• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Agency

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 7:32 PM
-->
Hey guys, I was looking for play-by-post games to play on this forum, and I ran across one called The Agency - it's essentially a mash-up/parody/pastiche of 60's spy shows, with supernatural/Lovecraftian horrors thrown in for good measure. It's quite tongue-in-cheek; I've read the rules and it looks like it could be done over the forum. Is anyone up for playing/directing this?

tom

sihadiya
Local time
Today 11:02 PM
-->
sounds fun. count me in!
In order for this to work though we need people who are going to be here regularly, especially the director...

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
-->
Perfect! Now we just need...two or three more people, I guess. If you don't want to be the director, I guess there's no reason to delay character creation; here's a character sheet to organize it a bit (I guess?)

Also, for anyone who's interested in directing, I have no experience doing something like this - so if anyone wants to step up to it, that's definitely fine by me (however, if no one goes ahead by the time we're starting, I'll give it a shot).

Android

Solyaris
Local time
Today 3:02 PM
-->
I'm probably in.. I'm having shoulder surgery in a week so I'm going to be spending a lot of time in front of the computer.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Tomorrow 12:02 AM
-->
As long as I don't have to be the Director/Gamemaster.

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
-->
Awesome. Looks like we have enough people to start now, and it looks as if I'll be directing this first round at it. Don't know how it'll turn out, but...hey, might as well try.

I guess it's time for everyone to submit their characters now - it's all explained in the guidebook, so...

We have room for one more character if someone wants to jump in now/later on. I think I'll keep the maximum players at five to keep things from going too slowly. Since this is my first time GMing/directing, please tell me if what I'm doing sucks/isn't good/is over-stepping boundaries/or whatever, and I'll try and change what I'm doing. Once all of the characters are set up, we'll be good to go.

EDIT: Right, I just thought of something. To make sure that things go along without lagging too much, the whole "spend a karma point to get +6 awareness" can only be used after your first turn (i.e. you can't use it at the beginning of a battle, because then we'd have to wait for everyone to say, "nope, not doing that.") You can call it into play on your first turn's post, and you'll get +6 awareness on your second turn (or activate it on your second turn to get the bonus on your next turn, etc). The quick-witted bonus will similarly be unable to be activated on the first turn (sorry if this is confusing...)

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Roland Plato von Drakenwaltz

Roland never had it easy in life. His father was the successful German industrialist Ludwig von Drakenwaltz and his mother was the British archeologist Elizabeth Clayworth.
After the first World War the Drakenwaltz clan, whose factories produced steel, was ruined and it is said that Roland's grandfather, Otto von Drakenwaltz, died from a heart attack as he saw his lifework shattered in the ashes. Ludwig was the only male descendant and swore at the grave to rebuild the factories of his father, but he studied linguistics and philosophy and didn't know anything about steel or business in general. For about ten years the company barely survived the rough time in Germany and sometimes just bare luck saved it from becoming a target of the political riots.
Until he met Elizabeth Claywort at the opening of the Pergamon Museum in Berlin in the year 1930. It was love at first sight when the shy and melancholic scholar met the quirky and outgoing archeologist who had a hard time in a business that was dominated by vain wannabe-gentlemen.
Only few months later they married and she moved from London to the Drakenwaltz mansion near Berlin where she was able to continue her studies about some ancient stone tablets she found during an expedition to the Library of Alexandria in northern Egypt.
Ludwig, being a skilled linguist, helped her whenever he had time. It turned out that the stone tablet were mostly law texts which had already been old when they were brought to Alexandria.
But one tablet, so he figured out, was an instruction to summon a powerful spirit that will help everybody who was able to call his name.
In one night in the year 1933, when the his company was short before the eventual ruin, he was foolish enough to summon the demon – of course without consulting his wife. No one knows what exactly happened in this night but it is known that on the next morning a well dressed gentleman appeared. He introduced himself as Erik von Weissenfels, a financial genius that heard of the problems with the steel mills of the Drakenwaltz family and offered his help. From there on von Weissenfels managed the business alone and Ludwig had time to dedicate himself wholly to his and Elizabeth's studies while mostly forgetting about politics, isolated from the outside world that they barely noticed the upcoming Nazi dictature. The Drakenwaltz steel mills became one of the biggest companies in Germany and gained many public contracts.
Except that two housekeepers disappeared without a trace nothing noticeable happened to the Drakenwaltz family – until in 1939 Roland was born. But soon turned out that something was wrong with him. His eyes had different colours, one was red and the other one was green and his first children's nurse went mad after few years.
The Drakenwaltz clan barely noticed the second World War and only after they heard nothing from von Weissenfels and officers of the Allied forces came to him to ask him about his involvements with the Nazis. It turned out that von Weissenfels had connections to the highest members of the Nazi party and that Drakenwaltz steel has been used for weaponry and to build concentration camps. To slaughter millions of innocents.
Although Ludwig has been acquited, he and Elizabeth never recovered from that shock. She, herself with Jewish heritage, died few days after that through a shock. Ludwig sold the Drakenwaltz mansion and only their butler Jacob moved along with them to London where he tried to flee from his past. Erik von Weissenfels appeared often Ludwig's dreams and he began to hear voices.
In the summer of 1951, Ludwig von Drakenwaltz cut his own throat in front of his son.
After that incident Jacob was responsible for the education of Roland and he sent him to the best schools of London.
From when he was little, Roland was fascinated with the morbid and fantastical. His favourite hobby was to collect butterflies. But like his father, he was tortured by nightmares every night and more than once he woke up screaming. Jacob, a former vicar, said that evil spirits haunt the boy and that only the love for God could protect him. So Roland embraced his spiritual side and became a soon a medium but not following any specific religion but only his heart. In school he was often bullied for his odd appearance and his German heritage. He became quiet, melancholic and looked often in bewilderment at his fellows because they never understood when he quoted yet another obscure poet but he learned from Jacob that he should always solve his problems without violence.
Although he tends to be reckless from time to time.
After he finished school he travelled to southern China in disguise because he was told that only there he was able to find a master that could help him to find the strength to hunt down von Weissenfels. He eventually found a mentor that would teach him Tai Chi Jian and after he swore to only wield his blade against the forces of evil and years of hellish training, he went back to England where he studied history and sinister cults. He has always been driven and had never time for friends or women.
Few months ago he met Professor Nina Spencer, a high member of The Agency, and she invited him to work for her. Now he works for The Agency but he prefers to perform his missions alone since he is afraid to endanger his companions with the curse that lies on him.

Concept
Mystic Swordsman who hunts a powerful demon

Skills
Swordsmanship – Excellent
Diplomacy – Good
Acrobatics – Good
Guns – Poor

Bonus
Mysticism

Flaw
Cursed [attracts supernatural beings]

Last edited:

Android

Solyaris
Local time
Today 3:02 PM
-->
o_o. I just have one paragraph.

Agent Name: Johnny Six-Fingers
Concept: Explosives Guru
Skills:
Explosives - Excellent
Chemistry - Good
Brawling - Good
Shotgun - Fair
Hearing - Poor
Driving - Poor
Bonuses:
Quick Witted
Flaws:
Speed Addict
Notes:
Johnny was born with six fingers on each hand and now he only has six left - three on each hand, though he doesn't let this hold him back.His childhood was spent blowing up anything and everything with improvised explosives, which led to the accidents that took his fingers and his hearing. His father was a state-champion trap shooter and he spent a decent amount of time behind the barrel of a shotgun before he started just using the powder and primers in his bombs. His explosives-mania got him kicked out of nearly every school in the state. This got him sent to more than a few disciplinary instiutions where he got into plenty of brawls and picked up a nasty speed habit. He eventually went to work for a demolition company where he learned the ins and outs of explosives of every shape and size. Later, he joined the army where he learned even more about bombs, grenades, and mines of all types while he put his knowledge to good use blowing up Nazis.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Oh well, I looked at the rule book again and it only tells about "normal" super agents but nothing about magicians as PCs. Even after googling this I wasn't able to find such informations so I guess it's not really intended.

So I will rewrite my character to a more normal agent today.

EDIT: Done that.

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
-->
Hehe, those characters look pretty wicked. We're just waiting on Pershire (or someone else) to throw in another one, and then we'll be able to get this on the go (most likely in a separate thread to avoid confusion).

tom

sihadiya
Local time
Today 11:02 PM
-->
Name: Sammy Greenacre
Concept: Karate expert and Jewel thief
Skills:
Excellent: Sneak
Good: Karate
Good: Security
Poor: Intimidation

Flaws: Dislikes others
Bonuses: Quick witted

Sammy was a thief. She was a good thief too, singlehandedly responsible for a string of notorious heists all across Europe. Her early upbringing is somewhat a mystery, even to her, but it is known that she has a brother, Billy Greenacre, who has been missing for three years today.
She became mixed up with the agency after her latest prize turned out to be an ancient artefact of Phna'Rap'Pta resulting in numerous troubling hallucinations, prophecies and general strangeness as part of what Sammy now terms: The Grenoble Affair.
Her past as a lone thief causes her to dislike and distrust help and assistance even from such trustworthy people as those at the Agency...

Top Bottom