• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What do you do with unlimited freedom?

Sherl

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:29 AM
-->
Okay, here's the story.

I passed a proficiency exam this month which has granted me the equivalency of a high school diploma; therefore, from this point on I am finished with high school (and yes, I chose to leave.)

[from here on is my justification for leaving]

I chose to leave high school simply because it is not challenging, nor was the work important. Most work, you might say, is not important but it must be done. The problem with that philosophy is that I aggressively abhor it. Any type of unimportant work in large quantities for extended periods of time simply drain me. Life to me is much simpler than we all let it on to be, so I'd like to keep it simple and eliminate the obstructions to my own fulfillment. Simple enough concept to grasp, easy to work towards in most cases, and a decent starting point for me at the moment. But I am not asking for an opinion regarding my philosophy, nor am I asking for your philosophy on work. I did, however, feel the need to give you the insight as to how I feel regarding high school and most work in general, just so you can understand a bit more as to who you're dealing with.

Simply put, I left because high school is a waste of time and energy. Seeing as how I passed a proficiency test with ease, it is safe to assume that I no longer needed to attend high school. It would not make me smarter in the right ways.

[end justification]

Originally, I had a plan, as all INTPs usually do, and it seemed like it was quite a solid plan. Of course, the problem was that I had fallen out of interest with the original plan and now I am back to square one, as it might seem. The purpose of me telling you this is simply to illustrate to you all that I didn't leave high school without purpose, I initially did have direction- now I do not.

So what am I asking for?

I am asking for some advice. I eliminated what I did not want to do with my life, at the moment, and I currently need to find out what I do want in my life. It's easy to spot problems, but it is hard to find solutions.

As a side note, I will not be attending high school again, so please refrain from suggesting that.

Options on the table:
-College (I can attend this year)
-Work
-Library
-?

I have supportive parents, a good learning environment, a library twenty or so minutes away, an unlimited source of knowledge (the internet), and I am extremely focused if I have a clear goal.

So what do you do? What is your job? As an INTP, does it fulfill you? Does it make you happy?

Perhaps you were unschooled. What did you do as an unschooler?

If you are in college, or were, then was it a worthy experience? Is it a waste of time and money, or does it genuinely prove useful?

Are there any psychologists out there? Be it clinical, forensic, etc. If you are, then how is your job? Is psychology even interesting after learning about it for such an extended period of time?

What about those of you who do something that is completely different? Perhaps not viewed by society as "correct" or "the right way to do it." What do you do that's different? Does it fulfill you at all? We are talking about college, jobs, traveling, self-education. More personal development type stuff.

I simply would like to see whether or not there is a common interest amongst us INTP types. You all most likely are very similar to me in regards to our mind's standard procedure- at least more so than others. I would assume a lot of us, perhaps I am generalizing, have asked similar questions and would like to find a bottom line or a common thread that seems to be an underlying key in INTP personal development.

I have unlimited time on my hands, as it stands, and I would like to make good use of it. My thinking is that, with all of your input, I can compile something of a guide- an indicator- that can further highlight what I should do with my time, my life, whatever. So please, if you would share what you do, why you do it, and whether or not you enjoy it, I would appreciate your contribution.

TLDR;
Passed proficiency exam, no longer attending high school. Unlimited time and freedom on hands with great support and ability to do pretty much anything within reason. Had a plan initially, fell apart, and now I am in need of your experiences. I can: go to college, work, or educate myself at a public library (etc). What do you recommend? If you are in college, or were, then how was it (was it worth it?). If you are working, whether conventionally or unconventionally, then what do you do? Why do you do it? Does it fulfill you? If you are a psychologist, then is psychology even interesting after so many years of dedication towards the field (that would be my interest)?

Finally, what would you do if you were in my position? I literally have all the time in the world, as it seems, and unlimited freedom to do what I wish, within reason of course.

Perhaps we can all learn something new about each other and our own individuality in the process of this thread. Who knows? But please share, I would be very grateful.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
If I could do whatever...

I would download android studio and visual studio express and start making phone apps. Start creating a book using interesting plots and characters. Study about personalities, thought processes, meet people and try to understand them so that my book characters where that much greater. Build application that helps organize my book. Then take hikes in the forest to calm my overactive Ti.

But then I guess I already do this...

I would go to college. I love it. To bad I don't have the funds to stay their.

I do have a job in troubleshooting various electronic issues. It uses my chreativity and logic just like with all my other little projects above. Oh and I want to get into Microcontrollers. Maybe build something with that. There is so much out there to do as long as you can just get up and dig into the books/internet.

For most new projects is like this...If you can just get past the first most difficult steps you may just see all the possibilities on the other side and cannot help but keep walking toward all of them.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:29 AM
-->
Finally, what would you do if you were in my position? I literally have all the time in the world, as it seems, and unlimited freedom to do what I wish, within reason of course.
Were I so lucky to be in that position, I undoubtedly would do something hedonistic and waste the advantages offered.

That said, with the hindsight of being in my late 40s, having been married for 25 years, having had two kids (who are now adults--neither of whom attended high school but are doing just fine, FYI), and having worked in a great many fields...

I would work to solve problems with social injustices, probably by learning as much about how the law and government actually work, and plot a series of alternate pathways through government positions.

Really. Change the world for the better.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:29 PM
-->
Build something, write some apps, make a game, I dunno what do you want to do?

This is the time in your life for taking big risks, starting ambitious projects, learning new skills even if that means screwing up and learning what not to do.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
INTJ, so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt, but...

Knowing what I know now, I would take some time off. I was an idiot at your age (you, clearly, are not) and needed time to mature. Ideally I would go somewhere totally out of my comfort zone for a year or two and learn something or do something meaningful, like study Jiu Jitsu in Brazil or volunteer with a charity in India. The third world-ier the better because a little bit of money can go a long way there (seriously, check out the cost of living in India), just be sure not to go anywhere obviously dangerous and be smart about it.

While I was away I would apply to Deep Springs College. Really awesome program I wish I'd know about when I was in high school.

From there I'd work my ass off to get into an elite school, preferably an Ivy. I did end up at one of these schools incidentally, but it was a bit of a surprise and it was via a much more mundane route. These schools open up serious doors, and I think if you have the necessary intellectual horsepower you should do everything that you can to attend one. Being the INTJ scum that I am I would probably have studied finance or economics, but really the world is your oyster at those places. Once you're there it just becomes a matter of discovering what drives you and then pursuing it relentlessly.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 4:29 PM
-->
What was the original plan? I'm curious to know.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 4:29 PM
-->
Travel!

If you can't afford to travel abroad then visiting different locations within your country will do.

Meet new people, learn about different cultures and have more data for your mind to play with. You seem to have an inquisitive mind so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You'll also build a sizable number of stories from your journey which is quite useful during social activities.

Of course, after your trips I suggest that you start building for your future. Well you could apply as a University researcher/staff. At my university, staff can avail some discount on their tuition fees. They also get to access the library as well. In this way you hit all of your choices (Work, Library and College). Bonus points if you chose to work at a library :D

Sherl

Redshirt
Local time
-->
If I could do whatever...

I would download android studio and visual studio express and start making phone apps. Start creating a book using interesting plots and characters. Study about personalities, thought processes, meet people and try to understand them so that my book characters where that much greater. Build application that helps organize my book. Then take hikes in the forest to calm my overactive Ti.

But then I guess I already do this...

I would go to college. I love it. To bad I don't have the funds to stay their.

I do have a job in troubleshooting various electronic issues. It uses my chreativity and logic just like with all my other little projects above. Oh and I want to get into Microcontrollers. Maybe build something with that. There is so much out there to do as long as you can just get up and dig into the books/internet.

For most new projects is like this...If you can just get past the first most difficult steps you may just see all the possibilities on the other side and cannot help but keep walking toward all of them.

Funny, I knew Visual Studio and programing would come about, though I did not think in the first post.

College, hm? Why do you recommend college? What was your experience like, if you did go?

Also, it is interesting, I walk around my city -- it is very small -- quite often to quiet my mind as well.

What you said regarding new projects is true. Right now, my problem is that I have so many opportunities to do things that I can't narrow down what I should be doing, which is why I am trying to learn from you all what you do or what seems to be a common interest amongst us that perhaps I would share.

Were I so lucky to be in that position, I undoubtedly would do something hedonistic and waste the advantages offered.

That said, with the hindsight of being in my late 40s, having been married for 25 years, having had two kids (who are now adults--neither of whom attended high school but are doing just fine, FYI), and having worked in a great many fields...

I would work to solve problems with social injustices, probably by learning as much about how the law and government actually work, and plot a series of alternate pathways through government positions.

Really. Change the world for the better.

Government positions, hm? Interesting since I wanted to study political science at a younger age. Though perhaps what you'd want to be is more of an ambassador, maybe?

I like the change the world for the better idea as well. I too would love to do that, but the reality for me is that changing the world is quite a huge fish. If I think about changing the world for the better, I can think of a million ideas, as I'm sure all of us could, but implementing those ideas takes time. Unfortunately, I lack patience. Perhaps that is something I must work on then? Along with a better work ethic. Definitely should and will. As for now, I believe I should know my own world before I go out and change The world.

However, thank you for the input and ideas, especially regarding your grander vision.

Build something, write some apps, make a game, I dunno what do you want to do?

This is the time in your life for taking big risks, starting ambitious projects, learning new skills even if that means screwing up and learning what not to do.

What do I want to do? I am asking you to help me figure out. Defer defer defer! What a great CEO I'd make.

Honestly, I am not quite sure what I want to do. What I want seems to be wrong by society's standards, which makes me all the more happy since it makes me feel like I've accomplished something- which I haven't, really. Though I suppose I should listen to my heart and do what I want to do, right? ~the crowd yells yes!~ I know, I know. We all say this to one another, but it is much harder in reality, isn't it?

What I do want to do is learn, right now. That's why I am here asking what I am asking. I want to learn about what you all did or do so that I can have more experiences. If I know what you all like to do, then I can safely say that I will enjoy doing at least some of what you all do because we have similar personality types and have gone, are going, through similar stages in life. Regardless of age, I can learn from anyone. There is always more to learn and I can learn more by drawing on all of your experiences.

I definitely would like to start ambitious projects and learn new skills- even screw everything up and learn. There's just one problem... what project do I start on? What new skills do I learn that would be useful?

A better question: What projects do you all think I should start on that would make a positive impact on society, provide me fulfillment, and would be actually useful?

If you can provide me an answer to that, I'll definitely consider it! It's just a question with an infinite number of possibilities. There's always ways to improve. Again, what do you choose when the opportunity is limitless? When you have all the time in the world, why do you need a watch? Hyperboles, yes, but you understand what I'm saying.

INTJ, so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt, but...

Knowing what I know now, I would take some time off. I was an idiot at your age (you, clearly, are not) and needed time to mature. Ideally I would go somewhere totally out of my comfort zone for a year or two and learn something or do something meaningful, like study Jiu Jitsu in Brazil or volunteer with a charity in India. The third world-ier the better because a little bit of money can go a long way there (seriously, check out the cost of living in India), just be sure not to go anywhere obviously dangerous and be smart about it.

While I was away I would apply to Deep Springs College. Really awesome program I wish I'd know about when I was in high school.

From there I'd work my ass off to get into an elite school, preferably an Ivy. I did end up at one of these schools incidentally, but it was a bit of a surprise and it was via a much more mundane route. These schools open up serious doors, and I think if you have the necessary intellectual horsepower you should do everything that you can to attend one. Being the INTJ scum that I am I would probably have studied finance or economics, but really the world is your oyster at those places. Once you're there it just becomes a matter of discovering what drives you and then pursuing it relentlessly.

I may not be an idiot, but I also know I am not intelligent. Jack of all trades, master of none. Life intelligence, I guess.

I learned martial arts at fourteen and stopped because I didn't go for a week and felt guilty, making me not go again and again. Turns out the grandmaster I was under was also pretty money hungry. But that's a different story.

Deep Springs.. All I can say is.. wow? First time I've ever read a brochure all the way through and was genuinely excited. Quite an amazing environment, honestly. I will definitely consider it. Thank you for sharing that.

I feel as though attending college is only worth it if I know what I need or want to do. So as soon as I know what I want to do, I'll definitely pursue it. Though that is unclear to me now, everything gets a bit more clearer with each of your posts.

Thank you, as well, for Deep Springs College and your thought process. Definitely not a scummy INTJ.

What was the original plan? I'm curious to know.

It had a lot to do with implementation that I simply did not want to pursue. Turns out that the original plan, which is entirely unimportant, was revolving around people that I did not want to be around.

What I will say is that it was a business with concrete funding, a sound business plan, and actual partners. It was definitely a business that was going to revolutionize thinking and thought processes, but I wanted no part of it once I realized the audience I was targeting was genuinely repulsive due to their repugnant behavior. I left immediately, despite losing a large amount of potential profit.

Uncollege.org! Interesting I see it here. I went on this website around three months ago. Definitely a great resource tool that I had forgotten about. Thank you.

Travel!

If you can't afford to travel abroad then visiting different locations within your country will do.

Meet new people, learn about different cultures and have more data for your mind to play with. You seem to have an inquisitive mind so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You'll also build a sizable number of stories from your journey which is quite useful during social activities.

Of course, after your trips I suggest that you start building for your future. Well you could apply as a University researcher/staff. At my university, staff can avail some discount on their tuition fees. They also get to access the library as well. In this way you hit all of your choices (Work, Library and College). Bonus points if you chose to work at a library :D

I would love to travel. It really is my dream to travel the world without worry, and I have a plan to do so for around $3k a month. So many resources online, it's amazing what one can find. The problem is I need to be 18 to fully pursue that dream. It is definitely achievable, so perhaps I should call it a goal. Finances mapped out, people, living locations, five year plan, the works.

I think what you said is true. I definitely want to experience the world firsthand before I make any life career decisions. But still, it would be good to at least have options and think about it all instead of putting it off til a later date. So I will continue to farm my knowledge and learn as much as I can before my allotted amount of freedom expires- unlimited freedom, yes, but at the cost of social grace. I need to contribute somehow so I did cap my freedom time down to about two years, which is a lot of time to figure things out. Legally, I am also in a more compromising state, so it all works out.

Again, thanks for the contributions. This all is quite helpful and useful. Please continue to add your insights and experiences if you will.

OmoInisa

Local time
Today 8:29 AM
-->
Am I the only one having trouble believing that the OP is truly a teen? You display more wisdom and self-possesion than many 40 year olds. You'll make an awesome specimen of INTP when you are actually 40 :)

I'll report as requested:

I had my fair share of the Fe pull towards the humanities in my teens. I enjoyed theology and history at school, and could easily have gone into a degree in philosophy/psychology/theology etc at university had my better judgement not won out (nothing like the necessity of studying something marketable to focus an INTP's mind and redirect them to their dominant rather than inferior function).
The inferior is exotic and exciting, but it should perhaps be indulged in small and low-pressure doses. It's wiser to align one's choice of vocation with the dominant if possible.

So I ended up studying telecoms eng. And that's the field I currently work in, aged 30.
I'm glad I made that choice. If I'm to do something amazing in this life, I know I'm most likely to do it through the dom-aux pair, rather than the recreational ter-inf. I can explore the humanities to my heart's content on a hobby basis.

Now the above having been said, there is generally enough variation within most fields of work to allow any type to find a way to bring their dom-aux to bear, to find their niche, such that they achieve sufficient fulfilment and effectiveness. It's just easier and more straightforward to do it in a field that aligns with your type almost by definition.

Go forth, young buck :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom