• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Yet another typing question and a hello from a new(ish) user

Belak

Local time
Yesterday 7:36 PM
-->
Hello intps and all other types on here alike. I'm Belak. I was on the forum last year and haven't been on since for reasons. Anyway, I'm here and consider this sort of a greeting as a new user, but this post has a purpose other than introductions. Either way, hello.

Many of you are very smart and hopefully have vast amounts of knowledge on mbti and typology. That's fairly obvious.

When I originally tested in mbti a few years ago, I tested as an infj. The description seemed to fit, but I wasn't interested, so I left it at that. At the time, I was into the Rubik's cube and became very obsessed, and I felt that that pursuit was worthy of my free time, not silly quizzes. (I should probable mention that I am still in my teens). A couple of years later, I searched a few things and ended back on personality type quizzes. I tested as intp. This seemed odd to me, considering that I had identified with the infj description, also, the types are very different. I was surprised when I read the description for intp that I identified with it as well. I started to read about intps and suddenly felt less strange considering that I am a relatively reserved and smart kid in the background at my school. I started to read unhealthy amounts about intps, and sort of grew into the intp stereotype. I was satisfied.

A few things have led me to believe that all was not satisfying, and I needed to figure it out. One thing was that some days the intp description fit like a glove, others were...

Every time I retake the test I tested as intp. I don't trust the test results, I just assume that I'm down a completely biased point of view of my ideal self. So I asked a few friends (my only few friends) to test for me. They all got infj, except for my intp friend. Whose point of view do I value more?

Another thing I noticed was that I am fairly aware of my emotions, I've made it a point to know how I feel about things, to analyze them. I don't understand them, but I know them. I'm not sure which cognitive functions are at play here, but they confuse me.

I also have noticed that I listen to music that infjs seem to listen to, not the intp music--at least according to the forums. (Band of Horses, Coldplay, Muse, Iron and Wine) Very melancholy stuff.

It seems to me that I have convinced myself that I am intp when in reality I am infj. Or maybe I am an intp with very balanced functions. Or possibly I am a naturally intp with self doubts.

I need to find out, so I can move to a new obsession, like electronics or programming or writing or something.

Sorry about how long this post is, if you've made it this far, air high five.

Now for a little description of myself. I'm young, and like to sport now and then [soccer(football)]. I like school and get good grades in all of my classes. At the same time, however, I hate school and want to be done with it, mainly because I hardly ever learn anything. I have two close friends who are likely both intps, one of them pushes me intellectually, the other doesn't do much. I'm an atheist. I'm liberal. Im tall, lanky. I like to write. I like listening to music, reading books, watching Netflix, random stuff. I prefer being alone rather than dealing with people and social interactions, although they are impossible to avoid. My room in organized in some places and messy in others. I get huge crushes on people, almost creepily.

Hopefully that is enough information to go by. It will be interesting to see how you respond. hopefully you respond positively.:D

And finally my question: How do I figure this out? Why do intps and infjs mistype as each other? What are your thoughts?

And please don't tell me to look more closely at cognitive functions, I've done that, still confused.

Thanks!

Urakro

~
Local time
Today 1:36 AM
-->
To my understanding, you don't sound like a J type. If you're able to hyper-focus and obsess about certain pursuits, it makes me fit you into a P type. But also, I've made inferences that J's are very sure of who they are. They will hardly come out strong asking genuinely for other people's opinions, particularly about what type they are. Usually J's have the answers already in their heads, and use questions rhetorically, or to confirm their assumptions.

Also, I think the big advantage FJ's have is they are able to easily manage reactions from others. They know their own behavioural influence, and they have a good grasp on people. It's easy for them to emote a role, and slide into a convincing act to direct other's emotions a certain way. Unless it's your intention to come off creepily, you'd know how to convincingly make your crushes hidden, or at least not that creepy.

Being able to sit for long hours obsessively doing the same thing requires a lot of help from Si. To my knowledge, INFJ's with would snap at the idea of it. Ni helps them go deep into their intuition and stuff, but I don't think they can stay in the same environmental setting for too long. They crave contrast and excitement from time to time.

Just looking between F and T always has confused me. Some say T's disregard other people's feelings and come across as unempathic. Some say T's are very empathic, they are just very intellectual. I really can't make much of an opinion.

Making a guess, you seem INxP.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 2:36 AM
-->
If you are young, you may yet have to gather the experience necessary to understand yourself. On the other hand that goes for everyone right up until death.

I recommend thinking of type as a problem as well as some kind of niche or specialty. For INTP, your issue would be a clarity of autonomous analysis at the expense of ease conveying and convincing and aligning with people. You may feel like a robot, like an alien, a pearl of useless, locked-up truth. For INFJ, your issue would be an attachment to inner abstract ideals at the expense of ability to derive pleasure from reality as it is. You may feel hopelessly grated by the inane banality and short-sightedness of those around you. INTP doesn't look down on people the same way as INFJ does, and INFJ doesn't have trouble getting across the same way as INTP does.

Not knowing you, other types can't be ruled out at all.

Then there's overlap and having a bit of both and it's very uncertain whether complete, strictly defined types as per MBTI are really a thing.

If you wager between INTP and INFJ, Ne vs. Ni is the sound place to look. Are you a chaotic brain-stormer or a "just get it" oracle gut-feel kind of person? Are you more annoyed by pointless speculation or by unsupported stubborn conviction? INTP has Ne so thinks out loud and is intellectually stimulated by company. INFJ has Ni so thinks in silence and feels the continuity of the inner discovery dissipate in company of others. INTP likes to bounce ideas back and forward while INFJ prefers to deliver its own pre-conceived perspective. Which of these descriptions resonates more?

Belak

Local time
Yesterday 7:36 PM
-->
Thanks to both of you.

Urakro, you said that INFJs wouldn't be able to sit doing something very long and INTPs because of their Si can. I have a tendancy to get bored with something very fast, but I haven't had any real passions for a while.

Brontosurie, I'm really not sure on those questions regarding Ne or Ni. I'm not reall annoyed by pointless speculation and I find that I have stopped caring about unsupported stubborn conviction. I do learn by talking, but I also like to speculate alone. I guess I lean a little more towards Ne, but not by much.

Maybe I'm a half-INTP?

Again, help much appreciated.

louiesgonnadie

"louie-louie-louie-lou-ieeee, louie louie you're g
Local time
Yesterday 8:36 PM
-->
Consider being a sensor, just for the sheer fact that most people are sensors.

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
Yesterday 8:36 PM
-->
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay. Try looking into Keirsey's temperaments and distinguish yourself between NF Idealist and NT Rational.

Top Bottom