• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Debates and labels

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
Today 12:14 PM
-->
Is it rational to label yourself in debate? This could be political (dem, rep, liber., etc.), religious (Christian, Muslim, etc.) or any category that you could pick a side in.

A Neil Degrasse Tyson video for Big Think made me ponder. If you give yourself that title, you are assigning all the specific details and generalities associated with that title to yourself, thus an individual engaging in conversion with thou may assume they know your pov and argument prior to the conclusion of your statement. Even if your statement isn't completely in unison with the ideas of the label you've given yourself, they've already put you in the same boat as the others claiming the same title, and address your argument the same.

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Tomorrow 5:14 AM
-->
Labels and categories allow for more efficient conveyance of information. It is easy for me to state that I am a libertarian have people understand me than stating that I believe that the system of morality that justifies the use of coercion to structure society is not rational or conducive to self-determination, peace, prosperity and longevity.

Edit: Though, in a debate I am normally arguing the merits of my position.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Tomorrow 3:14 AM
-->
I wouldn't bring it out right from the outset, but I am usually happy to state my religious/political "labels" if asked.

Local time
Today 8:14 PM
-->
It's not rational for purposes of debate, since labeling is the first step of attacking something. Though in some contexts it may be more beneficial to label yourself before someone else can label you as something else.

Outside of debate labels can increase efficiency by identifying tangible qualities, e.g. one who has the skill set of an electrician is labeled an electrician.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:14 PM
-->
You should always label yourself... with labels which accurately describe yourself. That's the whole point of labels. They describe something. I hate anti-label fuck heads.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 3:14 AM
-->
Tell your label before the debate so at least people know where you stand and why you take that position. It's also useful for playing devil's advocate so at least people will know that you're not trolling.

As for being attacked because of a label, I suggest seeking another person to debate with since you won't be able to learn anything useful anyways. People who like to do ad hominem attacks are not worth playing with.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 9:14 PM
-->
it's a practical and efficient way of conveying basic viewpoints and values, but you gotta be flexible about it. you gotta understand that labels do not represent necessary but rather conventional clustres of ideas.

kvothe27

Local time
Today 1:14 PM
-->
It's rational or irrational depending on the venue, the people watching, the labels you're using, and your opponent. If the people are ignorant of the topic being discussed, it will make it easier for you to lose based on straw men. You may find yourself clarifying your position the whole debate (based on connotations of the label), which means the debate would be entirely about you defending yourself. You want the opposition to be defending himself (as though he's on trial), not you, especially if it's in front of a group of people who value allegiances, popularity, reputation, etc., over logic.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
Today 8:14 PM
-->
As Nezaros pointed out, it's a case to case thing. It's good being aware of the pros and cons but there's no definite way to go, tis all dependent upon context.

Double_V

Local time
Today 2:14 PM
-->
Is it rational to label yourself in debate? This could be political (dem, rep, liber., etc.), religious (Christian, Muslim, etc.) or any category that you could pick a side in.

A Neil Degrasse Tyson video for Big Think made me ponder. If you give yourself that title, you are assigning all the specific details and generalities associated with that title to yourself, thus an individual engaging in conversion with thou may assume they know your pov and argument prior to the conclusion of your statement. Even if your statement isn't completely in unison with the ideas of the label you've given yourself, they've already put you in the same boat as the others claiming the same title, and address your argument the same.

And makes you a target. I'm not registered as anything politically. The last presidential election made me quite a target for the Libs. I had so much of 'Hate the rich' Obama mail it was unbelievable. I also attended a Romney/Ryan event just after Ryan was announced as VP - I'm in his district. Because it was a hometown boy and it was history I wanted to see it. To enter it was required to give your name and an email. I gave an address I use for junk email. I just checked, it looks like I have over 3000 emails from that people/groups that obtained that email address from that single event.

Meanwhile, the single issue I want to speak with any politician over.... I haven't heard back from any one of them or even their offices , democrat or republican.

Top Bottom