• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why do people like zodiac signs?

BluNorm

Redshirt
Local time
Today 6:19 AM
-->
In my first period at school we had a art project were we had to create something that reflected are self. We were also suggested to take the Myers-Briggs test. Most people did (I already did a year before) take it. But they only talk about their zodiac signs. My entp friend say'd they probably don't want to blame them self for their bad decisions and would rather blame fate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm Virgo the Virtuous.. Which is about the only virtuous thing about me, so I'm clinging to it for dear life!

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:19 PM
-->
Well the new zodiac sign Ophiuchus is kinda badass...

I mean he's strangling a giant snake for all eternity.

[bimgx=300]http://themindunleashed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/heavenss.jpg[/bimgx]

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 11:19 PM
-->
I'm Virgo the Virtuous.. Which is about the only virtuous thing about me, so I'm clinging to it for dear life!

Wouldn't that make you sidereal leo? Aug 17-Sept 17.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 1:19 AM
-->
In my first period at school we had a art project were we had to create something that reflected are self. We were also suggested to take the Myers-Briggs test. Most people did (I already did a year before) take it. But they only talk about their zodiac signs. My entp friend say'd they probably don't want to blame them self for their bad decisions and would rather blame fate.

They are going with the zodiac thing because they are stupid teenagers.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
-->
Several purposes:

First, it serves as an ideal to fulfill, which isn't just a scapegoat for bad decisions, but is also something like a positive role model.

Second, it serves as a means of interaction, peer-discovery, and group formation via symbolic indicators of the above produced by synchronicity. Look at this forum, for example.

E404

Obsessions of an INTP
Local time
Today 12:19 AM
-->
People like belonging, having an identity, a reason to explain why they are the way they are, and to be understood.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:19 PM
-->
Ego-validation.

BluNorm

Redshirt
Local time
-->
They took the mbti test I'm just wondering why they like zodiac more, even though it a load of bull.

E404

Obsessions of an INTP
Local time
-->
Maybe it's because the zodiac will "tell you your future"... MBTI doesn't do that.

Also, zodiac is simpler. There's usually a paragraph or a few words attached. MBTI requires more reading.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
No idea... what does that mean ? Lol

Leo's okay I suppose.
Leo

I are de lion, seen?

Maybe it's because the zodiac will "tell you your future"... MBTI doesn't do that.

Also, zodiac is simpler. There's usually a paragraph or a few words attached. MBTI requires more reading.
I say it's this too but in another way. Everyone knows what zodiac implies -- elusive spiritual cosmological metaphysics which they can find easy to obsess about, but MBTI is basically throwing the alphabet at you for some odd reason which is the least interesting thing in highschool.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Just dawned on me what you meant :kodama1:

Lol.

I fucking love Lions, but my last ex was real big on lions and being a Leo, which put me off them for a long while.

But I fuckin love lions, so fucking forget exes. :D

Starfishtea

Memer
Local time
Today 7:19 AM
-->
I don't think I'm in a position to ever properly understand as I am born a capricorn but have never felt like the description fit me at all. I might have one or two typical capricorn traits, but when you randomly toss out 20 traits, you're bound to hit the hoop with at least a couple.
The thing that bothers me the most is when people openly dislike everyone born in a certain sign because they rely heavily enough on astrology to feel like they know what that person is going to be like before ever having had the chance to talk to them. I guess some people like feeling like they know what they have in store, but it really rubs me the wrong way.
And of course, we shouldn't forget that astrology is the new hot meme.

Intolerable

Banned
Local time
Today 2:19 AM
-->
Zodiac, much like MBTI is a mankind self portrait. Essentially trying to label the infinitely complicated human identity.

I think it's sometimes accurate and others not so much. However it seems when it's really off then something got missed, details were not provided and so a person got a bad read on it. I prefer that people first look at their sun AND moon sign combination before settling on it being wrong. Sun sign alone tells you nothing. It can either be right on the money or completely wrong. The combination with moon seems to matter. Mind, I went as far as to understand mine and why it was somewhat inaccurate. Then I read up on it more and discovered moon influence.

As for my own I am sun in Virgo and Scorpio in moon. Read up on that description sometime and tell me if it isn't accurate.

And even then who knows? If the premise is that celestial alignments affect who we are then it wouldn't just be the Sun and the Moon but many other celestial bodies.

Starfishtea

Memer
Local time
Today 7:19 AM
-->
Zodiac, much like MBTI is a mankind self portrait. Essentially trying to label the infinitely complicated human identity.

I think it's sometimes accurate and others not so much. However it seems when it's really off then something got missed, details were not provided and so a person got a bad read on it. I prefer that people first look at their sun AND moon sign combination before settling on it being wrong. Sun sign alone tells you nothing. It can either be right on the money or completely wrong. The combination with moon seems to matter. Mind, I went as far as to understand mine and why it was somewhat inaccurate. Then I read up on it more and discovered moon influence.

As for my own I am sun in Virgo and Scorpio in moon. Read up on that description sometime and tell me if it isn't accurate.

And even then who knows? If the premise is that celestial alignments affect who we are then it wouldn't just be the Sun and the Moon but many other celestial bodies.

I have actually looked into this and attempted to study it further because a friend of mine who I consider highly intelligent and rational is really into it. My sun is capricorn, moon in pisces, ascendant in libra and midheaven in leo. I have taken the time to read all the descriptions of those and I feel just as alienated. Like I mentioned earlier, I might be able to relate to one or two traits, but everything else is wrong. Particularly for the last two, I wasn't able to relate to a single thing. To me astrology seems purely coincidental, though I like the idea of people being born at certain times a year in certain climates having different personalities than others born at different times. But to me that always seemed to be a result of differencies in brain development when subjected to different climates as infants. Astrology way predates this type of science and I don't think it holds any validity.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 8:19 PM
-->
It has enough signs and planetary placements and vagueness and such that, with the right interpretation, a chart can provide insight or reinforce what people want to hear about themselves.

or simply as RB says...ego-validation...lol.

Intolerable

Banned
Local time
-->
I have actually looked into this and attempted to study it further because a friend of mine who I consider highly intelligent and rational is really into it. My sun is capricorn, moon in pisces, ascendant in libra and midheaven in leo. I have taken the time to read all the descriptions of those and I feel just as alienated. Like I mentioned earlier, I might be able to relate to one or two traits, but everything else is wrong. Particularly for the last two, I wasn't able to relate to a single thing. To me astrology seems purely coincidental, though I like the idea of people being born at certain times a year in certain climates having different personalities than others born at different times. But to me that always seemed to be a result of differencies in brain development when subjected to different climates as infants. Astrology way predates this type of science and I don't think it holds any validity.

They don't have to follow science to be true. Intuition usually precedes science anyway and accounts for rough science / theory in historical terms. If zodiac isn't bullshit then I would attribute it to pure intuition. Something generated over thousands of years of intimate human observation.

Unlike some I think it foolish to assume that celestial manipulation has no influence over us. If / when this is proven it will become common sense territory.

What's the likelihood that your birth hour is wrong on paper? Have you gone through all possibilities for Capricorn? Just to see maybe if another combination makes more sense?

BluNorm

Redshirt
Local time
-->
They don't have to follow science to be true. Intuition usually precedes science anyway and accounts for rough science / theory in historical terms. If zodiac isn't bullshit then I would attribute it to pure intuition. Something generated over thousands of years of intimate human observation.

Unlike some I think it foolish to assume that celestial manipulation has no influence over us. If / when this is proven it will become common sense territory.

What's the likelihood that your birth hour is wrong on paper? Have you gone through all possibilities for Capricorn? Just to see maybe if another combination makes more sense?

I'm not going to completely rule out planets having an effect on us but I am going to say that zodiac is a bunch of bull. I don't like it either when people want me to explain my intuition, but when your making bank with you're "intuition" you have to explain it, other wise your likely a con.

Intolerable

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm not going to completely rule out planets having an effect on us but I am going to say that zodiac is a bunch of bull. I don't like it either when people want me to explain my intuition, but when your making bank with you're "intuition" you have to explain it, other wise your likely a con.

Yeah it's somewhat similar to how I define the sun vs God. In that I don't need man's abstract explanation of God to appreciate the sun for what it does. I'm practical in my recognition of God.

And that goes for all celestial bodies. If they are worthy of awe, of wonder and mystery then they meet the requirements for being sacred (God).

EggCustard

Local time
-->
I don't give a parp about zodiac signs, but I do like the Chinese calendar only because I'm a tiger.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 5:19 PM
-->
Which is about the only virtuous thing about me!

Nonsense, Sinny!

--

People like zodiac signs for much the same reason as they like MBTI types. A main difference is the method of determining one's type in each system, where MBTI must be figured out more intently, and astrological type may simply be looked up from a chart. Certainly each has their validity. In my view, the number 12 is preferable to the number 16.

[sag/cap cusp] (I identify more strongly with Sagittarius)

I term Sagittarius the Philosopher-Adventurer. It is a mutable fire sign. As a mutable sign, Sagittarius seeks out understanding and experience, and as a fire sign has a tendency to direct itself to what it sees as noble pursuits.

0neKiwi

Unstable
Local time
-->
---
Based from what I've seen ||:(is that the right repeat sign?), zodiacs are easy to recognize, widley known for "accuracy" on the human personality and events that occur. Even the Greeks liked their future predicted- Oracle
---
----
For me, its more that the symbols and animal/inanimate objects/twins are more appealing than normal human beings. So, in (essence? Is that the correct use of the word?), the visual appearance of the zodiacs could also be a factor in their attraction to that area...(astrology)
----

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Ultimately it might be something like what RB said. First astrology was in. I had scientific, critical thinking pounded into my head in college and community college. Rational thinking was in, hence more MBTI, but now, people want more astrology.

I was always the kind of person to see if things were BS or not. They always told us astrology was fake and pseudo science. People think if you do MBTI it means astrology is too hard for you (they don’t teach it in school; etc) and vice versa. Carl Sagan said astrology was BS although he wouldn’t have praised personality theory either.

There isn’t much to it. I use both, and sometimes ironically. A tropical year is just the 365.2 days from one vernal equinox to the next and a sidereal year is one Earth cycle around the sun, since it accounts for precession, it’s different from a tropical year; one is technical and one is just to make timekeeping easier for us. Hence, that’s why there are a few different reasons for talks about a “new” or “different” calendar that we can use that isn’t necessarily Gregorian (things that could also be “outside the scope of this post).

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
People prefer to have some answers to no answers even if the answers have no basis to them. I see a lot of it in my profession, except you swap out astrology with statistics - with the latter often having as much validity as the former, only with vastly larger consequences when misused.

Local time
-->
Umm because it's true lol the Chinese have their zodiac too and my family is particularly fond of it, though I don't believe it, I think the western one is better (12 year intervals seem like a bit of a stretch.)

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
People prefer to have some answers to no answers even if the answers have no basis to them. I see a lot of it in my profession, except you swap out astrology with statistics - with the latter often having as much validity as the former, only with vastly larger consequences when misused.
So basically, “racism”?

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
because it is a very simple model explaining human personality and nature, until we develop better psychological models.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
So basically, “racism”?
not sure if I follow that one

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
The zodiac sign generally refers to just the sign (Aries, Taurus, etc) of the Sun's position in your natal chart. In astrology the interpretation of the Sun's position in your chart will be determined by the combination of the sign, what's called the "house" it's in, and the exact degree of its placement (sometimes called the "sabian symbol").

But more complicated than that, you also have the placement of all the other planets in your chart to consider, and how all of those relate to each other. You can understand aspects of your planetary placements in isolation but all the intricacies of it can't be fully grasped that way as all planetary placements are in relationship and that effects the interpretation of each of them.

The best metaphor I can think of to explain astrology is like a "chord" in music. Each of the signs, the planets, the houses, are all like notes which have a distinct tone in isolation. These notes combine together to make the unique "chord" of your planetary placement. As such "Aries - Sun" for me could sound a bit different to "Aries - Sun" for you even though they will share common notes. The unique "chord" of all your planetary positions's chords being played in unison makes up the unique sound of your natal chart and you as a person. In theory, according to astrology, you're a unique mirror and personification of the unique "sound" of the moment you were born.

This means there are so many variables in a natal chart that there are virtually endless combinations. Every natal chart is unique, just as every moment and every person is unique and never an exact clone. As a result, astrology as a system is too complex to understand with ease in a reductionistic way and is why interpretation is inclined towards accessing intuition and reading it holistically in terms of patterns.

It's because of this level of specificity -- and from what I've found for myself at least, accuracy -- that I take personal interest in it as a more intricate framework for modelling a person than others like personality types or MBTI I've been interested in before. To me, reading someone on the basis of their personality type is overly simplistic in a similar way to reading someone in terms of their zodiac (sun) sign (which is what horoscopes are based on). Seeing your type as a mirror of you is similar to seeing your horoscope as a mirror of you. It might have some accurate information but I'm unlikely to trust the overall picture as there's a lot both don't take into consideration that distorts the image. I'd imagine that people are attracted to either of these things for similar reasons.

I know people here are likely to be skeptical of everything in this post so it's more a way of explanation than persuasion because I happen to be bored at work. If you don't get much out of your natal chart on first glance, I'd suggest that reading a natal chart takes a fair amount of investigation and is to be done for fun because you find it fun. Also, like another person said, it's worth double-checking you have your accurate birth information as that can throw off a few important variables.

Peace xxx

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Psychologically its an excuse to think about oneself in some way or context. To sort of indulge in self observation. It maybe baseless and whatever, but its quite harmless as long as its not take to literal extremes.

I wouldnt exactly equate it with introspection, but it has that aspect to it for sure.

I mean the the process of self definition is kind of external based as well so some zodiac sign can be pretty impressive in sense it impresses some notion and motif. Something like guys who workout and hang a picture of Lou Ferrigno on the wall in hulk paint.

Now I am off to check my lottery ticket. You never know. HEHE.

Top Bottom