• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

courage is failure

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:56 AM
-->
courage is failure, failure is courage

courage= risk= failure, therefore courage--> failure

My statement implies that courage often leads to bad consequnces and disaster. because courage is willingness taking risk, and the result and consequence of risk is often failure and disaster.

if you have failed and have fallen your ass off, it means you have courage.

on the contrary, if you have never failed or tried, it means you are a coward and are over cautious.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
yes, in order to have courage one needs to risk real failure.

one error of logic here, however, is that if you haver never failed you don't have courage.

logically you cannot deduce "no failure => no courage" from "failure => courage"

look up "converse error" on google

this is assuming that the only way to fail is to have courage, obviously. I guess in reality, failure also often comes from just plain stupidity and a lack of rational paranoia about failure – e.g. blind optimism.

JohnnyLawrence

Local time
-->
To achieve anything you must accept risk and to do so takes courage

if you never try through cowardice then you will never achieve anything

The trick is in managing risk

Life itself is uncertainty. How you engage with that will determine your level of happiness in it

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:56 PM
-->
Courage is a word old men use to get young men to die for their interests.

Real success comes from being cunning, you can risk your life and be the hero and all you'll ever get for it is a medal, while unscrupulous bankers and corrupt politicians are the ones with the big houses, fast cars and the trophy wives.

A cunning person takes risks because they're worth it, it doesn't take courage to get that degree, apply for that job or start that business when you know the alternative is being stuck where you are now, if anything fear is a motivator.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 12:56 AM
-->
overcoming fear is courage

overcoming failer is perseverance

MayaRefugee

Local time
Today 5:56 PM
-->
It depends how you define success and failure though doesn't it?

The masses would argue it takes courage to be in the world as a coward, to never explore possibility, to delay gratification, to stay on the path well traveled, to ignore the voice inside saying there is something better out there to achieve, to pick the low hanging fruit, etc

Those that go after high hanging fruit would say the only success is having the courage to stamp out any trace of cowardly behaviour, to silence the voices telling you to stay safe and remain comfortable, to go big or go home, to get rich or die trying so to speak, etc.

lightfire

Local time
Today 1:56 AM
-->
I've had someone tell me that it takes courage to be normal.

MayaRefugee

Local time
-->
This quote just came to mind, if this is the norm it could be argued that it takes courage to accept it:

“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and die with their song still inside them.”....Henry David Thoreau

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today 2:56 AM
-->
Courage is knowedge of your strength and capabilities.

Cowardice is knowledge of your weakness and incapabilities.

In your definition though, it seems you assume ones knowledge of their capabilities is often wrong. That certainly can be the case sometimes, but not every time.

Taking a risk that is necessary is bravery, while taking one that is not necessary is recklessness. There are degrees of this obviously. Big risk, big bravery. Little risk, little bravery.

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
-->
Courage is only failure if you don't learn from the process and try to make less mistakes next time.
Courage comes with risk, but also exposes you to experience and growth and allows you to make better decisions next time.

The trick is in managing risk - definitely didn't steal this from a post above me.

Reminds me of this video I watched once and was extremely surprised I even managed to find it again.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
yes, in order to have courage one needs to risk real failure.

one error of logic here, however, is that if you haver never failed you don't have courage.

logically you cannot deduce "no failure => no courage" from "failure => courage"

look up "converse error" on google

this is assuming that the only way to fail is to have courage, obviously. I guess in reality, failure also often comes from just plain stupidity and a lack of rational paranoia about failure – e.g. blind optimism.

The extreme of courage is suicidal, reckless and failure, while the extreme of caution is cowardance and fear, lack of action. There is a delicate balance.

Courage is a risk endeavor, and risk= failure or the possibility of failure.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
the prime example of caution is Hamlet, who keeps questioning himself to be or not to be, rather than acting against his uncle and avenge his father with a swift sword.

the prime example of courage and risk is alexander the great, who seems to fight the persian empire and test his luck in the battlefield against odds, but then lead to his own demise due to reckless behavior.

Top Bottom