• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Introduce yourselves..

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 6:12 AM
-->
Is this a self-portrait?

I guess we know who's really on the throne! President Gopher is just your political puppet!

Why I... well... uh... I'm appalled at this bit of mentally flatulent whimsy!
and after I toiled so endlessly to get Mister Gopher elected too.

FALSE MEDIA STRIKES AGAIN

Note: That is not my hand you see working Mister Gopher's mouth. See? I can drink a glass of water while he's still talking!

and now for my next trick

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 6:12 AM
-->
I've thought like that - but then you see someone pass away and instead of thinking about the futility of their existence, look at the people who mourn them. That person has affected the lives of many people; many of which aren't even present. People think that in 100 years no one will remember them - and while that's technically true for many of us, it's those little effects on lives that get passed on. Little snippets of wisdom you accumulate that someone remembers and passes on, acts of kindness that make someone feel the need to do the same some time, or you change the course of their life.

I know that sounds like a ridiculously romantic fallacy, but think that in college I stopped to speak to a girl with anorexia and remained friends with her during recovery - 15 years later she found me on Facebook and messaged me to say how she is doing. That I'm sure is something that happens to a lot of us - so it shows that you can affect people's lives for long afterwards. Imagine the accumulated effect on the world.

It seems fair enough.

Kind of the "drop in the ocean" fallacy. The ocean doesn't exist without drops of water (albeit many of them) and in fact all the motion of the ocean needs the individual droplets, but you can feel pretty small and insignificant as a water droplet in a wide ocean and wonder if it anything matters or if you can contribute anything worthwhile.

Most of us only get smaller spheres of influence in our lives... the people we contact, the people we run into on a daily basis or even on a one-time basis and never see again. A few of us are fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to have more global influences. Sometimes you wonder if a particular contact matters, but sometimes you can remember events with a person whose name you don't even recall, but something they said or did sticks in your head for years after and/or becomes meaningful as you process your own existence and purpose. Not everyone can be a galactic-level hero but it doesn't minimize the reality you currently have life and volition and can pursue things important to you or enjoy the experience.

I used to have a lot of expectations and dreams for my life... although they were too vague for me personally to accomplish much with, unfortunately. Yes, I usually feel disappointed on some level, but I've eased up and realized I'm just a person like everyone else and maybe my expectations were too high for myself. It wasn't for lack of trying. But it's okay just to find something I like doing and simply do it and enjoy doing it, and to try to contribute who I am to the people around me as best I can.

Or as another example: It's okay for Gandalf to tell Frodo that small politically insignificant people matter, yada yada yada, it's just a line from a book or movie; and it helps small people feel significant; but the reality is Frodo was still chosen to bear that damn Ring to Mt. Doom. He got to play a really big role and was a major contributor to saving the world. The reality is that a lot of people just really do have only local influence and will never get to carry that Ring, but you can still enjoy life and do things with excellence.

For me, though, it's not that feeling. It's the innate knowledge of my inherent separation and distance from all that is around me. Like the feeling of spending life looking through a window at the rest of the world and knowing I can't truly be a part of it - probably a common thing for us INTP's.
That one is a bitch.

I do think it's more of a "perspective" thing. You really don't have less or more ability to "be a part of things" than any other human in the world. However, you expect a lot more / have far higher requirements as to what it means to be "part of humanity" so other people just assume they are part of humanity, while you're always evaluating whether you are and you're acutely aware of any natural distance -- the kind of distance that some people overlook or block out of mind.

Regardless, I have said such things myself in the past.... ehhhh.....

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
Today 10:12 AM
-->
I used to have a lot of expectations and dreams for my life... although they were too vague for me personally to accomplish much with, unfortunately. Yes, I usually feel disappointed on some level, but I've eased up and realized I'm just a person like everyone else and maybe my expectations were too high for myself. It wasn't for lack of trying. But it's okay just to find something I like doing and simply do it and enjoy doing it, and to try to contribute who I am to the people around me as best I can.

Yeah, I once had very high aspirations myself. My plan was that the novel I wrote between the age of 16 and 20 would be published, meanwhile I would be a software designer, and it would be so successful that it would be made into a motion picture trilogy, making me my millions and allowing me to make some real differences in the world. And being rich, I could concentrate on writing the myriad of ideas I had and become even richer, but instead of sitting there in 10 mansions arguing with people on twitter I would go out into the world and actually use my money on initiatives that would change lives. As crazy as this sounds, I honestly sought to do it. And even if I couldn't, the thought was what kept me going as I taught myself to write in High School. Now, I genuinely think The Last Warriors would have made a better motion picture trilogy than some of the cack in the cinema these days. But I accept that it is impossible at this point. But who knows - I could still finish my books and get somewhere.

That one is a bitch.

I do think it's more of a "perspective" thing. You really don't have less or more ability to "be a part of things" than any other human in the world. However, you expect a lot more / have far higher requirements as to what it means to be "part of humanity" so other people just assume they are part of humanity, while you're always evaluating whether you are and you're acutely aware of any natural distance -- the kind of distance that some people overlook or block out of mind.

Regardless, I have said such things myself in the past.... ehhhh.....

It may be a state of mind brought on by spending too much time in Ti if you want to put it that way; but I think it's a learned state of mind in my case rather than a self imposed one. I have always been the peripheral outsider wherever I have been and I don't believe this will ever change for me. If ever I've tried to change that, it has not gone well. I simply don't fit in with normal humans. (As depressing as this may be, sometimes I'm not sure I want to. Those normal humans are weird. I mean, I almost every woman I know has complete strangers sending them pictures of their manhood. Like, why? I'd rather be weird and not do things like that.)

Top Bottom