• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Favorite Death Note Character...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 10:30 AM
-->
Face's is Light of course.

Mine would be Near because my former girlfriend with whom I watched the anime told I am kinda similar to him.

Razare

Local time
Today 4:30 AM
-->
I never pick the obvious characters as my favorite... I always like the unique side-characters that have a dark flavor and never take the spotlight.

In Death Note that would be Rem. She is the most beautiful shinigami, in my view.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
I never pick the obvious characters as my favorite... I always like the unique side-characters that have a dark flavor and never take the spotlight.

In Death Note that would be Rem. She is the most beautiful shinigami, in my view.

Hmm, just like Rigardo? I kinda liked him, the name is just badass.
I don't know, I have problems to connect with minor characters. More screentime guarantees better characterization.

Also, I kinda dislike L. Not really the character but that he became the INTP poster boy and nowadays everyone runs around with a L avatar. Boo at your lack of originality. :p

Local time
Today 9:30 AM
-->
I was very fond of L when I originally read the manga series, which was over 2 years ago. L was certainly my favourite for a while, but after watching and reading the series repeatedly, I began to favor Near above L.

Light is an interesting character, but I could never like him much. Surprisingly, my opinion of Misa is not very negative. Yes, she is irritating at times, but I think her presence added an interesting element to the storyline. A game of chess cannot be fun with the black or white side (color depending on your moral philosophy towards Light's ideals/actions/motives) only having a Queen.

Razare

Local time
-->
Hmm, just like Rigardo? I kinda liked him, the name is just badass.
I don't know, I have problems to connect with minor characters. More screentime guarantees better characterization.

Ahh, see with the side characters, I like to fill in their motivations and guess at their background in my head. Like Rem for example, you think about her for a bit and you realize the reason she protected Misa was because her only friend died to save Misa's life. She probably hated Misa but saved her out of a sense of duty. It's obvious, I guess, but still, it's fun realizing it without them saying it.

And yeah, Rigardo I like a lot. My main reason for liking him is that after he shows up and slays 3 out of 5 captains within a minute, I thought he would win. Normally, you never think the villain is going to win because that's not how stories work. We get used to this way of storytelling and just *know* the hero wins. Well... because Rackie exists, I thought Claire losing was possible, since Rackie could assume the role as a main character.

Razare

Local time
-->
Light is an interesting character, but I could never like him much.

Light would be my favorite, except for his behavior at the very end where he snaps. That ruins him for me.

In the beginning he commits the murders with a sense of duty. Sacrificing his own morality for the betterment of mankind. I guess somewhere along the way he deludes himself into believing he is a god and defines justice. Then when his bubble bursts, he loses it.

If he maintained the mindset that he was sacrificing his own happiness and morality for a greater utilitarian good, then I would admire that.

Local time
-->
Light would be my favorite, except for his behavior at the very end where he snaps. That ruins him for me.

In the beginning he commits the murders with a sense of duty. Sacrificing his own morality for the betterment of mankind. I guess somewhere along the way he deludes himself into believing he is a god and defines justice. Then when his bubble bursts, he loses it.

If he maintained the mindset that he was sacrificing his own happiness and morality for a greater utilitarian good, then I would admire that.

I enjoyed the scene at the end for humanizing Light and clearly displaying he is no God. Light was confident previously and collected through this, but he soon loses this calmness when he realizes that he has been defeated. All of his pride, goals, and visions of the future were disappearing before his eyes. He valued these above his life, it seemed, and him witnessing them all becoming crushed truly destroyed him emotionally.

Deleted member 1424

Ryuk was my favorite character by far. He also has some INTP-ish traits. He was bored; so he decided to initiate some chaos and observe the results. He also remains emotionally detached from everyone and everything. In the end Light tried to force Ryuk from his neutral position and paid dearly for it. He is also the scariest looking character ever.
4388191132395521_thNoteRyuk.jpg

After him is L of course :D
I hate Takada though.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
I always wonder how people can like or even admire Light. Seriously, he spends like, uhm, five minutes as a well intentioned extremist. After that he kills people rather arbitrary declares himself the god of a new world. Sure, there are criminals who don't become better people but even the chance dictates the immorality of his actions. Also, there are enough innocents in prison. Later it is implied that after he got rid of all the major criminals he will go after cheaters and lazy people. God complex, absolutely flawed morals and he builds a terror regime. What a likeable person.
When you think about it, he is not far away from Hitler.

Local time
-->
Light implied that he would rule his new world through his vision of 'correct' to ensure that it was maintained to his standards, which is certainly an indicator of a rising dictator. He would strive for a perfection which is not achievable and remove much of the freedom we value in the process.

It would be a world dominated with a fear of death for any any sin commited. Insurgencies of anonymous rebels would inevitably emerge and oppose Light's rule to bring their own vision of the 'correct' world into reality, ironically. This demonstrates that people have conflicting ideals for a perfect world, and I do not think that Light's intellectual genius entitled him to absolute judgment of values.

There are flaws of each ideal world people envisage, and I do not have any confidence in humanity reaching a state of perfection. No visionary will guide us in the correct path currently without reducing the human population to a small group that is fully monitored.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Today 1:30 AM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Despite L being the INTP poster boy, he's still my favorite. Just the idea of playing with a mass murderer appeals to me. And I find his idiosyncracies funny and oddly familiar.

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
Today 1:30 AM
-->
Ryuk for sure. He amuses me. I pretty much like anyone that makes me laugh. The show would be too serious without some comedic characters like him and Misa. It's weird that as an INTP, I don't favor INTP characters. I much prefer characters that are unlike me. That's why I liike Face

bdubs

Local time
-->
It seems kind of silly to even make this post, but oh well....

<---------- What can I say, I am an L fan.

Kianara

Local time
Today 12:30 PM
-->
I suppose this is typically INTJ of me, but Light is my favorite character. I also like L but have a certain fondness for Matt. *shrug*

But Light... I look at him and see an INTJ who allowed his whole god-complex to get in the way of his plan. He could have succeeded ('cept the plot didn't allow it), but he allowed his own personal issues to get in the way. In the end, he failed. Since he first 'played' with L by writing down names round the clock, instead of after school, he was bound to fail.

You should never let your feelings and ego get in the way of pragmaticism. That's why Light failed. Despite this, he's still my favorite character. I see in him a mirror of my darker self.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
It's a shounen anime after all. The villain is always wrong. That's because he's, duh, the villain after all. It's the hero's mission to show the audience that the villain and his ideas are wrong. Now it depends on the writer how he deals with that scheme.
In the best case you can symphatize with both sides and the message is rather subtle.
When the writer is not so good it ends like that the villain, like TV Tropes would put it, steps over the Moral Event Horizon. That means that he does things which are unforgivable for the audience like killing innocents or rape. This is, of course, just my very subjective opinion.

In RL I often point out how ludicrous the evil plans of most villains are. Let's face it, every XNXJ who would gain supernatural wouldn't have much problems taking over the world.

Kianara

Local time
Today 12:30 PM
-->
In RL I often point out how ludicrous the evil plans of most villains are. Let's face it, every XNXJ who would gain supernatural wouldn't have much problems taking over the world.

*sigh* I just look at Light and keep thinking how he could have succeeded. You know, if he were me. >.>

Razare

Local time
-->
When I watched it at first I thought as you did Kia, and thought of all the dumb moves Light made and why he could have succeeded. Honestly, Light was the protagonist for me, I wanted him to win every step of the way. I love it when the villain wins.

But Light... I look at him and see an INTJ who allowed his whole god-complex to get in the way of his plan. He could have succeeded ('cept the plot didn't allow it), but he allowed his own personal issues to get in the way. In the end, he failed. Since he first 'played' with L by writing down names round the clock, instead of after school, he was bound to fail.

You should never let your feelings and ego get in the way of pragmaticism. That's why Light failed. Despite this, he's still my favorite character. I see in him a mirror of my darker self.

Yet watching it again, in the first episode, I realized it was not Light's true desire to rule the world. This was an objective he assumed after killing a few criminals to entertain himself. Look at the following exchange:

Light - "No matter how stupid people are, they'll eventually realize that someone is wiping out these criminals. That there's someone who can and will pass righteous judgment!"

Ryuku - "But what do you plan to achieve by passing this righteous judgment? Why bother?"

Light - "Because... I'm also bored."

Then L comes on the scene and he's pissed off at first, but then he gets happy and takes L head on. The reason being, this makes it more challenging and interesting for him. He made it his goal to kill L for defying him as a challenge, not because it was the best way to achieve his ultimate objective.

Notice how after he kills L he goes around bored and doesn't seem happy or enthused until Near challenges him. He loves the competition, it makes his life interesting.

Another time he comments something like... "It is our duty to catch Kira, if we win then Kira is a criminal, if Kira wins then he is justice." He was acting when he said that, but I genuinely believe he saw it his actions through that light and had no illusions that he was nothing more than a murderer. A murderer who would rule the world as absolute justice, if successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom