• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Detail a cool trait which you would like to see evolve in humans

~~~

Local time
Today, 21:24
Describe its usefulness and purpose. People might like to debate aspects of the trait too. And it should be a trait that does not already persist in humans.
(I was thinking about this and thought the INTPs might have some cool ideas.)

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today, 13:24
Plant dna absorption could give two useful purposes:

The ability to draw sun energy from photosynthesis, possibly cutting off the need of eating for sustenance.

The ability to form a self-sustained process loop of carbon dioxide* and oxygen. Besides the benefits of this on Earth, it could primarily aid space exploration.

I probably have some others in the back of my mind..

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today, 22:24
Cell regeneration. For immortality. And the eye. At least ultra violet and infrared should be visible. Both these abilities are already evolved in other creatures. So I would like if we got them too.

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
Plant dna absorption could give two useful purposes:

The ability to draw sun energy from photosynthesis, possibly cutting off the need of eating for sustenance.

The ability to form a self-sustained process loop of carbon dioxide* and oxygen. Besides the benefits of this on Earth, it could primarily aid space exploration.

I probably have some others in the back of my mind..
With the current productivity and rendement coming from photosynthesis, we don't have enough area to effectively 'live on sunlight'. In fact, being able to do photosynthesis wouldn't make that much of a diffrence in terms of the ammount of food we eat, assuming we do the same photosynthesis as plants. Which is probably for the better, I wouldn't want to have to go outside every day. :slashnew:

That doesn't mean it wouldn't help, it just means we'd still be eating almost as much food as we would before, and breathing almost as much air as before.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
Intelligence.
Yeah, you beat me to it.

Just going for some simple things...

Increased lung capacity would be useful. Perhaps something along the lines of a sea turtle.

Increased resistance to natural and man-made toxins. Humans are far too vulnerable in this regard...

...and along with that, greater resistance to cancer.

A more durable, less potentially problematic (simpler?) spinal column.

More efficient nutrient processing. Humans need to eat far too much far too often. Something more akin to my King Snake, which can tap two months of sustenance from one small mouse.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
With the current productivity and rendement coming from photosynthesis, we don't have enough area to effectively 'live on sunlight'. In fact, being able to do photosynthesis wouldn't make that much of a diffrence in terms of the ammount of food we eat, assuming we do the same photosynthesis as plants. Which is probably for the better, I wouldn't want to have to go outside every day. :slashnew:

That doesn't mean it wouldn't help, it just means we'd still be eating almost as much food as we would before, and breathing almost as much air as before.
Yeah at least it would help, that's the important thing. Cutting off food or external oxygen completely would just be a plus. I'm sure with the aid of cybernetics, the efficiency of humanoid photosynthesis and respiration could be improved(though this is all just speculation).

Intelligence.
"If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today, 16:24
The ability for controlled recall* for anything one experiences. This should enhance the ability to deal with things (intelligence).

Computers do this.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today, 09:24
The ability for controlled recall* for anything one experience. This should enhance the ability to deal with things (intelligence).

Computers do this.
If you don't mind losing an eye I could grant your wish.

wadlez

Local time
Tomorrow, 05:54
An instinctual drive to live underground. This includes a strong motivation to build underground structures which are as hidden from the surface as possible. This need would be as embedded in the working of our brain as over drives, such as sex or social dominance of fellow pack animals. Having a larger subterranean dwelling than another would be huge ego boost.

This would ideally only affect half of the population of earth, with the two types of people being complexed by the other. There is no genetic line to predict which one you would be, so you could just be born a surfacer in an underground city and strive to go to the top. This heterogenesis would reduce the chances of a large global war between the two (although there would undoubtedly be tension).

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today, 15:24
Cell regeneration.
That's the most pragmatic one. If only hazardous cell proliferation could be curbed and apoptosis could be more tightly controlled. Dare to dream. :borg:

There's too much chance down here. :beatyou:

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
to read minds

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
An instinctual drive to live underground. This includes a strong motivation to build underground structures which are as hidden from the surface as possible. This need would be as embedded in the working of our brain as over drives, such as sex or social dominance of fellow pack animals. Having a larger subterranean dwelling than another would be huge ego boost.

This would ideally only affect half of the population of earth, with the two types of people being complexed by the other. There is no genetic line to predict which one you would be, so you could just be born a surfacer in an underground city and strive to go to the top. This heterogenesis would reduce the chances of a large global war between the two (although there would undoubtedly be tension).
Would those who are self-compelled to live on houseboats be ostracized from both above and below?:D

~~~

Local time
Cell regeneration. For immortality. And the eye. At least ultra violet and infrared should be visible. Both these abilities are already evolved in other creatures. So I would like if we got them too.
Death is a part of evolution though - we might need another way to evolve if we are immortal.

There are some people with tetrachromacy. Perhaps this is the first step vision of other wavelengths.

~~~

Local time
Interesting ideas. Anything else we might need for space/other planets?

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
Expiration date shaped birthmarks.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
The ability to communicate mental imagery and thoughts, or telepathy. All the information that is lost through the limited verbal & vocal skills of current human communication would be presented fully uncompressed. It would definitely be amazing, allowing for all sorts of developments.

to read minds
This is somewhat similar but I see a difference between freely listening in on others' thoughts, and people having to specifically transmit a thought to someone. I wouldn't want the former, it doesn't really make for a functional society.

wadlez

Local time
Tomorrow, 05:54
Would those who are self-compelled to live on houseboats be ostracized from both above and below?
Yes, just as those bastards are now.

Death is a part of evolution though - we might need another way to evolve if we are immortal.
Not a necessary one though, as long as people are still breading. Those who reproduce the most would have their genetics passed on the most.

~~~

Local time
Not a necessary one though, as long as people are still breading. Those who reproduce the most would have their genetics passed on the most.
So a lot of zombies then?

Oedipus

Jerk
Local time
Something needs to be done about menstruation.

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
To commit suicide when the age of 13 is reached.

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Intelligence.
This. If you pay enough attention to social-interplay whether in the form of politics or economics, you'd notice so much irrationality. Collectives are always so innefficient if not self-destructive. I'm talking about Tribalism, Nationalism, Ideology, Traditionalism and all other "shortcuts" opposing actually thinking things through. I think Mass Intelligence is necessary for social upgrade.

~~~

Local time
This. If you pay enough attention to social-interplay whether in the form of politics or economics, you'd notice so much irrationality. Collectives are always so innefficient if not self-destructive. I'm talking about Tribalism, Nationalism, Ideology, Traditionalism and all other "shortcuts" opposing actually thinking things through. I think Mass Intelligence is necessary for social upgrade.
In the mean time maybe more people will seek out critical thinking skills and a better understanding of the psychology associated with challenged thought.

Top Bottom