• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What do you dislike about your INTP self?

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 4:24 AM
-->
So I was wondering if all us INTP's enjoyed or disliked the some of same type traits that we share.. I wanted to use the word 'hate', but that's a rather charged word, I'll use it anyway, just out of habit.. (I'm using the Jungian INTP description for an aid)

I hate the fact that I'm so disorganised and messy, in fact I have an aversion to disorganisation and messiness - so why am I guilty of it?!

I can spend 4 hours meticulously organising a room, or a project, putting everything in it's 'correct place', in order to create an efficient system or space, but then, god damn, if I'm running late and need to find just that one thing that wasn't where I thought I left it, I tear the place to shreds and within minutes, everythings just everwhere.. Or if I'm on a research project with info coming in from all angle's, I find I have to jot it down at all angels too... Whole books just full of scribbles and obscure references that have little or no explanation for my future self lol.

I hate mess, and I'm constantly at odds with myself over my bouts of lazyitus... I know I can be a slob when in a certain frame of mind and so I really try not to be. I attempt daily cleaning regimes which I can uphold in the strictest regard.... For like 4 days... Then it goes to shit again haha... Will this cycle ever end?!

I hate the fact that I feel lonely... I shouldn't, I'm very popular, I have 30 family members who I see often, like 12 proper close friends, 30 not so close friends, 50-100 acquaintances, and about another 30 pen pals... But none of those people make me feel any less lonely in this God forsaken world.. Dunno why.

I hate the fact that I can't discuss my emotions... Well I can, in a sort of 'devoid of emotion' sort of way, to people I'm not feeling the emotions over at least. But that's not very helpful. I've broken up with more than one boyfriend simply because I couldn't communicate my feelings verbally.. Nor can I with doctors, professionals, or Feelers who want me to open up. I'll never forget the one time all I wanted to tell my boyfriend was that I loved him... I wasn't sure if I did love him (I didn't), but at the time, he really needed to hear those words, for his own comfort... But I just couldn't do it, physically couldn't. A lump developed in my throat, along side a constricting feeling in my chest, I opened my mouth but the words wouldn't come out... I don't know why, I lie all time, and already made the decision to tell him that lie... But I couldn't follow through. An internal battle raged for what seemed an age... In the end I wrote it on a note and passed it him... He looked at me like I had 3 heads haha.

Sometimes I hate how detached I am... I mean, great for escaping reality... Not so great for being in reality. Always making myself look like a dumbass because I weren't listening when I was supposed to be.

I hate the fact that I'm an introvert, who finds other people extremely draining... People drain me so much, I just know life would be easier as an extrovert. After being drained of all my energy, I resent those who took it away from me, it makes me irritable and bitter, and I don't like being irritable or bitter.

Sometimes I hate the fact that I'm avoidant... Avoidance is perfect when some problems just go away by the selves.. At other times, my avoidance has just caused said problems to return with a vengeance.

I hate the fact that I loose things.. I would most certainly loose my head if it were screwed onto shoulders. I probably loose things about 5 times a day, it makes me feel inadequate, and look stupid to others.

Not punctual... This is the main reason I wish I were a natural J.
I'll be late to my own funeral.
I've managed to control my punctuality to the extent I don't get sacked from my jobs.... That's about as far as the achievment goes.

Procrastinating.. Always seems to take a hold of my priorities when I actually have real priorities to deal with. E.g.... Wakes up at 10am, has work at 1pm. Will begin the day with a coffee and a spliff, think I should read for an hour then get bathed, changed and out for work. Starts reading.... Looks at clock, turns 11am... Thinks 'I can get away with reading or another 30 mins'.... Looks at clock 11.50... 'Should really stop reading now.... Ohh but you need to make that thread before the subject leaves your mind'... 12pm, starts making thread that will make me late for work. Always the same god damn pattern, it's compulsive, I've tried to stop the procrastinating, but it's like a magnetic force.

Oh arr, real time example, it's 6.31am as I type this, I settled down to sleep 4 hours ago, but nope... Still here typing crap lol.

Anyway, would be great if you could share yours... All the INTP traits I didn't mention from Jungs description, I'm quite fond of :cool:

P.s, sorry there will be typo's, my keypads brook.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 5:24 AM
-->
lack of childhood fistfight experience, lack of self preservation overall, extreme procrastination, anhedonia

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Why do you think you lack self preservation?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 11:24 AM
-->
Procrastination, avoidance... it all boils down to fear. It's probably the aspect that I hate the most since it can stop me in my tracks.

Local time
-->
Procrastination, forgetfulness, lack of ambition and motivation, laziness and if I don't find myself quickly mastering/perfecting whatever it is I'm trying to do, I give up.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
Today 6:24 AM
-->
Unabilty to make myself want to do something.
No doing what I don't want to do.
Repeatedly learning not effective.

But I also like very much those things about me.
Make me understand,think slowly, didn't had to do pointless homework ,that is trying to mold my brain to think less one.

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
Yesterday 8:24 PM
-->
Procrastination, forgetfulness, lack of ambition and motivation, laziness and if I don't find myself quickly mastering/perfecting whatever it is I'm trying to do, I give up.

Pretty much sums up.
Another one is is impatience with ignorant/narrow-minded people or "suffer fools gladly" as they say.

StevenM

beep
Local time
Yesterday 11:24 PM
-->
The continuous rumination in creative problem solving can have it's pitfalls. What-if questions often transmute into something terrifying.

The not-working-well-with-others trait being a tremendous deficit in the modern world.

Being critical of others gets reflected back.

Choosing to undertake huge projects that will never be carried out to the end.

Completely averse to taking risks.

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
-->
I can definitely relate to the loneliness in-spite of having many friends and acquaintances. Everyone seems to talk a lot, and not say much of anything. Then lack the ability or interest to hear anything that I have to say. However, they will argue and tell me that I'm wrong. I'm not sure if I have any real friends... :smoker:

_whispers_

Vidi Vici Veni
Local time
-->
My inability to truly feel attachment towards another person. I feel like I've already spent whatever emotions I had and can't form real bonds. That puts me in a bad place where any sort of relationships are concerned.

Also I wish I could be friends with more people, but it's more of a wish than an actual dislike.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 12:24 PM
-->
Being aware of things most people usually aren't, but then discovering that if I were to shed light on it, the entire social pyramid will suffer or undergo some type of change. (Basically a Ti vs Fe thing; social cohesion vs efficiency)

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
Yesterday 10:24 PM
-->
I'm wayyy too blunt. I always say exactly what I mean and it sometimes hurts people's feelings--and, in past years, I wouldn't care at all. I figured 'truth is what's most important' and it is but sometimes you can miss it's nuance when you don't have patience. I've grown a lot the last few years and work hard to avoid it. I realize I can still think whatever I want about the person but its almost always better to keep it to myself when its not positive. When you take the humble position you learn a lot about dealing with other's emotions in general--and also yourself. All humans, including INTPs, are emotional creatures that need to be handled with sensitivity. A lot of us don't realize it until we get older that we too do have them, we just lack intelligence in handling them. Emotional intelligence...We think we can just blow people off or flat out ignore them. And ENTJs are among the most fragile groups I've ever encountered. They cannot handle honest criticism. ( I do like them though)

Funny enough, I learned a lot about emotional intelligence by watching the first Godfather movie. Vito Corleone knew how to deal with people because he was gifted at knowing intent. I could never be anything like that because I generally have no idea what the hell someone else is thinking until they tell me, or they have a pattern of behavior that I recognize through studying them.

marie

Local time
Today 11:24 AM
-->
Procrastination and short attention span (I'm always out of focus in my school).

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Yesterday 9:24 PM
-->
I hate that I'm never really sure of anything. I may feel confident for a moment, but all it takes is someone asking "are you sure?" for me to start qualifying and hedging my own thoughts. I could think the cloudless noon sky is definitely blue, but if I feel pressured to make an absolute statement to the fact, I'll start spouting crap like, "No, well, maybe? The sky appears blue to me and to most people, I think, and we know it does because of all the nitrogen in the air, if I recall correctly...sorry.."

The Grey Man

τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει
Local time
-->
I hate that I'm never really sure of anything. I may feel confident for a moment, but all it takes is someone asking "are you sure?" for me to start qualifying and hedging my own thoughts...
I have a similar problem. The people I see at work only discuss trivia, it seems to me, so I'm left saying either nothing or something trivial that appears indecisive or non committal. Both cases end with me cursing myself and verbal communication in general.

Of course, this is just one example of the greater pattern of disgust(?) with communication. Another is this post. I'm sure this post is rubbish, but I wade into this mire of messy syntax and faulty interpretation because I want to participate. But that's tangential.

When discussing trivia, the act itself doesn't make me unsure. The non committal response is meant to reflect the pre-existing uncertainty. I think you're justified in saying that that sky is not blue because blueness is not an integral part of that sky. Of course, that instance may go beyond uncertainty into certainty of the unexpected case, but the same principle applies: being "sure" is rarely important to the conversation. And the conversation? A series of canned reactions, from my perspective at least. I've come to believe that reading is a far more enriching experience, the syntax meticulously arranged for my interpreting pleasure. Both messy and organized syntax can help expose my ignorance, but the latter better crystallizes knowledge and helps me grow.

Frankie

Local time
Yesterday 9:24 PM
-->

Story of my life.
Also, that fact that I am like a computer for the 20th century trying to process 21st century data when it comes to social interaction.

InsertName

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The fact that when I think about things that intrigue me I end up being completely wrong, basically saying the things I like doing are the things I am bad at :|

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TheAdditional1

The Pharaohs Advocate
Local time
-->
I want to process and reply to Sinny91's original post more than anything, but THAT would be futile this late at night/early in the morning.

My issues:

-Procrastination. May be a fear response on some level, to both the things I think I'm capable of achieving, supplemented by a fear of commitment to the level of effort that it would take to achieve those things.

-I over-plan. Partially an addiction to efficiency - I want everything to link up and interact and supplement in the most efficient manner. Has anyone ever seen a construction schedule? I wish I could plan my life out like that and stick to it. But I also think that my tendency to over-plan things is more of an attempt at putting a positive spin on my omnipresent procrastination. "I'm not procrastinating, I'm planning."

-Inability to prioritize well. On any given day I have a storm of ideas, thoughts, concepts that I'd later like to incorporate into whatever it can be incorporated into, and ambitions. Most of these will take time and effort and what I've been noticing lately is that I simply cannot prioritize many things distinctively enough to truly pursue them, and just end up getting almost nothing done. So that bugs me.

-Laziness. Likely ties into procrastination. Or vice versa. Or yin and yang. Anyway. When there's stuff that just HAS to be done, this huge wall of reluctance comes towering in front of me out of nowhere. Even the simplest obligation of ironing a shirt is something I put off as long as I can. I have no idea where the reluctance comes from, but yet I do know the rewarding feeling that comes with getting something done and out of the way ahead of time. Just when it comes down to it, up comes the reluctance.

Finally someone mentioned that she hated her lack of organization. While I love a clean, efficient room, I am still perfectly fine with being surrounded by a mess - as long as it's my mess. I know where everything is, I've thrown and sorted things about and can 'feel' where they are. Like a mental eye of the storm - it's calming and relaxing. Just wish other people wouldn't judge as much.

Glider

Local time
-->
I smiled in recognition to most of these posts. I am most uncomfortable with parties, and with talking to people I dont know, for instance in shops and public places or on the phone. I have lots of ideas, and thoughts that I spend considerable time dreaming about and researching, but never realizing. I loved the comment about the feeling for where things are in your own mess. I have it too. My own mess is ok, unfortunately I live with people who do not like others mess ;)

Causeless

Local time
-->
Even the simplest obligation of ironing a shirt is something I put off as long as I can. I have no idea where the reluctance comes from, but yet I do know the rewarding feeling that comes with getting something done and out of the way ahead of time. Just when it comes down to it, up comes the reluctance.

P-HAHAHA! I put off ironing a shirt just yesterday morning. Ended up wearing a slightly wrinkled shirt.

Ironed it a few days previously with no difficulties whatsoever, but yesterday, man, getting up to iron that shirt may as well have been prepping for an adult circumcision.

Glider

Local time
-->
I have come to accept my wrinkled shirts and they dont bother me much anymore, although I fondly remember a period of almost a year, 12 years ago, when I ironed them!

Lol

Local time
-->
As an 18 year old:
(Don't know whether this is an INTP thing or just me)

-Inability to get shit done
-Only being comfortable to express a small variety of emotions
-Feeling like the odd one out in a group

gilliatt

Local time
-->
I hate all these little addictions, books, computer, etc. Then I jump around from this subject to that subject, never completing anything. I am suspicious of most everyone and I do hate regular old chores, house cleaning, and people trying to use me, pick me for advise. They think I know a lot, and yes I had one friend but that has passed. I like new ideas, experimenting, but the world is so damn pragmatic & non-ideological. Pragmatism is a kind word for it! If I lived back in the American Revolution, the world was more ideological. Yes, I might fit that era better, I am individualist, little government, against empire, taxation,regulations, executive power, militarism. Restrictions, controls in general. But today, it is a statist world, a collectivist world. Big government as far as the eye can see! Bureaucrats, special interests, business people worn down by government regulations, government interfering. Not to mention wars on top of wars. We need to start anew.

Cereal4Dinner

Redshirt
Local time
Today 10:24 AM
-->
I hate all these little addictions, books, computer, etc. Then I jump around from this subject to that subject, never completing anything.

This is so true. I'm always excited to start something new and ended up leaving it unfinished...

and also I'm very indecisive. I consider a lot of factors when I make decisions. I wonder if any other INTP has this problem?

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
i dislike that it's the fucked up grudgy malnourished version of my true amazing ENTP self.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 5:24 PM
-->
^ Hey, I think I found one of your childhood videos.

[bimgx=300]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7xQaC8bH8WY/VQLsAoPb_pI/AAAAAAABZGY/rqbb6N4sG04/s1600/738036525ebea20920afa4a9694d9041.jpg[/bimgx]

Is that you?

Raingull

Redshirt
Local time
-->
So much of this resonates.

- Procrastination: I never get anything done, even the simplest chores in the world, whether it's doing laundry or going to the grocery store. It's like the idea of doing simple tasks is impossible. I would need a gun to my head to get moving. I am not like that at work, at work I am on the ball and an overachiever if anything, but when I come home, I just can't bring myself to do incredibly easy things that NEED doing.

- Jumping around from thing to thing: this happens to me constantly when looking for entertainment, I'll start a show on Netflix then immediately abandon it. I'll start playing a game then give it up. On the other hand, when I hit the right thing I will become completely absorbed, but that seemed to happen much more in my teens than it does now. I think I just fear committing to an option.

- Small talk: so let me preface this by saying that I am well aware that everyone has their own way of having fun and communicating but sometimes I just want to be like "either say something interesting or shut the fuck up." People blathering on about television shows at work drives me up the wall (though of course you won't hear me complaining when I am quoting American Dad with my friends). And when you're meeting people or they feel they have to talk to be polite, I just want to be like, "What are we doing here? Let's commit to talking about something worthwhile. You don't have to stop talking but don't ask me the mundane details of my life or expect me to care about yours." God it feels good to say that. But it would be better if I could just get into their own damn conversation flow.

Octocat

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I can't seem to focus on one thing and finish it before starting another thing (mostly the case with drawing, reading, writing and school work). Another thing is (this may be less about being and INTP and more about being a teenager but..) I'm incredibly awkward and fidgety. Small talk is torture. :cthulhu: (that was completely unrelated i just really like Cthulhu)

Top Bottom