• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Best work advice for INTPs that get bored easily?

Cubozoan

Redshirt
Local time
Today 7:17 PM
-->
I'm bored of being bored at work. I'm getting to the age where I can no longer keep changing jobs.

I was thinking about programming but I'm just scared that a little down the line typing code will get a bit stale. Unless I'm mistaken?

Any of you in a long term job that keeps presenting new problems to solve and is a constant learning experience?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I think "programming" is a far too general term to use here. The nature of programming varies quite a bit between different types of programming. I can imagine, for example, that web programming is more germane to "typing code" than other forms of programming, although I don't have any expertise in that. It also depends on what sort company you work for. If it's a big corporation, I guess you're more likely to be hired for some very specific task, which make the work more monotonous.

I personally work mostly with scientific programming – implementing algorithms etc, which requires things like computer science knowledge, applied math etc. That is definitely nowhere near merely "typing code" as you have to use your brain in very demanding and new ways all the time. It requires constantly learning new things, new theory, reading academic papers, etc. I have definitely never felt bored from it. To me it's like crack.

baccheion

Local time
Today 2:17 PM
-->
Ne users aren't usually happy unless they work for themselves (freelancer, contractor, founder, etc). Almost all jobs get boring within a year, except programming. On the other hand, most programming jobs are basic, draining, and pointless (ie, more boredom and dissatisfaction).

Now is the time to start looking into supplements that allow pushing through boredom (modafinil/adrafinil, selegiline, etc) while at work and getting on a track that allows regular hours and a path to more money.

Software Engineering is one of the best paying career paths and is mostly immune to any AI/automation. On the other hand, it's harder to find employment when over 35, so many either enter management in anticipation, or try to get rich/independent founding their own thing. As you may be able to guess, entering management is painful for many INTPs.

I also strongly recommend not working at a company with more than 201-500 people (259 is ideal) unless it's the first job out of college, as smaller companies are like a small town and more vulnerable/unstable and larger companies are usually ridden with politics/BS and meaningless/irrelevant work.

Again, stimulation comes mostly from activities done outside work. I've never grown tired of programming, but I've never enjoyed a programming job (even one at Google-- what a waste of time). Things may be different now, but all I did while at work was have idiot managers constantly get in my way and stomp out anything I tried to do. No freedom, nothing worth working on, no point to anything being worked on, everything around was clearly going nowhere, long hours, underwheming pay relative to what's advertised (not on an absolute scale) and to others, and any attempt to do anything was met with violent reactions.

If you find a good software shop (usually one that produces software for medium-sized companies, but now there are review/match sites like Good&Co, Glassdoor, and Comparably), then it may be enough, especially with reasonable hours, until you get home and work on what you want to work on.

Selegiline is a good thing to know about, as it increases motivation. Also, SEMAX + selank + alpha-GPC alternated/cycled (5 days on, 2 days off, 4 weeks) with p21/cerebrolysin. And a good multivitamin like AOR Ortho-Core. And Doctor's Best Real Krill Enhanced with EPA & DHA.

Last edited:

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 1:17 PM
-->
Ne users aren't usually happy unless they work for themselves (freelancer, contractor, founder, etc). Almost all jobs get boring within a year, except programming. On the other hand, most programming jobs are basic, draining, and pointless (ie, more boredom and dissatisfaction).

Now is the time to start looking into supplements that allow pushing through boredom (modafinil/adrafinil, selegiline, etc) while at work and getting on a track that allows regular hours and a path to more money.

Software Engineering is one of the best paying career paths and is mostly immune to any AI/automation. On the other hand, it's harder to find employment when over 35, so many either enter management in anticipation, or get rich founding their own thing. As you may be able to guess, entering management is painful for many INTPs.

I also strongly recommend not working at a company with more than 201-500 people (259 is ideal) unless it's the first job out of college, as smaller companies are like a small town and more vulnerable/unstable and larger companies are usually ridden with politics and BS.

Again, stimulation comes mostly from activities done outside work. I've never grown tired of programming, but I've never enjoyed a programming job (even one at Google-- what a waste of time). Things may be different now, but all I did while at work was have idiot managers constantly get in my way and stomp out anything I tried to do. No freedom, nothing worth working on, no point to anything being worked on, everything around was clearly going nowhere, long hours, underwheming pay relative to what's advertised (not on an absolute scale) and to others, and any attempt to do anything else was met with violent reactions.

Who do you advertise for?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

baccheion

Local time
-->
@baccheion I suppose your recommendations would carry more weight if you referenced the actual papers rather than going "go check out PubMed"
Baccheion's Nootropics Co.
IDEK if you are serious or not, which is kinda sad.
I can't remember the last time you didn't bring up supplements in one of your posts.

I'm not advertising anything and I'm not affiliated with anything. I'm not sure why many seem to think I am. Is it the mention of supplements/nootropics? I mention them because they are great if you find the right ones.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I'm not advertising anything and I'm not affiliated with anything. I'm not sure why many seem to think I am. Is it the mention of supplements/nootropics? I mention them, because they are great if you find the right ones.

Uh huh. They also have no scientific backing that they actually work.

baccheion

Local time
-->
I can't remember the last time you didn't bring up supplements in one of your posts.
Uh huh. They also have no scientific backing that they actually work.
You are incorrect, especially regarding the ones I mentioned. I think this was already discussed in another thread. I remember even showing how to search PubMed for studies.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
@baccheion to clarify - that wasn't meant as a hostile joke. I like nootropics (although I have only relied on caffeine so far)

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
You are incorrect, especially regarding the ones I mentioned. I think this was already discussed in another thread. I remember even showing how to search PubMed for studies.

Sure, but if you are looking for something, you are going to find it. If you are looking for both what you are looking for and the opposite of what you are looking for, you will get a better picture of what is actually happening. I have only seen science say nootropics have nothing scientifically proven to work about them.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
@baccheion to clarify - that wasn't meant as a hostile joke. I like nootropics (although I have only relied on caffeine so far)

Hey, I guess I like nootropics too since I also like caffeine in the form of chocolate, tea, and coffee.

baccheion

Local time
-->
Sure, but if you are looking for something, you are going to find it. If you are looking for both what you are looking for and the opposite of what you are looking for, you will get a better picture of what is actually happening. I have only seen science say nootropics have nothing scientifically proven to work about them.
Hey, I guess I like nootropics too since I also like caffeine in the form of chocolate, tea, and coffee.

Do you take caffeine with L-theanine? I'm not a fan of caffeine; even acetyl L-carnitine (+ Na-R-ALA + alpha-GPC) is better. Relentless Improvement sells all 3 (again, no affiliation).

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Do you take caffeine with L-theanine? I'm not a fan of caffeine; even acetyl L-carnitine (+ Na-R-ALA + alpha-GPC) is better. Relentless Improvement sells all 3 (again, no affiliation).

I have no idea what chemical that is. How does it work in the brain?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I drink a lot of energy drinks which have L-theanine added. I've also read that green tea contains it, which I also drink quite a lot. I think it has a noticable effect, as you don't get as jittery as with pure caffeine.

baccheion

Local time
-->
I have no idea what chemical that is. How does it work in the brain?
I drink a lot of energy drinks which have L-theanine added. I've also read that green tea contains it, which I also drink quite a lot. I think it has a noticable effect, as you don't get as jittery as with pure caffeine.
It is an amino acid (protein). Alpha-GPC is a choline (formerly vitamin B4) precursor. Na-R-ALA (alpha lipoic acid) is an antioxidant. Together, they raise acetylcholine, norepinephrine, dopamine (mildly due to alpha-GPC), and eventually serotonin.

Now that I think about it, even AOR Ortho-Core (complete multivitamin) may be enough to make caffeine irrelevant. It contains Na-R-ALA, EGCg (green tea extract), coq10, etc.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
It is an amino acid (protein). Alpha-GPC is a choline (formerly vitamin B4) precursor. Na-R-ALA (alpha lipoic acid) is an antioxidant. Together, they raise acetylcholine, norepinephrine, dopamine (mildly due to alpha-GPC), and eventually serotonin.

Now that I think about it, even AOR Ortho-Core (complete multivitamin) may be enough to make caffeine irrelevant. It contains Na-R-ALA, EGCg (green tea extract), coq10, etc.

Not what I asked.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I think it has been shown that performance in intelligence tests is very much correlated with levels of noradrenaline (aka norepinephrine) released in the subject's brain. E.g. caffeine raises noradrenaline I believe. The problem with caffeine is that it also makes you very excited and jittery. L-theanine counteracts that by having a calming effect so the result is more focus.

baccheion

Local time
-->
Not what I asked.
As I said, it is an amino acid (acetyl L-carnitine).

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116651161&p=336479431&viewfull=1#post336479431

https://examine.com/supplements/l-carnitine/

https://examine.com/supplements/alpha-gpc/

https://examine.com/supplements/alpha-lipoic-acid/

I think it has been shown that performance in intelligence tests is very much correlated with levels of noradrenaline (aka norepinephrine) released in the subject's brain. E.g. caffeine raises noradrenaline I believe. The problem with caffeine that it also makes you very excited and jittery. L-theanine countetacts that by having a calming effect so the result is more focus.

SEMAX may not outright increase IQ. On the other hand, it tends to increase verbal fluidity, processing speed, learning speed, focus, motivation, etc. That is, it stabilizes what potential is already available and generally results in the same conclusion being reached faster. It can cause hairline recession in those predisposed (have genetic mutations related to male-pattern baldness).

http://www.smarternootropics.com/semax/

Last edited:
Top Bottom