• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Othello? (1604) Shakespeare

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 10:14 AM
-->
Othello is based on "A Moorish Captain", by Cinthio, from 1535.

My real life experiences keep reminding me of this, for some reason. It is either that people are experts on this and are abusing it, or they never read or saw the play. It's about a moor with a fair wife, and his jealous ensign who plots his ruin via manipulation, so that Othello ends up killing her (Desdemona), then himself. It's a tragedy, basically not unlike Romeo & Juliet (1594) except the main character is a black man, although the girl is still white.

I don't think knowledge of this work will stop people from being an Iago.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
"How am I then a villain? When this advice I give is free and honest."

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
“Iago hates Othello for promoting a younger man named Cassio above him, whom Iago considers a less capable soldier than himself, and tells Roderigo that he plans to exploit Othello for his own advantage. Iago convinces Roderigo to wake Brabantio and tell him about his daughter's elopement. Meanwhile, Iago sneaks away to find Othello and warns him that Brabantio is coming for him.”

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
While realizing I made two of these threads one in literature and the other in film it was to highlight the two aspects. Although, I’m not sure how to optimize it since it didn’t work, and you could just talk about both in the same thread. :good:

Top Bottom