• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Adaptive vs Directive to the extreme

LPolaright

Mentalist
Local time
Today 8:55 PM
-->
I just reread Cognitive Functions 100 that Adymus wrote.
(If you wonder where did the words come from:
Adaptive and Directive functions:

An MBTI Judging type is a personality type that has directive functions as their dominant and auxiliary functions. An MBTI Perceiving type is a personality type that has Adaptive functions as their dominant and auxiliary functions.

Directive functions all either have an agenda that wants to be pushed into reality (Worldview) or are meant to translate internal data into an objective and structured action (Dynamics). The Directive types are considered the most structured and schedule oriented, although different directive functions yield different manifestations of directivity. Directive types are action oriented, even when not directly taking action; they are mapping out what actions need to be taken. If we were to split Directive and Adaptive into the Yin and Yang, the directive types and function would be Yang, as directive functions are oriented toward creating an agenda, than pushing toward that agenda.
Adaptive functions all either take in information as it is currently happening, or processing information that is occurring in the present. The adaptive functions harbour a person’s concept of present, and change as it is occurring now. These functions are all reactionary in that they “go with the flow” as opposed to directing the flow. The adaptive functions and adaptive types would be “yin”, in that are oriented toward moving with an agenda as opposed to pushing their own.

Directive types have a concern for where things are going; “is this going in a direction that I don’t want it to go in?” They set boundaries to direct others to move in certain directions, and avoid other ones. If personality type’s dominant and auxiliary functions are directive functions, then they are considered Directive (Or J) types. The Directive types must reach over to their right brain functions in order to adapt and freeform when they need to, although this is draining for them.
Adaptive types have a curiosity for where things are going; “Is this going to go somewhere interesting?” They can be much more inviting and disarming in their pursuit of free formed and open ended flow of what is happening now. If personality type’s dominant and auxiliary functions are adaptive functions, then they are considered Adaptive (Or P) types.

)

My question is as follows:

What could cause our psyche to be too Adaptive or too Directive? And what could this cause us? And how is being successful or failure could affect us when we are at that state?

(this started out as one question but when I wrote the answer I found out there a bit more parameters and values that I didn't think of)

When talking about extreme Adapting:
Yielding ourselves to the environment and absorb everything, even what we don't agree with, and let that shape us to eventually agreeing with the environment. Extreme makeover to the inside, in order to adjust to the outside. As an Israeli I know of the sentence "Swimming in a pool of shit" to be fitting here, but I couldn't find parallel sayings in English.

When talking about extreme Directing:
Enforcing all our values and perception on to the outside environment - OCD for example. Not regarding the consequences of the consequences you seek for (That sounds rather logical to me) - as in not putting into account what will your enforcement of internal values would eventually lead to in the environment.

My theory (in order to avoid bias, I put it in a spoiler):

Extreme Adapting could be a result of feeling necessity in situations and survival instincts. For example when I got drafted to the IDF I had to get use for locking away my freedom. But even then I wasn't fully yielding control, I was still navigating and trying to express my freedom in every way possible.

Could there be a situation where you would yield your control entirely? I think this should be a result of the above situation with extreme fear or phobia. The thought that any change could lead to devastating results even though we are actually getting used to the devastating results. This is exactly what I did in bootcamp.

As to what it could cause us if successful, it would be being prone to control. Being just a vessel that the environment could play with. And quite possibly and the most fearful situation where someone could - brain washing you?

If a failure to adapt occurs I would assume that we would be conscious to the fact that we were trying to adapt and creating a bad self image to ourselves as hypocrites (reflection on this process) and then probably trying again until we succeed in being adapt and then convincing ourselves these where actually our values on the first place (rationalizing).

Extreme Directing could be a result of feeling lack of control over the environment, as though it conspires against us, feeling of a threat. This would probably lead us to enforce a safe solution for us, while not regarding other people's feelings in the matter.

Extreme manipulation and cunning that is fearing an unknown and possibly non-existent threat if successful at the task in hand. It could result in a lot of hate from the environment and extreme fear of any kind of change to the system. Being stressed out and alert at all times.

If a failure occurs they would most probably try again but this time with frustration and anger at the surrounding, giving an even more harsh image of the outside place they are trying to enforce upon - thus giving them more motivation to change it to their likings.

Top Bottom