• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Songs you can play on guitar without the 4th string

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
Today 4:23 AM
-->
Apparently "somehow" my 4th string broken while I wasn't home (blame my neighbors's cat, btw), and yes, buying a new string may be easy, but it's like buying anything here, you need to visit at least 10 stores or so to find one (and like 10 times that to find one cheap), and TBH, I'm too lazy for doing so.

So, any ideas?

Just in case you aren't familiar with strings numbers, my guitar is now like this (real pic):

[BIMG]https://i.imgur.com/0PLy0Q6.jpg[/BIMG]​

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
Today 9:23 AM
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
you play same way as always, just imagine there's no lose
you have the bass strings for the backbone and the high for the sauce
i guess you are amateur, so i dunno, imagine you wanna play green day songs or nirvana's, well you could replace the powerchords with the whole major / minor version of it, by using the 1,2 and 3 strings and "filling the void".
there's not much to say really. 4 string might be the coolest string to break.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 6:23 PM
-->
Look up 'Seasick Steve'. He learned to play on a guitar with only 3 strings, so that's what he uses.

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
Today 4:23 AM
-->
you play same way as always, just imagine there's no lose
you have the bass strings for the backbone and the high for the sauce
i guess you are amateur, so i dunno, imagine you wanna play green day songs or nirvana's, well you could replace the powerchords with the whole major / minor version of it, by using the 1,2 and 3 strings and "filling the void".
there's not much to say really. 4 string might be the coolest string to break.

Yeah, it's almost the same (the only thing is trying to play picking riffs right in the middle, but playing if 5 frets upper on 1-2-3 is not that hard).

I also managed to get a new tuning reducing the "void" between 3 and 5 (F Bb - F A F), and thinking about it, you can also play power chords with bars so hell yeah.

Look up 'Seasick Steve'. He learned to play on a guitar with only 3 strings, so that's what he uses.

Well, I'm not that much into country, but that guy's pretty cool.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
Today 1:23 AM
-->
Just play the same stuff you usually do but do what tmb said where you fill in the void with the other strings and then for anything where picking is involved on that string just move over to the same note on the 5th if possible or maybe even just get creative with it and find a new note to pick that might not sound the same but still sounds good. Maybe even better.

I've found that a handy way to get better at guitar is to fuck up on purpose and this seems like a good opportunity.

Top Bottom