• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

I'm turning 20 in a week

LPolaright

Mentalist
Local time
Today 11:37 AM
-->
As the title suggests, I'm turning 20 in a week (6 days, actually) and I feel like I have accomplished nothing. My world revolves around loads of thinking but no actual doing (as an INTP).

Here is what I did manage to do so far (as in, the past 20 years):

(Side project)
*Think about my main start-up I'm working on.

(Purpose)
*Thinking about my main purpose in life -
to analyze people in an extraordinary observational way and to use these skills to expect behaviors -
possibly work as an FBI agent.

(Army)
*Being half-way done with my army service in the IDF.

(Learning)
*Study a few math/computer/cognition science courses in the open university
(hopefully during army service I'll be able to complete the first year of the degree).

(Understanding)
*Develop my basic knowledge on how an average human being works.

(Music)
*Learnt how to play the Guitar and Piano, and begun learning Violin and I'm developing my voice.

(Social)
*I have a girlfriend for 4 years now.

And that's it so far.

When I wrote it, I felt like I actually did do some substantial work.

But then looking at myself I expected me to be the next Mark Zukerberg of atleast one thing by the age of 20. I'm not looking for fame and fortune but rather honor and reputation from a lot more then my immediate surroundings. I'm looking to be all knowing, and for others to realize that I'm maybe a bit smarter then average.

Also, I feel quite neglected in the forums - as every substantial post I've made received 0 comments.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:37 PM
-->
Interesting, what are you trying to do?

Beholder

What for?
Local time
-->
Hey! Another Israeli!
I just finished the army about a two months ago, was planning on starting to work right away, study to complete my missing bagrut and do a psychometri, so that I can start travelling as soon as possible (August was the original plan), so two months have passed, I finally start working tomorrow, I haven't even started studying, I signed up for a psychometri course, which is just so retarded I can't even bring myself to show up for classes, and I've somehow got to a position where after living in this city for 21 years, I have 1 friend who lives in this city, after a year in the army my girlfriend and I broke up, since then I've been single. So you sound like you're doing okay.
Seriously, enjoy your time in the army, it's probably gonna be the only time in your life where you don't have to care about anything. הייתי חפ"ש מפחיד!:smoker:

ElvenVeil

Local time
Today 10:37 AM
-->
This seems very familiar.. You should try not and get annoyed by the lack of comments.. You yourself don't reply to everything, and so it seems very natural that some may feel neglected (I have felt that too, but don't care too much about it anylonger).

I find the whole idea of 'I am turning 20 and haven't accomplished anything' very familiar.. I felt the exact same way.. You may well be smarter than average, but obviously that leads nowhere (zero real accomplishments). What I learned from that was that in reality, being smart is not what is most important, and certainly not what is most impressive; What you do with your abilities, and how you dedicate yourself to study or whatever, leads to accomplishments and that is what is impressive.

Train yourself in discipline (forcing yourself to study whatever topic that interests yourself the most) and become good at it, instead of being 'decent' in a thousand fields. These have been my own reflections and conclusions, and perhaps this is what you need too.

Anyway, if you have some interesting thoughts you wish to share you can always drop me a pm.. You seem like an interesting person at least :)

nedenom

Local time
Today 10:37 AM
-->
Happy birthday in 6 days! You have a whole life ahead of you to accomplish things. Certainly you are a bit unrealistic if you expect to be king of the world at age 20.

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
Today 8:37 AM
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
mines in a few days too...and im turning twenty...small world

LPolaright

Mentalist
Local time
-->
Interesting, what are you trying to do?

Few words: Next level A.I.

Hey! Another Israeli!
I just finished the army about a two months ago, was planning on starting to work right away, study to complete my missing bagrut and do a psychometri, so that I can start travelling as soon as possible (August was the original plan), so two months have passed, I finally start working tomorrow, I haven't even started studying, I signed up for a psychometri course, which is just so retarded I can't even bring myself to show up for classes, and I've somehow got to a position where after living in this city for 21 years, I have 1 friend who lives in this city, after a year in the army my girlfriend and I broke up, since then I've been single. So you sound like you're doing okay.
Seriously, enjoy your time in the army, it's probably gonna be the only time in your life where you don't have to care about anything. הייתי חפ"ש מפחיד!

Congratulations on finishing the army!
Your life sounds like garbage at the moment, which will make it so much better when you get over it.
What classes did you miss for your bagrut? Good luck on working.

I can't enjoy no-control over my status in life.
And I can't stop caring about anything that happens in my surroundings.

What exactly do you do?

I am in M.P.
Basically I'm dealing in a lot of bureaucracy - but from time to time I actually get to study human relations a bit deeper as I'm sitting on the ruling side of the table.

This seems very familiar.. You should try not and get annoyed by the lack of comments.. You yourself don't reply to everything, and so it seems very natural that some may feel neglected (I have felt that too, but don't care too much about it anylonger).

I find the whole idea of 'I am turning 20 and haven't accomplished anything' very familiar.. I felt the exact same way.. You may well be smarter than average, but obviously that leads nowhere (zero real accomplishments). What I learned from that was that in reality, being smart is not what is most important, and certainly not what is most impressive; What you do with your abilities, and how you dedicate yourself to study or whatever, leads to accomplishments and that is what is impressive.

Train yourself in discipline (forcing yourself to study whatever topic that interests yourself the most) and become good at it, instead of being 'decent' in a thousand fields. These have been my own reflections and conclusions, and perhaps this is what you need too.

Anyway, if you have some interesting thoughts you wish to share you can always drop me a pm.. You seem like an interesting person at least

I try to comment to posts that have no comments.

I understand that smart might not equal accomplishments but smart does equal to great accomplishments.

I am actually following your advice and am practicing on one and only subject - I called it my life purpose. Also Sherlock Holmes (or should I say Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) wrote that one should follow one purpose only - and not deal with anything else around it.

I'll be sure to drop you a p.m many times - just remember! you asked for it!

Happy birthday in 6 days! You have a whole life ahead of you to accomplish things. Certainly you are a bit unrealistic if you expect to be king of the world at age 20.

I surely am not realistic. But I know what I'm capable of - and if I wasn't so lazy you'd of heard my name in the news.

mines in a few days too...and im turning twenty...small world

Small sad world, Happy Birthday mate.

==========================================

Thank you all for commenting.

It made my day today much brighter - I didn't expect I'll get so much support here.

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
Today 8:37 AM
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
Today 1:37 AM
-->
Happy almost birthday. :)

I surely am not realistic. But I know what I'm capable of - and if I wasn't so lazy you'd of heard my name in the news.

Yes. mine too.

Instead of writing some patronizing thing about how you are barely starting your journey as an adult contributing to this world and that you have more life ahead of you than you understand yet, because I know all I did was resent those sorts of things when people said them to me when I was 20ish, so it is mostly pointless to say those sots of things to another and just makes me sound like I am out of touch with any real memory of what it is like to be a youth stuck between angst and adulthood with both pulling hard, instead of saying those things I will tell you about my grandpa, who was *almost* certainly an INTP and whose name never really appeared in the news but who used his intelligence and abilities to create something useful and amazing that he made his fortune from but didn't get around to it until he was in his late fifties, after spending 20 years in the army traveling the world and raising a family and working for various other companies after his army career ended, it wasn't until he was pushed into relying on his own ideas after being laid off that he finally was able to bring them to fruition and what he created has helped in a small but significant way to protect our nation and advance scientific studies of the deep oceans (he created a very quality and efficient form of high pressure resilient high energy density battery that was bought by the government). But the point is he didn't get around to bothering to do it until he was in his late fifties.

You'll get to it. :)

Stoic Beverage

has a wide pancake of knowledge
Local time
Today 3:37 AM
-->
I'm younger than you, and because of it have no experience in the "real world". I can't give you the advice that these others are giving. If it's any help, though, I hope things turn out well for you.
Also, if you do end up becoming fabulously wealthy, I'll expect considerable compensation for the clearly significant encouragement I have offered.

Beholder

What for?
Local time
-->
Congratulations on finishing the army! Your life sounds like garbage at the moment, which will make it so much better when you get over it. What classes did you miss for your bagrut? Good luck on working.

My life's not garbage, I was exaggerating, it's just not exactly where I would like it to be.

I can't enjoy no-control over my status in life.
That's exactly what you should be enjoying! Since you have no control caring is stupid, just don't give a shit

I think this is how all intps feel.

as I'm sitting on the ruling side of the table.
Ok, now I have to ask, what do you do in M.P.?

LPolaright

Mentalist
Local time
-->
My life's not garbage, I was exaggerating, it's just not exactly where I would like it to be.

That's exactly what you should be enjoying! Since you have no control caring is stupid, just don't give a shit

I think this is how all intps feel.

Ok, now I have to ask, what do you do in M.P.?

Investigating.
I can't not give a shit - I'm constantly looking to be better then myself.

You'll get to it.

I want to get to it several times in my life.
I want it now! and I can't believe that my will to get it is not enough by now.

Crazythinker1

Quiet, I'am thinking
Local time
Today 4:37 AM
-->
Be patient. You'll get there soon enough

TakiHime

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:37 AM
-->
Sounds like you and I are exactly the same age... And I feel basically the same way. Ive accomplished a few things. (Like gettin' married :O ).. But all my goals still seem very far off... (art school, etc..) Guess I just wanted to say that I get the feeling.
Now if only this feeling of a lack of accomplishment would actually be enough to motivate me to accomplish something...
Also I seem to remember said Sir Doyle shares that same date of birth. (May 22 if my math is right.. eh)

intpz

Banned
Local time
Today 9:37 AM
-->
As the title suggests, I'm turning 20 in a week (6 days, actually) and I feel like I have accomplished nothing. My world revolves around loads of thinking but no actual doing (as an INTP).

Here is what I did manage to do so far (as in, the past 20 years):

(Side project)
*Think about my main start-up I'm working on.

(Purpose)
*Thinking about my main purpose in life -
to analyze people in an extraordinary observational way and to use these skills to expect behaviors -
possibly work as an FBI agent.

(Army)
*Being half-way done with my army service in the IDF.

(Learning)
(hopefully during army service I'll be able to complete the first year of the degree).

(Understanding)
*Develop my basic knowledge on how an average human being works.

(Music)
*Learnt how to play the Guitar and Piano, and begun learning Violin and I'm developing my voice.

(Social)
*I have a girlfriend for 4 years now.
And that's it so far.

When I wrote it, I felt like I actually did do some substantial work.

But then looking at myself I expected me to be the next Mark Zukerberg of atleast one thing by the age of 20. I'm not looking for fame and fortune but rather honor and reputation from a lot more then my immediate surroundings. I'm looking to be all knowing, and for others to realize that I'm maybe a bit smarter then average.

Also, I feel quite neglected in the forums - as every substantial post I've made received 0 comments.

I'm 20, I haven't accomplished nothing either, hence my other topic about INTPs being lackeys.

I've also thought about a side project, I thought that army is a good place if you wanna be pushed around by authority figures, no education after high-school and quite poor grades in high-school, since I wasn't interested in what most teacher had to say and in what, according to our minister of education, we have to learn, have thought what I want to do as well, realized that understanding "how human works" is natural, therefore I didn't have to understand how does a human being work, I haven't learned to play any instruments as I don't have money to buy them, though I'd like to try some, I haven't had a girlfriend and I don't have any friends.

I also was expecting to make something big (or at least something that I could live from) by the age of 20, now I pushed the date a couple of years, but I've doubts if I'll ever do that.

LPolaright

Mentalist
Local time
-->
I wonder how many of us, INTPs, failed according to our ego standards of our teens... Looking at it from an observational out-of-self point of view I would tend towards the fact, that we never outgrow our teenage self and keep on procrastinating our ideas until we find a companion that will help us.

By the way, I has found an E/I-NTP in my base!
It's almost as though the world gave me a birthday gift!
And we're currently working on that side-project.

What's strange is that after I've exposed him to the MBTI system he seems to think I'm INTJ rather then INTP. But we both agreed it's because of the army profession in the end, and because I am a bit more J than him. Though, it left me wondering... a bit.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
Today 4:37 AM
-->
I'll be 20 in a few months and feel the exact same way. Only I have less to speak for since I have no military experience and have never had any relationships (though this doesn't bother me).

I have developed my philosophical beliefs quite a lot, and for that I am happy. But it is time to start branching out. I want to learn much more about computers, programming, and physics. Also, learning how to produce music/proficiently play instruments and make images in GIMP would be awesome as creative outlets and would be about all that I would ever need in that respect.

Good luck with accomplishing your goals.

Top Bottom