• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The one-man-show of the INTP

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
Today 2:52 AM
-->
I've noticed that sometimes, when I really get into the subject, I end up completely dominating a conversation because I keep talking and talking, sometimes temporarily negecting others' responses in between. I'll eventually respond to them, but not before I finish all I wanted to say, and I've found it often leaves others feeling like I really don't care about what they have to say, which is not true. I greatly value discussing topics with other people. I mean, why else would I start talking? Perhaps to just... throw my opinion out there, but, eh, I like hearing other people's views on things.

I do this in improvisational theatre too, somewhat. I make up a sketch, completely act it out, already having other characters and stuff in mind. So I kind of... end up doing a bit of a one-man-show, and disregard others' attempts in that scene. Especially when I find that the audience finds my sketch funny, I can really keep on going for a while. Thinking about it really makes me feel like an obnoxious fool, actually. I mean, sometimes I'll try to give others oppurtunities in the scenes, but eh.

Is this a common thing to do for INTPs? It somehow sounds more like ENTP-ish behavior to me. I'm not even sure how to explain it. Is it arrogance? Egocentrism? Or relatively normal behavior I could just be exaggerating? (This happens quite a lot.)

Capital T

Upsetting the status quo
Local time
Yesterday 8:52 PM
-->
I used to find myself doing that a lot in my early teens. It doesn't sound like introverted or extroverted specific behavior, just a lack of self control. If you think more before you speak, you will find you ramble on less and get to your point quicker. Similarly, I have a tendency to be candid and direct with people in a way that sometimes offends. This seems common among INTP personality types due to an unemotional outlook on what is being said, a lack of empathy and delicacy.

Dapper Dan

Did zat sting?
Local time
Yesterday 7:52 PM
-->
Yeah, I occasionally take over a conversation when the topic turns to something I actually care about. I'll lay out my entire thought process for everyone to hear, which is probably quite extensive. It's rare that I actually get to finish, though, because most people don't want understanding as much as they just want conversation. Even if they do value understanding, they'll likely try to comment on something I said, which can easily keep me from getting to my final point. Oh well :/

The mistake we are making is simply that we assume everyone works the same way that we do. In a room full of INTPs, this kind of conversation (one talker, many listeners at any given time) would be fairly common, I think. Other types don't work that way, though. They want back-and-forth conversation.

Time to put that Ne to good work, I guess.

Jelly Rev

Local time
-->
I've given up having serious convos with most ppl. bc
1. they won't debate with reason
2. I know much more on the subject then them, making their weak points irrelevant
3. They will try to dominate the conversation with tone of voice, body language, gets annoying.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
Today 2:52 AM
-->
I used to find myself doing that a lot in my early teens. It doesn't sound like introverted or extroverted specific behavior, just a lack of self control. If you think more before you speak, you will find you ramble on less and get to your point quicker. Similarly, I have a tendency to be candid and direct with people in a way that sometimes offends. This seems common among INTP personality types due to an unemotional outlook on what is being said, a lack of empathy and delicacy.
I don't know... Is it really lack of self-control? I could keep it under control, but it would just leave me feeling 'unfinished'. And yeah, I have that candid thing too. In a bit of an innocent way though. I always apologize when I notice I've said something that offended some people somehow.

The mistake we are making is simply that we assume everyone works the same way that we do. In a room full of INTPs, this kind of conversation (one talker, many listeners at any given time) would be fairly common, I think. Other types don't work that way, though. They want back-and-forth conversation.

I guess I don't like back-and-forth conversation, because I tend to forget things I wanted to say when the other starts talking. It derails my thoughts a lot.

That sounds familiar Jelly Rev, btw.

Dapper Dan

Did zat sting?
Local time
Yesterday 7:52 PM
-->
I guess I don't like back-and-forth conversation, because I tend to forget things I wanted to say when the other starts talking. It derails my thoughts a lot.
Exactly. Either you can't remember the point you were going to make, or the conversation goes completely off track and never comes back. People don't want to listen to a comprehensive "wall o' text". They'd rather exchange witty anecdotes about whatever.

Hmm. I guess the internet and real life aren't so different after all.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Is this a common thing to do for INTPs? It somehow sounds more like ENTP-ish behavior to me. I'm not even sure how to explain it. Is it arrogance? Egocentrism? Or relatively normal behavior I could just be exaggerating? (This happens quite a lot.)
Dunno. But, something like what you've described occasionally happens to me too.

Dave

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I've noticed that sometimes, when I really get into the subject, I end up completely dominating a conversation because I keep talking and talking, sometimes temporarily negecting others' responses in between. I'll eventually respond to them, but not before I finish all I wanted to say, and I've found it often leaves others feeling like I really don't care about what they have to say, which is not true. I greatly value discussing topics with other people. I mean, why else would I start talking? Perhaps to just... throw my opinion out there, but, eh, I like hearing other people's views on things.

DT I think you've nailed a symptom of INTP's. A living example of it is here where I just go ahead and mouth off failing to wait for interaction. I think the reason is because INTP's when they think about something, are fond of doing it in detail. So who is going to be ready to elaborate or go to the next step? Answer: the very same INTP who is already thinking about it. Other people may be interested and capable but they haven't prepped themselves. For INTP's I would suppose this is not ENTP, but rather an example of questionable Fe.

Top Bottom