• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What is your dress style like, or lack thereof?

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today 2:43 AM
-->
How much emphasis do you put (or, how much emphasis do you put into your lack of emphasis) in the way you dress yourself?

Do you prefer certain colors in general?

How much do the colors change for different occasions?

Does it even matter?

Form over function? Function over form?

I find that comfort prevails, though while I love dressing casually, I try to add a little thing of flair if I know I will need to be social, just because it can be a point of first impression magnetism.

My go-to outfit on the day-to-day is a gray shirt, black bottoms, black sneakers.

In the (rare) case I'll go to a social event or hang out with someone, I'll try to lighten up on the black and gray or try to make it "fun" looking. Then I'll also do blues, reds, and very occasionally pops of gold and silver.

It's the weekend, and while I have options to go out the best option seems to be staying in. So, naturally I'm thinking about things like apparel styles and whether or not they have actual significance in social settings or influence on the mood you have while you are by yourself.

Oddly, recently I realized I had this orange shirt that I wore for days straight to change things up, and that made me crave and consume foods basically nonstop. So, back to gray lol.

lightfire

Local time
Today 1:43 AM
-->
I wear a massively inflatable rabbit onesie

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 12:43 AM
-->
plain dress clothes
I own no suites

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 6:43 AM
-->
I put as little thought as possible into dressing. Only thing I care about are shoes and warm clothing in winter. Otherwise I dont care. More or less I try to wear the least expensive stuff and blend in. I sometimes I match colors of stuff just for fun, but thats about it. I like grey and black and red colors.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
in principle form over function, but I'm divided between caring how I look and not wanting to spend any time on how I look. So I usually buy pretty nice clothes and them wear them for several years until I look like a bum and then repeat the process.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I've actually considered learning how to sew so that I can adjust clothes myself, but that's been in the planning phase for quite a while

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:43 PM
-->
I actually own quite a few very nice dresses, outfits, shoes, etc., and I have a keen interest in fashion. However, after much procrastinating in front of the cupboard, sometimes involving putting stuff on and pulling it off multiple times, I somehow always seem to mysteriously end up in a hoodie.

It's like I get inspired for about 10 minutes and then, it's just kinda meh...

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
Today 7:43 AM
-->
If I had the complexion for it, I'd wear dark, cold colors, but I have warm skin and golden brown hair, so that just looks strange on me.

I try to buy clothes of the same palette, so I can put less thought into how i combine them. Colors of similar saturation and warmth. This generally means I use slightly warm colors, in medium dark shades (nature colored, I guess), because they go best with my complexion. I favor practicality over aesthetics, but usually the two can be combined since I prefer a classic, minimalist style. Form follows function - practical is aesthetic :P

I grew up in a family interested in visual arts- my father was a journalist reporting on architecture. Fashion was frowned upon, though, which was strange to me, since my father's motto was "form follows function". What is more practical than clothes?

Clothes have enormous influence on how people see you. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. Learning to control the impression you make is worthwhile.

rlnb

Local time
Today 2:43 PM
-->
Plain clothes. Dull/dark colors. No text or designs on them.
Typically a polo t-shirt, jeans. Not tucked in.

I have one pair of dark blue sneakers I wear to work. Outside of work, no shoes only sandals.

ANAXEL

I always get invited to parties
Local time
-->
If I had the complexion for it, I'd wear dark, cold colors, but I have warm skin and golden brown hair, so that just looks strange on me.

I try to buy clothes of the same palette, so I can put less thought into how i combine them. Colors of similar saturation and warmth. This generally means I use slightly warm colors, in medium dark shades (nature colored, I guess), because they go best with my complexion. I favor practicality over aesthetics, but usually the two can be combined since I prefer a classic, minimalist style. Form follows function - practical is aesthetic :P

I grew up in a family interested in visual arts- my father was a journalist reporting on architecture. Fashion was frowned upon, though, which was strange to me, since my father's motto was "form follows function". What is more practical than clothes?

Clothes have enormous influence on how people see you. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. Learning to control the impression you make is worthwhile.

I agree with that. I also strongly agree that it shouldn’t be that way. I’ve always felt hag anyone who can afford to challenge subconscious impressions should go for it.

I personally chose to skip on the impressions issue by wearing all black. I had an isfj friend who used to help me choose the right clothes for me (brown skin, dark hair). I eventually scrapped impressions control because other things were taking up my time... and I’m really bad at it.
I find that if your personality does half the job of impressions you can get away with a few bolder things. I’m super skinny and I wear black dress-up shirts everywhere I go (and black pants and dark brown boots). I’m also 6ft tall, wear silver rings and other small decorative accents. I also have very curly hair that gets wild pretty quickly. It gets the idea across, if that’s to be not much of an idea at all, and that’s fine for me. It attracts the people I want, repels those I don’t want.
If I ever wear colors, everything goes wrong. WRONG.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
I agree with that. I also strongly agree that it shouldn’t be that way. I’ve always felt hag anyone who can afford to challenge subconscious impressions should go for it.

Yeah, I always have the urge to challenge people's prejudices, but at the same time I'm ripe with them myself. I guess that's alright, it would be cumbersome not to be able to judge someone's character by their appearance and mannerisms. Still, I think we INTPs as outliers often get misunderstood. I wish people would be more tentative about their first impressions, ready to be proven wrong.

I chose to skip on the impressions issue by wearing all black. I had an isfj friend who used to help me choose the right clothes for me (brown skin, dark hair). I eventually scrapped impressions control because other things were taking up my time... and I’m really bad at it.
Yeah, hehe... Sounds like black would work well on you, so that's probably a good solution.

I find that if your personality does half the job of impressions you can get away with a few bolder things

Yeah... I've been of the mind that my personality is so unconventional that my clothing should be conventional, but like you wrote, a good use of clothing is using it to reflect who you are, and consquentially attract those who appreciate you for who you are. I am increasingly thinking along those lines. As it turns out, I just really like minimalist, classic style, though, lol

I also have very curly hair that gets wild pretty quickly.
You and me both, bro... I wonder if it's an INTP thing? :p Isn't Einstein both the archetypal INTP, and the oroginal wild haired professor?

If I ever wear colors, everything goes wrong. WRONG.

If you make a game out of noticing colors that go well together, you get a pretty big mental library of color combinations, eventually. But you seem to have found a style that works for you. When I'm busy I adopt the same philosophy... Just grab something basic that doesn't make me look like a complete bum.

ANAXEL

Local time
-->
You and me both, bro... I wonder if it's an INTP thing? :p Isn't Einstein both the archetypal INTP, and the original wild haired professor?

If you make a game out of noticing colors that go well together, you get a pretty big mental library of color combinations, eventually. But you seem to have found a style that works for you. When I'm busy I adopt the same philosophy... Just grab something basic that doesn't make me look like a complete bum.

I'm actually an ENTP (without any doubt)! :D
Impressions are outside of my control (you know how it be with inferior Si). I'm SO BAD at it. I'm not just using the function stacking to reason away a personality flaw. Not only does my mind play with impressions like a dyslexic kid's would play with three 10 digit long phone numbers, but it really doesn't facilitate suppressing my impulsivity to immediately get out of the grid and experiment. I have made extensive lists of things I could wear, in front of what people, under what lighting, what complimenting scents to include, what body language to apply taking into consideration the social dynamics and overall environment. Got lost in the freaking details, dude.
I know I can ultimately get the science down, but it'll take me a bit.
Help.
I've always strongly respected you guys for being so grounded when it comes to so many rules I've always disregarded.

Dude, curly hair? Yes, you guys are 100% the OG wild hair professor (idk who the OG Frankensteins are, but I like to think it's all the NTP's. I relate to the character so much... except for, y'know, the incestual aspect).
If you ask me, I think THAT impression is awesome. Selective, yes, but awesome.
For an INTP, I think wilder hair goes A LONG way for you guys as your serene autonomy and coy efficiency compliments it. :good:(Unless you necessitate SOCIAL efficiency. BORING! What the heck are you all tryna' do, impress the sexiest ESFJ? I mean, I don't blame you, but you all smarter than that, that's the kinda crap I WOULD try to pull off, what's up? :yuk::p)

I once had the pleasure of meeting an INTP girl (really cute) who not only wore vivid colors pretty well but her glasses were really cool: a subtle shade of blue with a thick frame. She also had curls, hehe! She gave off such a good image, in my opinion, as whatever she said was anything but conventional or cheery. I think that juxtaposition compliments you guys really well in the long run, makes you be seen as a respectable figure who is confident and controlled yet approachable.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
I'm actually an ENTP (without any doubt)! :D
Ahh, so that's why you get invited to parties :P

If you ask me, I think THAT impression is awesome. Selective, yes, but awesome.
For an INTP, I think wilder hair goes A LONG way for you guys as your serene autonomy and coy efficiency compliments it. :good:(Unless you necessitate SOCIAL efficiency. BORING! What the heck are you all tryna' do, impress the sexiest ESFJ? I mean, I don't blame you, but you all smarter than that, that's the kinda crap I WOULD try to pull off, what's up? :yuk::p)
Hehe, well... I think social efficiency just becomes a game I want to master. I don't really care about the rewards of the game, but put my self esteem in being capable in it. Might be a borderline INTJ thing. Your devil may care attitude is inspiring, I'll take it to heart.

I once had the pleasure of meeting an INTP girl (really cute) who not only wore vivid colors pretty well but her glasses were really cool: a subtle shade of blue with a thick frame. She also had curls, hehe! She gave off such a good image, in my opinion, as whatever she said was anything but conventional or cheery. I think that juxtaposition compliments you guys really well in the long run, makes you be seen as a respectable figure who is confident and controlled yet approachable.

I've been on the fence on this for some years now, ending up in an unsatisfying compromise between conforming and being myself. I think you've convinced me - time to own my quirkiness! :p

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
Impressions are outside of my control (you know how it be with inferior Si). I'm SO BAD at it. I'm not just using the function stacking to reason away a personality flaw. Not only does my mind play with impressions like a dyslexic kid's would play with three 10 digit long phone numbers, but it really doesn't facilitate suppressing my impulsivity to immediately get out of the grid and experiment. I have made extensive lists of things I could wear, in front of what people, under what lighting, what complimenting scents to include, what body language to apply taking into consideration the social dynamics and overall environment. Got lost in the freaking details, dude.
I know I can ultimately get the science down, but it'll take me a bit.
Help.
I've always strongly respected you guys for being so grounded when it comes to so many rules I've always disregarded.

I am sorry for not inmediately answering this, man. I first thought the spoiler was something you had included by mistake.

First, don't undermine your confidence through functions theory. I'll piss peoole off by saying this on an MBTI forum, but there is little evidence for cognitive functions.

Overtheorizing is something I can relate to. My suggestion is to focus on the basics, and then practise them til they become intuitive. From there you can expand, if you wish. Start with some basic color combinations you like, and ask what others like. Check out logos and art for inspiration. Some combos will work in a painting, but not with your complexion - you will learn which eventually :)

Make the decision when choosing clothes for context simple. Keep some formal clothes, and some casual. Expand on these categories later, if you rwally want, but I doubt you'd ever need more than 3!

ANAXEL

Local time
-->
I am sorry for not inmediately answering this, man. I first thought the spoiler was something you had included by mistake.

First, don't undermine your confidence through functions theory. I'll piss peoole off by saying this on an MBTI forum, but there is little evidence for cognitive functions.

Overtheorizing is something I can relate to. My suggestion is to focus on the basics, and then practise them til they become intuitive. From there you can expand, if you wish. Start with some basic color combinations you like, and ask what others like. Check out logos and art for inspiration. Some combos will work in a painting, but not with your complexion - you will learn which eventually :)

Make the decision when choosing clothes for context simple. Keep some formal clothes, and some casual. Expand on these categories later, if you rwally want, but I doubt you'd ever need more than 3!

I very much appreciated both replies. I only had my phone available (still do) and wasn’t able to settle down to write one back ‘til now. I’ll take the counsel to heart too. Winter is coming! New clothes! Perhaps I’ll get a little more experimental.

I agree with you. I don’t see functions as tangible compartments in our head. They are more a language to label something I have already identified in myself. Inferior Si explains what I go through on a daily basis pretty darn well regarding my perceptual experience, but different interpretations which could grant more insight are never unwelcome!

PS: In my experience with parties I’ve learned: the less alcohol, the better. The smaller the amount of people, the better. Stay away from party halls. Weddings are yucky and funerals have THE BEST after-parties of all time!

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
I very much appreciated both replies. I only had my phone available (still do) and wasn’t able to settle down to write one back ‘til now.
Take your time! I was just embaressed to discover I had only answered half your post, the one pertaining to me.

I agree with you. I don’t see functions as tangible compartments in our head. They are more a language to label something I have already identified in myself.
Yeah, funny you should put it like that. This is a bit of a tangent, but... I don't know much about the functions, but I was thinking about learning Chaos Magic (Cognisent made a thread about it) not because I believe in the supernatural, or even think the Freudian psychology it involves reflects tangible compartments in our heads, as you put it, but because it seems a practical way to organize your mind.

PS: In my experience with parties I’ve learned: the less alcohol, the better. The smaller the amount of people, the better. Stay away from party halls. Weddings are yucky and funerals have THE BEST after-parties of all time!
You're talking to a viking... The more alcohol the better! On the rest, I agree :p I'll have to check out some funerals...

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 8:43 AM
-->
How much emphasis do you put (or, how much emphasis do you put into your lack of emphasis) in the way you dress yourself?

I only started to care after I discovered this ESFJ YouTuber called AlphaM. Before that I may have gone outside with my pants on backwards a few times and didn't notice.... till it got embarrassing.

Do you prefer certain colors in general?

Not really. I did find it logical to keep the wardrobe simple and subdued tho, so color nuance I keep as close to as found in nature: natural browns, grey, black, white, natural blues, green - kaki.

Does it even matter?

Form over function? Function over form?

I like comfy clothes that fit me well, also prefer to keep it simple stupid, so its usually my brown real leather jacket or black trench coat with blue or black slim fit jeans, white, grey or blue button-up slim fit collar shirt or slim fit T-shirt with or without hoodie or sweater in the same subdued colour range. Boots usually brown or black leather or during the summer white or brown classic sneakers. For formal occasions, I have a charcoal black suit that is tailored to fit me, gold ring, white shirt, wristwatch & black leather oxfords. If I absolutely must I'll wear a tie (red or blue, black for funerals)

I absolutely avoid being a walking advertisement, so I buy NOTHING with logos or text or print or memes on them. Just simple clean clothes.

Apart from health reasons, why I exercise is so my slim-fit clothes look good on me.

Socks and Shoes

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Minimal, always minimal, but high quality designers that mean something to me. I like wearing black, and I like to show my individualism subtlety with creative touches and bright pops. Orange shoes are my signature. I also love using scent as a part of my presentation. So much more dimensional adding that twist

I am put together

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
-->
I used to dress trendy, often went for "vintage" and charity shops as clothes were cheap but different from a typical clothing retailer. I now have a lot of funky clothes which I wear on specific events, but on a standard day it's jeans top and coat. I walked into a lecture hall of 300 with an Ushanka, the person I'm talking to thought it was embarassing haha

I look punk often with DM boots, a parka jeans and a standard shirt.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
Lmao.. A fellow INTP friend of mine has an Ushanka. I'm too embaressed to tell him I'm embaressed by it. In Norway, it is sometimes called a bear cunt.

Local time
-->
Female INTP here, who has never given a damn about what I wear. Tend to live in old jeans and a T-shirt (some are my brother's cast offs) and in the winter, jeans and mainly male jumpers as I'm tall and when I sit down, stupid female jumpers are not long enough and ride up. Basically I'm a bit scruffy and androgenous in dress. However, on special occasions, I transform into an absolute stunner, to the point that people who know me cannot believe the transformation. It's an INTP thing. You have all this mentally stored information about really great classy looks, and can wheel it out and live it out when you absolutely have to.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Lmao.. A fellow INTP friend of mine has an Ushanka. I'm too embaressed to tell him I'm embaressed by it. In Norway, it is sometimes called a bear cunt.
I have one too lol. On the rare occasion I've worn it in public I definitely felt like a fool. It's comfortable as hell though

Rebis

Local time
-->
I have one too lol. On the rare occasion I've worn it in public I definitely felt like a fool. It's comfortable as hell though

Look like a fool but it's like a sensory-deprivation tank in the form of a hat, blocks your peripheral vision and makes you feel nice and cosy. At least that's what I felt walking into a class of 300, no anxiety from ascending the lecture hall's steps.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I guess for me it's choosing what I find less horrible when buying clothes. I rarely feel clothes available to me is something that is in my taste in high degree. I do think if I were gonna wear only things I loved I'd probably be dressed pretty weird/ crazy most of the time.

For now I just wear shit I think is ok looking. A lot of my clothes are used stuff I think is ok. I like skirts, dresses, blouses, t shirts, sweatpants, hoodies. I actually think hoodies and skirts look kinda good together

soupymess

kick trees
Local time
-->
Simple stuff with character and I like unusual but not obnoxious colors. Pseudo hiker regalia sometimes. This blank darkish heather lavender t-shirt I have charges me up. The right hoodie under a jacket when it's cold also makes me feel good. When something fits right it is hugely satisfying. Do not like red clothing at all, ever.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
dressing is a game to con people and fake your social status, wealth.
sometimes its necessary, sometimes i just dont give a damn.
bill gates wear a sweater most of the time.

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
-->

Look like a fool but it's like a sensory-deprivation tank in the form of a hat, blocks your peripheral vision and makes you feel nice and cosy. At least that's what I felt walking into a class of 300, no anxiety from ascending the lecture hall's steps.
I too own an ushanka and love it. Is there a pattern here?
it's like a sensory-deprivation tank in the form of a hat,
Agreed.
My dressing style is neutral colors, no logos, leather boots. I love leather shoes.

Deleted member 1424

I also have an Ushanka. Ear flaps are lovely and warm. I love it. However, it rarely makes public appearances, because people keep telling me it's adorable. I have this problem with a lot of hats.

Gnurp

Screw 42
Local time
Today 2:43 AM
-->
These days I buy whatvers cheap... I only ever wear shorts and a t-shirt unless work makes me. Then it's just nicer shorts and a polo.

Here's me as a teen (circa 1993), I had dreads!

Attachments

• dreads.jpg
    dreads.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 749

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 8:43 AM
-->
I also have an Ushanka. Ear flaps are lovely and warm. I love it. However, it rarely makes public appearances, because people keep telling me it's adorable. I have this problem with a lot of hats.

:D Bjørnefitte, google it. XDDD literally means bear cunt.
Ushankas are gr8, I can pretend to be russian and call ppl "comrad" or "tovarashe"

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
-->

:D Bjørnefitte, google it. XDDD literally means bear cunt.
Ushankas are gr8, I can pretend to be russian and call ppl "comrad" or "tovarashe"
dont forget to call pretty women mushka.

Rebis

Local time
-->
These days I buy whatvers cheap... I only ever wear shorts and a t-shirt unless work makes me. Then it's just nicer shorts and a polo.

Here's me as a teen (circa 1993), I had dreads!

Looked exactly like that, minus the ripped trousers a few years ago.

Top Bottom