• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Ask BAP

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 4:17 PM
-->
Do you agree with the latest public typings of prominent members? Specifically, Auburn typed THD as ISTJ and TA as ESTP based on a few short videos (at their request, of course).
Base groove. I know this is the "Ask BAP" thread. One might think that implies I'm going to try for skilled answers to Qs. My attitude here is to give you an impression about what I am and just give a reaction to your Q and see if that pleases you or not. I do not pretend to be skilled at evaluations of types though they certainly interest me.

Auburn presents such detail in his evaluation I have to wonder if that detail is to be translated into accuracy. Really I don't know Auburn. My impression is he has possibilities but I think he should be matched against what Pod'Lair has to say. I've not seen such a comparison.
Which of the following do you think is the best approximation of the truth?
1. The method has a strong bias towards typing people as S-types.​
You mean the way Pod'Lair tends to find F types?
2. It is an unlikely coincidence that two ENTPs got typed as dominant S-types.
Don't know.
3. Statistically, it was extremely likely that two forum members selected at random are S-types.​
I would think that unlikely as those who comes here would be more interested in non-specific things and are willing to entertain a broad range of things represented by intuition. I'm afraid I haven't studied THD or TA on my own.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Ask BAP: Vocation

This Q was asked over on the AA thread but I thought I'd reflect on it here:
Why do you think computer programming is a better fit for INTPs than mathematics? Pure mathematics research involves only theory. Programming, on the other hand, is about solving real world problems using computers. Aren't INTPs better at theory than application?

By the way, I'm doing great both in my math classes and my programming classes (which are very introductory: but still). I was just thinking that you have a huge influence in my life: career choice and diet just off the top of my head.
I've had my feet wet in both mathematics and computer programming so I find that an interesting Q. It's hard to generalize as I believe Architect said smarts are a factor. If you are very smart you can go with pure mathematics and find yourself an academic career. Be sure you are smart enough to publish else you will not do well. Applied mathematics is different. You can find jobs in industry but you will have to make a fit and you may have to put up with consulting. I was math all the way to grad school and then dropped out after a year.

Computer programming is different. See what Architect has to say for details. You may find yourself working at all levels. Being a non-socialized INTP, I never made it to high levels. I worked as an ordinary programmer and as long as I could do that I liked it. I remember when I first started I worked alongside a Ph.D. in Archeology and a chess champion good enough to be noted in the New York Times as well as many with ordinary bachelor degrees.

The reason to go into pure mathematics is art. Pure math is an art and the beauty of its discoveries and logic. Ti and Ne permeation. Programming? It is open to all of art, science and technology I suppose.

bemused

Local time
Today 9:17 PM
-->
Can you simply explain MBTI cognitive functions?

Is it possible to relate equally to the TI/TE and NI/NE descriptions?

Is it possible to be an introvert with a histrionic streak?

Oh and do you know python?

I just skimmed thru this thread-so if these were already asked, sorry.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Not sure this answers what you are after very well.
Can you simply explain MBTI cognitive functions?
Ti-subjective thinking
Te-thinking about the outside world
Fe-feelings with others
Fi-your and my internal feelings
Ni-my intuition
Ne-intuition about the outside world
Si-my sensations including what I remember
Se-external sensations

Is it possible to relate equally to the TI/TE and NI/NE descriptions?
I'll give you an analogy. Is it possible to be ambidextrous? My answer is it is more efficient to specialize. There is a natural polarization that favors. If you can do what you want with your right hand, there is no need to learn with your left.

Nevertheless that's an interesting Q. For me I favor Ti. Te has hard edges. I prefer soft. For me Ne is interesting and fun to play with. Ni is junk crap. This causes me to polarize.

Is it possible to be an introvert with a histrionic streak?
Seems to me those who would go for public drama would be extroverts. Do you have an introvert in mind?

Oh and do you know python?
You mean Monty? I like them but can only take so much of the full Monty at a time.

If you mean the programming language, no. Never even heard of it till you mentioned it. It's after my time.

I just skimmed thru this thread-so if these were already asked, sorry.
I suppose I should skim thru it too, but not lately. If a different person asks the same Q, well both I may have changed and they could have different reactions.

bemused

Local time
Today 9:17 PM
-->
Ti-subjective thinking
Te-thinking about the outside world
Fe-feelings with others
Fi-your and my internal feelings
Ni-my intuition
Ne-intuition about the outside world
Si-my sensations including what I remember
Se-external sensations

Thanks- those are descriptions I understand.

I'll give you an analogy. Is it possible to be ambidextrous? My answer is it is more efficient to specialize. There is a natural polarization that favors. If you can do what you want with your right hand, there is no need to learn with your left.

Nevertheless that's an interesting Q. For me I favor Ti. Te has hard edges. I prefer soft. For me Ne is interesting and fun to play with. Ni is junk crap. This causes me to polarize.

Funny- I am ambidextrous. But I write with the left, play a right-handed guitar and naturally favor one arm over the other depending on the situation. I guess my mind works the same way with the functions you just described above. Just haven't learned to specialize I guess.

Seems to me those who would go for public drama would be extroverts. Do you have an introvert in mind?

I mean is it possible to love to socialize, connect with the external world, and even have a flair for the dramatic but find the whole experience exhausting afterward, and require ample time for introspection and time alone with your own thoughts and interests?

For example- can a person have the melodramatic mannerisms of a George Constanza, the quirky habits of a Kramer, the mean-streak of Elaine, and the cool calm nature of a Jerry Seinfeld all in one package that can dribble out sporadically?

(disregard if youre not familar with the tv show Seinfeld)

You mean Monty? I like them but can only take so much of the full Monty at a time.

If you mean the programming language, no. Never even heard of it till you mentioned it. It's after my time.

You gotta love the absurdism of monty tho, but I was referring to the language.

the reason I asked such loaded questions because I am honestly bemused by this whole MBTI thing. I just don't understand it, but your replys were helpful.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Thanks- those are descriptions I understand.
Good.

Funny- I am ambidextrous. But I write with the left, play a right-handed guitar and naturally favor one arm over the other depending on the situation. I guess my mind works the same way with the functions you just described above. Just haven't learned to specialize I guess.
If you write and play guitar with a favored hand I don't see that as ambidextrous. I am left-handed but bat and kick rightie.

I mean is it possible to love to socialize, connect with the external world, and even have a flair for the dramatic but find the whole experience exhausting afterward, and require ample time for introspection and time alone with your own thoughts and interests?
If one is exhausted afterward, that implies introvert. An extrovert would find all that stimulating and go on to do more.

For example- can a person have the melodramatic mannerisms of a George Constanza, the quirky habits of a Kramer, the mean-streak of Elaine, and the cool calm nature of a Jerry Seinfeld all in one package that can dribble out sporadically?

(disregard if youre not familar with the tv show Seinfeld)
I will disregard. Only seen it once. Actors can be introverted just as much as extroverted though.

the reason I asked such loaded questions because I am honestly bemused by this whole MBTI thing. I just don't understand it, but your replys were helpful.
I don't mind loaded questions as long as they don't mean the kitchen sink. Rather I like them.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 2:17 PM
-->
Re: Ask BAP: Vocation

The reason to go into pure mathematics is art. Pure math is an art and the beauty of its discoveries and logic. Ti and Ne permeation. Programming? It is open to all of art, science and technology I suppose.

Once you get to the higher levels I think programming is as much art as math. But yes, math is pure art in this sense.

Base groove

Banned
Local time
Today 2:17 PM
-->
I am going to propose a list of rules that would outline a theory of typology.
Please tell me which of these rules you would reject, and why.

There are four functions (T, N, S, F)

Two are deemed "rational" (T/F) and two are deemed "irrational" (N/S).

The irrational functions are known as perceiving and the rational functions are known as judging.

Consciousness is defined by the interplay of a function pair, consisting of one rational and one irrational function (one P and one J).

Functions are identified by the existence of types. A "type" is a pattern of objective behavior and subjective experience that characteristically represents one function, which shall be known as dominant.

Types are either rational or irrational.

A dominant function represses the other three functions into [some degree of] unconsciousness. This can be mathematically represented by a partial differential equation.

A conscious function represses the other function in its own category (P/J) more strongly than the functions in the orthogonal plane (P _|_ J).

Attitudes are two distinct and contradictory forms of expression that exist for each function.

Repressed functions will take on the opposing attitude of the conscious/dominant which represses it.

One inferior function will arise as auxiliary, because of the prior stated rule that consciousness requires P and J input/output.

As the auxiliary becomes more conscious, it gains a stronger footing in the psyche, and with it, the ability to further influence the attitudes of its repressed partner-function. This produces the 'tertiary'.

The emergence of the tertiary as defined by the auxiliary has produced a unique arrangement which is now known as a 'type' (1/16).

Consciousness is a wave-form that is characterized by interference patterns between two orthogonal (P/J) wave progressions/partial differential equations, each of which is actually an expression of polarity between the other function in its own category (T<>F and S<>N). It never exists in a steady state, only wave-like probabilities and approximations; to analyze the wave in a moment in time is to lose the essence of the interference pattern.

Top Bottom