• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Yet another "guess my type" thread!

Ixoziel

Local time
Today 2:09 AM
-->
So I've been obsessed with psychology and personality profiling for a few years now, partly because it's just interesting to me, and partly because I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.

The I is easy... I'm very introverted. When my parents tried to socialize me at a young age, I simply sat around watching the kids running around like idiots, and I just wanted to go home and play with my legos.

I usually test INTP on the tests I've taken (but I havn't taken anything official yet). My results usually tend towards I (100%), N (10%), T(70%-90%), P(20-60%). My habits certainly reflect an INTP, but that's partly because I'm an unlucky guy that gets migraines, and being outside too much is guaranteed to set them off. Feeling strong emotions also sets them off, so I've kind of repressed that as I've grown older.

Many types of theory bore me to death. I love arguing, but I absolutely hate formal philosophy. Logic comes to me naturally, but I dislike the structure that philosophy classes use when naming / describing different types of arguments. For me, it's very easy to see what is logical and what is not logical, so all these conventions are very unnecessary. I like some parts of psychology, but I HATE the parts that I would consider pseudoscience, which includes quite a few of the "personality" disorders. I loathe classes that deal with ethics, since they're ust imaginary rules we've created to try and get along. School itself bores me to tears. Partly because I dislike the subject matter, partly because I'm being forced to do it. If it was up to my, I would simply surf the internet for hours every day, learning things as I see fit. But, unfortunately, I have to make money to pay the bills (right now I get a considerable amount from financial aid).

I've been trying to figure out what I want to do with my life since high school now. I'm 26 and I worked a few years in various jobs out of high school before going back to college a couple years ago, and I still don't have any idea. Most of my free time has been spent playing competitive mult-iplayer games (such as DotA, LoL, HoN). I also love to read fiction in my spare time; I hate reading non-fiction unless it's very well written on an entertaining subject matter. I've started learning to code, but I get tired of it and it's hard to motivate myself to do it constantly; however, I get tired of just about every new thing I've tried. The idea of a "career" where I have to do the same thing for 30 years terrifies me. I hate any restrictions on my freedom whatsoever, which makes it hard to work under people.

Local time
-->
You sound INTP. The easiest way to determine for sure whether your ISTP or INTP would be to decide whether you're auxiliary function is Se or Ne - which should be quite easy. Your migraines could very well force you to be a toned down ISTP, so it's hard for me to tell.

Do you like expanding on ideas? Do random scenarios or theories pop into your head? Or are you a hands-on sort of person? Are you aware of your surroundings and prone to living in the moment? ---Ne vs Se.

Ixoziel

Local time
-->
You sound INTP. The easiest way to determine for sure whether you're ISTP or INTP would be to decide whether you're auxiliary function is Se or Ne - which should be quite easy. Your migraines could very well force you to be a toned down ISTP, so it's hard for me to tell.

Do you like expanding on ideas? Do random scenarios or theories pop into your head? Or are you a hands-on sort of person? Are you aware of your surroundings and prone to living in the moment? ---Ne vs Se.

I'm very good at fixing things, and I can put new things together fairly well, but I hate reading the instructions, because it removes all the challenge and makes it monotonous. I generally "plan" what I'm going to do ahead of time, but I certainly don't write a schedule or write any lists, because that would be boring.

I tend to be very aware of my surroundings but it really depends on what I'm doing. I've been in a few car accidents because of having to drive long distances, and I zone out when bored. However, if I'm not inside my head, my reaction time is very quick and I'm the kind of person who always catches something if you throw it at them.

I would say my favorite activities would be: playing competitive, STRATEGIC video games (I tend to hate action and FPS games), reading fantasy / sci-fi (although I do this a lot more rarely than I used to), playing with my cats, "wikiing" for hours a day, and thinking.

My closest friends usually describe me as Sherlock Holmes or L (in personality, not necessarily in intelligence or aptitude).

Local time
-->
Bearing in mind that MBTI isn't completely conclusive, I'd say you're probably an ISTP, given what you've shared. Nobody is 100% any certain type, but we're all prone to using certain functions. You seem to favour Ti and Se, and are definitely on the perceiving side. You've also said you're for sure an introvert. So, yeah. ISTP makes sense.

B.C.P.

Local time
-->
American highways - if you're in America - get boring after a while so I don't blame you for zoning out. Se wouldn't have much novelty to pick up on. Judging by what you've said so far you seem to be an ISTP. With that said, you're really heavy on the Ti side. You may even be using your Ni a bit, as you say some abstract ideas interest you.

Do you ever feel physically restless? Do you scan your environment visually when you're not thinking about something? Did you ever think, even jokingly that you may have ADHD? Was/is school difficult for you because you aren't interested or is it also because you would rather be doing something physically active?

Ixoziel

Local time
-->
American highways - if you're in America - get boring after a while so I don't blame you for zoning out. Se wouldn't have much novelty to pick up on. Judging by what you've said so far you seem to be an ISTP. With that said, you're really heavy on the Ti side. You may even be using your Ni a bit, as you say some abstract ideas interest you.

Do you ever feel physically restless? Do you scan your environment visually when you're not thinking about something? Did you ever think, even jokingly that you may have ADHD? Was/is school difficult for you because you aren't interested or is it also because you would rather be doing something physically active?

I have been diagnosed with ADHD, I take adderall for it. I've also been through a lot of depression medications.

School is terrible because most of the subjects arn't useful. I enjoy English because it helps me communicate, and it helps me express ideas. I actually view a strong grasp of language as more important than formal philosophy for debating and reasoning. I dislike a lot of science subjects because of the memorization required... I need to have a purpose to apply the knowledge. I enjoy algebra and calculus, but I dislike physics. I hated when our physics professor would be asked about an example problem, and he would do a problem USING ONLY VARIABLES.

A problem I would have in physics, for example, is when the professor would write a conservation of energy / momentum equation on the board (with only variables) and manipulate it without using any numbers. However, once I work an example and learn why the numbers go where they go, it's easy for me to comprehend and work anything similar.

Algebra, on the other hand, was very easy. The only thing that was annoying was remembering the formula for quadratics. Statistics was also natural for me, I didn't need any of the formulas, I simply used logic to figure out odds. It was a bit more difficult later on, when we got into complex situations, but I still managed to get an A without ever opening the book (as opposed to my C in physics).

I had one history professor I enjoyed, he wanted us to strictly think about WHY things happened and why people did what they did, as opposed to memorizing dates, times, and other useless pieces of information.

I am restless, but it's not a "I need physical activity" kind of restless. I just think better when I'm walking around. I generally dislike feeling sweaty and hot, although I enjoy working out occassionally.

I do love looking at pictures of the wilderness, and I somewhat enjoy being outside when it's cool. I live in the southeast USA, so it's not cool until late October, and it gets warm in April. I enjoy being around animals a lot more than being outside, though. Any kind of feline will captivate me for hours, and I like reptiles and birds. When I am outside, I tend to enjoy looking at the sky and trees. I don't really like the city unless it's at night.

The saddest thing for me would be staying in a cubicle working a schedule. I would rather work freelance or run my own business.

B.C.P.

Local time
-->
"I need to have a purpose to apply the knowledge." This is very ISTP.

Have you ever taken the Enneagram? INT's usually test as a 5 (not always, but it could provide supporting evidence).

Judging from your experience with physics, you have a harder time with abstractions than concrete facts like numbers (your professor was obviously a bit biased in his teaching method).

I have an ISTP brother who was very fond of animals and children, but not nature. What are your relationships with other people like?

Ixoziel

Local time
-->
I dislike being around other people too much. I like talking to people online when I'm in the mood, but I like to be in control of when I'm socializing. I have three close friends, two of which I've known for around 10 years. I'm usually the person who decides what we are doing, and I lead our team when we game online. I can be laid back and relaxed, but I'm also very competitive... I tend to value winning above all at whatever I care about at the time. This causes friction among my in-group, and it scares most people away from me.
I especially dislike loud people.

ISTP doesn't feel like a perfect fit, because I'm not exactly a thrill seeker. I love competition, but I stay inside my head constantly. I'm not really aware of my surroundings for most of the time I'm awake.

At the same time, INTP doesn't feel right either. Quite a few friends of my friends are INTPs, and they seem unconfident. They often get upset when I disagree with them, although I can be confrontational sometimes. They also tend to get absorbed in abstract conversations.

I did the Enneagram test just now and got 5w6, I also scored highly on 1 and 7.

del

Randomly Generated
Local time
Yesterday 11:09 PM
-->
Keirsey's temperament theory (which is not exactly equivalent to the MBTI) would note one difference between INTPs and ISTPs -- that ISTPs are directive communicators and INTPs are informative communicators.

That seems to be relevant when you talk about your INTPs friends seeming "unconfident" to you.

I'd guess ISTP, but I could see INTP, INTJ, or even INFP (a long shot).

B.C.P.

Local time
-->
Your last post was very helpful. I'm quite certain you're either ISTP or INTJ at this point.

"I tend to value winning above all at whatever I care about at the time. This causes friction among my in-group, and it scares most people away from me."

Se can be manifested as a subtle vanity when in the auxiliary position, and the self-driven nature of Ti could lend a strong competitive nature to your personality. Your Ti drives you to win and is motivated by your Se to create a tangible form of social position (this came to mind when you mentioned you're an Enneagram 5w6). Just speculation mind you.

"I like talking to people online when I'm in the mood, but I like to be in control of when I'm socializing."

This need to orient external environment suggests more dominant extroverted judging, which brings INTJ to mind. INTP's tend to be more accommodating, though inside they really with the person would go away.

"I'm not exactly a thrill seeker."

INTP's don't have to be into computers, mathematics, or philosophy, to be INTP's. Though many are.

"They often get upset when I disagree with them, although I can be confrontational sometimes. They also tend to get absorbed in abstract conversations."

Your obviously have a bluntness to your character that causes this. Again, INTJ (Te) came to mind. If you're being confrontational it seems you have a strong sense of conviction that you are right (INTJ Ni). But then, IJ's are actually quite calm inside and you describe yourself as restless (more an IP attribute).

If abstract conversations tend to bore or annoy you then it's still possible you're an ISTP. The way you have communicated so far also seems S to me. You stick to the point and answer in a very straightforward manner. Still trying to discern if that is just your specific demeanor.

"I did the Enneagram test just now and got 5w6, I also scored highly on 1 and 7."

As I said, NT's usually score as a 5. It implies dominant Ti, but the w6 is a curiosity. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the system to comment further. I'll have to do some studying.

Ixoziel

Local time
-->
When I say abstract conversations and subjects bore me, I think I should clarify exactly what I mean. I enjoy computer programming to a degree; I enjoy the feeling when I complete a project and it works. Completing and understanding the code is fairly easy... the only boring part is memorizing the syntax. I enjoy many parts of psychology, and personality profiling (although I realize it's silly to think there's only 16 types of humans). Some abstract subjects that I really can not stand would be astronomy, history, ethics, and some of the more ridiculous business classes, like "leadership".

I often do have a strong conviction that I'm right. In most of my conversations with my friends, I usually am right. One of them will say something absurd, and I will correct them. I often know they're wrong without really thinking about it... I'm not sure how to describe it. I guess it just conflicts with the giant database of random facts in my head. Someone says something incorrect, I immediately know it's wrong. The formulation of my thoughts and ideas are kind of unconscious. I don't really work out the specifics until I actually type something or say it out loud.

Top Bottom