• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Forensic1999

Ghost
Local time
Yesterday 10:03 PM
-->
My first thought about writing an introduction was... How vicious are you guys on this website? Am I going to get torn apart for saying hi? Lol. I just found this forum and I wanted to see if I could meet some like-minded people. Hopefully I'll get a response from one of you, :)

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today 1:03 AM
-->
Hi. Welcome, join in whenever and wherever.

Forensic1999

Ghost
Local time
-->
Thank u. I wouldnt know where to start, but I'll give it a shot.

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 7:03 AM
-->
Welcome, .. we are all friendly here ;)... e_e except for this one ENTP. Beware.. he posts from "work" when he gets bored.

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
Today 5:03 AM
-->
My first thought about writing an introduction was... How vicious are you guys on this website? Am I going to get torn apart for saying hi? Lol. I just found this forum and I wanted to see if I could meet some like-minded people. Hopefully I'll get a response from one of you, :)

You'll be good, the simple fact you're posting this means you'll have to satisfy your curiousity: can I survive in the wasteland? haha

You won't be torn apart it's not a battle to become the alpha and the omega, unless you're against @Kormak. Check out the forums and see how you like it, the main proponent of this forum is expressing ideas so ego-contests aren't that prevalent.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:03 PM
-->
Hai

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
Today 6:03 AM
-->
Welcome! Since I joined there has been very little drama... Loads of lovely, eccentric people, so tolerance comes with the territory.

@Polaris Whaa? It makes sense to me, because in Norwegian Hai means Shark, sounds like hi (which we also say in Norway) and sharks tear people apart, but... how does it make sense in English?

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
She's Australian, they have 50 words for shark.

Rebis

Local time
-->
No one picked up on shark infested waters, no?

moody

Local time
-->

Hello! From my experience, people aren't so much as vicious as defensive. That's pretty normal on the internet I suppose, but it's more prone to happen in discussions about sensitive issues when people "feel passionately" about something.

That, and when you threaten someone's masculinity, and they feel the need to "prove" themselves, and then other users start picking sides, and then the actual thread prompt gets ignored until it's settled. It's ridiculous. Literally, that is what MOST of the conflicts are about. It's easy to veer away from that happening if you are cordial.

No one is like-minded on an NT forum because we're too busy being wiseacres to ever agree with one another. But hopefully you'll get some interesting discussions out of it!

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
No one is like-minded on an NT forum because we're too busy being wiseacres to ever agree with one another. But hopefully you'll get some interesting discussions out of it!
Haha, preach, my friend... But, Moooody. What do you play?

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
I'm able to play quite poorly on my only instrument xD I wish I were better. Started the guitar a couple of years ago, but lost my voice, and with it much of my motivation for playing. Currently seeing a speech therapist for that.

So are you studying to become a professional musician?

moody

Local time
-->
Started the guitar a couple of years ago, but lost my voice, and with it much of my motivation for playing. Currently seeing a speech therapist for that.

Then don't play pieces with vocal lines. There are so many instrumentalists who don't like singing, or think that they're terrible singers. Guitarists as well, just not the "pop-culture guitarist." I'm a little ashamed of falling into this stereotype, but sometimes it's hard to consider vocalists as equals to instrumentalists...I logically know real vocalists are musicians too...I've just met so many bad ones who can't read music that I get a smidgen prejudiced against them at times.

I am. Working on performance right now, but I'm not opposed to/also considering other options. (Like teaching, outreach, business, designing programs, etc).

unless you're against @Kormak.

Kormak isn't even a challenge, it's all good

That's because you're nice to everyone, don't take offense to anything, and are as personable as someone could possibly be on an internet forum for INTPs. Literally, when you did your introduction posts, it's like someone added a massive tums to all the weird, acidic defensiveness. You brought the voles out of their holes.

Tenacity

Local time
-->
Started the guitar a couple of years ago, but lost my voice, and with it much of my motivation for playing. Currently seeing a speech therapist for that.

Then don't play pieces with vocal lines. There are so many instrumentalists who don't like singing, or think that they're terrible singers. Guitarists as well, just not the "pop-culture guitarist." I'm a little ashamed of falling into this stereotype, but sometimes it's hard to consider vocalists as equals to instrumentalists...I logically know real vocalists are musicians too...I've just met so many bad ones who can't read music that I get a smidgen prejudiced against them at times.

I am. Working on performance right now, but I'm not opposed to/also considering other options. (Like teaching, outreach, business, designing programs, etc).

unless you're against @Kormak.

Kormak isn't even a challenge, it's all good

That's because you're nice to everyone, don't take offense to anything, and are as personable as someone could possibly be on an internet forum for INTPs. Literally, when you did your introduction posts, it's like someone added a massive tums to all the weird, acidic defensiveness. You brought the voles out of their holes.

Lmao. Thanks moody. Never thought I'd have the personality of Tums, that's a new one.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tums

The various definitions of tums on urbandic are striking

I just googled "voles" they are so cute

My intent is understanding and knowledge in depth or via extrapolation, not argument for the sake of it. If I wanted to argue there are better ways to release pent up emotions, but, whatever, I get it, tha vole bois need to show their hidden fangs occasionally, it is perhaps within the biological norms of the average internet dude

(I mean, however, if I must argue, I intend to win, because, well, I'm competent, why shouldn't I? :))

The cat you posted also evokes similar vole-ly vibes.

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 7:03 AM
-->

Tenacity

Local time
-->
Is it just me or is that BW macro photography of a yoga mat

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
No sharks here, only yogis, yo.

Tenacity

Local time
-->
Meditation videos thread anyone? Lol

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
Hmmm... Yeah, I'd appreciate some good guided meditation.

Rebis

Local time
-->
I'm not one for mediation through matts but I feel sleep is meditative, I have often sat there experiencing the world through the senses like touch while thinking of nothing. I couldn't sit there for an hour thinking about nothing, my brain needs activity.

Tenacity

Local time
-->
thinking about nothing
Very difficult to do, though mastering it can be the difference between making a rash decision or a calculated one. Things like 20-seconds of concentrated breathing is mostly doable for anyone but takes practice

Rebis

Local time
-->
Yeah my interest in meditation was breathing techniques for cognitive performance, that's all.

Forensic1999

Ghost
Local time
-->
What about Hypnosis? It's quite different from meditation. However no one has ever been able to successfully hypnotize me according to the direct definition of "hypnotism" so it's hard to say. I think I get bored too fast as well.

moody

Local time
-->
What about Hypnosis? It's quite different from meditation. However no one has ever been able to successfully hypnotize me according to the direct definition of "hypnotism" so it's hard to say. I think I get bored too fast as well.

I think getting bored means you're not mentally present. You can't be hypnotized if your mind is somewhere else. Have you ever had a conversation where you aren't thinking about anything other than what the other person is talking about, aren't thinking of what you're going to say next, and are mentally present in the moment? That's listening with empathy, which people don't normally do on a regular basis. I think you have to be in that mindset to be successfully hypnotized, but a lot of people are too self-conscious and removed to be able to mentally "let go" like that.

Forensic1999

Ghost
Local time
-->
Yeah, it's rare for me to be "in the moment" so to speak. Also I have trust issues so that would make sense.

moody

Local time
-->
Yeah, it's rare for me to be "in the moment" so to speak. Also I have trust issues so that would make sense.

It may help to start with meditation. Not by yourself, but in a room with other people--I think there's something too pressuring about being alone with yourself, as opposed to being alone around other people. It's hard for me to stop thinking (I have racing thoughts throughout my day), so it helps me to approach "meditation" by filling my thoughts of all the sounds around my, and any other physical sensation. I hope that makes sense...there's no way to accomplish it other than to start. In the long run, it's helped me calm down about a lot of things, and with focus.

Forensic1999

Ghost
Local time
-->
I generally run a meditation video as I fall asleep. Doesn't seem to make much difference to the nightmares I have constantly. But still. It's somewhat relaxing at bedtime.

moody

Local time
-->
I generally run a meditation video as I fall asleep. Doesn't seem to make much difference to the nightmares I have constantly. But still. It's somewhat relaxing at bedtime.
Ever been to a doctor about it ? Problems with sleep are largely pushed aside socially, but they’re reals parts of our health. It might be helpful to get an appointment with a neurologist, or something like that, if it’s been an ongoing thing disrupting your sleep. General practitioners aren’t very good at non-general things, and psychiatrists are trained to come from a psychological point of view, which isn’t always what’s really going on.

Rebis

Local time
-->
I take L-theanine for sleep, improves the quality of sleep in almost every circumstance. Effective anxiolytic if you have an overactive mind, simulating social situations with multiple people and so on.

I take 1 as I'm running out, but 2 if sleep is just not working. Very effective, little side effects and a baseline improvement for any sleep.

Top Bottom