• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

I like sad ambient music ... Do you?

martianamongyou

Redshirt
Local time
Today 4:46 AM
-->
Hi there!

While I typically dislike sharing my music (because I regard it as a sort of private sanctuary) .... I was just wondering if this is common amongst INTPs .... Do you like sad ambient music? For some reason music is the one thing that makes me feel very strong emotions. And I usually gravitate to songs that make me sad because for some reason I like the feeling? The feeling of being sad/contemplative? I like the looming, almost euphoric sense of sadness that such music gives me. (Although sometimes I think songs sound sad because of my interpretation). Its almost like music can express in some way what I could never in words .... I think about the universe, our place in it, life & death, meaning of life, the potential for a God .... I was just wondering because it feels a bit lonely to have interests that most people do not. Im 20 and I feel mostly alone mentally... Anyway below are some examples. What do you think?

Sunlight Ascending - Continental Drift
Slow Mo Guys Super Slow Music
Sigur Ros - Olsen Olsen
Keane - The Iron Sea

Jon Hopkins - Monster Theme
Vangelis - Creation du Monde
Brian Eno - An Ending
Brian Eno - Deep Blue Day
Burial - Street Halo
Celer - The Carved God is Gone
Asthenospheric Movement I - Faures

Oh also my favorite song (its trance) is hartseer by Bart Claessen (radio edit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZlcNWggR7M
Is there a chance any of you like it? For some reason the main chorus sounds sad and mysterious to me. What do you think?

What do you guys listen to?
:)

Anktark

of the swarm
Local time
Today 12:46 PM
-->
I don't listen to a lot of ambient music, but when I do, it's usually flute, violin and/or piano. Something that flows easily- pure electronic music sort of pokes at me too much to be ambient, but I like it when it accompanies other instruments. Alternatively, classical music fits the purpose.

eggman

Local time
Today 10:46 AM
-->
Transglobal Underground. Sabres of Paradise. Dead can Dance.

Sent from my LG-V400 using Tapatalk

groovytaxi98

Dark Magician
Local time
Today 3:46 AM
-->
Not an intp, more like a depersonalized infj, but ambient of all kinds I can always enjoy when I'm in the right mood to explore an alternate universe in my mind. Ambient requires a lot of imagination on my part for me to fully appreciate its delicious and lifelike atmospheres...
as for SAD ambient music... I actually haven't really had a chance to listen to much of that.. maybe ambient of isolation and despair? lol

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Rock/Metal is my ambient music.
I like the rawness and harshness of the instrumentals.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 12:46 AM
-->
I do, but it doesn't have to be sad. I just like the imagination factor with it. Songs with lyrics usually don't relate to my emotions or my lifestyle.

I'll never understand how someone raised in a suburban home can listen to gangster rap and identify with it. I just, I don't know, maybe most people really are just stupid and identify with whatever they think is cool, rather than what actually speaks to their soul.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 5:46 AM
-->
I would say the overall mood to the song is "this is it." There is very much the feeling of nothingness in this song. Like we are born for one thing and if you mess it up its on you. Didn't like the ending; it just sorta ended.

I like complex rhythm stuff -stuff you have to listen to a few times before you get it. Simple rhythmic layers are usually good. I also like full sounding cords in music. Never been one for unholy sounding music so stuff that feels incomplete I don't like. I like music like I like my fiction, a good build up and an epic finish with a decent conclusion.

I like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpcZcl_BUpY

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
Today 3:46 AM
-->
I play STALKER because the excellent ambient music is so reminiscent of Brian Eno.

Minnesanger

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm not into ambient (actually in the whole popular music) but recently I'm liking trance too. Expecially Juno Reactor, my favourite songs are Guardian Angel and Solaris (the last one has a bit of ambient now that I think about it). Brian Eno is quite good, but I feel to recommend you authors that already reached and surpassed Eno's style, such as Ligeti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVYu5lyX5M

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 11:46 AM
-->
^ Did you listen to Juno Reactor's first album, Transmissions? It's a different thing from their later ethnically infused work, more solitary and kinda celestial-yet-claustrophobic... Not to mention the second one Lu.Ci-Ana (sp?) which is purely ambient.

Also Koxbox' remix of "Feel the Universe" is worth checking out.

Rualani

You Silly Willy
Local time
-->
Your embed gave me an eargasm and I know I love trance sooooo... yes
As for the sadness, I'm not sure. I'd say it feels like something growing very distant. I can, certainly, see how sadness would intermingle with that feeling. Actually, I can't of just feel like things are fading away when I hit some of the chorus in that song.

Nebulous

Local time
Today 6:46 AM
-->
Haven't really listened to sad ambient type stuff in a while.

Burzum and the Antlers were the first bands that came to my mind, though.
And Sparklehorse

I used to listen to the Antlers and just space out til I was dissociating
(( great way to deepen your depression ))
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xSi_FE52TAY
An album that you've all probably heard before but like hey

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg8Ckamh8Gw

Sparklehorse

Burzum
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPyOhP1GTRQ
And if you need some comic relief just check out the man behind the music- Varg Vikernes.

Bauhaus and similar goth bands would fit 'sad ambient', imo.

Mm. Other bands.. Vibe wise at least. I don't know if they all fit the genre technically.

Daughter
Elliott Smith
Pink Floyd, Radiohead
Lmao does Lana Del Rey count?

I dunno

Top Bottom