• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

An epidemic

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Tomorrow 3:42 AM
-->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFzCBbOXKc

Hey look. You get good grades in school. So if you're so smart... then why are you hitting yourself?

Hey look. You're not getting good grades any more, are you? So then, why are you still hitting yourself?

Why, it's almost as if you're being controlled! Oh. My.

Imagine that. Your older brother, your best friend, -controlling- you? Actively trying to make sure you're damaged as much as possible? Why would anyone do that exactly?

I guess faith in humanity = gone, huh.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 7:42 PM
-->
work of genius
think about that

it all starts when we are taught heavy concepts like free will, control, responsibility and guilt (all understood as one complex) - it doesn't take more than this ideology, doesn't necessarily take being beaten by the own parents, once you have fallen for the the ideology, every frustration you experience in life is caught in a circle of the self-hating self concept , which is the believe in responsibility, it boils you until you turn it on someone else. the few ones who don't go to war of sorts, as a result of boiling over, are the ones who had some sort of natural wisdom, that prevented at least a small part in them from believing in this ideology, or the ones who had one parent who partially taught them by example that life and self can be interpreted differently. these ones are boiling too, but not as hot, so they boil over less often.

we meditate on the nature of our self-concepts, while acting them out (and mostly only then) and we have a hard wired need for such self-exploration, that's why.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
Work of pathology*

But nice try.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
Today 1:42 PM
-->
It happens far more often, I find, that one is fully aware he is in control of himself, and yet he still continues to damage himself. Yet, this self-inflicted damage is not necessarily forced upon him by other people; it is instead directly inflicted upon himself by himself without any direct external manipulation.

It is quite regrettable that people with certain predispositions or who have gone down certain roads eventually end up losing the will to resist, for even if that resistance changes nothing it is the intentions of change that matters. The resistance against chaos, decay, and death will produce in a man certain virtues... or perhaps these virtues will yield resistance. That's not really the point. The point is that it seems a sufficiency of wisdom will leave one with the tendency to not act. But for whatever reason (I suspect it is because the lack of action goes against the base instincts and will), he will then become depressed or downcast as a result.

I am not at all trying to say that inaction isn't wise, in some cases even the most wisest thing, but I would like to also point out that if one were to go a little further he would possess sufficient wisdom to know that at some times action is actually the wisest decision. But above all else, there must be a balance: one must gauge which is the right time to remain inert and which is the right time to act.

Passions help. There is much wisdom to be gained through rigorous analysis and logical study, but there is also much wisdom to be gained from... something altogether different. Something that I cannot explain or name.

This rant was my response to the text in the OP and nanook's post. After that flood of thoughts came about, I watched the video. And let me tell you, it makes no fucking sense.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
You'll get no such thing from me, as if I'd know how to condense that post in the first place. Stop being inane and read, or do not. As far as I'm concerned, there is no middle ground.

EDIT: I realize now you might not have been requesting a "tl;dr." I've been on the internet too long, whatever. My point still stands.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
EDIT: I realize now you might not have been requesting a "tl;dr."

Not sure what this means.

Anyways, cya l8r. lollylops

HiddenScholar

Gentlemen
Local time
-->
well is it just me or was that one of the funniest things ive seen in a while, made even funnier by your serious posts (even though they are valid points)

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:42 AM
-->
Not a day goes by that in which I don't tell myself to shut up at least once, not me specifically, rather it's directed at that self conscious part of me that always feels the need to contribute in the least helpful way. I guess it's like trying not to think of elephants, the harder you try the more you focus on elephants and the more you fail at not thinking about elephants, on a subconscious level that is.

Consciously I keep my attention away from elephants by thinking about robots, all day every day, when I'm in the dentist's chair I'm thinking about robots, when I'm talking to a girl with stupefying eyes I think about robots, when I'm feeling anxious I think about robots.

Sometimes I think about space.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 10:42 AM
-->
Not a day goes by that in which I don't tell myself to shut up at least once, not me specifically, rather it's directed at that self conscious part of me that always feels the need to contribute in the least helpful way. I guess it's like trying not to think of elephants, the harder you try the more you focus on elephants and the more you fail at not thinking about elephants, on a subconscious level that is.

Consciously I keep my attention away from elephants by thinking about robots, all day every day, when I'm in the dentist's chair I'm thinking about robots, when I'm talking to a girl with stupefying eyes I think about robots, when I'm feeling anxious I think about robots.

Sometimes I think about space.

Robot elephants in space. :borg::elephant::starwars:

Top Bottom