• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Weird dream: Organic Computing

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:12 PM
-->
So i dreamed yesterday that a friend of mine showed me his latest computer which is a bald human whose torso is fused into a cylindrical machine. I asked what kind of 40k heresy is this. He said that the human part is actually grown from non-sentient human tissues so its kosher or something.

Anyways, now that i've woken up, it seems that using organic tissue might be useful to buff our computing capabilities. On the other hand, i think having an inorganic computer installed to your brain can help with mundane computation and memory storage.

Then there's the ethics part. How non-human should human tissue be before it is ok to use for computer parts? Are aborted fetus or prisoners ok?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:12 AM
-->
It seems to me that anything with a brain would be non-kosher.

Fun fact: this was the idea for the original manuscript of The Matrix movies. Instead of using people as batteries, the machines would use them as CPUs. This was changed to make the premise easier to understand for the general public.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
It seems to me that anything with a brain would be non-kosher.

Fun fact: this was the idea for the original manuscript of The Matrix movies. Instead of using people as batteries, the machines would use them as CPUs. This was changed to make the premise easier to understand for the general public.

What could've been... That would be a good movie premise for today's generation though.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 1:12 AM
-->
What could've been... That would be a good movie premise for today's generation though.

Agree. Would have made for a darker (and better) premise IMO.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->

Glorious! I guess it's possible to make a feedback system via animal brain matter then organic computing might be a thing in the future.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:12 PM
-->
Anytime we can model and simulate the signals and chemical interactions of hormones, amino acids, neurotransmitters and protein receptors, the ballgame will change significantly.

Edit: you'd need a f..cking big computer for that though.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Anytime we can model and simulate the signals and chemical interactions of hormones, amino acids, neurotransmitters and protein receptors, the ballgame will change significantly.

Edit: you'd need a f..cking big computer for that though.

I'm optimistic that we can miniaturize them in the future. After all, current computers were once room-sized monstrosities.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:12 PM
-->
I'm optimistic that we can miniaturize them in the future. After all, current computers were once room-sized monstrosities.

There's a Law concerning Moore's law: "The number of people predicting the death of Moore’s law doubles every two years"...

Anyway, this article is worth reading in that context.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
There's a Law concerning Moore's law: "The number of people predicting the death of Moore’s law doubles every two years"...

Anyway, this article is worth reading in that context.

Thanks Polaris. That was quite a good read.

Top Bottom