• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What mood do you have to be in to talk to people?

Mr.Burke

Local time
Today 8:45 AM
-->
After an extended period of isolation, what tends to be your average emotional drive which leads you to talk to people?

Some people are lonely after isolation and check up on others. Some are excited because they want to share some interesting fact.

What is the most common for you? For me it is rancor. I'm often only in the mood to talk if I specifically want to argue.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 9:45 AM
-->
What do you mean with isolation? Turning off the electricity, and lock the door?

There just moved in a Swedish fellow in the apartment over me, much to my irritation, as it's been so quiet for so long now(I even asked the owner if I could buy the house so to avoid this, but didn't accept my offer). But I've found him slightly interesting. Not talked to him, but been keeping attention. I suspect he is slightly mad. He goes around singing, and it appears he is talking to himself, loudly. And then he plays instruments, but just for 5minutts, then it's quiet a long time. It's a bit spooky. I may prefer the last residents, foreigners, they used to be 5 at a time, in the little room, and only active at night. They are in jail now, the whole group, drug trafficking. That was the opposite of isolation.

For me, if I feel like I should mingle, I stroll around in the library, or perhaps a trip to the closest pub. Or go shops and ask stupid questions. Or write some nonsense on the forums. In this age of electricity, it's imo difficult to become isolated.

Mr.Burke

Local time
-->
Isolation as in not talking to a single human for an extended period of time. Extended period of time meaning an estimate of 6 to 12 hours.

A22

occasional poster
Local time
-->
6 to 12h is a small period of time

Realizing that what led me toward isolation was product of my imagination or just silly is what leads me toward re-socialization - which doesn't last long.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
Today 1:45 AM
-->
I'm often only in the mood to talk if I specifically want to argue.

This, generally.

However, the only time I'm really active about being around others is when I don't want to be wherever I happen to be/be going. This is mostly when I'm at home or whatever and my parents are being annoying and whatnot so I'll see if any of my friends are available. I don't actually want to be around people most of the time but they serve as an adequate excuse for going somewhere and are much better company than my parents.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Isolation as in not talking to a single human for an extended period of time. Extended period of time meaning an estimate of 6 to 12 hours.
I am still not sure what it is you mean with isolation. Talking, as in non communication of any means, even visual? I haven't tried. If you mean physical talking, there can go weeks. There could probably go months, and it would be a non issue, that is, if I am at ease, and don't have pressing issues, then it may change. Talking is just a part of communication imo. A rather small part, and not important if one is in a relaxed state of mind.

Mr.Burke

Local time
-->
I am still not sure what it is you mean with isolation. Talking, as in non communication of any means, even visual? I haven't tried. If you mean physical talking, there can go weeks. There could probably go months, and it would be a non issue, that is, if I am at ease, and don't have pressing issues, then it may change. Talking is just a part of communication imo. A rather small part, and not important if one is in a relaxed state of mind.

No form of communication with any human. Physical, on the internet, with finger painting, whatever you can pull out of your ass, etc.

This thread isn't even about isolation, it's simply about what mood you are in whenever you specifically feel the need to talk to people.

I hope that clarifies it.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Mr.Burke; I knew that, the title says so. I was just indulging you. As you only wanted to talk to people to argue.

For me it's often curiosity. The arguing part isn't a main component, although it can be fun.

Dapper Dan

Did zat sting?
Local time
Today 3:45 AM
-->
It's the other way around, usually. I'm totally willing to talk to people unless I'm in a particularly somber mood. That's not to say the conversation will last very long, of course.

buzzdml

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I find that when I am in isolation for an extended period of time, which can be anywhere from 6 hours to a couple days, I get a lot of pent up energy and thoughts that needs to be released. So I'll listen to music, jump around, go on a run, whatever. This leads to a lot of good, active energy that makes me want to open myself to the world, or people. So it's kind of a chain reaction of isolation>restlessness>activity>inspiration>people for me.

thelithiumcat

Local time
-->
I end up in isolation for weeks at a time now. Yes I go to school and I have family at home but I'm mentally isolated from them for most of the time (for example we're having a New Year's eve party right now but I have taken myself off to a different room entirely and probably won't interact with them beyond anything they instigate). The only time I come out of that is when I see one of my two friends whom I actually meet up with outside of school. I see them because I want to break up my solitude a bit. I do like meeting up them but I often have to see them (and have a good time with them which is usually but not always) to remind me why. Occasionally I think about cutting everyone out and this isn't helped when I have a negative experience with one of those friends but I'm not stupid enough to actually do it. I know I'll regret it and I'll want to see them at some point; and that even I can't survive without seeing anyone.

Zionoxis

Local time
Today 4:45 AM
-->
Wanting to argue, caring to share a fact, a friend of mine I know really well, stuff like that. I usually am willing to talk to those I know, I generally have a mood to NOT talk to people. If I don't know them, it takes a special occasion or if they just seem to 'click' with me.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
After an extended period of isolation, what tends to be your average emotional drive which leads you to talk to people?
Nothing. Initially absolutely nothing. I'm not going to tell them I was just in an extended period of isolation. I wait for them to say something and try to pick up on it. If I can relate to it, I will want to say something and then the struggle becomes to express it.

Check that. If I feel okay and am happy to be relieved of loneliness and know the person I can initiate something I know ahead of time interests them. If I don't know the person I am forced to keep silent and I'm unhappy until they initiate something. If I can't relate to what they say, that's hell.

An alternative would be (against my grain) to initiate something. If I say, "the weather has been great, hasn't it?", how I get along will depend on the response. Not the best opening I admit.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
-->
When I start feeling dazed and locked up and stuck in a loop. Like I'm slowly falling into the abyss of dissociated madness. That's when I have the need to talk to people again. It's energizing, up until a certain point. Then people will start draining energy again.

I just balance between solitude and being amongst people all the time.

Stoic Beverage

has a wide pancake of knowledge
Local time
-->
I don't really have a mood that makes me want to talk to people. Since I still attend school, I'm usually surrounded by way more people than I could possibly want to be. The summer is the only period of isolation I have, and my only complaint is that I'm not isolated long enough.

Local time
-->
I have no mood in which I enjoy talking to people. In fact, I've no idea why I am even on this forum. :D

Awaken

Gone for good
Local time
-->
Scroll up two posts and look to the left.

Awaken

Gone for good
Local time
-->
lmao

Fghw

Local time
-->
I have to have a bunch of ideas that i can list off in conversation.

wonkavision

Banned
Local time
-->
When I talk to people, it's usually due to one or more of the following :

1. I absolutely have no choice but to talk to them (i.e. at work).

2. I've learned something new and interesting and I want to share (and hopefully dialogue about) it with them.

3. I'm really curious about something or don't understand something, and I want to ask someone for their input/opinion/expertise/advice, etc.

4. Certain outgoing and/or interesting people are around, and their energy is contagious.

5. I'm just in one of those wacky moods that come on without warning sometimes.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
Today 2:45 AM
-->
I like talking to people.

:eek:

phantom

Eschewing Obfuscation
Local time
-->
I sometimes talk as a nervous tic when I'm really anxious about something, which is not very often. Or if I've had too much alcohol or caffeine.

I want to talk when I can discuss/debate a stimulating idea with a person who has equally stimulating ideas.

Otherwise I rarely want to talk to people in person (texting/emailing is better, as long as it's not continuous chatter). I have to interact with a lot of people at classes and work, so I isolate myself as much as possible when I'm at home. I never talk in classes unless I am required to (say to lead a discussion) or if the professor addresses me. I usually say hi to people I'm passing by only if they say hi to me first. I'm not much for small talk, although I have a couple friends who like to talk to me, and I just listen. I do like listening to other peoples' conversations, you can learn a lot that way.

That's about it. I frequently hit my too-much-people-interaction limit, but I've yet to hit the other end of my tolerance and find myself needing more time talking with people. The problem I do have is if I don't have enough intellectual stimulation, or if I have too many ideas stewing in my head and no outlet for them. The internet is helpful for this if there aren't people around who can argue with me.

RaBind

sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
Local time
-->
I usually like to talk to people when I have something to say to them. Now days (actually i used to do this before as well but now more than before) I have an annoying tendency to think about what I want to say, before I say it, and how people might respond. Because of this I come to conclusions on my own before discussing the matter with anyone or I usually realize that I was just going to comment on something obvious.

I find it tiresome to initiate in a conversation for small talk, however I won't refuse to talk to people if they approach me. I will just feel awkward when talking and trying to think, of things to talk about, which I am not interested in. I usually just keep silent until I have something I find worthy of being mentioned.

Double_V

Local time
-->
In public (wai... is that a mood?).

And I am never lonely in isolation.

Top Bottom