• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Emergency and Disaster Information Service

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
Yesterday 11:39 PM
-->
This is a favorite of mine. From their site:

"The Hungarian National Association of Radio Distress-Signalling and Infocommunications (RSOE) operates Emergency and Disaster Information Service (EDIS) within the frame of its own website which has the objective to monitor and document all the events on the Earth which may cause disaster or emergency."

They also have an app for Android.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

dang

Local time
Yesterday 7:39 PM
-->
Are you currently in an underground bunker?

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
-->
Not an underground one, no. Maybe when the time comes.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 3:39 AM
-->
Have you ever watched Doomsday Preppers? What is your take on those types of folk?

I think they are well prepared ;)

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
What joy! I can't wait to download a newest disaster app for smartphones!

Tourist info:
"Witness amazing mushroom clouds in a city near you, a spectacle what many claim to be once in a lifetime experience, admission free, make haste, can't miss this opportunity!"

"Recent car bombing 3 streets from your location, bodies are fresh, be the first one to report via live-tweet on the horror and receive 15% off from our designer gas masks brand line"

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
-->
What joy! I can't wait to download a newest disaster app for smartphones!

Tourist info:
"Witness amazing mushroom clouds in a city near you, a spectacle what many claim to be once in a lifetime experience, admission free, make haste, can't miss this opportunity!"

"Recent car bombing 3 streets from your location, bodies are fresh, be the first one to report via live-tweet on the horror and receive 15% off from our designer gas masks brand line"

LOL you should implement and monetize that somehow in your spare time. I'm sure there's an angle to leverage here somewhere. I bet you could eventually $ell it to Fox or CNN to augment their existing... thing.

The EDIS site and app are more about situational awareness (albeit at a high/global level which isn't all that useful in the moment for most of us) as opposed to sensational circus - it's not competing for eyeballs/ratings or trying to entertain. It's just aggregating. Depending on where you are in the world you may hear things from EDIS before you hear about them from your local mainstream news media, if you hear about them at all.

Granted... the detailed information provided by EDIS is based on information gleaned from media reports local to where an event is occurring or has occurred, and sometimes the quality of the information is wanting... this is probably due to translation sometimes and sometimes due to the nature of the source, like anything else.

So yeah it's a lot of doom and gloom, but the reality is that shit happens everywhere every day. I might not be directly affected by a plane going missing in inclement weather, or a bus full of people plummeting over a cliff in one of those cliffy places, or occasional outbreaks of one type or another of influenza or MERS, or chemical fires or a couple of dudes dying of methane trying to clean out a septic tank, or occasional shutdowns of nuclear power facilities for one reason or another or volcano erup-... wait... my favorite coffee comes from Guatemala and there's a volcano erupting there... DAMN IT.

I just like a lot of information. I like knowing of the existence of some information sooner rather than later, and I like not having to sift through the media to find it, between feelgood stories about yoga pants and would be presidents or the olympics... a slow news day on EDIS is a quiet day on EDIS. A slow news day on fox or cnn is a daylong carnival of vacuous filler.

Pretty much none of this information helps me "in the moment" apart from when know-it-all friends (in my early 40s I am still acquainted with these - there really is no hope is there) try to tell me about stuff and I can just shut them down with "yeah I heard about that already, thanks." (Ever feel like every other person you know IRL wishes they were a fuckin' news anchor?).

String together enough open source intelligence sources and you eventually have enough string to draw a big picture, I guess?

dang

Local time
Yesterday 7:39 PM
-->
LOL you should implement and monetize that somehow in your spare time. I'm sure there's an angle to leverage here somewhere. I bet you could eventually $ell it to Fox or CNN to augment their existing... thing.

The EDIS site and app are more about situational awareness (albeit at a high/global level which isn't all that useful in the moment for most of us) as opposed to sensational circus - it's not competing for eyeballs/ratings or trying to entertain. It's just aggregating. Depending on where you are in the world you may hear things from EDIS before you hear about them from your local mainstream news media, if you hear about them at all.

Granted... the detailed information provided by EDIS is based on information gleaned from media reports local to where an event is occurring or has occurred, and sometimes the quality of the information is wanting... this is probably due to translation sometimes and sometimes due to the nature of the source, like anything else.

So yeah it's a lot of doom and gloom, but the reality is that shit happens everywhere every day. I might not be directly affected by a plane going missing in inclement weather, or a bus full of people plummeting over a cliff in one of those cliffy places, or occasional outbreaks of one type or another of influenza or MERS, or chemical fires or a couple of dudes dying of methane trying to clean out a septic tank, or occasional shutdowns of nuclear power facilities for one reason or another or volcano erup-... wait... my favorite coffee comes from Guatemala and there's a volcano erupting there... DAMN IT.

I just like a lot of information. I like knowing of the existence of some information sooner rather than later, and I like not having to sift through the media to find it, between feelgood stories about yoga pants and would be presidents or the olympics... a slow news day on EDIS is a quiet day on EDIS. A slow news day on fox or cnn is a daylong carnival of vacuous filler.

Pretty much none of this information helps me "in the moment" apart from when know-it-all friends (in my early 40s I am still acquainted with these - there really is no hope is there) try to tell me about stuff and I can just shut them down with "yeah I heard about that already, thanks." (Ever feel like every other person you know IRL wishes they were a fuckin' news anchor?).

String together enough open source intelligence sources and you eventually have enough string to draw a big picture, I guess?

You are simply cutting out the middleman.

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
-->
Not an underground one, no. Maybe when the time comes.

I should point out the response above was half facetious and half dismissive. I don't work in, own or live in or around anything you could classify as a bunker. By "when the time comes" I mean "If I ever have to go live in a hole for some reason, I will go live in a hole for that reason."

I am not awaiting some kind of "end of times" or apocalypse. I am not a prepper- I'm hardly prepared for breakfast or long weekends and holidays, so...

Have you ever watched Doomsday Preppers? What is your take on those types of folk?

Television frustrates me so I have left it behind 4-5 years ago and haven't looked back. One thing I absolutely do not miss about television is "reality" shows. Thanks for the beards, Duck Dynasty (I assume this is their fault... still trying to figure out where the white appropriation of man-bun/top-knot started.)

So I had to look up "Doomsday Preppers" - I'd heard of it but I hadn't taken any time to learn what kind of whack-factor applies to it. I still haven't apart from skimming the National Geographic channel's website for it to get an impression (like are they takin' the piss or are they trying to send an educational message with this content). That said, I have been aware of "preppers" and the broad range of personalities and MO's encompassed by that term for some time.

Everything has its "extremes", and preparedness is no exception. The mass media seems to like presenting us with the more extreme examples of things because that's what keeps the viewer's attention and in some cases aids in shaping opinions. Because extremes are what get noticed and subsequently discussed, the opinion I have formed in response to the label "preppers" for better or worse tends to lean towards a description of the more extreme examples of that group - the militia types, the "end is nigh!@!!!!3!!" types, and those looking to get off the grid and be ultimately self-sufficient for sociopolitical reasons. I think some of them are healthy, some of them aren't, and people gots to have a hobby.

If I toss that opinion which is formed mainly through exposure to the extreme cases, and look more closely at the method behind the madness I am left with a far more useful one: Preparedness is probably important.

Like I implied above, I am generally unprepared. "Unprepared for what, Itch?"

Pick a noun.

I live in a residential neighborhood very near the down-town core of a small city. The utilities infrastructure (power, communications, water) is good. There are convenience stores, 24hr grocery stores, pharmacies and restaurants all within close walking distance from my home. My day-to-day lifestyle/existence relies heavily on the regular availability of all these things.

• I don't keep a lot of food on hand. What I have on hand in the way of dry goods frozen and canned goods would not sustain a suitably nutritious diet for more than a day or two before I started feeling like garbage if I didn't have access to grocery stores.
  • All the food I have on hand with the exception of an overdue can of beets and and can of chickpeas needs to be cooked. (frozen haddock, frozen pork, rice, quinoa)
  • All of the food I have on hand requires electricity to either preserve or prepare it (except for those beets and chickpeas).
  • The oil fired hot water furnace which heats my home relies on electricity to operate.
  • My land line telecom and internet services require electricity to function and I have no battery backup applied to them.
  • The municipal tap water is fine to drink but if that were to change or become unavailable I do not have enough potable water squirreled away at any given time to cook with and drink for more than a day or two.

In the event of a sustained interruption in the availability of water, electricity or food supplies my situation would very likely become desperate (with varying degrees of desperate depending on the season) within a couple of days.

It's very easy for me to think about these things in the now with a comfortable degree of detachment but if I stop and think about it a bit harder what I need to accept is that in the last sixteen years there have been two significant weather events which have disrupted normal operation of the city for days at a time (I was fortunate during both of these events to live in the down town core on a particularly resilient power grid and a convenience store in the basement of my apartment building). There have also been subsequent weather events which have affected the lives of people in rural areas for up a week or more.

I need to accept that the same can and will happen again in the future - who knows when, really, but hurricane season comes once a year. I've had it easy so far but one of these times that won't be the case. I can rest assured that the people responsible for restoring services and utilities in the aftermath of these events are busting ass to get things working again, but those people are people too, and are all subject to the same hardships during these events - stuff can take a bit of time to get right again. It's up to me to ensure that I can live sufficiently (first) and comfortably (second) until things return to "normal."

So far in life I am super fortunate to live somewhere that I don't immediately need to worry about being shot up at the cinema or the mall, or blown up while hunting down a triple cappuccino, or flee town because of a riot or military coup. Things change. The day they change and my grocery store gets gassed while I'm in it or something, then "Shit, I never thought about that" is going to be my own fault if I don't know what to do in order to save my own life in a crisis, because I was not prepared to some degree for some eventuality.

I'm one of those IT people and I live in a protective geek bubble defined by my career. I can be "handy" if I need to be, but I need to research and "read the manual" to be effective. I don't have much in the way of skills to trade other than probably labor in the event of a catastrophic collapse of society. I can't knit, I can't raise sheep to make wool to knit with. Raise chickens? What's a chickens?! There's a whole load of skills I don't have, and situations I don't have plans for. Could I adapt? Probably, but how I adapt is going to require forceps in a pinch and it ain't gonna be quite right after it comes out.

My thoughts on going "off the grid"? Shoot, that would be a pile of fun if I could keep up my rock'n'roll lifestyle - I'm not ready to get "down to earth" like that. But there's people doing it, and my hat is off to them. My tinfoil hat is off to all those poor bastards who are anxiously awaiting some kind of marked end of or collapse of everything as we know it - this is a good way to expend that nervous energy if they have to be that nervously energetic, but it would probably be good for them to relax a little.

The ones who have taken some time to make sure they know where their flashlights, candles and first aid kits are, who have put some suitable provisions aside (water and food enough to sustain their families for however long) and who have taken a minute to plan their exit strategy and route to a safer place in the event of something going unfortunately sideways near their home or where they happen to be - those ones get my respect.

That is my thoughts on those types of folk.

Actually, now that I am thinking about it the most recent tangent I've gone down which was related in any way to preparedness was a few weeks back when I was researching DIY solutions for high capacity uninterruptible power supplies to run my telephone and Internet service during a power outage. Mainly just for the internets. WHICH LOL HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH MY ACTUAL SURVIVAL. So that was pointless. (Except... Internets!!)

%$!@!! this is too long.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I see the utility of it, though I didn't acknowledge it in my previous post. I'd be interested in having access to a detailed kind of "intelligence" feed from across the world to help build my outlook and awareness, provided the information wouldn't be manipulated and the coverage was decent.

I wouldn't mind paying a subscription fee if I had certainty it's going to be satisfactory. Though certainly a publicly available service of this kind would be more lofty.

That's the issue I have with most news services, they cater to their viewers/region or sponsors too much and there isn't any particular comprehensive site I could rely on to save more time trying to monitor and understand what's going on and what leads to what.

I guess the most effective way would be to become a proper intelligence agent and have a firsthand access to reports and information-exchange market.

The idea of this site seems curious and potentially useful, though based on what they're showing right now and how it lacks details I'd find it insufficient for what I'd need.

What it boils down to is a widely applicable and basic problem of extensive vs intensive search balancing with time consuming quality assessment that's so draining during research, social interaction and skill/proficiency acquisition beyond a certain point.

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
-->
I see the utility of it, though I didn't acknowledge it in my previous post. I'd be interested in having access to a detailed kind of "intelligence" feed from across the world to help build my outlook and awareness, provided the information wouldn't be manipulated and the coverage was decent.

A nifty and or possibly terribly grim example of how this contributes to my own outlook and awareness came by way of the Android app a few minutes ago: two notifications, one from the USGS ENS and a subsequent duplicate notification from EMSC (likely from shared access to data from the same sensor network) of a magnitude 6.0 earthquake at 10km depth "off the East coast of Honshu, Japan". This is or is close-ish-to where the magnitude ~7 quake which triggered the tsunami in 2012 occurred. There's no tsunami alert at this time, so that's very good.

The EDIS app notified on the alert from USGS at just over an hour after the timestamp marking the occurrence of the quake. The email from USGS ENS (i subscribe to their mailing list) with the same alert arrived via gmail ten minutes after the EDIS app alert. The EMSC alert arrived by EDIS fifteen minutes after the USGS alert.

The only real grain of salt these earthquake notifications come with is that they are usually computer generated and not yet reviewed by a person, though subsequent updates and corrections can occur.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't know the details of the early warning system in Japan but I'd assume it's very good. They're able to warn 99.9% of the endangered population early enough to give them a comfortable time window to move to safe zones. (In case of 2012 tsunami for example).

Likely their national/regional apps/systems are even better at keeping you updated on what's going down.

Interesting comparison, there's probably a number of intermediaries between the source and providers.

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
-->
I don't know the details of the early warning system in Japan but I'd assume it's very good. They're able to warn 99.9% of the endangered population early enough to give them a comfortable time window to move to safe zones. (In case of 2012 tsunami for example).

Likely their national/regional apps/systems are even better at keeping you updated on what's going down.

Interesting comparison, there's probably a number of intermediaries between the source and providers.
This prompted me to look at some of Japan's stuff - very cool in terms of earthquake and tsunami.

As for subscribing: going directly to the local source would be awesome. I think right now my rationalization for not doing so seems to be an imaginary boundary I've imagined between needing th information in really-real time vs being satisfied with getting it a bit later. If I was going to be somewhere like Japan then I would see my way to using their local systems. Where I am far from there and far from being at risk in any near term from events which might happen there, I am happy to get the notifications after a bit of a lag - this frees up "local resources" for the locals (surely one extra email recipient on their list isn't going to affect capacity but hey).

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 12:39 PM
-->
Does anyone know of any other interesting live feeds/information services like this?

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 12:39 PM
-->
As soon as I clicked this thread a "network server change was detected".

That's highly suspicious.

:storks:

Top Bottom