• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Defending Thanos?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:20 PM
-->
An optimal distribution of resources would undoubtedly solve the problems of hunger, poverty and inequality, indeed with more people able to work and being compensated fairly for their work I'd expect to see a significant increase in productivity.

However this doesn't solve the Darwinism problem, aside from the fact that people actively seek inequality (to be better off than our peers and thus more desirable to associate with) which essentially precludes any such egalitarian utopia from existing (with humans anyway) because we would destroy it as it is our nature to do so. If the global population does grow and for reasons I'm going to explain it almost certainly will, the will inevitably come a time when we will reach our planet's carrying capacity and with an optimal distribution of resources we won't have any fat in the budget, no resources that can be reallocated to building the sort of infrastructure we'd need to get off world.

Perhaps if well managed this utopia of weirdly selfless humans will see this deadline coming and take appropriate measures, perhaps they will expand out into the solar system, the galaxy, the universe and perhaps even the endless multiverse.
I mean you'd hope so, because if they don't this utopia just isn't sustainable.

Not that capitalism is a paragon of sustainability either.

Lets get back to population growth, sure its been observed that developed nations have less population growth and for some there's even been a decline, does this mean prosperity for all will result in an overall declining population which creates a positive feedback loop of prosperity and depopulation until we die out from sheer decadence?
Damn that would be amazing, we should totally do that.

Unfortunately I doubt it, natural selection favors breeders, so long as there is someone somewhere with a genetic predisposition towards having lots of kids the breeders will eventually out-breed everybody else and population growth will continue, mother Gia wants more grandchildren and she will not be denied. (unless Skynet intervenes)

No I think declining populations are symptomatic of capitalism and how ruthless developed nations are, it's no coincidence that the wealthiest nation in the world has a poverty problem and a healthcare system that despite of how technologically advanced the available treatments may be is considered to be one of the worst in the world due to how exploitative it is. People are working longer and striving harder to get ahead financially in life, if I grew up in a southeast Asian country I'd be a married man with several kids by now, instead I'm a bachelor living in a studio apartment because it's closer to work.

Compared to someone in Thailand or the Philippines I'm wealthy, I can afford to eat in the best restaurants and stay in the best hotels, I can buy the latest smartphone outright, my computer costs more than a southeast Asian family car, my daily large cappuccino costs $5 AUD and I don't mind.
But at night I wonder if I'm going to die alone.

This is by no means a trade off, I know I'm fortunate to be where I am living the life I do, I have the luxury of going on the internet at night and whining that it isn't ideal and I don't have everything I want.

In summary capitalism is shit but inevitable because humans are shit and the only way you're going to solve that is either by culling them periodically or "fixing" them such that they aren't really human anymore. A society of immortal post-humans could totally maintain perfect equality and a stable society until the universe goes cold and dark.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 11:20 PM
-->
Something I plan on doing is using IronMans nano suite to transform my body into chemical solar. Everything will be completely self-contained and I may even have an advanced version of TonyStarks ElonMusks neurolink.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:20 AM
-->
the free market is shit in terms of allocating resources, but its the best one we have so far.

population growth have its cheques and balances, we eliminated some of the worst, the smallpox, but nature will develop some new ones to wipe us out.

we try to cheat nature by developing cures for dieases and increasing food supply and lengthening our lifespan , but nature will come back and find some innovative ways to kill us. like antibiotics is already failing to work.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 10:50 AM
-->
An optimal distribution of resources would undoubtedly solve the problems of hunger, poverty and inequality, indeed with more people able to work and being compensated fairly for their work I'd expect to see a significant increase in productivity.

I remember jocularly telling someone that Thanos actually cared more than not. By finishing off half the population...That is a required solution. Better instant annihilation than daily languishing

Top Bottom