• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What keeps you up at night?

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today 8:04 AM
-->
I can't figure it out for myself.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 6:04 AM
-->
I have irregular sleeping patterns, I'm up all night by default. But in any case, I pace my house in the dark because of anxiety. I think of old memories and new ideas. Nothing specific I worry about to keep me up. Just random thoughts.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:04 PM
-->
various problems pertaining to models and algorithms at work. Last few months have been pretty bad – little sleep, bad diet, lost my workout regime. I have even sometimes resorted to alcohol just to stop the fucking brain from spinning at max speed constantly.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 11:04 PM
-->
pretty much everything

also my cat

i frequently sit in bed listening to music and just keep skipping to more music. i have some success sleeping if i turn off all the lights and put some rain sounds on, then close my eyes even though i have no intention of sleeping.

funnily enough turning off all stimulus helps you sleep

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today 8:04 AM
-->
I have irregular sleeping patterns, I'm up all night by default. But in any case, I pace my house in the dark because of anxiety. I think of old memories and new ideas. Nothing specific I worry about to keep me up. Just random thoughts.

Same! Does this bother you, or are you comfortable with it?

Is it closer to solitude, loneliness, or being alone? (I believe these three terms are different)

various problems pertaining to models and algorithms at work. Last few months have been pretty bad – little sleep, bad diet, lost my workout regime. I have even sometimes resorted to alcohol just to stop the fucking brain from spinning at max speed constantly.

Ah, same mostly. I've come to accept that I'm not going to be a routine sleeper. It is odd - I feel like I am tackling problems that no one else is tackling, and thus I somehow justify that it is fine for my brain to be on. When it comes to productivity, diminishing returns are still returns, in my opinion.

The worst part of my diet, I think now is that I have a sweetener dependence. I had cut out artificial sweeteners for a solid month, however I've returned to the habit because I'm not sure how else I can get gratification without sabotaging my body with refined sugar or over-processed simple carbs.

I have no workout regime, though I throw back some black coffee and that generally gives me enough energy to go for a walk.

I have wanted to resort to alcohol for weeks. It is tough. It was, overall, making me feel sluggish, so I just think back to all the times I've been hungover or unable to think s clearly and that kind of keeps me able to stay grounded in the fact that I don't need it.

Well I work at night lol.

Same. What do you do when you must work but feel sleepy, yet have too many thoughts to actually sleep? How do you push through that?

pretty much everything

also my cat

i frequently sit in bed listening to music and just keep skipping to more music. i have some success sleeping if i turn off all the lights and put some rain sounds on, then close my eyes even though i have no intention of sleeping.

funnily enough turning off all stimulus helps you sleep

Lol "pretty much everything". I feel you there.

If your cat was no longer present, would you be more inclined to go to sleep rather than stay up?

I do this with music as well. There is something about music that has become so necessary in my life that I question whether it is an addiction or not. But I feel it helps me much more than it takes away from me.

This is kind of an odd thought I had just now, but assuming I can pass away peacefully in a hospital ~60 years from now, what song would I like to pass away to, and what would those last lyrics be, if any... Have you ever thought of something like that?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 6:04 AM
-->
Same! Does this bother you, or are you comfortable with it?

Is it closer to solitude, loneliness, or being alone? (I believe these three terms are different)

It depends on how bad the anxiety is but otherwise, I like being alone.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Same. What do you do when you must work but feel sleepy, yet have too many thoughts to actually sleep? How do you push through that?

I just adjust by not sleeping then crashing and sleeping. For example I can finish at 6am and go home. I do stuff then I figure its 12 am and I am not sleeping so I stay up go to work and come home at 6 am again. I stay up till say 9 am and then sleep until say 7pm then go to work etc.

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 2:04 PM
-->
Well I work at night lol.

That sucks man. Nightshifts fuck up your circadian rhythm, fuck with your ability to produce adequate levels of hormones / your nervous and endocrine system get shafted hard. My mother used to work the night shift / sleep during the day, se can't sleep without pills now and is a nervous sleep deprived wreck even after retiiring.
I hope they pay you well.

Ever since I did my research trying to help my mother manage the consequences of the above I set up my own sleep to be from 9 PM to 5:30 AM. I don't want to deal with the long term effects of staying up late and getting little to no sleep (which I used to do in school and throughout uni). :disdain: fuck anything trying to get between me and my sleep.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
unsolved problems of the day, and worries.

Top Bottom