• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why do YOU hate INFPs?

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
Today 12:45 PM
-->
For all the INFJ love on INTPf there seems to be just as much hate for INFPs. What's going on here? Do all INTPs live in fear of ACTUALLY being an INFP? Inferior Fe neurosis?

What is it about The INFP type that makes it so unacceptable in the eyes of INTPs? Passive-aggressive or just blatantly anti-INFP posts are scattered throughout the board. So go on INTPforum -- tell is how you really feel. What is it (specifically) about INFPs that INTPs despise so much?

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:45 PM
-->
Is there really INFP hate here? I generally see a lot of people demeaning sensors, and to a little less extent feelers, but specifically INFPs?

:phear: I like INFPs (and their Fi counter part ISFP :D)

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
-->
I love INFP's! They are usually so nice. They listen to me and let me talk over them. Their Fi rearing it's ugly head and making them puddles of self hate. I'm not sure if that's why they hate them selves. The poor SOBs are really hard on them selves though.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 5:15 AM
-->
INFP's are useless... but we love them anyway right? :o

I've never noticed the trend you speak of. I'll keep an eye out.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 5:45 AM
-->
I don't hate any, 'type'. I don't even think of type when I interact with people.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:45 AM
-->
In a room full of INTPs, ENTPs and INTJs the INFPs are the mediators, they're the glue that keeps the community together, however in debates the INFPs are argely impotent, too busy being friendly to get down with the brow beating, so for the rest of us being called an INFP implies you don't have what it takes to hold your own in a debate.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Cog:
Seriously? NFPs can be pretty damn blunt and not give a flying fuck how you feel, in my experience. NTPs are more likely to be mediators because of Fe. Fi can write you off pretty easily.

Haven't noticed this trend at all, Rachel. Been here several years. I have been largely absent for the last couple though.

Also, there isn't so much INFJ love as an engineered INFJ obsession, from the folks-who-shall-not-be-named. 90% of the INFJ love is due to that. The other 10% is Architect. (Definitely not a made-up stat.)

~~~

Local time
Today 8:45 PM
-->
We're only joking. ENTJs though; now that's a totally different story.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Not sure what you're referring to, but I rather like INFP's. A lot, some of them.

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
Today 3:45 PM
-->
I love INFPs. On average, they are very kind, creative people. At their best they are holding people together and writing amazing stories. They can have annoying idiosyncrasies, but don't we all? When I was younger, individual types may have annoyed the hell out of me. This no longer seems to be the case.

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
Not sure what you're referring to, but I rather like INFP's. A lot, some of them.
I really like INFPs too (when they behave according to their type), however i just can't stand them when they are under the grip of their inferior function and switch into their negative twin shadow type; the (fake) ESTJ !

Maybe (SURELY) what we can't stand about ANY type is his / her shadow twin as it is so extreme and out of character. However, i have now realized that the point of feeling the negativity of others impacting directly on us is to make us understand, thru PROJECTIONS, what our own negativity do to others !
The negativity we hate about others is the negativity we repress in ourselves. When we learn to integrate our own negativity (and realize all the pain and suffering we unknowingly caused in the past), we then learn to put up with others'. That's been my experience anyway.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
*hugs** aww I love you guys too! Inb4 cherry says I'm not an infp and bronti says what cherry says. Or wait does cherry copy whatever bronti says.... I'm confused.:kodama1:

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 3:45 AM
-->
I like INFP's. They're like, powered by hugs.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Cog:
Seriously? NFPs can be pretty damn blunt and not give a flying fuck how you feel, in my experience. NTPs are more likely to be mediators because of Fe. Fi can write you off pretty easily.

Haven't noticed this trend at all, Rachel. Been here several years. I have been largely absent for the last couple though.

Also, there isn't so much INFJ love as an engineered INFJ obsession, from the folks-who-shall-not-be-named. 90% of the INFJ love is due to that. The other 10% is Architect. (Definitely not a made-up stat.)

Damn you Cheese! Stay out of my mouth you sentiment stealing bastard!

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 9:45 PM
-->
iz about what people think about infp, not about actual infp, cuz noboddy understandz typology and everyone mistypes everyone including themselvez. iz all random projections. there is collective allowance for projecting any shit from your shadow onto infp and esfj. everything that seems just wrong ist okay. if you want to project something on infj or intj, more rules apply as to what is appropriate. it's safest to only project Ti stuff on them, whatever Ti means in your worldview. probalby something about arrogance, power, paranoia or wanting attention.

Turniphead

Death is coming
Local time
Today 2:45 PM
-->
-bluntness (also a good thing)
-indecisiveness
-messyness
-sensitivity to criticism

Usually I'm pretty compatible with them.
I like them enough to have been in a relationship with one for the last 4 years.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm not sure if I know any INFPs right now. None that I have typed. I thought this type was almost exclusive to women, in a similar fashion to INTJ.

Fi-dominance is a mystery to me.

I thought my 'girlfriend' was INFP for a while but I now know she is ISFJ. Should have known all along.

I can't imagine I would hate them, however, I think I have a bit of an issue with ENFPs, and ESFPs .. so maybe I hate them?

They're probably similar to INFJs only that they're P's not J's so their whole attitude is different, yet they still prefer I, N and F.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I wubbies my INFP friends. I only get annoyed when we're arguing something and it's clear they have a value system that doesn't gel with my detachment. But if we're both Ne junkies, we just end up playing in the sandbox together instead.

We're only joking. ENTJs though; now that's a totally different story.

Lol. Srsly. :phear:

Actually, they're only bad when you don't stand up to them.

Damn you Cheese! Stay out of my mouth you sentiment stealing bastard!

That's what happens when you put Cheese in your mouth.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
He's climbin' in yo mouth, he's snatchin' yo sentiments up, tryin' to grat 'em. So y'all need to....

Ok so that didn't quite flow how I imagined.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Cog:
Observe Gopher, he's an INFP, he's a hugger and universally liked, classic INFP traits because INFPs are very sensitive to how others perceive them, whereas Proxy and I (a INTJ and XNTP respectively) care more about proving others wrong and ourselves right, we've both hugged Gopher but it's unlikely we'll ever hug each other because neither of us is the hug initiating type.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->
^question: is this how an INTP asks for a hug?

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
I feel no hatred toward INFPs. :( They love getting hugs, I love giving hugs, and their fine emotional discernment can make them excellent confidantes; their demeanor is slightly gelatinous but not a problem.

-Duxwing

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
HEY SO I"M GLEAINe,sdj geliant gallyo.... you know I really don't know what kind of an insult that even was.... ;)

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
Wow, surprised by the INFP appreciation-fest! I am not sure I know any INFPs, but I believe my youngest sister may be INFP or ISFP. She is very quiet and kind of externally cold and awkward though but opens up with people she likes and trusts (my mom, her best friend). I know many ENFPs but they are quite different from INFPs from what I know.

I keep going back and forth on the NT/NF thing myself, but its this anti-gushiness that is ery different from my NF friends that makes me side with NT. When I was a kid I absolutely hated being hugged and the concept of hugs in general (invading personal space = ew). Thawed out some but still not a fan. Aren't INFPs one of the "colder" feeler types?

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->
Aren't INFPs one of the "colder" feeler types?

Depends on your definition of cold.

And how you interpret things like ... inwardly directed psychic energy.
And how you interpret things like feeling.

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
-bluntness (also a good thing)
-indecisiveness
-messyness
-sensitivity to criticism
Arent these also INTP traits ?
Besides messyness, surely i can recognize myself in them too.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
When I was a kid I absolutely hated being hugged and the concept of hugs in general (invading personal space = ew).
Do you realize the wave of emotional and hugging responses this will evoke?!?!?

YOU WERE NOT HUGGED AS A CHILD AHHHHH.

(lol :))
Aren't INFPs one of the "colder" feeler types?
Pedantic aside, I imagine Fe > Fi in terms of "outer warmth" so, yes; seeing as the Fe is extraverting their feelings etc.

Edit: Sorry, Cog. I either just legitimately fucked up the quote button, or someone is messing with me O_o

Last edited:

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
so for the rest of us being called an INFP implies you don't have what it takes to hold your own in a debate.

Good answer. So it's not that INFP-ness is negative, just that you want them to step out of the way when it's business time. :D

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->
Or in some cases, step in the way.

tumblr_lu3nzvk8DQ1qb87bqo1_500.gif

Depends what you call business time.

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
Or in some cases, step in the way.

tumblr_lu3nzvk8DQ1qb87bqo1_500.gif

Depends what you call business time.

Hah.
That's another thing that I found interesting on this board and MBTI lore in general -- I've never seen INFPs described as "sexy" or "hot" or anything of the sort but INFJs seem to be thought of as mysterious, intelligent Bond Girl types. Whereas INFPs are more like clueless baby pandas who cry a lot or something. But stereotypes are usually rooted in reality and the (in)famous INFJ secretiveness, hyperintuition, and talent for manipulation (Ni dom = calculated) sounds way more sexy than the scattered or random Fi dom.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
@TimeAsylums, post #29, I didn't write that!!!
(got a sudden jolt of INTP OCDness)

Anyway r4ch3l I don't know what your sister is but if she's an INFP she's a very underdeveloped one, generally they're characterised by their combination of intuition and emotional intelligence, where INTPs are intellectual pathfinders who seek to know stuff that nobody else does, or rather precisely because no one else does, INFPs seem to be drawn to the most antisocial people precisely because they're antisocial, don't ask me why I haven't a clue. What I do know is that INTPforum wouldn't have the community and culture it does were it not for the INFPs, I mean compare this place to the clusterfuck of trolling and circle jerking that is INTPcentral, the difference is that we have INFPs here who because they are INFPs are very good at getting into NT heads and defusing them, apparently by being nice all the time.

In fact that's simplest way to put it, INFPs are nice all the time.
To the extent that it can be a little creepy.

Which is why nobody messes with them either, first of all the combination of intuition and emotional intelligence makes trolling them almost impossible, but also just as angry INTPs are known to "wield words like swords" an angry INFP can use their peerless emotional insight to devastating effect, it's exceedingly rare, almost unheard of, but if anyone can talk you into killing yourself it's an INFP.

Of course picking on a INFP will make you public enemy no.1 long before it gets that far.

Turniphead

Death is coming
Local time
Today 2:45 PM
-->
Arent these also INTP traits ?
Besides messyness, surely i can recognize myself in them too.

Im not very blunt(direct).
Indecisive yes.
Messy is probably more down to the individual.
Sensitive to criticism. Probably.

Even if they were/are shared traits it doesn't mean I wouldn't find them annoying.
I hate my indecisiveness.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
a hot INFP girl is completely different from any other hot girl, much harder to get over. the air of mystique... the sense of importance and dignity... they just dissolve any values and create their own ones, the dynamics of which you may occasionally delude yourself into thinking you're sophisticated enough to comprehend... they actually believe in themselves like NO ONE else can ever do. they can sit around admiring/flattering themselves and it'll be justified. they can turn a mundane object into the meaning of life without getting silly. they can reek of bad breath and you'll still toke deeper than when blazing.

cannot handle.

very dumb descrption, feel free to wish you didn't read it.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
i wish... yet not

You will.

And she will touch your unconscious Fi

and she'll bring it to light, make it ethereal, rip it apart, you will feel.

You think your measly inferior Fe can handle it?

NO.

But rly.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
You will.

And she will touch your unconscious Fi

and she'll bring it to light, make it feel ethereal, rip it apart, you will feel.

You think your measly inferior Fe can handle it?

NO.

But rly.

been there done that

i'd probably do it again given the chance

but i don't want to

..."you often second guess yourself" classic

Duxwing

Local time
-->
Hmm. New Girlfriend Inspection Checklist:

1.) Check for DSM-V diagnoses
2.) (new) Check for INFPdom.

-Duxwing

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Hmm. New Girlfriend Inspection Checklist:

1.) Check for DSM-V diagnoses
2.) (new) Check for INFPdom.
lol

After the first kiss, your checklist is all but forgotten. But sure, go ahead if you think this will work out.

Duxwing

Local time
-->
lol

After the first kiss, your checklist is all but forgotten. But sure, go ahead if you think this will work out.

Luckily, my present girlfriend is an INFJ. No Fi, no die!

-Duxwing

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Hmm. New Girlfriend Inspection Checklist

Girl talks to Dux "Hi! Want to be friends?"

Dux "First I must see if you can handle my GIC"

Girl, perplexed "what?"

Dux reaches into pocket to pull out GIC

Girl runs.

hahaha...lol :)

gic...said fast...akin to big black clock

but really,

you have an INFJ gf already? aren't you just 17? damn, where ma ENFJ

And yes, everyone should sample an Fi at least once, you can see it in INTJs sometimes even if only tert.

Duxwing

Local time
-->
Girl talks to Dux "Hi! Want to be friends?"

Dux "First I must see if you can handle my GIC"

Girl, perplexed "what?"

Dux reaches into pocket to pull out GIC

Girl runs.

hahaha...lol :)

gic...said fast...akin to big black clock

More like,

Dux: Hmm... (notices that girl is crazy) Uh-oh... (leaves)

but really,

you have an INFJ gf already? aren't you just 17? damn, where ma ENFJ

Mhm. :) Best girlfriend yet: she has enough N and T to keep my intellect satisfied, plenty of warm, cuddly, expressive Fe to understand me and help me grow, and is darn good looking, too.

And yes, everyone should sample an Fi at least once, you can see it in INTJs sometimes even if only tert.

What I've heard about Fi-doms from my INTP ex tells me that I would not like one.

-Duxwing

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
You can't really know what a type is unless you have been around them and then its a matter of converging on who else is like who. Not so that well approached we could draw what is shown to project but others like you depend in a system that can be seen with schemas of our own devices. Functions return from experience to the abstract coalesce.

INFP

Hinata_shippuden.jpg

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Stop complaining, Cavenny. I'm the one being sucked dry here.

-----

INFPs are not nice all the time. That's a ridiculous statement to make about any type.

Duxwing

Local time
-->
You can't really know what a type is unless you have been around them and then its a matter of converging on who else is like who. Not so that well approached we could draw what is shown to project but others like you depend in a system that can be seen with schemas of our own devices. Functions return from experience to the abstract coalesce.

INFP

Hinata_shippuden.jpg

Awww, it's Hinata. :) I remember her from my middle-school anime days: she was so sweet and shy. I hope that she grows up to be a stronger woman.

-Duxwing

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 7:45 AM
-->
Awww, it's Hinata. :) I remember her from my middle-school anime days: she was so sweet and shy. I hope that she grows up to be a stronger woman.

-Duxwing

Don't worry, she does...

Because Neji dies protecting her and Naruto

Top Bottom