-to-day with how go about my day and get things done, which becomes really strenuous because I can never just stick to a plan, but it's how I survive. I'd go crazy if I just did nothing to "figure my health out" like the stupid people say. That never works, unless you physically need bed rest or rehabilitation.
I've learned that communication with my fellow man and myself are key. I would write more but gotta run. It feels like life has been me throwing darts at a board, but now I'm actually learning how to throw, and am closing in on getting to the bullseye.

Top Bottom