• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Functions and alcohol

HDINTP

Local time
Today 7:06 PM
-->
So I was sitting, reading and suddenly I realized that my shadow functions make up characteristics of me that I turn out often when under alcohol intoxication.

So I would like to ask if you had simmilar experience in the past...?

PS: What also amused me is a fact that it would actually make ENTJ type which in theory should be our ideal partner :confused:

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
Today 6:06 PM
-->
I definitely do not become like an ENTJ when drunk. After a couple, I loosen​up and can be a bit ENTP. Possibly an INFP when very drunk, though. Sometimes maybe a little like an ENFP - it can go either way.

HDINTP

Local time
-->
I definitely do not become like an ENTJ when drunk. After a couple, go loosen​up and be a bit ENTP. Possibly an INFP when very drunk, though. Sometimes maybe a little like an ENFP - it can go either way.

Aha. Well I am very much interested how others are :) As for myself I also go ISTP at times and when very drunk I am not confident enough to answer correctly for this one...:D

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 10:06 AM
-->
I used to wonder what changes happen when certain types get stoned off medical marijuana. I think most people become more INTP-like, they tend to think more deeply about things and to an extent introspect - which is where the appeal comes from. But it's largely an artificial thing, merely emulated. As far as drinking - I don't know. More Se I guess, but I don't drink. It's a downer and inhibits your usual physiology causing a release of repressed attitudes, and could lead to a "berserk" mode like the vikings purportedly went through. But besides getting the munchies and a bullshit increased sense of humor weed slows everything down so it's like you have more (or less) time to think about stuff.

Minute Squirrel

magician
Local time
-->
I don't think it has much to do with functions. An isfp friend of mine acts like isfj when under the influence and I act like and EXFX so I don't really see a correlation(though I could be wrong about our types).

When I'm high I act like an EXFJ I become really friendly and basically just want to help people. I become super generous and I keep asking people if they're ok or how they're doing(stuff like that). The S or N changes depending on the type of high though.(the only thing that doesn't fit is my uncontrollable laughter, but I'm pretty sure that isn't directly related to any type and just happens because I'm high).

When I'm drunk I act like an esfp. I still am really friendly but I'm also way more physical and am constantly talking about having an adventure. I just sort of love everyone and everything and I spend a lot of my time drunk hugging people and laughing a lot.

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
-->
It's been my experience that it has little or nothing to do with functions. Alcohol softens your brain tissue and reduces your inhibitions - so it seems to bring out the parts of yourself that you keep hidden or repressed. I usually repress my emotions when sober and prefer not to say what's on my mind in RL - hence why I become a feeler and sometimes and extrovert when drinking.

It doesn't bring out what isn't there - it brings out the parts you don't usually let people see. In many cases, this is because those qualities are hidden for a good reason. Effectively, it brings out the inner dick that people hide.

HDINTP

Local time
-->
It's been my experience that it has little or nothing to do with functions. Alcohol softens your brain tissue and reduces your inhibitions - so it seems to bring out the parts of yourself that you keep hidden or repressed. I usually repress my emotions when sober and prefer not to say what's on my mind in RL - hence why I become a feeler and sometimes and extrovert when drinking.

It doesn't bring out what isn't there - it brings out the parts you don't usually let people see. In many cases, this is because those qualities are hidden for a good reason. Effectively, it brings out the inner dick that people hide.

Well it sounds good. It would make sense - I at least try to be less agressive when sober but usually say what is on my mind in RL - The main difference when under alcohol is I do not seem to care if others are interested - In other words I do not wait until they ask me...:)

PS: And as for hiding things I would say I just do not use that part of me unless I conclude it is more or less necessary when I am sober just when not then I sort of priotarize these approaches

TAC

Inspectorist
Local time
-->
Drunk Tac is an unpredictable whirlwind if I am around strangers or friends of friends and depending on my general level of satisfaction with life at the time. More often than not, its a good time with lots of laughter, but my mood can 180 on a trigger (the moment somebody interferes with my fun usually). I tend not to overdo it as of the last few years. Oft, I drink a couple glasses of scotch or rye while reading or doing finance research. Slowing the pace makes it easier to focus.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Tomorrow 3:06 AM
-->
Effect on functions? I would say that my Fe comes out more. The social anxiety is significantly reduced so I'm less refrained and can talk much more. It probably also lets the Se out more (due to the sensual nature of the activity maybe) so extroversion all 'round!

HDINTP

Local time
-->
Allright I am getting closer to the conclusion that it makes me more extraverted and decisive which probably does to most people anyway...? :D

AndyC

Hm?
Local time
-->
Well if it inhibits thought I can only imagine, without having had alcohol myself, becoming ENFP

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->

I guess, partially true, but I find for me some things are exaggerated. Like, once I remember drunkenly telling my bf we should just start gassing people. And though I can be frustrated with people at times, I certainly do not want to start mass murdering them. Well, maybe.

Also, there are some things I've been vocal about drunk, that I don't care about in my everyday life ("fuck people who don't use their blinkers, we should murder them"). I'd say my feelings and opinions in general tend to be exaggerated or exist where they normally wouldn't.

-----

I have terrible memory and ability to recall what I read. I tend to read some random article about global politics or some sciency things every now and then, but after having read it, I'm only left with an vague idea of what is what about, and even if you asked me straight after what I just read, I would have difficulty telling you in detail.

So generally I tend to avoid talking about such things with people, because I'm very aware of how conspiratory I would sound to others because I can only give a big picture without recalling details and my knowledge is inaccurate. I will also get stuck very easily, because people tend to want these details when they don't believe you or are skeptical or just curious I guess.

Erm, my point is, when I get drunk, I'm not so reluctant about talking about these things anymore... I'd say I become more passionate about """world problems""" or problems in society in general. And I enjoy talking about ideas and hypothesises more.

Other than that, I have more fun with people, I'm more happy, talk more (quantity over quality I'm afraid). Overall just more enfp, I guess

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
I have terrible memory and ability to recall what I read. I tend to read some random article about global politics or some sciency things every now and then, but after having read it, I'm only left with an vague idea of what is what about, and even if you asked me straight after what I just read, I would have difficulty telling you in detail.

Same; and I'm of the belief that the important thing about reading it is more about the overall changes it enacts in how you view things. The details may be lost, but it will have a small but persistent effect on your beliefs and values that will apply more generally. A transformative effect if you will, and also a more in-the-moment changing of one's thoughts such that afterwards ideas related or unrelated will flow and these will again change the overall beliefs one holds. It is frustrating having to back one's views up with detailed evidence but I think for the one's who are truly interested in what you have to say, this won't be needed, and instead there is a suspension of disbelief so that there may be a collaboration of ideas and leading to previously unimagined points of view.

The way in which ideas form is gradual; for me it is long-term thoughts which develop and are moved one way or the other as new information is added. In life I'm essentially on the lookout for things which will shake up how I had previously seen things and lead me to knowing things from a broader perspective than I had previously. I look for information which applies to the peripheries - the unknown boundaries of what I have experienced, and this broadens my horizons so that my focus attains a higher nature. It's uncertain as to whether I'll ever have the breakthrough that I seek, but I continue to look for it - there is a deep joy attained when one comes to realise something which adds a new richness to one's world and opens up new territories for exploration. Life is a journey with no set destination but many sites to see and places to explore.

HDINTP

Local time
-->
Same; and I'm of the belief that the important thing about reading it is more about the overall changes it enacts in how you view things. The details may be lost, but it will have a small but persistent effect on your beliefs and values that will apply more generally. A transformative effect if you will, and also a more in-the-moment changing of one's thoughts such that afterwards ideas related or unrelated will flow and these will again change the overall beliefs one holds. It is frustrating having to back one's views up with detailed evidence but I think for the one's who are truly interested in what you have to say, this won't be needed, and instead there is a suspension of disbelief so that there may be a collaboration of ideas and leading to previously unimagined points of view.

The way in which ideas form is gradual; for me it is long-term thoughts which develop and are moved one way or the other as new information is added. In life I'm essentially on the lookout for things which will shake up how I had previously seen things and lead me to knowing things from a broader perspective than I had previously. I look for information which applies to the peripheries - the unknown boundaries of what I have experienced, and this broadens my horizons so that my focus attains a higher nature. It's uncertain as to whether I'll ever have the breakthrough that I seek, but I continue to look for it - there is a deep joy attained when one comes to realise something which adds a new richness to one's world and opens up new territories for exploration. Life is a journey with no set destination but many sites to see and places to explore.

I also relate here though when I encounter people that do remember exactly what ghey read and see it as the only "right" way then I have hard time make them see my perspective...

Great to see I am not alone on this one as well

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->

I agree. It's frustrating, but at least it changes something within that feels accomplishing. I too enjoy the feeling of coming across that piece of information that changes or broadens how I think.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
I'm definitely more ESFP when drunk :D which is indeed my polar opposite

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
No that's your real type

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Ur type is CRAP

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
yeah

COOL RADICAL AWESOME PHENOMENAL

CRAP

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
-->
alcohol doesn't really affect my mental processes.
and ENTJ are conflict people for INTPs; they have totally same interests and they are very similar in nearly every aspect, but they solve problems in very different way, so it's impossible to cooperate or even talk with them;

Marvel

Redshirt
Local time
-->
This is something I've thought about a bit. I initially typed as ENTP because, simply, I drink more than I should do (inherited culture where I live in the British Isles) and I typed my extroversion based on my behaviour in the pub.

In fact, I suffer from a degree of social anxiety around crowds and the drinking compensates for that.

Rarely, but occasionally, my T-F moves a bit so I become ENFP or INFP instead.

Anyway I'm drinking less now I understand this better.

Marvel

Redshirt
Local time
-->
alcohol doesn't really affect my mental processes.
and ENTJ are conflict people for INTPs; they have totally same interests and they are very similar in nearly every aspect, but they solve problems in very different way, so it's impossible to cooperate or even talk with them;

My best friend is ENTJ. It took him a while for to really respect me intellectually, but since he got it he looks out for it and is ready to defer to my Ti now.

He's bright though, in a very Te way. And intense. He can make people agree with him just by looking them straight in the eyes. Handy friend to have.

I have an ESTJ friend who is quite similar in the Te thing but obviously less imaginative and whilst a strong character is ultimately less powerful than the ENTJ.

Juice&lemon

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 1:06 AM
-->
My suggestion is to portray your subconscious in a sleep depth of not capable of dreaming.

Top Bottom