• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Your top Overrated bands?

travelnjones

Local time
Yesterday 9:47 PM
-->
what are some bands you think are overrated or you just don't get the attraction too?

I am not sure i should start off by stirring up controversy but I will say The Beatles. My reasons for saying this is they are just a band and have seemed to be given almost supernatural reverence. They were the sound track of the change in the 60's I understand that but the change would have happened with someone else singing.

Also their music very derivative of other styles. When I am 64 for example sounds very in line with older popular music. Mister Kite just sounds like carnival music. Their early music sounds definitely is uniquely recognizable as them, so they have the own sounds but it is not so different from other rock of the day.

Where was a fair amount of experimentation they did in their middle period which was good. Also in this period they were combining elements of non rock forms that was new and interesting.

Their post Beatles careers were less than impressive which is suspect to me. I would have assumed dedicated musicians would continue with their output on their own. It seems post Beatles only George Harrison continued on like someone who loves music.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 6:47 AM
-->
radiohead, muse, coldplay, vampire weekend, m83, animal collective, aphex twin and any indie band with a sentence for a name.

also coheed and cambria. they're only decently popular but they make the worst music conceivable.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
Today 5:47 AM
-->
radiohead, muse, coldplay, vampire weekend, m83, animal collective, aphex twin and any indie band with a sentence for a name.

also coheed and cambria. they're only decently popular but they make the worst music conceivable.

I like this. Though I do like a few of those. I've personally found Muse fans to be a bit obnoxious (generally speaking), hailing them as the greatest, etc. Who am I to judge someone's favourite band and tastes, I just assume anyone who says they are the best don't know much about music...

I think the Beatles were artistically significant, but agreed in terms of how much hype they get. :phear:

I'm going to add metal, perhaps the culture rather than the genre. I've admittedly slowly drifted from the genre, but was at download festival over the weekend and found myself actually getting bored. So many of the sounds were derivative and uninspiring. So many metal fans pit themselves against the mainstream hailing it as superior music, when I don't think in general its immune to the same formulas that make that mainstream they criticise stale.

I do find certain bands genuinely inspiring so I don't intend this too sweepingly.

I will actually add Devin Townsend as well though. I do really love some of his music (and have seen him live a few times now), City & Deconstruction especially. He's really talented; but I don't think he's deserving of the "best/ most intelligent musician evah" status I've seen several fans and people here tout.

motrhead

Local time
-->
I completely disagree about the Beatles. They were very different from their contemporaries . The only other band even in the same universe were the Yardbirds. Every one else followed the Beatles lead because they became so popular. John Lennon really set the direction of rock and pop to come. So there :D
Most over rated is easy. Nickelback...and the Stones.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:17 PM
-->
I agree about the beetles being over-rated, it's an argument I've been having for a long time with some friends.

I also find radiohead pretty over-rated.

I really like Muse, but their fans are often quite over the top, just as Puffy said. While metal is my favourite genre, it is often repetitive and the culture is one of my least favourite. There is a lot of fun to be had with it, but people thinking they're somehow breaking the mold by adhering to it makes me sad.

I'm one of those mad Devin Townsend fans, though there are certainly a lot of songs that receive too much praise. He's my favourite musician, but he's not as consistently brilliant as people like to think.

Nickelback??? They're popular, but not considered good by anyone I know that are critical about music. They're the butt of internet memes in the same way JB, One Direction, and Nicki Minaj are. They have a massive counterculture happening.

I'll add dream theater to the list. I've tried them out so many times but they just seem uninteresting. Also Mr. Bungle, Mike Patton's voice is so nasally and his lyrics are moronic.

Amagi82

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Local time
Today 12:47 AM
-->
Pretty much any pop music is stupidly overrated, but we already knew that. I could also bitch and whine about techno(in all its myriad forms), R&B, country, and Rap, because I think it all sucks ass.

I do think the Beatles were overrated, but I'm going to roll with Elvis here. He's probably the single most overrated musician of all time.

*edit*
Someone mentioned Nickelback and Metallica. I must absolutely agree- they are shit. Same for the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith.

I actually really like Muse, but I've never seen what Muse fans are like. They might be really annoying, I dunno, but I think Muse's music is innovative, interesting, and enjoyable, especially Knights of Cydonia.

Local time
-->
Some quick ones:

Radiohead
The Doors
Muse
Rolling Stones
The Cure
Nirvana

I don't have anything close to a detailed explanation, and hell, I respect what they do/did. They just don't do it for me...

And I can't stand Thom Yorke's whining into the mic :D

*EDIT - Agreed re: Elvis, Nickelback, and Coheed & Cambria.

travelnjones

Local time
-->
I was meaning more of their early stuff like twist and shout and I wanna hold your hand. I don't really hear that beginning phase as distinguished. I would agree they did stuff later. Its just I don't see enough great stuff to grant them the godlike status they have been given.

I am not a fan of Devin townsend, but he only seems well known on this board. I only have something he did for a Rush tribute that I really disliked.

Nirvana is a band that needed two more records. There is just so little to make an opinion on. I do think they saved metal through. Even Thrash was becoming popular back when they came out. Metal needs to be underground to maintain its integrity. Look at the sad state punk is in after it become pop

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 2:47 PM
-->
Radiohead
Coldplay
Muse
Slipknot
Blink 182
The Beatles
Metallica

It's not that I think they're 'bad' per se, just that they don't deserve the acclaim they get. Slipknot, Muse and Blink 182 fans are the worst.

Special shout-out to every popular 'R&B' artist who ever lived in the past 15-20 years for completely butchering the concepts of both, 'rhythm', and, 'blues'. Rihanna, Mariah Carey...and whoever else that entails. But I digress...

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Radiohead is one of my favourite bands.. but they are admittedly overrated and listened to as a means of construing an identity.

not even close to animal collective, coldplay, muse or other overrated stuff such as fucking Queen or Yes

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 2:47 PM
-->
Listened to as a means of construing an identity.

Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make. The bands that people listen to because it's, 'cool' to identify as an *insert band here* fan.

Top Bottom