• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Words...meh

RobdoR

Local time
Today 7:07 AM
-->
I hear a lot of INTP's are good at words. It makes sense I guess. I just don't like them. Any others feel that way? I can't wait for the day we have a more efficient system, like mental projection. Now that would be a lot easier.

Anyway, do you ever have trouble putting emotions into words? I know I do. Having an ENFJ wife is a challenge as her world is made of emotions. I usually know what I should say because it will make her feel better, but can't bring myself to say it because it's not perfectly accurate. For example, in trying to convey my love I might say something like, "I love you very much." Ok, not that bad, but pretty bland. What I really should have said was, "I love you completely!" But before it leaves my lips I'm already thinking to myself, "I can't say that. It's not entirely true. I'm too selfish for that to be true. And if it were, that would also mean there's no room for improvement, and our relationship is as good as it's going to get." Sometimes I just bite the bullet and say that sappy line, but I feel almost guilty after, like I'm lying or something. Thankfully, she's patient with me. After all, it's not easy for her to speak my language either.

Rob

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Yesterday 9:07 PM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
It's kind of weird. I have no problem putting my feelings in writing. I'm a very good communicator in my writing. I just can't verbalize my feelings spontaneously as is often required in a close relationship, be it a friendship or romantic relationship.

I also have a fear of sounding sappy. I can't stand sappy anything. Also can't stand pickup lines, most flirting tips and tricks. It makes me feel like I'm lying to myself and others.

However, the best thing I can do right now is to stretch myself past my limits and learn how to do what I need to do to live with everyone else and make my life more fulfilling.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
Today 12:07 AM
-->
Sappy = Bad.

But when you think about it, words aren't so inefficient. It depends upon how they're used. Latin, for example, is a brutally efficient language. You can say what you want to say in record time. Other languages, like French or Spanish, are flowery, but it takes many more words to say what you want to. They sacrifice efficiency for beauty. Blech. But if you think about it, isn't the written word much more efficient and powerful than that jumble of misperceptions that is the spoken word?

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 5:07 PM
-->
ooh, the written word is my temple. But ask me to verbalise and I can't put a sentence together.

Welcome Rob. Here's to understanding, communication and the vulcan mind-meld. Long may wise minds mingle in the twilight of thought!

Top Bottom