• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

ZLAVOJ ZIZEK - Is he an ENTP or INTP ?

DIALECTIC

Local time
Today 6:01 AM
-->
Is he an INTP or ENTP ?

I had been thinking hes ENTP as his use of Ne is just purely amazing (his videos on Youtube and his books are entire databanks to explode any Ne dominant mind !!!)...

However he's extremely chaotic in the way he expresses himself verbally (i have to pause and repause many times, then at times write down what he said to reconstruct his sentence with my own words to be able to get he means), therefore i think he's an INTP ! He's nothing like other ENTPs who have great verbal commands... Then again, maybe he does in his mother tongue, Slovenian ?

Amazing guy though !

Microtonalist

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:01 AM
-->
I would think that philosophy would be an odd career choice for an ENTP. They are usually motivated to apply their skills to far more practical (read: lucrative) ends. I've known a number of professional academic philosophers over the years, and they've all been Is of one sort or another.

viche

Local time
Yesterday 11:01 PM
-->
INTP but his instinct stacking is so/sp. Having social instinct as his first one, he will strive to be more connected socially and culturally, which is visible from his lectures, but this also makes him liable to get mistaken for an extraverted type. (In socionics he would be of LII type.)

IMO this is a portrait of an INTP struggling to incorporate his inferior Fe function into his worldview that is wholly rejecting of it:

He's very high on neuroticism haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg7qdowoemo

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
What is funny is the fact he said he'd rather write than talk... Then even when he writes a book, he realizes afterwards he could have done a much better job and forgot to mention plenty of things so he ends up writing a new book; thats how his latest book on Hegel / Dialectical Materialism (i haven't read it yet, im still stuck with another book of his which blows my Ne every paragraph making me consider perspectives i hadnt yet !) is 1000 pages thick !
Also he always says he doesnt really like answering "stupid questions" and would rather just talk about what he prefers best, and when he does answer a question, he ends up changing the subject to reorient to what he wants to say...

I don't think anyone else ever gave my Ne more stimulation than he... His love for mind busting paradoxes is just one of his kind.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 7:01 AM
-->
ENTP.

Ti-lead wouldn't be content producing so much empty verbiage.

Ne-Si dynamic evident from his obsession with "history".

Goku

Banned
Local time
-->
Is he an INTP or ENTP ?

I had been thinking hes ENTP as his use of Ne is just purely amazing (his videos on Youtube and his books are entire databanks to explode any Ne dominant mind !!!)...

However he's extremely chaotic in the way he expresses himself verbally (i have to pause and repause many times, then at times write down what he said to reconstruct his sentence with my own words to be able to get he means), therefore i think he's an INTP ! He's nothing like other ENTPs who have great verbal commands... Then again, maybe he does in his mother tongue, Slovenian ?

Amazing guy though !

Dunno this guy and haven't seen videos (yet), so I'm responding on that basis, just FYI

Re: INTP or ENTP, his oral speech, is it impromptu or scripted? If impromptu, he is probably INTP. Just using my own experience, but until I write my thoughts down, they are an unorganized mess. Free-speaking often makes me go on tangents and I forget what I was talking about in the first place.

Microtonalist

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:01 AM
-->
INTP but his instinct stacking is so/sp. Having social instinct as his first one, he will strive to be more connected socially and culturally, which is visible from his lectures, but this also makes him liable to get mistaken for an extraverted type. (In socionics he would be of LII type.)

IMO this is a portrait of an INTP struggling to incorporate his inferior Fe function into his worldview that is wholly rejecting of it:

This. This combination is very characteristic of INTPs in the liberal arts and humanities. Those of us in these fields are often overshadowed by our more numerous INTPs brethren in the sciences and technology. But if you hang out with INTP types in fields like philosophy, musicology, art history, etc., this is pretty much how they come across. Some get mistaken for E on account of having lots of practice with teaching and giving presentations. Don't confuse that with genuine extraversion.

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
ENTP.
Ti-lead wouldn't be content producing so much empty verbiage.
Good point here !

His talks are a total mess and my Ti does have to work overtime indeed in order not to give up altogether and penetrate all his "empty verbiage" (sex jokes etc.) to find what i need from them, its very much worth it though !
Also, in one of his talks, in a sentence he said "negativity", which didnt really make sense i thought and yet the sentence itself really "talked" to me... So after thinking and rethinking the sentence in my head, i concluded he didnt actually mean negativity but negatively ! Sadly, he does this plenty of times throughout his talks so pausing many times and thinking a lot is a must.

In fact, paradoxally, at times i prefer his talks to his books or maybe its cos i can do something else at the same time i listen to them ?

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
Just using my own experience, but until I write my thoughts down, they are an unorganized mess. Free-speaking often makes me go on tangents and I forget what I was talking about in the first place.
I am exactly the same as you:

1-Until i write my thoughts i am only conscious / aware of a tiny portion if them: its like they are compressed and i have a very very general abstract idea of them, until i write them (or speak them, to a lesser degree) and then they uncompress ! It is like my thoughts are zipped into an unconscious Zip archive...

2-Tangents yes i do the same especially if i manage to find some interesting AND interested person to talk to about a topic i am passionate about... And just like you (or Zizek !) it takes me an awful lot of work to remember what i was talking about in the first place if i dont forget altogether ! Until later when i remember i forgot to say this or that or i didnt quite use the correct word (like Zizek) which could have been misunderstood and therefore totally changed the meaning of what i wanted to say !

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
nope. he's the thinking equivalent to jackson pollock; total hit-and-miss. also obnoxiously dishonest and egocentric. a pose, reeking of concept-theft.
Thats YOUR opinion...
I does take me about 20 hours to listen / relisten / pausing countless times / take notes / rewrite notes / ponder / reponder each one of his 80min talks...

If you dont do it, maybe then you cant grasp him indeed ! You know what it's like, we tend to be rebuffed by the form (a negative projection of our own !), and yet the contents may have what we need the most !

His amazing way to simplify Hegel and Marx (and adapt them for OUR era) is something i really needed...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VOh3XhdBpTo

Concept thieving, its the 21st century: we all do in order to construct new concepts, however concept simplifications / popularization not everyone does and he does a great job at it.

Also, egocentrism to me is a projection, as the kiddies say: "...the one who says, is !"

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
Thats YOUR opinion...
I does take me about 20 hours to listen / relisten / pausing countless times / take notes / rewrite notes / ponder / reponder each one of his 80min talks...

If you dont do it, maybe then you cant grasp him indeed ! You know what it's like, we tend to be rebuffed by the form (a negative projection of our own !), and yet the contents may have what we need the most !

i know what he means instantly.

my bet is those 20 hours of interpretation are really you making up stuff vaguely related to what he says.

Also, egocentrism to me is a projection, as the kiddies say: "...the one who says, is !"

being acquainted with something isn't the same as being guilty of it.

there is such a thing as processing and overcoming personal weaknesses you know (...?).

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
i know what he means instantly.
Lucky you, i guess you watched a lot of his 1 hour+ videos eh...
You should write books or teach, certainly not hover around on internet message boards you know... The world is waiting for you...

What was it you said ? Egocentric ?

The problem with immature / negative INTPs is they have very few nice words to say about anyone... I know, been there, done it myself, sadly; not sure what it was though ? Unsecurity or maybe a massive ego ? Wait a minute...

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
Lucky you, i guess you watched a lot of his 1 hour+ videos eh...
You should write books or teach, certainly not hover around on internet message boards you know... The world is waiting for you...

What was it you said ? Egocentric ?

The problem with immature / negative INTPs is they have very few nice words to say about anyone... I know, been there, done it myself, sadly; not sure what it was though ? Unsecurity or maybe a massive ego ? Wait a minute...

it's not so hard to understand what he means if you're moderately versed in the nomenclature of political philosophy. i'm certainly not claiming any prodigal status based on that ability. it's just language.

considering your age and your way of dealing with this discussion, you shouldn't be calling other people immature.

is zizek anyone? he seems to be very special to you. which way will you have it? contradiction alert.

Alomoes

Local time
-->
This guy is the proud bearer of the type ENFJ. I know one IRL. He's the talker at the table, always talking some kind of gibberish. I love it.

"It'd be great if I aksed you when MY birthday was" I don't even know. I'm listening intensly, and I still don't even know. I understand if I paid mind to though. He's incredibly healthy. Incredibly so. Zlavoj Zizeck? He hides his pain well. In the first video I watched of him, he mentioned that he was pretty much an outcast. Thus, my misconception that ENFJ was the outcast.

Easily comparable to Wagner
5179.jpg

slavoj-zizek1.jpg

Wagner even had the contraversial views to go with it.

I love Socionics. Just gotta put that Fe in there. Those pictures would be why.

As a note, I don't know what the OP is going with by Ne in his videos. Actually, on second thought, I do. You know how those exploded your mind? You don't do it normally. Normally, it is Ni. He knows this because he knows the rules, like I do. Thus he can use the rules to create quite amazing works. Eventually, he'll learn to target the people least able to comprehend his ideas, and his work will be not so palatable to us anymore. But he's already an outcast in the targeted audiences minds, so it won't work. It is a shame. I wonder if he understands this like I do. I'd have to ask.

But yeah. He's a romanticist. Ask yourself if you are a romanticist. If you are, you are a mistype. :P

If you want to know why, do the research and find out. Unless you are willing to tell me something I don't already know, which is pretty much everything about INTjs. As such, I should migrate to INTp/INTJ forum.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
he could be a fucked up ESTJ. the obnoxious and ergonomically disastrous way he pronounces the letter S just screams "look at my free-spirited quirk. here, have it. i said eat it. one can be however one likes. i am like this. you don't want to be an intolerant person do you?" Te-Ne. reminds me of a co-worker who whistles jolly tunes with ill-concealed spite and pride each time she walks through the corridor. i actually caught the vibe of her Te-Ne back when i met her 8 years ago and didn't even view things through the lens of typology. it's that rigid and domineering fake-laidbackness... a common thing. another co-worker has it too but he does it by proposing useless novelty ideas and deploys a pinch of self-victimizing baby inferior Fi as well.

i know THCHHiTHCHHek is from THCHlovenia and thiTHCH iTHCH THCHuppoTHCHed to be hiTHCH acTHCHent or THCHometink but THCHeriouTHCHly... he's being an ass about it.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
actually i hereby declare that his type is ESTJ without any single doubt

tommarkc

Wizard
Local time
-->
I'm pretty sure he is ESTJ, as Brontosaurie said.
E- he is moving hands as mad. Also, to me it looks like it helps him to get output from outside world. I can't stand him watching him and listening at once.
S- he talks about what already happened, like all the time. Which annoys me, because he criticise, instead to practice into a possiblities in the future. Also, he says about his book that there is only 1 chapter that is theoretically interesting- so other part are examples, and S focuses more on examples than theory.
T- nah, he isn't feeling type. He talks of controversal things. It's clear he's a T, yet I can't really pick a clean example that shows it. maybe because it's too obvious.
J- he is organized, knows how to represent his ideas in his talks, and focus on single examples.

Also, if you need any short translations from slovenian videos, I might be able to help- I'm Slovenian. Also, his "true" name is Slavoj Žižek, Ž is pronounced same as Z, just move tongue at the bottom on your mouth and keep the same shape of your tongue.

viche

Local time
-->
His talks are a total mess and my Ti does have to work overtime indeed in order not to give up altogether and penetrate all his "empty verbiage" (sex jokes etc.) to find what i need from them, its very much worth it though !
Thing is that INTPs come in different subtypes (described here).

There is the Ti-INTP, who places more emphasis of the Ti function. This is the "classical form" of INTP that is logical, systematic, specific, consistent, and introverted. (Also more common on the internet being the more introverted and thoughtful type.)

But then there is the Ne-INTP, who places more emphasis on Ne to get around in this world. Now Ne being a perceiving, irrational, extraverted function makes this type of INTP seem more scattered and appear to be more extraverted (on the surface), such that when Ti-INTP meets the Ne-INTP - the Ti-INTP can't easily make sense of what the Ne-INTP is saying, and goes on to type the Ne-INTP as an ENTP.

Still if you take a close and deeper look, the Ne-INTP is pushed to be more extraverted, while in his nature he is truly an introverted type, which results in a great deal of neuroticism, jitteriness, and anxiety for that person - "be the extravert but not really have what it takes". If you take a look at Zizek - that's precisely how he is. Of course none of the Ti-INTPs are ever going to recognize him as being of the same type simply because he uses his auxiliary intuition so much in service of logic.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 1:01 AM
-->
I am exactly the same as you:

1-Until i write my thoughts i am only conscious / aware of a tiny portion if them: its like they are compressed and i have a very very general abstract idea of them, until i write them (or speak them, to a lesser degree) and then they uncompress ! It is like my thoughts are zipped into an unconscious Zip archive...

2-Tangents yes i do the same especially if i manage to find some interesting AND interested person to talk to about a topic i am passionate about... And just like you (or Zizek !) it takes me an awful lot of work to remember what i was talking about in the first place if i dont forget altogether ! Until later when i remember i forgot to say this or that or i didnt quite use the correct word (like Zizek) which could have been misunderstood and therefore totally changed the meaning of what i wanted to say !

Then you are far more extroverted than me. Even if I try to spell out as much as I possibly can, I end up leaving so much unsaid. My problem is that I cannot get my thoughts out there specific enough to be fully understood - there is always a train of thought that goes deep beyond what is said. I was misunderstood horrible in my youth because of this. Basically, my mind thinks far faster that I could possibly hope to explain.

I can't decide if the person in question is like me in this way or not. He has a ton on knowledge stored in his brain, and I can't tell if it is because of the Si he has or Ne he has that gives him his original ideas.

viche

Local time
-->
Then you are far more extroverted than me. Even if I try to spell out as much as I possibly can, I end up leaving so much unsaid. My problem is that I cannot get my thoughts out there specific enough to be fully understood - there is always a train of thought that goes deep beyond what is said. I was misunderstood horrible in my youth because of this. Basically, my mind thinks far faster that I could possibly hope to explain.

I can't decide if the person in question is like me in this way or not. He has a ton on knowledge stored in his brain, and I can't tell if it is because of the Si he has or Ne he has that gives him his original ideas.
Do you relate more to the Ne-INTP (INTj) description than then Ti subtype?

http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=LII_subtypes

DrExcelsior

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I would think that philosophy would be an odd career choice for an ENTP. They are usually motivated to apply their skills to far more practical (read: lucrative) ends. I've known a number of professional academic philosophers over the years, and they've all been Is of one sort or another.

ENTPs can be highly philosophical, though we often hopscotch from system to system, as Zizek does. There are some academic ENTPs, including myself, in the humanities working low wages because we're more interested in ideas than making coin. Zizek has a natural flair for self promotion, handles an audience well despite his tics, is making good money. His book output is organised and readable, but he increasingly repurposes columns etc as books - a quite Entpish short cut. Sexually he is clearly an unreconstructed old goat... Check out his wife, dude is seriously punching. He loves jokes and absurd forms of rebellion like keeping his clothes in the kitchen drawers. He wears slogan like T shirts "I prefer not to" etc. His haywire free form association is clearly storming Ne, barely tied down by a brilliant mind well schooled in traditional disciplines of thinking (Hegel, Marx, lacan) which is driven to move beyond. I diagnose ENTP (Michel Foucault too)

Top Bottom