• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What is the point of killing mosquitos?

Thurlor

Nutter
Local time
Tomorrow 4:47 AM
-->
After they have already bitten you? Isn't it just a response born of anger or irritation? Would such a response be appropriate for a dog bite or a cat scratch?

I ask because I have heard numerous vegans claim it is wrong to needlessly kill animals yet they will happily kill all insects and other vermin with the reason given that they are a health/safety concern. But such aan argument only works if you are pre-emptively killing the offending animals or you believe that the offending species of animals can learn to avoid humans through some sort of capital punishment.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 8:47 PM
-->
Cause they will likely bite you again.
Lyme desise is from ticks but not all ticks are carriers. How you can be sure that is the same insect and that is free of bacteria/virus?
So even after one bite killing is still pre-emptive

Also dogs who had rabies or susppected for having it are killed. In my country it's forbidden to treat them at all.

Cats often are kept outside profilactically or given to other members of family when pregnant woman is in house. Toxoplasmosis being dangerous for develiping fetus.

Most beloved pets are rarely that dangerous in developed countries.

Humans have instinct to kill insects, snakes and rodents. Survivalist assumption of plague and poison carriers.

As a kid I saw kitten getting sick and diying after eating rat.( I saw him eating it) Idk if it's for sure cause rat but my brain connected it and rats are now nothing more but total dirt and scum. And ppl who own them too.

The only way for any rat to rehabilitate their murky reputation is to become lab rat. Spending their all earthy days with open skull- chip in brain. Being useful. If not, death is the only solution.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:47 AM
-->
After they have already bitten you? Isn't it just a response born of anger or irritation? Would such a response be appropriate for a dog bite or a cat scratch?
I prefer to squash mosquitoes before they bite me and I believe this is true for most people but they're stealthy little buggers and even once one has fed and is no longer a direct threat I'm still going to squash it because I know it needs that blood to reproduce and create more mosquitoes.

TwoStein

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:47 PM
-->

I ask because I have heard numerous vegans claim it is wrong to needlessly kill animals yet they will happily kill all insects and other vermin with the reason given that they are a health/safety concern. But such aan argument only works if you are pre-emptively killing the offending animals or you believe that the offending species of animals can learn to avoid humans through some sort of capital punishment.

Wow i am impressed this question have gone unanswered logically for so long on INTP forums. Hello INTPS? Your logic should be able to handle this better than this..

The logical answer is of course that if you kill the mosquito you prevent them laying eggs. Only females bite, and suck the blood because they need it to be able to create larvae that will become more mosquitos that come back and bite you even more. But only if you let them live. This is true even after they have sucked your blood.

Always kill the mosquito, if you can.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
Today 9:47 PM
-->
I asked the mosquito why do you live?
The answer is not.

ummidk

Local time
Today 1:47 PM
-->
I think the better question is if there is a point to not killing all mosquitoes. They kill about 700,000 people a year and apparently we do have a way to kill them.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 7:47 PM
-->
I ask because I have heard numerous vegans claim it is wrong to needlessly kill animals yet they will happily kill all insects and other vermin with the reason given that they are a health/safety concern.

Most insectoid things are surviving due to numbers not the ability to survive. A mosquito is not the same as killing a cow or chicken. A mosquito dies pretty fast, but they also reproduce fast. Cows and chickens are more related to us and minus the intellectual capacity they feel pain just about as much as we do. Not sure this claim is true, but they do sure act like they hate pain. They also have feelings and that is also relatable.
Why are people so affectionate to dogs or cats, the pets they have, yet have no affection to creatures outside of the vision.
More importantly cows and chickens are not just killed they suffer a lot sort of like people in concentration camps.
Very few animals get to live a good life and get killed nice and neat.
Plus it is a value judgment and even if you do not agree with it people have the right to assign value to life.

Insects by design grow in numbers and die in numbers they are cannon fodder.
Cows chickens have relatively much much longer lives.

Top Bottom