• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

I'm no different from a can of pineapple

Local time
Today 9:03 PM
-->
Hello. Intp female here. Lately I keep joining intp forums because I feel dire need to communicate with like-minded people.
interested in cinema (love andrei tarkovsky, as my username suggests) and books.
im a third year architecture engineering student who is thoroughly disappointed with engineering...it is slowly causing me brain death due to how monotonous and boring the curriculum is...
i feel like I have nothing I really want to do. And I hate how we are pressured by society to choose one field and stick to it.
Sorry for the rant :(
I wish I knew any intp girls in real life...sigh...

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
Today 1:03 PM
-->
I'm intrinsically luminous, mortals. I'm 4ever
ya specialization is for insects

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 4:03 AM
-->
Welcome zerkalo.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Tomorrow 5:03 AM
-->
female architects are hot

welcome welcome ^^

Teffnology

Valar Morghulis
Local time
-->
Grass Valley, CA (small town near Sacramento)
Welcome.

Being on a track in college is one of the more frustrating things Ive encountered. My interests would constantly vascilate between what I should be doing (societal and external pressures) and what I felt like doing (dropping out making bank playing poker and becoming a philanthropist), I guess somewhere in the middle is what is best but what is the middle? Fuck if I know, trusting feelings with an inferior Fe has worked out so well for me in the past!

Btw, is the can of delicious pineapple, chunks or slices?

Local time
-->
Welcome.

Being on a track in college is one of the more frustrating things Ive encountered. My interests would constantly vascilate between what I should be doing (societal and external pressures) and what I felt like doing (dropping out making bank playing poker and becoming a philanthropist), I guess somewhere in the middle is what is best but what is the middle? Fuck if I know, trusting feelings with an inferior Fe has worked out so well for me in the past!

Btw, is the can of delicious pineapple, chunks or slices?

crushed lol
i thought it would be fine to go through college and then get a decent job and earn a living to fuel my self-learning process
but now that im a few years away from graduation, i realise it was all wishfull thinking on my part. architecture demands all of my time(and health!! i feel exhausted and drained all the time now), there is little room to work on my self-improvement which i value above everything else.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 2:03 PM
-->
Ooh a fellow afflicted! Not many architects wander in here.

What's the difference in curriculum between architecture and architecture engineering, and why'd you pick the latter?

Local time
-->
Ooh a fellow afflicted! Not many architects wander in here.

What's the difference in curriculum between architecture and architecture engineering, and why'd you pick the latter?

There's a huge difference. Architecture is basically mostly focused only on the artistic part of the design process, whereas architecture engineering is a marriage of arts and engineering. we study things like fluid mechanics, classic mechanics, physics, differential equations etc in addition to design courses

Teffnology

Valar Morghulis
Local time
-->
After reading 75% of the infamous Ask Architect thread on this forum. I think I can speak for Architect, in that what you just described is exactly what he would prescribe as a career for an INTP. Finding that balance in development seems to be however, of self discovery/improvement and practicallity for functioning in society.

Maybe, if finances allow, study abroad for a semester to break up the monotony. Or Ask Architect, thread is closed but he seems to like giving advice.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
Today 4:03 PM
-->
Graduate, shun society, live in forest, read/write/ponder for a few years, return rejuvenated, realize nothing has changed, cry.

Local time
-->
After reading 75% of the infamous Ask Architect thread on this forum. I think I can speak for Architect, in that what you just described is exactly what he would prescribe as a career for an INTP. Finding that balance in development seems to be however, of self discovery/improvement and practicallity for functioning in society.

Maybe, if finances allow, study abroad for a semester to break up the monotony. Or Ask Architect, thread is closed but he seems to like giving advice.

Can you link me to that thread? :o
Yeah I can see why architecture is said to be the ideal career for an INTP. Ideally, it SHOULD be, but reality is something else... :(
First things first; there is a fundamental problem with the engineering part...we study nothing in depth, and that seems to be the case for all architecture engineering schools around the world. So you kind of become the jack of all trades of engineering, you know lots about everything but you have no real understanding of the core concepts.
as for the design part, most of the time u'll find yourself modefying your design according to your doctor's vision and not yours

Teffnology

Valar Morghulis
Local time
-->
http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=15432

It is quite large but Im sure you can find some useful info using the search function.

He fully supports Dr AJ Drenth over at Personality Junkie. For MBTI specifics and such.

http://personalityjunkie.com/

He would likely advise you to graduate and in the meantime do what you love to do, your calling will find you. Pressing the issue just causes inefficiency and angst. That is more or less what I have gathered from a majority of his posts.

I hope this somewhat helps. I have felt your frustrations and can empathize but am in no position to offer advice myself. Except that as an INTP be aware of your Fe and the power it can have if left unchecked.

Nick

Frozen Fighter
Local time
Today 11:03 PM
-->
If you were given two million dollars to design anything over the course of 4 years, what would you focus on?

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 2:03 PM
-->
i feel like I have nothing I really want to do. And I hate how we are pressured by society to choose one field and stick to it.
I know this feeling. My degrees are all in different fields, and I've had a few different "careers" already. But, as a sacrifice, I go into everything prepared to settle for lower-end salaries. Fluttering around means you don't have time to accumulate the stack of licenses and certifications that earn you a special title and higher pay.

Architectural engineering, once you have all of your credentials in place, will be a lucrative and stable career. So unless you're as restless as I am, it's probably an ideal career choice. You'll just have to have a series of interesting hobbies on the side to sate your curiosity. :)

Direwolf

Local time
Tomorrow 6:03 AM
-->
I like pineapple even when its in a can.

Teax

huh?
Local time
Today 10:03 PM
-->
First things first; there is a fundamental problem with the engineering part...we study nothing in depth, and that seems to be the case for all architecture engineering schools around the world. So you kind of become the jack of all trades of engineering, you know lots about everything but you have no real understanding of the core concepts.
Isn't this a good thing? In depth courses tend to force-teach in a way that is potentially incompatible with INTP. While shallow courses tend to provide a foundation sufficient to make your own way depper where and when you're interested. (and some free time to maybe actually do it?).

hmm-should-i-do-something-productive-today-comic.jpg

Local time
-->
Isn't this a good thing? In depth courses tend to force-teach in a way that is potentially incompatible with INTP. While shallow courses tend to provide a foundation sufficient to make your own way depper where and when you're interested. (and some free time to maybe actually do it?).

hmm-should-i-do-something-productive-today-comic.jpg

The problem is we don't start from the beginning. We just jump to the advanced stuff to study the part that we need in order to create a structurally correct design. So yeah we learn rules and formulae but we have no real understanding of the core concepts. Eg. In differential equations we didn't learn proofs for most of the rules, we were taught which rule to apply for each type of equation. in other words, we were memorising stuff we don't understand. I tried to do side reading on some of the courses, but I found that, in most cases, I had to start from the beginning...that made me lose all volition to read anything.

my friend(intj) who is a math major also said that the courses they had in common with engineering students were all dull and deficient compared to their major-exclusive courses.

Teax

huh?
Local time
Today 10:03 PM
-->
so if it were mandatory in your course to start from the beginning, you think you'd have more enthusiasm doing this beginner stuff?

my friend(intj) who is a math major also said that the courses they had in common with engineering students were all dull and deficient compared to their major-exclusive courses.

had a similar experience :D

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
Architectural engineering, once you have all of your credentials in place, will be a lucrative and stable career. So unless you're as restless as I am, it's probably an ideal career choice. You'll just have to have a series of interesting hobbies on the side to sate your curiosity. :)

I agree. It sounds like you (addressing zerkalo now) are almost finished. I'd stick it out for those last 1-3 more years and start making plans to take a significant break after you graduate. Take some time to plot your next moves while experiencing life outside of university. You're burned out now. But getting this out of the way early is going to significantly benefit you and whatever your aspirations ultimately end up being later on.

Take it from me. For various reasons I spent most of my early 20s dodging any kind of hard work in order to spend all my free time intellectually wanking and following my curiosity wherever it led. I had a lot of fun but I'm totally paying for it now... back in school for the millionth time to take a bunch of math with kids a decade younger than me in order to get to where I want to be.

The problem is we don't start from the beginning. We just jump to the advanced stuff to study the part that we need in order to create a structurally correct design. So yeah we learn rules and formulae but we have no real understanding of the core concepts. Eg. In differential equations we didn't learn proofs for most of the rules, we were taught which rule to apply for each type of equation. in other words, we were memorising stuff we don't understand. I tried to do side reading on some of the courses, but I found that, in most cases, I had to start from the beginning...that made me lose all volition to read anything.

Okay, this does suck. I can see why you are feeling frustrated.

Xoanon

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The most powerful thing an INTP can do is to front load all of the pain, to use your intellect to get as far as fast as possible and then reap the benefits.

My friends who are brilliant but partied in their 20's deeply regret those choices and are digging out from being so SOL.

Top Bottom