• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Who programs, or wants to get into programming?

Do program/want to program?

• Total voters

Saiyan Pride
Local time
Today 3:37 AM
-->
I don't know much about programming other than that it's more math than anything else. A technical college in my area offers courses for a pretty reasonable tuition fee. I'm probably going to take some classes eventually, unless anyone can explain why community college is a bad idea, or why 53 hours isn't enough to learn programming.

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Panzergrenadier
Local time
-->
I don't know much about programming other than that it's more math than anything else. A technical college in my area offers courses for a pretty reasonable tuition fee. I'm probably going to take some classes eventually, unless anyone can explain why community college is a bad idea, or why 53 hours isn't enough to learn programming.
Depends on your personality but programming is one of those things you definitely don't need formal education for. Exmployees certainly do not care about degrees as much as they do about experience. What this means is that it would be better to self teach as you go with ideas of things you want to create, and to work on these projects in public (referred to as open source) and that code will basically be your resume. Which is what employers want to see, actual technical ability.

mrrhq

Dedicated Debian Dude
Local time
Yesterday 7:37 PM
-->
Depends on your personality but programming is one of those things you definitely don't need formal education for. Employees certainly do not care about degrees as much as they do about experience. What this means is that it would be better to self teach as you go with ideas of things you want to create, and to work on these projects in public (referred to as open source) and that code will basically be your resume. Which is what employers want to see, actual technical ability.
I would love to try out an idea though, just walk in to some asshole who wants to interview me and be like, "Hey, there, guys, I have no money, no job, no degree, but I really, really wanna work here, and I have all the experience I need. Check out my experience points."

And then they'll be all randomly non-serious and say, "Okay! You got it!" *thumbsup*

Unfortunately, once people learn about free software (and I don't mean freeware), you will never, ever think about programming the same way again. You will question the ethical value of proprietary vs free software. But if you just don't care, and the companies won't care, just go be a code monkey for a random butt-wad from morning-til-midnight and glance over, and over, and over at the same 400 lines of code again until you can figure out what exactly you want or need to do next.

It sounds like a code hell instead of a code dream. And it probably is.

Go over to computer engineering while you still can, folks!
It'll stimulate your brain more.

pernoctator

a bearded robocop
Local time
Yesterday 11:37 PM
-->
I would love to try out an idea though, just walk in to some asshole who wants to interview me and be like, "Hey, there, guys, I have no money, no job, no degree, but I really, really wanna work here, and I have all the experience I need. Check out my experience points."

And then they'll be all randomly non-serious and say, "Okay! You got it!" *thumbsup*

Unfortunately, once people learn about free software (and I don't mean freeware), you will never, ever think about programming the same way again. You will question the ethical value of proprietary vs free software. But if you just don't care, and the companies won't care, just go be a code monkey for a random butt-wad from morning-til-midnight and glance over, and over, and over at the same 400 lines of code again until you can figure out what exactly you want or need to do next.

Frankly you sound like a student trying to justify his major, rather than someone who has any real experience of what he's talking about.

Why would computer engineering stimulate the mind more? It's a more general field, of which programming is a part, so I assume you mean the hardware aspects of it. I've always seen hardware design as essentially programming with the added dependence on the physical world hindering free expression of purely theoretical models (which software provides you). Why would this be preferable to the INTP?

I don't see how your philosophy about software licensing would greatly affect your thoughts on programming itself. Professional programmers get paid to program; this has nothing to do with whether the resulting product is proprietary or whether the code is open. A large amount, if not most, programming work is in contracts, not creating continuously updated monolithic proprietary products for ongoing sale to end users à la Microsoft.

And how are your ethical beliefs related to with the quality of the work environment? Do you suppose a development firm dedicated to free software wouldn't be capable of working code monkeys from morning 'til midnight on a terribly written chunk of 400 lines?

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 9:37 AM
-->

Ew. Computer Science 4lyfe.

Meer

Jermbl
Local time
Yesterday 10:37 PM
-->
I am trying to make an Android app. I have almost started. I downloaded the things and IDE that Google recommended. I know how the app should work, in general, but the devil is in the details, as they (assholes) say.

If you care, it will be a buffer audio recorder. So it will have a buffer of 5 minutes or something of data from the microphone, and then you can save it. This way, I can have records of things to show to a mental health person.

KISS
Local time
-->
Coding is fun, how the hell you can live without it?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 8:37 PM
-->

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
Today 2:37 AM
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
I am interested in programming because windows is made of suck, so if i move to linux i might as well learn to program/code whatever so i don't need to shop for a distro.

marie

Local time
Today 10:37 AM
-->
I would love to learn programming (I love to learn) it looks challenging and fun. If it's possible it would be amazing if I ever created a good app . But I don't have the time right now. Since I'm currently a senior college student :/ I need to focus on my major right now. And it sucks because I don't even like my major to begin with.

_whispers_

Vidi Vici Veni
Local time
Today 4:37 AM
-->
I really enjoy writing code and tinkering with it. I was going to apply for an IT program in university, but I was pressured not to. Now I'm taking the long road around.

INTPWolf

Contemplating reality, one script at a time
Local time
-->
I learned basic programing in java through introduction with lsl on opensim and secondlife. But i want to expand more into java now

Frankie

Local time
-->
I'm a newbie to programming. Pursuing a minor in CS. I'm taking a python class this summer. Halfway through, I'm between 'lost' and 'okay'.

Inquisitor

Local time
Yesterday 10:37 PM
-->
Currently taking an intro to CS class in Java. Absolutely loving it. My teacher is extremely good (and I would know b/c I was one too...not a great one though). I'm probably going to become a software lifer. Architect, you're the man!

I'm making very rapid progress, and because I've gone through the INTP "maze" with an Fe-centric job (ESL teaching), I know what's going to make me happy, and I know that software engineering is probably going to be as good as it gets for me in terms of professional occupations. I can't imagine that there's anything out there at this time that is a better overall field for INTPs today given their competitive advantage in this area, labor demand, projected growth, variety of projects, breadth of industries, a steady supply of new challenges and things to learn, and of course, you won't be poor, although you might not ever be rich. That's ok by me though as long as I'm doing meaningful work.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I spent so much time in natural sciences (bio, chem, geology, related physics) that about five years ago, I figured it was time to get around to the technological sciences as a hobby while I earned my MS. Now, I can at least tinker with the web languages, and push the markups to their limits. I haven't enjoyed Ruby as much as I was lead to believe I would. I'm about to dive into Perl. Perl looks fun.

I've also been learning Unix system administration, and it feels a bit like programming.

Anyway, I enjoy the creative parts. I enjoy factoring to make my code pretty. I especially like starting a new project. I like troubleshooting while things are new and interesting, but if I get stuck after I've gotten bored with a project, it's game-over for me. I just scrap that bit (or the whole thing) and start over another way. Anything to breathe new life into it.

I couldn't survive the monotony or "teamwork" required to be a code monkey. I think I'd go insane.

Top Bottom