• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

what is the use of money and prestige?

WALKYRIA

Local time
Today 5:56 AM
-->
Me says: basically ... to get laid and to land a hot quality girl.
Depressing? I know...
anything to add?

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
That's right, waving dollarz in the air and saying "show me your titties!" That's certainly what I would do with my money and prestige. :)

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
Today 6:56 AM
-->
In possession of someone with the right mindset, money can be freedom and independence.

Frankie

Local time
Yesterday 11:56 PM
-->
Less worry about 'trivial' things like:
'What will I eat tomorrow?'
'can I afford this and that'
'can I afford to contribute this to that person or that group?'

With less worry on these things, you can now focus on other 'big' things.

Think Elon Musk.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
The use is everything.

Faulty values that cause money and prestige to be seen as ends and not means are the problem, not money and prestige as such.

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
-->
I get that some money is necessary to get by but like the OP I don't see the use of excessive amounts of money/prestige since I have nothing I would want to use it on, or at least nothing I want enough to put in the effort to get these currencies. In fact the best use of money I can think of is using it to do less work, and the best valus return in this scenario that I can think of is not putting in the effort in the first place.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Money ultimately allows me to ignore or control anything and anyone without risking my safety (without changing my position on the board unless I choose to, actually it is controlling the board and placing me outside of the game).

In itself it has a supplementary role in a society, most of personal safety, control and power should ideally come from the individual not from what they possess.

RaBind

sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
Local time
-->
Money is power. You need different levels of power to be able to do things, so when people work for money they are working to gather enough power to reach their desired ends.

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
In possession of someone with the right mindset, money can be freedom and independence.

Sure, but ultimately what would all that freedom and independence serve you for( assuming you are a normal man thus heterosexual one!)?
To be more extremist I'll go as far as saying that if sex and better mating opportunities weren't the ultimate endgoal of all the hardwork, people would't strive for money or prestige and would be doing the minimum possible to get by... Knowing this, we now understand why INTPs are generally unmotivated, lazy and losers by societie's standards. It's because of the tendency for relative asexuality( with sexual "libido" replaced or altered by intellectual "libido").

Money is power. You need different levels of power to be able to do things, so when people work for money they are working to gather enough power to reach their desired ends.
Enough power and reaching desired ends? Assuming that you are normal, what would be your greatest desired end? Spreading your genes and mating in the best way possible. nah?

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
Sure, but ultimately what would all that freedom and independence serve you for( assuming you are a normal man thus heterosexual one!)?
To be more extremist I'll go as far as saying that if sex and better mating opportunities weren't the ultimate endgoal of all the hardwork, people would't strive for money or prestige and would be doing the minimum possible to get by... Knowing this, we now understand why INTPs are generally unmotivated, lazy and losers by societie's standards. It's because of the tendency for relative asexuality( with sexual "libido" replaced or altered by intellectual "libido").

The consequences of freedom and independence are not necessarily the reasons one seeks such freedom in the first place. I need to eat in order to live -- does that mean I live just so that I can eat?

Your INTP theory is a little bit too idiotic to be responded to.

paradoxparadigm7

Local time
Today 12:56 AM
-->
Correct me if I'm wrong but you've posted before on a similar topic and in both it seems that "to get laid and to land a hot quality girl" is the main goal. I'm not casting anything negative related to your goal but just because you apply evolutionary imperative of mating and offspring doesn't mean it's just about money and prestige in attracting a suitable women. You seem to think it's a linear thing. Just get more money and prestige and poof, a hot girl will appear. Many other factors go into attraction. Character, values, physical qualities, maturity, mutual interests, charm, humor etc...There is no magic formula or shortcut as much as you'd like there to be. If you want to attract quality, BE quality but accept you may not get what you want. No guarantees right?

marie

Local time
Today 1:56 PM
-->
Well I need money to buy foods, pay my bills, buy books and games.
I could care less about prestige.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
If I had a huge amount of wealth I would start an organization of workshops/thinktanks/hackerspaces full of artists, scientists, philosophers, thinkers and writers to imagine solutions to various problems, invent stuff and debate together. It would also be a publishing company for any of the members, everywhere from books to newsletters. I would have the freedom to pursue only the things I loved. I would also rent a mansion every now and again and throw huge gatsby style parties for the members of said organization, which would be the ultimate aesthetic experience, awesome live music of all sorts from classical to dubstep, unlimited alcohol and food and other substances (also a huge luxurious library with couches everywhere for people who want to chill away from the noise and madness). I would do one every season with a different theme, Bacchus, Saturnals, 1001 nights, persephone, Gothic horror, etc... :D would be awesome.

But otherwise given more reasonable amounts, what people said above. Freedom, essentially. No longer being tied to worries over basic needs. Discovering new places, travelling. Support those I love.

Lol

Local time
-->
Money alows you to live your life to its fullest potential, not just women.

RaBind

sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
Local time
-->
Enough power and reaching desired ends? Assuming that you are normal, what would be your greatest desired end? Spreading your genes and mating in the best way possible. nah?

Only godly power is enough because most people want what they probably can never realistically achieve. Knowledge is power, so is money and prestige and a lot of other things.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:56 AM
-->

That was my answer.

Money liberates me to do what I want and have access to the resources I want. It removes any barriers I might have towards being able to explore something I'm curious about.

And if you have enough... it takes the place of time. Essentially nowadays people trade time for money (i.e., workday) to get resources. If you have enough money, then you can just trade directly for resources without having to sacrifice your time. Time is valuable, especially when you realize your energy is finite.

Money in itself, squandered on "things," seems more useless.

Prestige can also get you access to resources and experiences, but it seems volatile and attached to the social network where one's influence can wax and wane.

Top Bottom