• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What should a INTP do?

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 6:02 AM
-->
Well muslims have to visit Mecca once in a life time, so what should a INTP do at least once in life time. I leave this question open? Hopefully the elders of INTPforum will respond and enlighten us young INTPs. I leave it up to imagination for those who are younger.

Silvermoon

Local time
Today 2:02 AM
-->
Completely change a view you've held for your entire life because it was proven logically inconsistent. Believe it or not, it is almost impossible for some types to do that.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Completely change a view you've held for your entire life because it was proven logically inconsistent. Believe it or not, it is almost impossible for some types to do that.

Yeah it is hard sometimes. Especially when that view was your favourite thing all your life!

and yes to heroin! Will do. I hope by the time I make enough money to buy some it will be legal!!!

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 7:02 AM
-->
One space trip. Moon , Mars or similar. At the least visit Mount Everest, if muslims have to go to Mecca.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
Today 9:02 AM
-->
do?ain't the all point is to strive to not do therefore paradoxically doing more than average person?
What can be meaningfully compared to other 9999999(or any number of divides) moments?
It goes against INTP way of thinking,must doing something.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
do?ain't the all point is to strive to not do therefore paradoxically doing more than average person?
What can be meaningfully compared to other 9999999(or any number of divides) moments?
It goes against INTP way of thinking,must doing something.
Doing something once could be survivable?

I take it from your argument that what a INTP should do once is cryopreservation? As avoiding work being done is sort of difficult to accomplish, short of suicide.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 12:02 AM
-->
This is the first interesting question this site has seen since the AA thread (not trying to play up that thread but it did produce a lot of interesting questions).

Silvermoon has an equally interesting answer. I think for INTP's there's a great likelihood to have to face up to beliefs and ideas you picked up in childhood that you later find incompatible*. Very difficult to root out. Possible for an INTP, impossible for S dominants and Feelers I believe.

I'm not sure however there is one pat thing that we all should do, other than to eventually try everything that you ever wanted. This has been the answer for me at least, and I didn't a-priori think this. I just naturally have been getting to and finishing up everything that I've tried and either dropped (for another thing) or wanted to do and didn't get to. With a caveat; you find out what are the things you really wanted to do, but don't carte blanche do it all.**

TL;DR
* Religion for example. I went through this, a specific example is the idea that there is a plan (obviously from god) for each one of us. I think my mother instilled that in each of us kids. Seems innocent enough, but it backfired in my mind and set up a causal loop for the first decades of my life. Put me on a path of searching for my path ... which is how I ended up pretty much trying everything (music, physics, writing, art, ...). Finally had to solve the problem as "not what is my path but what do I like to do?", i.e. computing.

** I'm not (for example) doing a deep water year long sailing voyage. That was an idea of mine, we had a 20 footer and I got full training and experience in sailing with the idea of growing up, buying a 30 footer and sailing around the world. Well now I've got the resources and could do it but have little interest in putting my precious person at the mercy of an inhospitable ocean. Plus no internet access.

A small example of something I did do is finish a stereo - the goal being a music reproduction system which truly can reproduce a classical orchestra. You have no idea how difficult this is ... years ago I tried, eventually designing and building my own speakers, turntable, amp, pre, etc ... finally gave up. On revisiting I tried an entirely different approach (electrostatic headphones) which pulled it off.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
One space trip. Moon , Mars or similar. At the least visit Mount Everest, if muslims have to go to Mecca.

I've given up the idea of building my climbing expertise high enough to attempt to climb such a mountain, but with enough money, it's still feasible to travel there, do the basic hiking, and see it for myself. I should probably go see the Alps as well.

example. I went through this, a specific example is the idea that there is a plan (obviously from god) for each one of us. I think my mother instilled that in each of us kids. Seems innocent enough, but it backfired in my mind and set up a causal loop for the first decades of my life. Put me on a path of searching for my path ... which is how I ended up pretty much trying everything (music, physics, writing, art, ...). Finally had to solve the problem as "not what is my path but what do I like to do?", i.e. computing.

Groan. Far too familiar an anecdote... with the "one best path" synergizing badly with the "one ordained path" notion. Also that ingrained notion that everything was 100% explicable if I just thought hard enough to find the right argument (including "god").

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 3:02 PM
-->
Probably take an actual MBTI test administered by an actual practitioner and be amazed that INTP wasn't your type.

Number two: live on an island for 2 years, someone in Oceania or near Baja California. No internet, no work, no urban life or current affairs ramble. Excommunicating oneself from civilization.

Late2theParty

Local time
-->
I'm not sure however there is one pat thing that we all should do, other than to eventually try everything that you ever wanted. This has been the answer for me at least, and I didn't a-priori think this. I just naturally have been getting to and finishing up everything that I've tried and either dropped (for another thing) or wanted to do and didn't get to. With a caveat; you find out what are the things you really wanted to do, but don't carte blanche do it all.**

AKA ...we should thoroughly "Run through the maze" :D

Late2theParty

Local time
-->
I would say... at least once we should pull off the stereotypical... "Showing up out of nowhere with a left field solution that saves the day". I've only done it a few times, but it's extremely satisfying. Seems like what we are built for.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
-->
Doing something once could be survivable?

I take it from your argument that what a INTP should do once is cryopreservation? As avoiding work being done is sort of difficult to accomplish, short of suicide.
not doing anything is for me is a miss translation from my internal brain language to common people language,for them to understand.
What it means is to do whatever I want,probable surfing the web(learning),playing games or creating something.In other words "waste my time",while not "wasting my time" in my language is considered a waste of time,therefore should be done in the smallest amount of time.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 12:02 AM
-->
Groan. Far too familiar an anecdote...

That was rude, obviously I was speaking to the newbies who haven't heard the story. But OK, I'll shutup.

with the "one best path" synergizing badly with the "one ordained path" notion. Also that ingrained notion that everything was 100% explicable if I just thought hard enough to find the right argument (including "god").
Having a bad day JW? I was just speaking favorably of you to DW yesterday too, boo.

Oh well, never mind. Forums become like old marriages; you just end up bickering over pointless nothings.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
I think that you have misunderstood Jenny.

Anyway, mine are: Communicate with non-human entities, and kill a cunt :smoker:

J-man

Cobra Kai
Local time
Today 1:02 AM
-->
An hero.

You knew that answer was coming so I'm just getting it over with.

DarkChoclate88

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Find INTENT. INTPs greatest gift is creativity. It flows naturally through us, but accomplishment of any set goal is our greatest nemesis. So if a INTP can find INTENT, then that would be equivalent of finding the "holy grail."

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 5:02 PM
-->

MEDICaustik

Local time
-->
Probably take an actual MBTI test administered by an actual practitioner and be amazed that INTP wasn't your type.

Number two: live on an island for 2 years, someone in Oceania or near Baja California. No internet, no work, no urban life or current affairs ramble. Excommunicating oneself from civilization.

Or spend 2 years, 2 months and 2 days at Walden Pond.

Come to think of it, was Thoreau an INTP? Sure seems like he might have been.

Intolerable

Banned
Local time
-->
I did travel Europe in my 20s. I found myself looking for internet capable machines even then =/.

I like the answer that you should bite down sometimes and do something even if you don't want to do it anymore. Just to say you've done something. It does make a big difference in how you go through your days.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
1. Sensory deprivation chamber
2. A real cave, alone, and turn out the flashlight.
3. Find someone with one of those 1950s underground bomb shelters and arrange to spend a week in it without radio, internet, anything except maybe books and music.

IE, overdose on solitude to compensate for this century's culture of sensory overload.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
3. Find someone with one of those 1950s underground bomb shelters and arrange to spend a week in it without radio, internet, anything except maybe books and music.

IE, overdose on solitude to compensate for this century's culture of sensory overload.

Good answer.

Terran

Local time
-->

I have done that with:

-Political opinion of the 'absolute' nature (mostly marxist views which I held) but now realise politics and society is actually a lot more of a complex than I thought, and that politics is hugely dependent on context. (e.g: Communism not working unless the country has a lot of resources, good people, and zero corruption.((as well as the fact that not everyone wants to be part of a solid community, and a lot of people want their individualist liberty!)))

-My believe in a God. Although I am open to the possibility of a creator, Occam's razor means having a BELIEVE in a God is illogical.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:02 PM
-->

i agree with this.

YOLOisonlyprinciple

Local time
Today 11:32 AM
-->
I have done that with:

-Political opinion of the 'absolute' nature (mostly marxist views which I held) but now realise politics and society is actually a lot more of a complex than I thought, and that politics is hugely dependent on context. (e.g: Communism not working unless the country has a lot of resources, good people, and zero corruption.((as well as the fact that not everyone wants to be part of a solid community, and a lot of people want their individualist liberty!)))

-My believe in a God. Although I am open to the possibility of a creator, Occam's razor means having a BELIEVE in a God is illogical.

Occams razor only says that the simplest answer is the most "likely" one. It doesnt say that the simplest answer IS the CORRECT one.
As long as there is no certainty (as with everything in life) one can choose to believe anything one wants, and it cannot be "illogical"..

Its upto you to make a belief choice which best suits your character, your needs and your emotions

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
To answer the OP: find a music piece/artist/album that you really like.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->

Pretty sure as schizoid I did lot of this. No I was not in sensory deprivation chamber, but I was sick once and all did was lay in bed for two weeks and nothing else. The only company I had was my mother that brought me some bread and water and I only entertained my self creating imaginary stories and worlds. I used to spend days without company too doing nothing just entertaining my self with toys and shit.
Sometimes I just sit and stare at the wall for few hours. I was born in pre internet age so I know whats it like without a screen. ALthough I did watch TV I also spend some days just wondering in the woods kicking trees practicing my taekwondo climbing trees and hanging on branches.

rlnb

Local time
Today 2:02 PM
-->
I am not very old but I have suffered enough from some of my INTP idiosyncrasies to pass along some wisdom:

People don't care about what you think is the 'right' thing to do.

Since INTPs tend be low on Fe and empathy, we get our morals from what makes logical sense. We tend to have a set of high level principles that we live by (these are refined with time).
But most types don't care two hoots about you principles nor do they have a consistent set of values of their own. The Fe/Fi folks use their empathy to decide right and wrong in the moment and the Se doms use success to measure what is right.
This apparent 'illogical/unprincipled' behaviour from other can lead us to cynicism and apathy or worse go dark.
So my 2 cents would be don't be too hard on yourself and others. Do have principles and live by them but don't expect the world to be the same.
One useful strategy is to not wear your principles on you sleeves. Add a bit of unpredictability to your behaviour. Have some fun.

rlnb

Local time
Today 2:02 PM
-->
And I just realised this isn't precisely what the question was about. :)

Local time
-->
Attain world peace and solve our climate crisis. Thanks a billion in advance!

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Attain world peace and solve our climate crisis. Thanks a billion in advance!

World peace is overrated and climate crisis exists only on internetz. Although I am pretty sure we should be planting more trees.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
What I want to see is the coming generation, i.e. kids in the 7-11 age bracket, being educated in the issues of climate change. That's how we make real change – we need to weaponize these stupid-ass kids and have them marching for this cause.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
What I want to see is the coming generation, i.e. kids in the 7-11 age bracket, being educated in the issues of climate change. That's how we make real change – we need to weaponize these stupid-ass kids and have them marching for this cause.

The interesting thing about climate change is how it gets advertised in publice sphere on internet and media overall. They arent doing a bad job of spreading the idea of doom and gloom, but of all sources you rarely come cross one that would actually inform with facts or educate.
It sort of reminds of antivaxers who probably know more about vaccines than provaxers simply, because antivaxers are look at the evidence hard just to support their claims while most provax people are just fine believing that few shots prevent the plauge.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Obviously the primary purpose of climate change is its role as a political weapon. Lots of political careers have been built on rhetoric about the environment, climate change and other goofy stuff that the masses suddenly find important in their lives.

Montalbanov

Dreamer
Local time
-->
I think an INTP must go to psychotherapy at least once in life. A good psychotherapist will help you to accept yourself as INTP, to embrace your strengths and personality to the fullest. As INTP is quite rare personality, I do consider very easy to feel weird, not accepted by society and then feel depressed. A good expert support can lead to success.

Top Bottom