• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Year 2169

?

• Children

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Immortality

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
Today 12:26 AM
-->
It is the year 2169 and the cure for old age has finally been discovered. In order to prevent over population everyone is given a choice. You can live forever or you can birth a child.

So being young never having experienced what it is like to have your own children what do you decide?

1) there is no certainty that your children will continue the line and may choose to end the genetic line in favor of the cure for aging.
2) Although you do not age you can still die from injury and disease. Still, it will be unlikely that you will die from disease since medicine is so advanced now.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 1:26 AM
-->
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am going to immigrate to Mars where the laws are more progressive.
There will be little kittens everywhere.

Sly-fy

Local time
Today 5:26 PM
-->
Wow. I`m the only one who voted Children. I haven`t even read the thread but it took me two seconds to figure out the question, and it was a no brainer for me. I`m open to the possibility that I`m wrong, but that`s just how I feel. Call me a lousy INTP. lol

If you require reasoning for my answer, I guess I believe that children bring out the best in us, stimulating our paternal and maternal instincts. Without those instincts, people would be much colder and the world would be a very different place (perhaps something close to a logician`s utopia, but not my utopia tbh.) Also, as someone who`s experienced the joy of having a child born and caring for that child first hand, I think it`s a worthwhile, irreplaceable feeling without which life itself would be significantly less rich an experience and less worth living.

Another thing is that, we can never experience things with as much joy of discovery and enthusiasm and imagination when we become adults, as we were able to do when we were children, so constantly having new children around who can keep experiencing those joys in that way is a wonderful thing IMO (OK, you can ban me now for not being purely logical.)

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
Today 12:26 AM
-->
(OK, you can ban me now for not being purely logical.)

Neither answer relies on logic. The question is what you would do and therefore depends, at least in part, on your emotional decision making process.

I chose immortality because even now as a completely mortal person I have almost no interest in having a child and also immortality is something I've wanted ever since I was like 8.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 9:26 PM
-->
I don't care about continuing a genetic line. I'd rather genetically engineer. So I'll take immortality and engineer myself as I see fit.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 4:26 PM
-->
I could always adopt. Problem solved.

PaulMaster

Local time
Today 7:26 AM
-->
I'd pick immortality.

I'd also impregnate chicks. Who's gonna stop me? There would eventually come a time when, after thousands of years of being alive, I would completely stop giving a fuck. I'd break rules. I'd either take over the world or die trying.

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
Today 3:26 AM
-->
Immortality. While I respect the notion of having children, I would like to live as long as possible and learn everything I can until I die/choose to die.

Total immortality scares me though.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 3:26 PM
-->
I'll take a third option.

I chose immortality by giving reincarnated through your child kinda like the phoenix.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 6:26 PM
-->
Actually, given that there are really only 360 days in a year, not 365.2873562893465892345, this really is the year 2169.

Top Bottom