• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

why do iNTPs love mainstream music?

Amy Winehouse

Local time
Yesterday 10:07 PM
-->
Indy music sucks, the record companies know what we like better than we think we like. Thats why they are so rich!

Roran

The Original Nerdy Gangsta
Local time
Today 1:07 AM
-->

downsowf

Local time
-->
I love all types of music. I got in a fight with my friend who works in the music industry about the labeling and categorization of music. He put on a festival last year called governors ball music festival in New York. He asked my opinion about putting together lineups and he wants to get Indy acts. He's trying to get the S-----(don't want to start rumors and use name of band in case people know this festival and plan on going to it), and after arguing with him for an hour, I finally let him convince me that the S------were Indy. I had to agree, but was mostly making a principled argument based on my hate of labels. If the tune is good, I don' t care whether it's jazz, classical, rock, blues, jazz, or whatever. There I go using labels. But good music is good music.

Sema

Local time
Today 5:07 AM
-->
I like what I like. whether it is mainstream or independent so far the music is good.

mke2686

Local time
-->

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
Today 6:07 AM
-->
tumblr_l1wsx1R94S1qzmowao1_500.jpg

I've always hated most mainstream music. Your evidence is anecdotal and subjective!
Occasionally mainstream stuff is alright, but I just listen to whatever it is I like, and 95% of the time, this is indie stuff.

thelithiumcat

Local time
-->
What? I hate, no, I loathe mainstream music. A pretty major criterion for me liking a piece of music is that it is not mainstream. Mainstream to me is simple, manufactured stuff for the simple-minded masses and the purposes of extroverted activities, associated with meaningless things created for no purpose other than to waste the lives of those pathetic enough to watch or listen to them. I want complex music I can get involved in that doesn't use such horrible language. The music I listen to has meaning and significance. I can take it apart and analyse each layer. I'm not sure mainstream even deserves to be called music. It's a bunch of repeated styles and lyrics, all of which are terrible and so similar that if you've listened to one you really have heard them all. Mainstream is the absolute antithesis of what I like. It's rather insulting to me to call something I approve of mainstream. I don't tend to trust the judgement of large groups of people. Sorry, I just have strong feelings on this.

Sali

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I like pretty much all music. Even the stuff people consider "bad" or whatever.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:07 AM
-->
I like pretty much all music. Even the stuff people consider "bad" or whatever.

Can you help me to define "or whatever" as used above or whatever?

The OP has a point though, mainstream music is pretty magnificent. It has such a dizzying range, from tunes about sex and drugs to ones about the club. Lady Gaga, Busta Rhymes, Chris Brown: all the greats are here. The music is especially entertaining when one has drugs and sex at one's disposal - and if you really want to take the music places, visit a club! Baby I was born this way!

Dimensional, that graphic is mind-blowingly brilliant.

Don't mind me

Local time
Today 7:07 AM
-->
Some of the responses here befuddle me... I mean, the OP's cheek is basically gushing with blood after being forcefully penetrated by thon's tongue.

I had to agree, but was mostly making a principled argument based on my hate of labels. If the tune is good, I don' t care whether it's jazz, classical, rock, blues, jazz, or whatever. There I go using labels. But good music is good music.

Identifying the purpose of the music is essential if you wish to be accurate in your assessment of whether it can be called technically good or not on its own terms. If you don't wish to go critically in depth to rate it though, I agree that labeling might be superfluous (overlooking that it simplifies the process of finding new music, an application I personally have found to be quite flawed).

[...] all the greats are here.

Wouldn't one actually have to be mainstream in order to be considered one of the greats?

Sali

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Can you help me to define "or whatever" as used above or whatever?

Sure, the "whatever" refers to the notion that the person making the claim about music being "bad" has a self-riotous air about their opinions on music in general. I would say that many of these people like to look like they enjoy more sophisticated music. Than they actually do enjoy what they tote as the be all and end all. The concept of "Mainstream" is pretty funny anyway if you think about it, Radiohead is certainly just as mainstream as Lady Gaga though that's not what the some would have you believe.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Sure, the "whatever" refers to the notion that the person making the claim about music being "bad" has a self-riotous air about their opinions on music in general. I would say that many of these people like to look like they enjoy more sophisticated music. Than they actually do enjoy what they tote as the be all and end all. The concept of "Mainstream" is pretty funny anyway if you think about it, Radiohead is certainly just as mainstream as Lady Gaga though that's not what the some would have you believe.

Your last sentence makes a lot of sense. Both of those acts sell out arenas and are probably known by an equal amount of listeners...when folks say "mainstream" they probably mean a band or artist that receives copious radio play. Record sales have become a moot point.

I had to bust your chops over that whatever comment though, it just sounded too flippant and adolescent and over it. No hard feelings, haha.

Sali

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I had to bust your chops over that whatever comment though, it just sounded too flippant and adolescent and over it. No hard feelings, haha.

No worries, I was being pretty flippant at the time I posted, tehe.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Dapper Dan

Did zat sting?
Local time
-->
The fact that the OP went to the trouble of lowercase-ing the I in INTP tickles me.

No, I don't have anything else to contribute.

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
I suspect the OP is using lowercase i to indicate moderate introversion - which is likely how s/he percieves hirself (between INTP & ENTP). Also, s/he is making the assumption that just because s/he loves mainstream music, other INTPs do too.

This is wrong in various premises.
Firstly :: the OP's type is uncomfirmed.

Secondly :: even if the OP was INTP, that's not to say all INTPs share hir music taste.

Thirdly :: using lowercase letters to indicate weak preference is incorrect format.

Fourthly :: it is incredibly common for Ne dominants to believe themselves to be introverts - and generally if you're having a debate about that dichotomy you're almost certainly extroverted.

Fifthly :: I personally suspect the OP is an extrovert. =x

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
False choice or premise or assumption or something?

Mainstream music is music produced by for-profit companies that handle talent discovery, talent development, music writing, music production, distribution, marketing, and copyright.

Independent music is produced by musicians without benefit of the above. They may very well have their own organization to do the same thing, but it is theirs.

There is no reason mainstream music can't be good, and no reason independent music has to be. All you can say is that mainstream music is produced with a close eye on what people seem to like. Independent music generally is also, but by people 1. unwilling to hand over most of the economic yield from their artistry to corporate suits and/or 2. unwilling to allow the corporate model to make artistic decisions about their music.

Stephen Colbert recently had, if I remember correctly, Radiohead on his show. I believe they broke away from their affiliation with a major label (or an imprint of a major label, a categorization and marketing of music of the same genre or style within a major label.) They reported making less money overall, but keeping a much higher percentage of the money that did come in, and were apparently happy. I didn't find their music particularly noteworthy, others' mileage may vary. It might be fun to compare their music while they were with a label compared to what they are doing now, and see if there's any difference.

In brief, the labels "mainstream" and "indie" seem to me primarily to bear on who gets the money, not on the quality of the music or what genre it might be.

Nor am I persuaded there is any connection between the low numbers of INTP personalities in the general population, the appeal of mainstream music to the greatest numbers of people possible, and any "not for INTPs" quality therefore intrinsic to mainstream music. As noted, those folks have split themselves up into divisions to market to every niche out there. "Thinking" music, lyric wise, certainly includes Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians' "What I am", and that came under Geffen Records label back in the 80s; The Kinks (I'm dating myself) "Lola," has intriguingly ambiguous lyrics that always appealed to me, and they always produced under labels, not independently. However, since much of the appeal of music is emotional, I suspect we are as open or closed to most music as we are to emotions, depending on where we are and how much we trust them.

Just thinking out loud.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I like a ton of music that happens to be mainstream. Sometimes I like mainstream forms of music for "pop-iness" and accessibility.

I prefer music that is made without the influences of a major label, million-dollar record contracts and wide-scale popularity & accessibility.

Sali

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Most all music you have heard that isn't local is "main stream".

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 11:07 PM
-->
I never liked mainstream music - never. I've been a classical music snob my entire life.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Panopticon

mehmber
Local time
-->
I have never liked pop music, but occasionally good music becomes mainstream. I cant lie though, I enjoy a good pop song when I hear one.

I hate ALL these pop artists. But what happens when you replace their crap music with metal/hard rock instead? It's almost like polishing a turd.
^If mainstream pop actually sounded like that I would consider listening to it.

A22

occasional poster
Local time
-->
For every music style there is, I think I like at least one song. The only music style I don't like, maybe because I only heard 2 or 3 songs, is - brace yourselves - dubstep.

Affinity

Local time
Yesterday 11:07 PM
-->
I despise mainstream music with a fiery passion. It is 98.7% shit.

thelithiumcat

Local time
-->
False choice or premise or assumption or something?

Mainstream music is music produced by for-profit companies that handle talent discovery, talent development, music writing, music production, distribution, marketing, and copyright.

Independent music is produced by musicians without benefit of the above. They may very well have their own organization to do the same thing, but it is theirs.

There is no reason mainstream music can't be good, and no reason independent music has to be. All you can say is that mainstream music is produced with a close eye on what people seem to like. Independent music generally is also, but by people 1. unwilling to hand over most of the economic yield from their artistry to corporate suits and/or 2. unwilling to allow the corporate model to make artistic decisions about their music.

Stephen Colbert recently had, if I remember correctly, Radiohead on his show. I believe they broke away from their affiliation with a major label (or an imprint of a major label, a categorization and marketing of music of the same genre or style within a major label.) They reported making less money overall, but keeping a much higher percentage of the money that did come in, and were apparently happy. I didn't find their music particularly noteworthy, others' mileage may vary. It might be fun to compare their music while they were with a label compared to what they are doing now, and see if there's any difference.

In brief, the labels "mainstream" and "indie" seem to me primarily to bear on who gets the money, not on the quality of the music or what genre it might be.

Nor am I persuaded there is any connection between the low numbers of INTP personalities in the general population, the appeal of mainstream music to the greatest numbers of people possible, and any "not for INTPs" quality therefore intrinsic to mainstream music. As noted, those folks have split themselves up into divisions to market to every niche out there. "Thinking" music, lyric wise, certainly includes Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians' "What I am", and that came under Geffen Records label back in the 80s; The Kinks (I'm dating myself) "Lola," has intriguingly ambiguous lyrics that always appealed to me, and they always produced under labels, not independently. However, since much of the appeal of music is emotional, I suspect we are as open or closed to most music as we are to emotions, depending on where we are and how much we trust them.

Just thinking out loud.

Well I reckon it depends on how aware the artist or group is when they get signed. A lot of them sign the rights to their music away because they don't know enough about music law not to. I know Motley Crue got their masters back from Electra (whom them called 'Neglectra' because they would tour Motley Crue endlessly just for the money) on the condition they never told anyone how they did it but I think they insulted the boss or something.

Anyway, I thought of this because you reminded me of reading how Guns N' Roses got signed. They knew exactly what they wanted. They were the most popular band of the time with many of the top labels going after them. They got a $75,000 advance (which I understand to have been pretty big; at least for those times). Most importantly though, they turned down anyone who tried to change them or take their rights to their music. I think they were signed by Tom Zutaut because he thought they were really important to get so he tried to get whatever they asked for. Anyway, my point is that being on a big label doesn't mean they necessarily have control over the music. However, I have the feeling that any music which is got to by the labels is ruined because either they take away what made it special or they make the music from a pre-constructed formula based on what they think will sell well now and not in the long run, and get the artist to play or sing it, usually with correctional editing afterwards. Half the people in the charts don't sing the way they sound on the record. I hate that. Labels are all about the quick sell nowadays.

Sanctum

Local time
-->
Because we are so objective we get caught in the aesthetics of music, how it sound overall and don't pay attention to details such as lyrical content. A lot of mainstream is designed to fit into these senses and are made to just sound good. I for the most part don't listen to mainstream i avoid the radio and Tv i try to find music that causes me to think

ObliviousGenius

Life is a side scroller, keep moving.
Local time
-->
I like mainstream music. *Flinches. But I like classical music more. I agree with Auburn about the OP. I was a little confused when I saw the thread title because a lot of the people on this forum don't like mainstream music.

Katie

I'm new.
Local time
-->
Mainstream
The dominant Trend in opinion
"mainstream" music is a very large criteria to be defining in that manner as to all who said it to be designed specificly for the sole purpose of industry..
Music becomes mainstream by appealing to the highest number of listeners, or in some cases (Rebecca black) hahaha... anyways.. Don't fight the system because WE ARE the system and by we I mean humanity.

But hmmm, personally my music taste has no limits when it comes to popularity. Although I've noticed my taste steers towards underground shoe gaze/dreampop/electronic with hints of glitch, trip-hop, disco, and rarely but sweetly, jazz (example: Harry Connic Jr.) with some occasional hardstyle techno, dubstep, hip-hop, rap, and some smoothed out post-hardcore from my past. Overall my current sound could be best described as bedroom chillout with trippy soundscapes and high-pitch male vocals but overall orbiting trippy smoothe electronica.
Think: Baths, Painted Palms, Post Foetus, Echo Shade, Active Child

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:07 PM
-->
Who actually cares about music?

I like music, I listen to certian kinds of music I like, I don't really care what other people like or don't like and if I don't like something I keep that to myself unless I'm being forced to listen to it.

What's the big deal?

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The examples you gave of "caring about music" isn't really that, but the sharing of likes and dislikes; favorite bands/artists/tunes etc. I don't like that myself. It's more gossip than anything else.

Guess

Local time
Today 6:07 AM
-->
I certainly do not love mainstream music from today. But I would not say I totally dislike it either.

The big problem of mainstream today is a lack of diversity. When I think of 80s and 90s, there were enough of diverse genres that had enough attention/market.
When the illegal download started, the answer of the recording companies was to invest on "the tried and proved", i.e., the dominant music style. It became hard for new groups of diverse style to be accepted by recording companies.

A little example of what I am trying to tell: before being famous Lady gaga wanted to record an rock album. Then she was convinced to go pop and she became what she became.
Also recently, Rihanna wanted to record a rock album. Her recording company did not allow her.

Recording companies killed genres.

the_s_rabbit

Local time
-->
I listen to prog-rock and metal mostly, but tons of other stuff as well, in almost every genre. Most of it would never make it mainstream radio. Thus, I don't listen to FM radio. But sometimes, someone from mainstream pop will come along and surprise me. If a Katy Perry song is on the radio, I won't change the station. I don't know what it is. I just like her. I sorta liked Kelly Clarkson for awhile. I liked that one song from The Killers, don't know the name. My wife listens to top 40/Ryan Seacrest all the time, so I only hear mainstream music when I'm in the car with her.

Devin Townsend can write mainstream capable music, so that's about as close as I usually get.

MsAnthropy_Indefatigably

The Black One
Local time
-->
Oh, no, I've always stretched out past my peers' interests in music. I went to a majority-black school where it was required that you listen to hip hop, reggae and R&B 24/7.lol. Even the white friends I did manage to accumulate there were doing the same. I was "weird" because I liked Fiona Apple and Daft Punk, etc... Let me be weird then...
I know most of what I listen to isn't considered "indie" as much as "lesser known"... at least where I live, they are. But even worse, if you're a black girl listening to music that's not of your own cultural background, it means you wish to be white or something... :confused:
I hated High School... well not hated, but it wasn't as good as I could have allowed it to be for me.

C.J_Finn

Local time
-->
I just listen to what I like. There's a lot of stuff I like that is/was mainstream, but I also listen to a lot of stuff that isn't.

serh

M-x butterfly
Local time
Today 10:07 AM
-->
Just like many posts above said, I don't really care whether the music is mainstream or not, if I find it good, I listen to it. However, most of the music I listen to is indie, so I'd call the title of the topic incorrect.

masterpeez

One who Frequently changes avatars
Local time
-->
I used to have a problem with mainstream music in highschool, but I realized that if I had the opportunity to sign a million dollar contract in exchange for rights to my own music, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on that, and therefore can't judge others for doing so. I like music that sounds good to me. But I also enjoy the feeling of having that new exclusive cd that nobody has heard of. As if my taste in music is more advanced and evolved. After being called a hipster all the time I stopped.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:07 PM
-->
As long as it is good, I'll listen to it. Crappy music, whether from indie or mainstream, is still crappy music.

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Indy music sucks, the record companies know what we like better than we think we like. Thats why they are so rich!

Uh.. I don't "love mainstream music" I don't hate it either. I don't dislike music just because it's "mainstream" that's a very ignorant thing to do.
But most of the music I listen to, is not very "mainstream"

What a stupid question, really. Maybe you were being sarcastic, I don't know.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:37 PM
-->
I am confused by OP. If anything I would bet on a correlation of INTP and non-mainstream music, but even that would be a complete guess. At the very least I would argue INTP's are less likely to enjoy mainstream music simply because it is popular.

Most music is uninspired rubbish IMO. Some fields in which there is more creativity include metal and classical, as there is more scope for manipulation of musical elements, but I'd go so far as to say that even these areas are mostly stagnant.

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I am confused by OP. If anything I would bet on a correlation of INTP and non-mainstream music, but even that would be a complete guess. At the very least I would argue INTP's are less likely to enjoy mainstream music simply because it is popular.

Most music is uninspired rubbish IMO. Some fields in which there is more creativity include metal and classical, as there is more scope for manipulation of musical elements, but I'd go so far as to say that even these areas are mostly stagnant.

I don't find metal to be very creative it's just a battle to see who can tap fastest. "Dude, this guy plays so fast" - "You don't know what you're talking about, his technique is fucking amazing. Do you have any idea how fast he plays?!" <_<

I do like classical though. But I can't say I know much modern classical.

Urraco

poo-tee-weet?
Local time
-->
It's like candy v.s. fruit for me, with mainstream music
being candy. I don't delude myself into thinking that candy has any substance health-wise. It's
made to be agreeable to a large amount of people with little effort but it's easy to access anywhere and makes the taste buds happy.

Fruit is less directly pleasing, you need to maintain some kind of variety to really appreciate what it has to offer. There is some midline stuff that's like canned fruit in heavy syrup, but I'm talking plucked from a tree fruit. Not the best weapon against a shameless sweet tooth, but wholesome
and satisfying in the long run, and too much of it doesn't feel nearly so bad.

Balance is good here, as in most things it seems.

DetachedRetina

(∞__∞)
Local time
-->
Has nobody mentioned this? Because it's there. We are supposed to be lazy right?

I don't think many INTPs judge music on anything but its subjective quality to them. (Meaning as opposed to society's value of said music.) Many people seem influenced by how obscure or sophisticated or popular etc. the music is. It seems the consensus here that we really don't care, as long as it's good.

Being, inevitably, exposed to tons of "mainstream" music we are sure to hear something we like. Though we eventually will probably be exposed to other music we like too.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
Hmmm...First define mainstream, then provide evidence to support

a) the generalized assumption that 'INTP'S like it...'

b) the implied opinion that it should be a sin to enjoy it.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:07 PM
-->
I hate mainstream music, unless it sounds good, and thats rare

travelnjones

Local time
-->
Lately i have been enjoying keyboard driven hard rock like loverboy and saga. Even some Yes like going for the one. I gotta have a keyboard in there somewhere., better still if it is a Keytar. Does it count if the mainstream music is no longer mainstream, just old?

I just love that early 80's keyboard sound. I am not talking fairlight but rather a more dx7 style sound. But it needs some driving guitars too.

I know i should be ashamed but Sammy Hagar's Your love is driving me crazy, Saga's wind him up. Turn me loose by loverboy! They just made me happy.

This happens from time to time i will fall in love with a sound. The Goblin bands' bass player has a sound on Black Forest that is so freaking awesome I go nuts when i hear it.

Top Bottom