• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are INFJs bad at?

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:47 PM
-->
I don't know if it's just me, but things are getting a little ridiculous. INFJs seem to be good at fucking EVERYTHING, I've noticed it myself - ever since Adymus started singing their praises I realised how much sense it made for Ni and Fe to be a pretty much world-class dominating combo.

So please, anyone with any knowledge, or even just a few dumb guesses, name some things you think INFJs - as a result of their functions combo; please don't bother with individual personality quirks - might be bad at. I'm trying to think of some but they're pretty much ruling the world afaik right now.

"Sharing their feelings", "trusting people" etc blah blah - doesn't count, none of that poxy stuff please, next! I'm interested in what activities they might fail at.

For instance, on the "success list" we have things like: poker, acting, manipulation, long cons, reading people's minds, etc.

What's on the "fail list"?

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 4:47 PM
-->
Bad at being honest. The few that I know in real life fake empathy and sympathy to a chronic extent.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Nono, things they're *bad* at. Not problems in their relationships or feeling like widdle kiddies in a big bad scawy wowld or whatever. For example, a lot of INTPs are bad at putting things into words.

For example, INFJs are good at reading the future.

What are they bad at? Knitting? Team sports? Baking scones? What?

TheHmmmm

Welcome to Costco, I love you
Local time
Yesterday 11:47 PM
-->
Nono, things they're *bad* at. Not problems in their relationships or feeling like widdle kiddies in a big bad scawy wowld or whatever. For example, a lot of INTPs are bad at putting things into words.

For example, INFJs are good at reading the future.

What are they bad at? Knitting? Team sports? Baking scones? What?

Yeah, once you're using MBTI as a diagnostic for clairvoyance, you've taken the theory out of hand. In all seriousness, MBTI isn't an indicator of how smart or athletic or whatever else a group is. You'll find winners and losers amongst all types. Only thing you'll find within a type is consistent methodological preference.

In my experience, they're not any more particularly amazing than anyone else. For some reason, it's the INTP's that extol their virtues more than anyone.

CLOfriendOSE

Local time
Today 2:47 AM
-->
Yeah, once you're using MBTI as a diagnostic for clairvoyance, you've taken the theory out of hand. In all seriousness, MBTI isn't an indicator of how smart or athletic or whatever else a group is. You'll find winners and losers amongst all types. Only thing you'll find within a type is consistent methodological preference.

In my experience, they're not any more particularly amazing than anyone else. For some reason, it's the INTP's that extol their virtues more than anyone.

Reading the future doesn't need to be supernatural.

1, 3 ,5 .....

Holy Shit, I'm psychic.

(I feel like anybody with Ne should be good at patterns though, right? I'll have to find an INFJ somewhere and analyze them....)

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:47 AM
-->
There's a difference between recognising and extending a pattern and claiming certainty that the pattern will continue, though. 1, 3, 5, what comes next? The answer is in the spoiler below.
The National Register of Historic Places listings in Warren County, Virginia

Saoshyant

Put me in Coach
Local time
-->
Working efficiently, managing several people, and technology.

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 9:47 AM
-->
Being realists.

INTPs must be bad about being stereotypical.

INFJs are bad at being sincere. They often fake
it because it's what social protocol calls for.

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 4:47 PM
-->
INTPs must be bad about being stereotypical.

INFJs are bad at being sincere. They often fake
it because it's what social protocol calls for.

Ahh, don't listen to me. I am just a jaded old man.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Well, I was doing an administration/ data entry job the last 3 weeks and I was surprisingly poor at it. That kind of work is all about the details where as I would frequently glaze over certain facts without realising, which my supervisor would find out about and make me go back to nearly every day lol.

I could name a few other things though. I think, in general, I have always been poor at sensory tasks. I'm not very strong so lifting was never my thing, but more than that whenever I have had to help lifting I have found that I'm really clumsy with the object to the point that I'm not helpful. Driving was another thing. I hate driving. When driving you have to be aware of so many different things going on around you, which I have felt always pushes me into my inferior Se and always made me uncomfortable.

Inititally this was the same with cooking, as soon as there were a few different things I had to look after at once I would just get really frustrated. I'm better now, because of practice, but I hope you get what I mean.

I know this is likely not what you are looking for Cheese, but I feel while INFJs are meant to be so "intuitively" in touch with everything around them they are and they are not at the same time. When I'm in a social situation I am thinking about all of the things I need to do to present myself to the point that while I am aware of the social context I am also completely removed from it.
I second guess myself a lot in social contexts to the point that if I send someone an email or chat with them afterwards I am bombarded with doubts. Things I said or what they said will spring to me and I will feel suddenly embarassed and think: "shit, they could have taken that x, y or z way". It's likely different for each person but it sometimes troubles me to the extent that I would just rather avoid social contact.

A feeling of being on your own island, due to making everything else into an abstraction, is definitely a weakness - not belonging, as others said, but also a source of ego more than likely - but also a source of inspiration. Genuine privacy is actually a very rare thing and I feel it is where INFJs get both their 'weird' and 'inspirational' traits.

GYX_Kid

randomly floating abyss built of bricks
Local time
-->
Disconnecting emotionally enough to make a speech at a funeral without being teary (if they don't want to reveal their emotion like that, they might not do it)

I know an INFJ who through his own feeling and judgement, is aware and sensitive to others' judgement and is very hesitant to open up in certain ways. He reveals his sensitive side even less than I do. When I bring out emotion it's more like oh, basic grasp of emotionality; when he does it it's more like a complex alter-ego.

I admire their adherence to their values.

CLOfriendOSE

Local time
-->
The point about the pattern is that much of life is predictable.
I can see why somebody could appear clairvoyant, especially if their feelings informed their intuition and not their thoughts. They may just feel why things are happening without having to think about it.

I beleive, anyway, I believe INFJs probably are bad at coping with the amount of terror in the world and probably live it in their heads.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Well, I was going to say something concerning logic then I remembered 2 female INFJ's that I know. First of all, I could kind of detect cognitive ways of thinking. Obviously, they had an edge over my Pi wherein, specifically, they were able to visualize and recall things more easily. But it's weird that we're on par with Ti. Only thing I had left was Ne. I guess you could identify them as sociable people who likes to learn things. Then, of course, there were the more mystical and less convincing ones... Honestly, I've met plenty. Also met many INTJ's. Least is ENTP, probably because it's such a rigid school setting I'm in. Anyways, I'm just sharing my experiences.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
Today 7:47 AM
-->
Stereotypes are fun and handy.

I think INTPs can come off as very judgemental and mean, because they use a lot of generalizations. The thing is, an INTP tends to take these generalizations with a grain of salt, just as a quick aid in conversation, when proving things. Most other types seem to respond way more 'heavily' to stereotypes and generalizations, often causing conflict. (I hope I make sense here)

CLOfriendOSE

Local time
-->

I think INTPs can come off as very judgemental and mean, because they use a lot of generalizations. The thing is, an INTP tends to take these generalizations with a grain of salt, just as a quick aid in conversation, when proving things. Most other types seem to respond way more 'heavily' to stereotypes and generalizations, often causing conflict. (I hope I make sense here)

Yes. I make generalizations because otherwise any type of categorization would have no bounds. Clearly this would cause a problem, thus I put bounds on data sets. I think other types may generalize not for the sake of it, but because the generalization is their truth (If I may speak generally).

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
Yeah, that's what I think is somewhat going on as well.
Argh, it's really hard to explain in words, but I guess you all understand what I'm trying to say.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
I know an INFJ who through his own feeling and judgement, is aware and sensitive to others' judgement and is very hesitant to open up in certain ways. He reveals his sensitive side even less than I do. When I bring out emotion it's more like oh, basic grasp of emotionality; when he does it it's more like a complex alter-ego.

This.
It goes beyond feeling like you don't belong--that's the shallow part of it. It's a keen fear of letting people into the dark, of putting certain parts of themselves (ourselves?) out there, because they (we?) know exactly how delicate some emotions and such are to try to handle.

And like Puffy said, doubts are crippling. Imagine stepping into a room and reading everyone's body language and tone, then immediately trying to figure out how they're reading you, or even if they're reading you. How would you read yourself, if you were them? What if they come from a radically different background, and they're reading you a completely different way? What should you be doing? What should you say? Is it even worth it?

Every event sort of splinters off into a million "what if"s, even if the probability of each "what if" being true is tiny. I'd say that self doubt is probably the most incapacitating trait of an INFJ.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 1:47 PM
-->
I have noticed many INFJs believe they have a lack of emotional stability and despise this weakness.
Then you can take it into the multitude of views from other MBTI types. "too quiet', 'too rigid', 'too cold', 'too confusing' , and yada yada.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:47 PM
-->
I have trouble understanding INFJ's. I think if I tried to, it wouldn't be pretty. Like they start some random topic out of nowhere, during an intense conversation, but the motives of them are always unknown. There's just a lot of WTF moments. So its like totally weird, dude.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Not being INFJs.

No, seriously. They are terrible at escaping their own thoughts.

GYX_Kid

Local time
-->

try talking to a judging type...like an SJ. They'll actually believe in their generalizations

[/INTP-type generalization, still up for debate +analytical basis from pure, unadulterated Ti]

This.
It goes beyond feeling like you don't belong--that's the shallow part of it. It's a keen fear of letting people into the dark, of putting certain parts of themselves (ourselves?) out there, because they (we?) know exactly how delicate some emotions and such are to try to handle.

And like Puffy said, doubts are crippling. Imagine stepping into a room and reading everyone's body language and tone, then immediately trying to figure out how they're reading you, or even if they're reading you. How would you read yourself, if you were them? What if they come from a radically different background, and they're reading you a completely different way? What should you be doing? What should you say? Is it even worth it?

Every event sort of splinters off into a million "what if"s, even if the probability of each "what if" being true is tiny. I'd say that self doubt is probably the most incapacitating trait of an INFJ.

Thanks for this post. My brother is the INFJ i had mentioned...I'll try experimenting with random body language/tone, and see if it makes any difference

grandpa2390

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Wait... I am bad at putting things into words?

I just realized, I know an ENFJ and he is perfect at just about everything. He is tall, works out, straight A student going to college. very well-rounded.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 4:17 PM
-->
Tactfulness. I dunno if it's a general "weakness" or if it's exclusive to the two INFJ's that I talk to, but they are both quite blunt at times. Honestly, to me it's endearing (someone who says what they mean and asks questions which they want the know the answer to!), but I can imagine it not going down well with others.
I speak only from experience and not from and deep understanding of MBTI.

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 9:47 AM
-->
INFJs are bad at forming long lasting relationships.
Once they've realized that nothing more can be
learned about/from a person, they tend to "abandon"
them and move onto unfamiliar territory in the hopes
of finding that which they are looking for.

GYX_Kid

Local time
-->
For instance, on the "success list" we have things like: poker, acting, manipulation, long cons, reading people's minds, etc.

My brother tried to fail at poker since he was sick of playing, and couldn't. Just kept winning everything.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Bird, that's what I've noticed with some people - I class them as INFJs, but I could be wrong there - they tend to see people as experiences for them, rather than actual individuals in themselves. It's kind of disgusting, because while on the surface they're reaching out to you, they're actually horribly self-absorbed. (No reflection on you because I don't know what you are.)

Although what you posted sounds more like a Ne dom. Same with Chimera - millions of possibilities splintering off? That sounds like Ne.

linhdt

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:47 PM
-->
I don't know if it's just me, but things are getting a little ridiculous. INFJs seem to be good at fucking EVERYTHING, I've noticed it myself - ever since Adymus started singing their praises I realised how much sense it made for Ni and Fe to be a pretty much world-class dominating combo.

So please, anyone with any knowledge, or even just a few dumb guesses, name some things you think INFJs - as a result of their functions combo; please don't bother with individual personality quirks - might be bad at. I'm trying to think of some but they're pretty much ruling the world afaik right now.

"Sharing their feelings", "trusting people" etc blah blah - doesn't count, none of that poxy stuff please, next! I'm interested in what activities they might fail at.

Well, I am an INFJ, and here are my 'fail list':

1. Sports, all kinds. PE, to me, is such a pain in the ass
2. I am very bad at remembering, especially details/specific things.
3. Bad concentration. I rarely concentrate since I always sink in my own thoughts
4. A bit bad at place things in order
5. Being to rigid/cold sometimes
6. Too stubborn & selfish -> annoying sometimes. But when I say I am right that means I will always be right :)).
7. Bad at showing off. Rarely share my thoughts in front of the crowd, just because of a 'do not care' attitude I have. I even never mind others' judgment on me. 'Who are you to judge me on what I say or do?' :))

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
N dominants are generally pretty versatile, in that they can understand just about anything on an abstract level. The problems then are in anything non-abstract. As mentioned, anything requiring attention to detail or physical manoeuvering, or generally any task which they can't first grasp in their intuition and work directly from that.

linhdt

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:47 PM
-->

Oh, this is so true. I often feel weird with long-term relationship and try to avoid it as much as I can, even with my female friends.
Because of boredom, and the most significant reason: I hate being committed.
In the other hand, after a long time, I usually feel no interest in that person/'can not use' them anymore/find out that they're stupid, so I isolate myself from them ;).
But, one thing I need to mention, it takes much much time to completely end the relationship. :king-twitter:

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 1:47 PM
-->

that pretty much topped the INFJ population to around 98% ! :D

I think forming a long lasting relationship is difficult anyways. Mostly lonely people tend to have lasting relationships. They don't see too many people and see no point in moving on.

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
7. Bad at showing off. Rarely share my thoughts in front of the crowd, just because of a 'do not care' attitude I have. I even never mind others' judgment on me. 'Who are you to judge me on what I say or do?' :))

You're quite judgemental yourself, but at the same time you think 'Who are you to judge me on what I say or do?' about other judgemental people... Do you realize this? I would be extremely bugged by such a paradox...

SkyWalker

observing y'all from my UFO. inevitably coming dow
Local time
-->
INFJ = NiFe

SeTi (ESTP) or TiSe (ISTP) are the opposite of that. INFJs suck at all the things their opposite does best.

Look at the qualities of ESTP and ISTP and this is exactly what INFJs lack.

P.S. These opposite qualities were already mentioned in this thread.

TriflinThomas

Bitch, don't kill my vibe...
Local time
-->

This is something I've been working on. The problem isn't knowing them, it's that after I know them, it's easy to map out their reactions to things, where we're going to have problems, etc. I've learned to take it slow when I meet people, and not try to" get to know them" all at once.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
I'm an INTP, but I face the same problem. I can pick someone apart with Ne and stare into the depths of their 'soul,' especially if they behave authentically (in the existential sense). Often I see a single conflict that powers their entire existence, like a mainspring that cannot be unwound. Then, they become just another abstraction to be filed away in the depths of my memory, another character in the story of my life. And who wants to embrace an essence, nuzzle a notion, or snuggle a symbol?

I miss the days of magic and wonder, when the fire in another's eyes was a lightshow before my own; not analyzed, but experienced, felt, lived. Yet some eternal coil within me declared that the quest for knowledge proceed without bound, without regard for fatigue, misery, or boredom: on to an unreachable infintity at the speed of thought!

And yet, in the words of Lord Horatio Nelson, I have not yet begun to fight. If I die, then it shall be with book in hand, last word on my lips and hand, soaking in a pool of my own ink. And if there be a soul in these bones, let it rest forever on that final page, evermore at peace in that little slip of the pen-- that final act upon the world.

-Duxwing

Moocow

Semantic Nitpicker
Local time
-->
In my experience:
They're pretty bad at putting a situation in context and appropriate proportion, and acting naturally. They're also bad at recounting proper details, and bad about lying about it.

They also do not know how to blend their multiple facets together into a coherent person. Instead they come off as playing by the rules of whoever happens to be there at the time. So when they have some intentions, instead of having a simple, clear kind of communication and role which may be appropriate and most effective, they seem to prefer false submission, so as to subvert, which can lead to a lot of unnecessary suspicion and chaos once the act is discovered.
Or maybe it is necessary? That's the problem, you can never tell.

Grave

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Personally, I'm always dealing with opposite needs, and they are really not the needs of other but my own: I want people to like me and have a good image of me, but I also want my solitude. It then happens that when someone speaks to me when I'm using my Ni--which really irritates me since I consider that my solitude--I am stuck between having a conversation with that person which would in turn give me the image I want, or sticking to my solitude and ignoring most of what they.

Radiant Shadow

Shining eyes
Local time
-->
Ourselves. We are bad at ourselves. In my experience, unity is a constant problem whose absence creates a lot of internal and external dissonance.

As others have mentioned, integrity is our highest joy and, when in doubt, deepest lament. Pouring intention into action to produce a benevolent influence; this is our source of direction. When realized, life takes on a transcendent hue that, IME, quietly radiates outward. When it is shaken or destroyed, utter chaos ensues.

We are split between a need to belong and a need for agency (hallmarks of Fe and Ni, respectively). The latter often provides insights and sensitivity to plights that help us connect with and help others - something we are renowned for.

Unfortunately, this is a double-edged blade that many cut themselves on. Some lean too far to the empathetic side and become paralyzed by social dynamics. @Chimera nailed this by saying potentialities fracture off and cascade through our minds when dealing with others. It can be maddening to endlessly wonder about how you treated someone else, how you came off to them, and the effect of your actions.

On the other side rests individuality. The pursuit of an inner world and agenda attached to reality by the thread of possibility. It is diametrically opposed to tradition and cuts through social protocol. In balanced INFJs, it is the end to our means, the empowering force behind our actions. In unbalanced INFJs, it can become both, producing redundancy and dissociation from a lack of external stimulus.

In the midst of all this competing information, it's easy to feel rent and simply give up on either task of connecting with others or adhering to a personal vision and creed. Conflicting forces rise and fall, manifesting in different behaviors. Among young INFJs in particular I've seen:

Existential crises begetting a "nothing is true and everything is permitted" mindset that, in turn, creates superiority or inferiority complexes (dishonesty is rampant here). Martyrdom in the face of a perceived great injustice and an inflated ego. Avoidance and dissociation as a result of high negative feedback (I've seen this one a lot, and went through it myself).

The interplay between forces is more complex than this, but that is the basic run-down as I've seen and experienced it. We are humans, like everyone else, and flawed, just like everyone else.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
http://www.socionics.com/rel/bn.htm

ISTJs see INTPs as we see INFJs, i.e. they handle things we see as hard from our perspective very easily, but from other types perspectives not quite so.

1) It's going by the functional interplay, not letters. The functions are different in Socionics for introverted types, so you are looking at it backwards.

2) It's a concept of Socionics, not MBTI; taking it out of its Socionics context takes away the consistency and validity since MBTI and Socionics are not very compatible (they are similar, but are far from being the same thing).

Ink

Local time
-->
1) It's going by the functional interplay, not letters. The functions are different in Socionics for introverted types, so you are looking at it backwards.

I know that which is why I translated socionics type into MBTI. This is what I've observed several times in real life as well which is why i posted it, I wouldn't otherwise.

2) It's a concept of Socionics, not MBTI; taking it out of its Socionics context takes away the consistency and validity since MBTI and Socionics are not very compatible (they are similar, but are far from being the same thing).

I ingrain all these "personality theories" into my worldview, I just communicate them to you in concepts we are both familiar with. I have countless examples of ISTJs overvaluing INTPs innate abilities and INFJs undervaluing INTPs abilities, and vice versa.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I know that which is why I translated socionics type into MBTI. This is what I've observed several times in real life as well which is why i posted it, I wouldn't otherwise.
It would have still been misleading, because you didn't make it clear which functions the types had.

ISTj > INTp is right, but only because in Socionics that means TiSe > NiTe.

A person of MBTI would see what you said as SiTe(ISTJ) > TiNe(INTP), which is incorrect.

I ingrain all these "personality theories" into my worldview, I just communicate them to you in concepts we are both familiar with. I have countless examples of ISTJs overvaluing INTPs innate abilities and INFJs undervaluing INTPs abilities, and vice versa.
I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with having a diverse understanding, but those who aren't aware of where MBTI and Socionics disagree(and it's in a lot of places) would unknowingly accept the concepts as compatible with MBTI.

It would help to at least note the differences.

Ink

Local time
-->
It would have still been misleading, because you didn't make it clear which functions the types had.

ISTj > INTp is right, but only because in Socionics that means TiSe > NiTe.

A person of MBTI would see what you said as SiTe(ISTJ) > TiNe(INTP), which is incorrect.

I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with having a diverse understanding, but those who aren't aware of where MBTI and Socionics disagree(and it's in a lot of places) would unknowingly accept the concepts as compatible with MBTI.

It would help to at least note the differences.

The "ring of benefit" I'm referring to: ... > INTj > ISTp > ISFj > INFp > INTj > ...

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
The "ring of benefit" I'm referring to: ... > INTj > ISTp > ISFj > INFp > INTj > ...
Yes:

INTj > ISTp > ISFj > INFp > INTj >
TiNe > SiTe > FiSe > NiFe > TiNe >

Switching the functions around in an attempt to "communicate in a familiar concept", takes away the consistency and validity of the idea of ring of benefit. Which is a Socionics concept, not MBTI.

Ink

Local time
-->
Yes:

INTj > ISTp > ISFj > INFp > INTj >
TiNe > SiTe > FiSe > NiFe > TiNe >

Switching the functions around in an attempt to "communicate in a familiar concept", takes away the consistency and validity of the idea of ring of benefit. Which is a Socionics concept.

So I'm not sure if you disagree with me or just the way I communicated it? :)

Top Bottom