• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

For the life of me, I don't understand why MBTI types me opposite things

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 8:42 AM
-->
Notwithstanding the fact that I have lost belief but I suppose some of you here do believe that I am an INTJ. The MBTI keeps typing me as INTP and INTJ. I am interested in knowing what kind of perception people have given how the functions are antithetical to each other

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
Yesterday 11:12 PM
-->
My impression of you was more INTJ too. They can have intense feelings and experiences and opinions.
INTP seems like its more casual about life.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
Today 4:12 AM
-->
MBTI is just Carl Jung's bong fart, identify yourself however you please.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 9:12 PM
-->
the fact that I have lost belief
The MBTI keeps typing me

That is not how psychology works.

Whether you believe or disbelieve people have orientations.

As a psychology, type is too complex for paper tests to tell you anything about it.

Paper tests lack the theory of mind to know anything substantial.

The difference between INTP and INTJ is this:

INTJ has superior insights into the nature of the natural world to complete goals

INTP works out every thought to the fullest extent of its ramifications

The first has no problem with the lack of completion of all ideas being explored as long as it solves the one thing it wants to solve. INTJ most often wants to get one idea at a time into reality and uses its ability to see every possibility of accomplishing it and selecting the best strategy.

The second needs to know everything that is possible given a single idea and its relationships to all other ideas. INTP does not want to do much but only wants to have a complete understanding of all entailments of all possibilities.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 9:12 PM
-->
ENTJ will experiment more and have fewer insights

ENTP will see a greater number of connections and reflect on them less

Old Things

I am unworthy of His grace
Local time
Yesterday 10:12 PM
-->
I say I am an N. People here generally regard me as an S.

There is also some differences between T and F.

I honestly don't care that much. If I was going to type myself, it would be INFP. I have some data to back this up besides that it is just my impression of myself. I took Jordan Petersons Big 5 test and scored high in Agreeableness and Openness, and low on Conscientiousness. I was more or less split down the middle for Extroversion as I am quite assertive, but also low in positive emotions.

Big 5.jpg

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Notwithstanding the fact that I have lost belief but I suppose some of you here do believe that I am an INTJ. The MBTI keeps typing me as INTP and INTJ. I am interested in knowing what kind of perception people have given how the functions are antithetical to each other
They both have pros and cons. It's like picking who is more capable: left-handers or right-handers. But some people get worried about being seen as disadvantaged, and so try to pick the type that they think is perceved as more capable.

Sometimes, it's when an the person has a lack of confidence due to inexperience, and so picks the one with the negatives.

It usually corrects once you go through therapy, achieve emotional regulation, and decide that knowing your faults and admitting them to others is better than trying to fool the entire world and yourself. Then they have no motivation to pretend to be anything other than themselves.

Ask yourself: would you rather everyone treats you as if you are nice but incapable, or tough and competent?

Old Things

Local time
-->
P/J is often misunderstood. It's often interpreted as Conscientiousness vs a lack of Conscientiousness, when those are character traits, and are nothing to do with how you think.

That is really interesting to me. I think I think like a J, but behave like a P.

But I would be interested if you could explain the difference a little more.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
P/J is often misunderstood. It's often interpreted as Conscientiousness vs a lack of Conscientiousness, when those are character traits, and are nothing to do with how you think.
That is really interesting to me. I think I think like a J, but behave like a P.

Being conscientious just means "you did a good job".

At one company I worked at, the best (most conscientious) salesman in the company became the worst (least conscientious) saleman in the company, when he was going through a rough divorce. Then there's people who are lacking conscientiousness until they get a girlfriend and/or get married. They both were lacking conscientiousness when single, and both were conscientious when married. Which one is conscientious and which ones are not?

Then there's the guy who is always on time, but never pays back his debts, and is an a-hole, the guy who is great fun to be with, but never on time, and never pays back his debts and the guy who always pays his debts, but is perpetually running late, and always sounds like a real jackass. Which ones are conscientious and which ones are not?

Also, if you look around, it's pretty easy to find people who are always on time, and people who are always late. But the person who is always late, is usually patient, while the people who is always on time, usually gets angry with anyone who is late for them. Which one is conscientious and which one is not?

Old Things

Local time
-->

Being conscientious just means "you did a good job".

At one company I worked at, the best (most conscientious) salesman in the company became the worst (least conscientious) saleman in the company, when he was going through a rough divorce. Then there's people who are lacking conscientiousness until they get a girlfriend and/or get married. They both were lacking conscientiousness when single, and both were conscientious when married. Which one is conscientious and which ones are not?

Then there's the guy who is always on time, but never pays back his debts, and is an a-hole, the guy who is great fun to be with, but never on time, and never pays back his debts and the guy who always pays his debts, but is perpetually running late, and always sounds like a real jackass. Which ones are conscientious and which ones are not?

Also, if you look around, it's pretty easy to find people who are always on time, and people who are always late. But the person who is always late, is usually patient, while the people who is always on time, usually gets angry with anyone who is late for them. Which one is conscientious and which one is not?

Thanks, that is informative.

I was more interested in the differences between J and P, though.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
From a biological level, it's a bit more complicated, as it involves the combinations of multiple biological systems. But behaviourally, there's 2 types of self-sustaining behaviours:

1) The person who always gets the job done, but has to be pretty difficult sometimes to get the job done. Their friends and colleagues often overlook the occasional difficulties with the person, because they can be relied upon. But that means that the more extreme their attitude, the more they are reliable, and the more they are valued.

2) The person who is usually easy-going, and would rather not always get the job done, because he'd rather take a more relaxed and easy-going attitude to life. Their friends and colleagues often overlook the occasional screw-up, because they are so easy to get on with. But that means that the more extreme their attitude, the more they are easy to get on with, and the more they are valued.

Both are valued in society, but for different reasons, and consequently for different ways. More importantly, the feedback they get from their behaviours tend to reward being even more and more J or more and more P.

Old Things

Local time
-->
From a biological level, it's a bit more complicated, as it involves the combinations of multiple biological systems. But behaviourally, there's 2 types of self-sustaining behaviours:

1) The person who always gets the job done, but has to be pretty difficult sometimes to get the job done. Their friends and colleagues often overlook the occasional difficulties with the person, because they can be relied upon. But that means that the more extreme their attitude, the more they are reliable, and the more they are valued.

2) The person who is usually easy-going, and would rather not always get the job done, because he'd rather take a more relaxed and easy-going attitude to life. Their friends and colleagues often overlook the occasional screw-up, because they are so easy to get on with. But that means that the more extreme their attitude, the more they are easy to get on with, and the more they are valued.

Both are valued in society, but for different reasons, and consequently for different ways. More importantly, the feedback they get from their behaviours tend to reward being even more and more J or more and more P.

Thanks. Based on this, I am definitely a P. I tend to fail to commit far too often. It is a miracle I was able to write a book, which is a topic for another time. I am not a "Get 'r' done" type of person at all.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
I'm INTP, but my style is I'm flexible and can do maximum if its my job to do that. I want it to look smooth and get it done seamlessly, so the idea is to prioritize whats first, whats second and make it look easy. I'm the opposite of Type A, I usually try to do it ALL and then help those around me.
I'm hard on myself to complete a task quickly. I'm easy and patient with people and try to teach them what works and communicate well interpersonally. If I have three bosses each wanting something done right now, I tell them exactly when they will have it, so none knows about the other. I will have this ready at 2pm, or by end of day or by Wednesday at 10. Or, I ask, which is more important to complete first if I'm not sure.
Then I whirlwind through it. I value getting a job done fast and accurately when I'm paid for it. When its just me, as far as study goes, I can procrastinate until 2 hours before a final and read super fast to get the jist of it for example. I can prioritize what is most important and take them out one by one, but I do not act like that towards others, I assist and I get it done before anyone because I just want it out of the way. So, the P is for me, the J is for a job that I'm salaried for because I figure thats why I'm being paid to make it work like clockwork. I use N intuition when I have to set up company meetings to intuit the right day and time, or to guess things, and it comes in very handy to just know if a conference with 30 people, a calendar date will work or not based on my feeling about it. At home, I prefer to tackle a small area at a time and don't care since its just me. On holidays, though, I want to cook every possible dish with 8 or 9 courses even if its just me. So, it depends. It comes in handy to be able to switch according to what you need or want. I can be very S and detailed if I want to be. But I am NOT extroverted unless I'm on travel, or I'm driving on the road, as travel makes me feel super uninhibited, free of everything and everyone in adventure mode. Like it doesn't matter what you do because you are invisible and nobody knows you as a total free spirit.

Can’t take a good photo of eclipse with iPhone.

Attachments

• IMG_4398.jpeg
    IMG_4398.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4406.jpeg
    IMG_4406.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

LOGICZOMBIE

welcome to thought club
Local time
-->
The MBTI keeps typing me as INTP and INTJ.

this is quite common actually

P to J is not a binary light-switch

it's more of a spectrum

and it sound like you're likely near the 50% mark

often INTPs will act more like INTJs when presented with a specific task

but in their "natural state" (off-the-clock) are more open to wild ideas and slow to draw hard conclusions

soft conclusions abound

Top Bottom